“The Hidden Gem of London”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #348 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I’ve never written a review to a hotel before, but from numerous positive experiences from staying at Rafayel, I felt compelled to do so.

I’ve stayed at many hotels in London but I genuinely feel this hotel is the most clean, stylish and modern. I guarantee you will be pleasantly surprised by the size and quality your room and bathroom, whatever your price point.

I also strongly recommend their restaurant i.e. Banyan on the Thames. Apart from the very good food, the bar and the general view of the Thames is absolutely gorgeous.

I couldn’t recommend this place enough!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John K
Write a ReviewReviews (2,091)

Reviewed 9 February 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights 7th and 8th of February 2014. We booked the cheaper room due to limited funds. When we arrived we were shown to our room which was spacious and clean at the front of the hotel, we did however mention to Maria at reception that we were hoping for a room with a view of the Thames, she asked us to leave it with her for ten minutes and she would see what she could do. She came back to us within ten minutes with a free upgrade to a choice of two suites, of which we chose suite 603, two bedrooms two bathrooms three balconies with views over the Thames, fully fitted kitchen, and huge lounge/diner, so obviously we were chuffed to bits. The hotel staff couldn't be more helpful, even recommending best routes for our trips and printing them of for us. We only ate breakfasts at the hotel due to trips out, started with fresh fruit salad with strawberries, freshly squeezed orange, coffee, and a great full English fry up. I would and am recommending this hotel to everyone. A special thanks to Maria at reception who couldn't be any more helpfull. Only got back today and already planning our next trip their. Regards, Mark Ockham and Donna Fleming

Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Mark O
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I can honestly say I have never stayed in a hotel were the staff were so helpful they couldn't have done more to assist us in anything we requested they were all amazing ( Maria on reception ) was lovely. we were given a free upgrade. The food was lovely.the hotel was so very clean the apartments were luxury. Ignore any negative reviews they are complete rubbish. I could not fault this hotel in any way. The service is second to none.thank you for making our weekend so amazing. Well done hotel rafayel

Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Good value hotel right on the river. Excellent restaurant - one of the best steaks I've had in a long time and a fantastic view to boot. Great walk from the hotel up river to Battersea Bridge through Chelsea then along the Kings Road. The courier service works well or else the 170 bus from Clapham junction Station drops you right outside . Ike, the owner is very friendly, hands on and eager to please. As a result the service is excellent

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Boskenna
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Short notice business in London found me in need of a comfortable hotel, not far from the centre of Town, and without the requirement to spend lottery money on it. Rafayel offered, what looked like, a great deal and so it turned out to be. Anyone arriving by car will note the narrow approach to the hotel and the small arrival space. However, upon making myself known at Reception, the charming Receptionist quickly arranged for another member of staff to take the vehicle away to their spacious underground parking, where it remained for the two days I stayed; at £15 per day, a steal for Central London! My room was spacious and extremely well equipped, with a huge bed, contemporary bathroom, dressing area with built-in cupboards, work station, minibar/tea making recess et al. The many picture windows looked out over a main road and a builders yard, but I was not there for the view. Despite it being quite cold outside, I found the room hot and the AC controls would not permit a temperature lower than 21 deg C which, for me, is a tad warm overnight. The staff at Rafayel are a truly international mix and most of them appear well trained and helpful, with a good command of English. Of particular note is the main barman who, in a former life, was an Armenian Vet! His warm humour and sheer skill with a cocktail cannot go unreported. Breakfast was my only point of criticism. Although the food was generally to a high standard, service was somewhat chaotic. For example, on one day it took 20 minutes and two reminders to achieve my egg of choice. Be that as it may, the staff were very adept at apology and genuinely seemed to care about their guests. Unfortunately, business prevented me from taking dinner, which was a shame since the menu looked very appealing and a 50% discount equally seductive. Overall, my stay at the Rafayel exceeded expectation and represented excellent value for money.

