“For undemanding early morning birds who like unfriendly staff”
Review of Five Kings Hotel

Five Kings Hotel
Ranked #928 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 May 2014

A friend of mine and I had booked a double room with breakfast for two nights in January 2014.

I had e-mailed them that my friend would check-in around 18:00 and that I would arrive around 22:00, but apparently overwhelmed the Five Kings by that. At first they did not want to let me in, had never heard of Agoda, did as if my friend had not checked-in until I discovered his name on a piece of paper. Eventually, we found him fast asleep in a clean and quiet, but very narrow room with a toilet cell so small that people with long legs cannot close the door when using the cell.

The main surprise awaited us the next morning, however. We showed up around 09:30 - to learn that breakfast is only available until 08:45 - as written on a sheet which was sticking on the reception window and which can easily be overlooked when the window is open, as it usually is when people are checking-in. Neither cereals, nor slices of bread, nor orange juice! All past the deadline! Tough luck!

The following morning, we got up earlier. A maid was puttering in the kitchen - and finally took a seat in the breakfast room for watching TV. When I asked the young woman about the fully-cooked breakfast, she replied in an unfriendly manner that I had to order what I would like on the previous day. I requested a boiled egg anyhow and was told that they have bacon and beans, which she reluctantly prepared for us.

My impression: they have their regular guests and are not interested in others. If you are not a regular guest, only book with them when you can make sure that you and your room-mate check-in together, when you are used to reading all postings, also the hidden ones, in a hotel's lobby on checking-in, and when you are an undemanding early morning bird who likes unfriendly staff.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Nico5082

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Unfortunately we were disappointed with our room at the Five Kings Hotel, for the price we paid the room was incredibly small with not even enough room for our luggage on the floor. The bathroom was not big enough to fit in, but thankfully there are also shared facilities to use. The cleanliness was fine and the staff were lovely, cooking us breakfast each morning. My main issue is that I don't think they should be promoting themselves as a Hotel, but rather a hostel or something similar as the quality of the room was only what you would expect from cheaper shared accommodations.

Room Tip: No comment.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 March 2014

First thing to say...never stay in this hotel!! Filthy filthy filthy!!

I was too afraid to touch anything it was so dirty. The shower curtain in the bathroom was one of the muckiest I have ever seen in my life. I'm guessing at some point it was white but it was an awful brown colour with the depth of dirt on it! I'm hoping I can upload photographs!!! Dirty duvet covers, extremely dusty curtains. It was so vile in the end I stayed with friends.

If you're thinking of staying here...my advice DON'T!!!

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank Annette_Irish
Reviewed 21 February 2014

The hotel was okay, but the girl working there, was rude to every guest that weekend we were there. So if you don't mind having an earful, then it's probably you. A couple of guests, which just appeared, rang the wrong doorbell (there are two, so beware), and she opened the door very angry, "YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSSED TO RING ON THAT BELL!". The day after, my girlfriend went down to get some breakfast, and had done a plate for herself and a cup of coffee, then she was yelled out of the eating area, because they close at a 9, sharp! (apparantly, we didn't know, just thought the kitchen closed), she wasn't even started eating yet. Some asians tried to speak a little english, they weren't really good at it, but she gave them a hard time, clearly being annoyed by their presence, and raising her voice at them, so they looked a bit scared of her. We won't be using this place again, reminds me of Fawlty Towers, just not as funny.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trawizz
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Welcome was not that friendly. We were told that we ring the wrong bell, didn't get any new towels and had to sleep in a small bed with two persons. The rooms are very small, not clean and the bed is terrible. Breakfast is served till 9.15 am, but they move the clock forward so that you are too late. Breakfast is ok and included. Next time I would choose another place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 December 2013

You get what you pay for. The rooms are small for two people, and en suite toilet/shower is tiny. The water pressure is London standard ie: dance around the shower head for any wetness. Cooked breakfast is basic, but good quality.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2013

I stayed here for one night. Most locations under GBP100 a night and not too far from the centre were booked, so I turned to this b'n'b.
It's situated in a quiet part of Islington, 15 min bus from Kings Cross / St Pancras (the nearby tube was closed for maintenance). Typical old row house, with a rather pretty garden at the back.
Our room on the ground floor was very small, just fitting the bed and space to open two doors. Old furniture, a flimsy tent to cover the window, a teeny tiny bathroom. What bothered me were the paper-thin walls: I could hear everything in the hallway and stairs. I don't know if other rooms are as bad.
Wi-fi worked well and the breakfast, with English option, was ok.
London is expensive, but GBP99 for this felt like too much.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple