“very pleasant hotel”

Ranked #314 of 1,069 Hotels in London
ire
“very pleasant hotel”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We found this hotel and staff to be very pleasant, nice modern very clean hotel are stay was very pleasant indeed, we stayed for 3 nights, the only issue we had with our stay was that the hotel which was a bit off the beaten track and taxis from clapham common were a rip off but the hotel do provide a shuttle service from Clapham junction and clapham common stations. But if you are out and about in the city for a day trip it is hassle getting to either station by Tube or train.

Room Tip: A/C was noisy and can be controlled by the comfort zone settings on the tv as are the lights, we had...
1 Thank shane73Ire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I will try and explain why this hotel is so bad, but the list of faults and problems is lengthy, but I'll try so sum it up in one sentence. It is awful.

Here's why -

I have no idea why it is claimed that it is 10 minutes walk from Clapham Junction is beyond me. Usain Bolt could not do it in 10 minutes. It took 13 minutes by the shuttle minibus from the hotel. I know this because I timed it. The hotel is basically in an industrial estate. You get a lovely view of Wickes DIY store from the window of our room! really would not like to walk from Battersea village to the hotel. It just does not feel safe.

I called the hotel from Clapham to pick me up on their shuttle minibus but it didnt turn up. Later, when we wanted to use the minibus to get into London, we were told that the wait would be more than 1 1/2 hours.

The hotel is a £15 taxi ride from Earl's Court. The shuttle bus finishes at about 10pm. Should you readers, in a fit of madness, actually book this hotel, factor in that you will need a taxi to get to the hotel after hours.

The website looks lovely and sleek, but the room I thought I was getting was actually tiny. The website gives dimensions of the class of room, (named after rivers) and the size on the website was quite impressive. The room we actually got was nowhere near the dimensions of what was advertised. I can feel a trade descriptions complaint coming on.

The room was, frankly, filthy. The carpet was heavily stained. Out of sheer annoyance I counted the stains - 13. Not little ones either. One was a coffee stain the size of a dinner plate.

The air conditioning was also a source of merriment. We stayed in the heatwave of July. No matter what, the air conditioning poured out hot air. I did mention this at reception, but it was like talking to a wall. The temperature did not change. At one point, during the night , it was 28 degrees. I know because I measured it. The room was awful at that point- hot and sticky to the point where we had to open the room door to let cold air in.

The shower was entertaining, but not in a good way. The shower regulator was so ill adjusted that you either got a full body blast of freezing water or drenched overhead in scalding water. Just turning the regulator a millimeter too far in any direction and you got the joys of both experiences.

There were bathrobes provided. I would not want to wear one as they were stained and had big hairs left on them. One of them was ripped. We put the most offensive one on the floor with the used towels to be collected by room service, but they just put it back on the hook again.

The coffee and tea supplies were not replenished for one of the days...........................

I could go on, but I think my message is clear now - go to a hotel where the professionals run it.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank harveyt252
Malcolm_Bass, Director at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Dear Guest,

We write in response to your very injudicious and unfair review about your stay with us. It is both shocking and surprising that you have written this review 3 months after your stay. We wonder what took you so long if your stay was as bad as you say. You may be a senior reviewer in this forum but sadly got this one completely wrong, blown out of proportion and written with the sole intent of damaging our reputation. We intend to respond to each and every one of the issues you have highlighted.

We are not far from the city as you have mentioned, and you knew where you were coming to when you booked our Hotel. This is total blackmail aimed at destroying our business. Your explanation of timing to Clapham Junction is wrong. The timing of the shuttle will depend on the traffic as it has to pass three sets of traffic lights on busy roads, however an average person will take only 10 minutes to walk to the Clapham Junction station.

Please note that we are not in the midst of an industrial state. Battersea has become a very modern area and the most expensive property along the river is only 150 metres from us. Falcon Wharf where our Hotel is located is expensive too. A one bedroom 800 square foot apartment sells at half a million pounds. The hotel is on the same line along the Thames River and is situated between what B Battersea is. It has a mix. This is not Belgravia and this is why you pay much less for a 5 star property here.

We have checked our records regarding your comment about the one and a half wait to take our shuttle. This is total fabrication from your side. Our shuttle runs every 30 minutes. We have two vehicles in operation. Regarding the taxi fares, it would cost the same anywhere in London. This is common sense but you still decided to choose Battersea. Your whole attempt is to discredit our location and this is what shocks us the most. We are proud to say we have an 80% return customer base, which clearly indicates that location is not a problem.

With reference to your room, you must have booked a Basic Mississippi room, which is the cheapest room category, yet not less than 200 square foot in size. Yes, we admit that the carpets which were of a light colour, resulted in being stained due to spillage by guests at times, but in no way to the extent you have mentioned. We have changed the carpets in the entire hotel a few months ago to overcome this problem. Your comments regarding the air conditioning is not true. We have the most sophisticated automated VDA system in our Hotel, where you can control the temperature in your room via your TV remote controls. Yours is a very rare complaint about the air conditioning. We have installed the most expensive eco friendly Daikin air conditioning system in the Hotel. We take pride in our products and we are ready to challenge anyone including you and your expert to come and check on us and all these baseless allegations.

By answering like this to you we are raising the bar for ourselves and our future customers will check us on that as it shows from our research that the negative reviews are read the most. The benefit for us is that people read our responses and find the truth, and if there is a false answer they will discover it, and we are aware of that too.