Room Tip: If you are staying for a holiday, go for a river view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We recently booked a package at The River Wellbeing Spa, and had an absoultly fantastic day.
The Spa was lovely and our treatments were amazing!
Topped off by the friendly and helpful staff, expecially the very accomodating young receptionist who went out of her way to help us throughout the day!!
We will definately be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I booked this hotel for my partners 30th birthday, i work for a hotel chain myself but wanted to book something a bit more nicer to really enjoy our weekend away. I called the hotel serval times before arriving and they did say they may be able to upgrade beacuse of the birthday and they would decorate the room accordingly, if the hotel wasnt fully booked. when we arrived nothing was mentioned about an upgrade. Check in was fine but as i was happy to pay the £50 card desposit for the mini bar ect but they could have asked or explained it better. The room we got was there standard room overlooking the main road so wasnt the greatest view. Also on their website it doesnt state that not all rooms have a bath, all we got in our room was a shower however it didnt bother us too much just would have been nice to choose between a bath or shower. the room was spacous, but found quite a few patches of dust and one of our bed side lights were not working one of the nights. During the night we turned off the heating but the room was very hot! as there was no windows to open in the room and we couldnt figure out if there was air con, so both nights we found it very hard to get a decent sleep. We also found they only give you two tea bags and you have to request more, one night my partner asked twice for tea bags to be brought to the room before anyone did anything about it. I was impressed with the shuttle service but sometimes there was a delay of up to 2 hours, so sometimes we just walked to our destination which wasnt great when the rain started. My only big issue with this hotel is the staff do not offer a 5 star service. I felt like the staff were under trained which was a massive shame, it seemed like the only word they used when things go a little wrong was 'im sorry' and they wernt capable to dealing with issues they just left it up to us to deal with it, they seems ditsy and unproffesional at times. there could be up to 4 people behind the reception desk and none of them even thought to say hi is there anything i can help with (im not sure if im more aware of these things because i work in the hotel industry) surely if your offering a 5 star hotel each and every member of staff should be going above and beyond the call of duty and remember the guests come first!! we werent planning on eating in the restaurant but our plans changed one of the nights so decided to stay in and go there for some food. the food was PERFECT, one of the best meals ive had in a long time. As we went for the 2 course we had a main and a dessert and because they didnt want us to go without a starter they brought out a bread board which i thought was a really nice touch and kept us going before the mains came out. Only grumple was the drinks were quite expensive but you get that in most places. In all we had a great time and my partner was happy that the hotel recongised he had a birthday from the card in the room. But i am not certain it was a 5 star and was a massive shame about the staff issues beacuse it could have been a brilliant hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephk89
Malcolm_Bass, Director at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate your feedback, despite the few negative comments to which we wish to respond. While we appreciate compliments and criticism alike, our policy dictates that we apologise for any mistakes we make and take corrective action when wrong. It is always our main priority to ensure our guests are happy and that their stay is made as pleasant and as enjoyable as possible.

We are sorry to hear of the disappointment expressed regarding the cleanliness of the room. This is a very rare occurrence and we have alerted our Head Housekeeper of your comments. Our bathrooms are fitted with Bristan rain showers with more pressure of water but less consumption. All rooms have the rain showers which have both body and telephonic showers, and some rooms contain a bath as well. Unfortunately the category of room you booked does not have a bath.

All our rooms have state of the art Daikin air conditioning which is noiseless and could be controlled via the TV remote control. Had you called the 24 hour reception desk the temperature could have been adjusted to your liking from the master computer.

With regard to your comments on our staff, when staffing, we believe in giving equal opportunities. We have over 20 nationalities working for us and spoken English is an essential criterion for employment. We accept the limited language skills of some of our staff, but they do speak English, which is a must to work in any hotel. We see it as our responsibility to help nurture the development of our young team. Assistance with their communication skills is a part of that process and we take pride in doing so. We have trained them to the highest level of proficiency to take challenges. Most of the guests take exception to their effusive warmth and perceived it as over-familiarity. We hope you appreciate that we need to strike the right balance in our approach for the comfort of our guests. We have taken your comments on board and will continue to train them and emphasise on customer satisfaction.

We offer a free shuttle service to the train and tube stations that operates every half hour from the hotel in an effort to facilitate our guest’s convenience and economical needs. Guests are required to book this half an hour in advance and then wait in the main lobby for the driver to collect them for departure. We were perturbed to note that you had a delay of 2 hours which we investigated. Our records do not indicate any such delays or cancellations at the time of your stay with us.

As a young hotel with a motivated and enthusiastic staff who loves doing that extra bit to help our guests we take pride in what we do. We have to ensure that the high quality and standards are maintained at reasonable rates to survive in a competitive environment. Hence our slogan “affordable luxury.” This certainly does not mean we try to create a false impression of being the best, but focus on ways and means to maximize the comfort and experience of our guests.

We thank you again for your review and look forward to welcome you back as one of our many repeat guests, sometime in the future.

Kind Regards