“Fantastic modern hotel that is excellent value” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #296 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Kent, England
“Fantastic modern hotel that is excellent value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed 2 nights in Jan 2013 at the Rafayel. First impressions were very good, as we walked up to the hotel it was very modern looking and the reception area continued this theme. We travelled into London Victoria station and got the 170 bus which stops right outside the hotel (this only took about 20 mins). The 44 bus also goes from Victoria and stops on the adjacent main road.
The man on reception was very welcoming and explained about the restaurant offering 50% off at the time when getting 2 courses (excl. breakfast) and about the courtesy shuttle to Clapham junction (national rail) or Clapham Common (underground). As we were going out within the next hour he booked the shuttle for us. We had a Yangtze room on the 3rd floor which was very roomy, modern and clean. It had a large LCD TV and very high spec bathroom with large walk-in mixer shower.
The man that took us to Clapham station in the shuttle was very friendly and helpful. We were there in a few minutes (it's about a 10-12 min walk).
It's only 10 minutes to Waterloo or London Bridge from Clapham.
We used the gym and jacuzzi. The jacuzzi was lovely and warm and the gym was more than adequate with lots of choice of cardio and weight machines. It also had a nice view of the river.
There was a small problem with ordering room service late. I rang up at 10.45pm to order a snack and I was put through several times until I was speaking to the correct person. I suggest the room service menu is updated with the after hours extension, this I found later to be in the welcome pack, but I was put through back and forth between the kitchen and the night porter. Once I ordered the food it did come promptly (within about 15 mins).
I also felt the shower could do with a small shelf to put your own shower gels, shampoos etc on, as I nearly slipped bending down to pick up my toiletries from the shower tray.
We were also missing the TV remote when we first went to our room but this was replaced quickly once reported to reception.
Overall this was a very enjoyable stay and excellent value. Always check the hotel rates on their own website as they were better than all the comparison hotel sites offered (which is very unusual and I was very impressed).
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again when on business or leisure in London. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (421)
  • Polish first
Belfast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013

Stayed here last week for one night with my partner in the Thames Suite. We stayed here last year but in the Amazon Room.

On arrival the reception staff were friendly, attentive, polite and quickly took our bags and showed us to our room. The view from the room was fantastic. It over looked the Thames and we also got to see a couple of helicopters land and take off.

The room was very spacious however some minor details let it down. The carpet was poorly installed and the joins were coming apart. The tv above the bath was not working and the mp3 sound system in the room was not working. I telephoned reception and they said someone would come over and have a look. We left for the evening and came back to discover that nothing had been done. I rang reception again and they sent someone over immediately. The sound system got fixed. The wallpaper is ripped in several locations too.

The large, comfortable beds in Rafayel are always a delight. We slept very well and the next morning ordered breakfast and got this delivered to the room. The food was delicious, and very plentiful.

The first trip to this hotel was excellent but the second time has disappointed us. I would be reluctant to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2013 via mobile

My wife an I stayed at hotel Rafayel for a long weekend in London.
I honestly can't fault the hotel at all, the room was spacious, well equipped and clean. We had an amazon room without the Thames view (213), which would have been the only thing to have made it better but was I little too expensive for us.
The bed was big and comfy. Bathroom massive with an amazing shower.
Minibar well stocked and not too expensive really.
Overall we were very happy and will be staying here again.

• Stayed February 2013
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Travelled world extensively business and pleasure and not many places come immediately to mind that can be compared to the care, service and attention that the staff gave us to make sure our stay a perfect one.....awesome. The apartment was excellent, clean and unbelievably quite, we couldn't hear a sound and we both had a great nights sleep. It had everything you need for a relaxing stay, just a pity our daughter wasn't with us to share the apartments second bedroom. Sadly we only had one night and wish we had more time to stay but we'll definitely be returning and hopefully soon.

Special mention to Taqi who helped us during checked in, during our stay and with everything else. That said a big thanks to all the staff they were all, without exemption, courteous, helpful, friendly and couldn't do enough to make our stay perfect, thank you. I was sat in the lounge and even the owner (I think it was the owner) approached me and asked if I needed anything and was everything okay for me, wonderful. To many times these days you have to ask for everything, not here...they ask you.

The restaurant food early evening was divine, well presented and served with smiles from everyone, as was the breakfast buffet. Special mention at breakfast for Aga for the excellent breakfast service with a great big smile, it just makes you feel better yourself. Aga went out of her way to make sure we had everything we needed wonderful, most enjoyable.

It's a little out the town but the free shuttle service was more than compensation for this. We arranged to be collected at a specific time on Saturday evening and the driver was on time, polite and friendly. No need to stay in the centre when you have service like this.

Checkout was carried out efficiently and our car was brought round right on time.

I'd have no hesitation in recommending the Rafayel.

Thanks for making our weekend-away-to-chill a perfect one.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Keith K
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

What can I say... It was all that I was looking for and more. Staff were amazing... Rooms spectacular... Food great... Would highly recommend!!! Best of all fantastic value for money... Like I said what more can I say... : )

• Stayed February 2013
Goodwick Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2013

A welcoming owner very pleasant attentive staff excellent food in hotel restaurant all helped to make a memorable visit to London. From the time we walked into the hotel we were made to feel very at home and every request was dealt with speedily by the staff. We would definitely book here again!
H&L. Goodwick

Room Tip: If you want a view of the river request when booking. Number 170 bus to Sloane Square stops outside...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Samoens, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2013

I have just completed my second stay at the Rafayel and it is a hotel that is hard to fault. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and power shower is up there with the best I have ever used anywhere in the world. The staff are pleasant and accommodating and very willing to please. The restaurant offers a good breakfast and a nice fusion dining menu of Anglo/Indian fair. The half price deal for guests taking two or more courses is an inspired touch and makes eating in a very reasonable choice.
The location is not ideal but the shuttle to Clapham works reasonably well. My only small complaint was that on meeting me at the station and not seeing me standing where I was asked to stand, the driver didn't make any attempt to get out of his car to look for me and refused to phone my overseas cell phone as he was obliged to use his personal phone. This resulted in an unnecessary 15 minutes standing around on a cold, dark evening. However, the 170 bus right outside will take you into Chelsea or Victoria in under 30 minutes and taxis pass on the main drag all the time.
Once you get used to the best ways of getting in and out of the hotel, all else is spectacularly good and I certainly plan to use it every time I am in London.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business