Our young and enthusiastic staff are trained to react to guests in every situation and we are conscious and proud of what we do. We invite you to our facebook page where hundreds of our guests have uploaded pictures of the hotel and our restaurant, along with glowing comments.

Our showers are the most expensive Roca Showers. Yes, they are a bit complicated. However, instructions are provide in every bathroom. They are designed to give enough temperature and pressure of water and are especially designed by Roca and can be found in the newly built Terminal 5, at Heathrow Airport. Again your cynicism is baseless. These showers reduce the amount of water being used whilst maintaining a good pressure and cost £450 per unit. Your view is a negative and detrimental attitude towards us.

Our laundry by appointment is Blossom & Browne Laundry, one of the best in town handling the laundering of many five star hotels. All our linen is of Egyptian cotton. Our bathrobes are so comfortable and of luxurious quality, that we have lost over 1000 during the past 4 years. Yet, we continue to provide them as a matter of service.

Our hotel is all about the quality of rooms, lobby, ambience, cleanliness, and service. You compromised on location for a quality Hotel and now you are trying to destroy us. You are attacking established techniques like Phillips, Hafler, VDA, Hypnos and Dakin. We could go on.

You didn’t speak to us at any stage and neither did you complain. Hence we were unable to trace you. None of your complaints were brought to our notice. How surprising. As mentioned earlier, the best publicity we get is replying to people like you and we take pride in doing so. You may be a senior reviewer, but we want to expose your lies about us. Yours is just a poor exercise to destroy our business.

We thank you for staying with us but your effort to discredit and damage the reputation of our small boutique hotel which has thrived with our most genuine efforts to offer our very best both in product and services to over a hundred and fifty thousand guests during the past 4 years in operation, is totally rejected by us.

Kind Regards
The Management
Crowborough, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Great hotel!! When we first arrived at Clapham Junction station we thought it was going to be a long walk but it wasn't! Only took about 10 mins. We had a really good 2 night stay at the hotel. The staff were very helpful with any questions we had. The room was lovely & big!! Plus had an AMAZING shower! The shuttle service from the hotel was fab (even though not a long walk, very nice to have when in a hurry & have heavy bags etc) We had yummy cocktails in the bar & enjoyed our 50% off food as a hotel guest in the resturant one evening which was good! Can recommened the seafood pasta :) Didn't get to use the spa area or have treatments.. there wasn't enough.. but if we come back we would. Will recommened this hotel to people. Liked how modern it was but also had a environmentally friendly touch.. not seen that from a hotel before. Thanks for a brilliant stay.

3 Thank Alice C
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed 3 nights in room 223, which was massive!!! A jacuzzi too and huge bathroom.
We had a problem finding the hotel on the first day and had to walk for miles, but once we were used to where it was, we managed fine. If you walk to battersea bridge along the riverside path, there are lots of buses into town from there.
The only downside for me was that the rooms were very dark. Could do with some more light or a magnifying mirror to put make up on.
I would stay again though! Also lovely Lebanese at battersea square just along the road, the mazoor, I think!

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Me and a friend stayed at this hotel on the 7th October 2013 for the night everything from getting off the train to getting to the hotel was easy we had to wait for our taxi service but its what you expect for being in London wait was no more than 15 mins. When we got to the hotel the lobby was amazing we went to check in but our room wasn't ready so went across to the bar that's over the courtyard they had a nice out doors sitting area and luckily the sun was out so we sat outside and had a few beers :). I left the bar leaving my friend in there to go see if the room was ready as I was in reception I was approached by one of the bar staff a short guy who wanted the money for my drinks even though I said to him my friends still in there I am coming back anyway without any arguments etc I said sorry mate and handed him a £20 i said can you bring my change up to my room or leave with reception my room which never happened!.. I rung my friend and told him to meet me, the room was big and was very nice also had a massive bathroom with big showers took me awhile to figure out to work it lol all in all the stay was excellent the rooms were plenty big enough and the hotel grounds/bar was fantastic only down side was the changed situation.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

I've recently had the most marvellous weekend at the Rafayel Hotel. I initially chose this hotel for its location as I had travelled down to see a Turkish band who were playing in Wandsworth and therefore wanted to be south of the river. I also decided that I would stay a second night and do some sightseeing, which I did as well as take in a couple of galleries. There are bus stops right outside of the hotel and with the aid of a couple of bus maps it was easy to make my way around London.

Everyone I encountered, from the reception staff to the staff in the bar/restaurant was very welcoming, kind and efficient. As a single female I did wonder whether I would feel comfortable in the bar and so to begin with I just ordered a soft drink. However I found myself still sitting at the bar at 2 in the morning, having enjoyed the lovely ambience of the place and some really nice conversations.

I chose a Yangtse room because the website said these rooms had partial views of the Thames. It was the perfect room, and I loved both going to sleep and waking up with views of the river. The beds were so comfortable that I had difficulty in getting up in time for breakfast, but I'm glad I did as the breakfast was a veritable feast.

The bathroom was luxurious and the shower was amazing. It was also good to be able to control the heating/air con to a specific temperature and have the ability to switch it off which I did before sleeping.

To sum up, the hotel is amazing and I am already planning my return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Our 2 night stay in this fabulous Hotel was absolutely wonderful, all of the staff were extremely helpful, our room was superb with amazing view over the Thames, truly excellent restaurant and bar too. Being able to park your car safely in their underground car-park was also a great facility and we shall certainly return at our earliest opportunity!

In our opinion the Rafayel on the Left Bank is definitely to be recommended.