“lovely spot in london”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #310 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“lovely spot in london”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2014

We stayed at the Rafayel hotel for one night on the spa and stay package. The hotel itself was quite nice with stylish decor; our room was a tad smaller than what I had expected but was still ok. For obvious reasons the ipod dock facility in the room is very low as I can imagine it would be abused if allowed to go up too loud and disturb other guests however we could barely hear the music. Our room was well decorated with a great shower. What made the stay for us though were the spa facilities. The massage was amazing and the jacuzzi was also great. Because the spa is quite small, using the jacuzzi was quite dificult in the evening as it got very busy. We had our lunch and evening dinner at the hotel restaurant and loved it. The lamb for lunch was one of the best i've had and also the cocktails served were great although a little pricey at £10 per glass at its cheapest.

There is a free shuttle service taking you to clapham junction although when we enquired about the service being availble to clapham common we were told that the service was unavailable. In allthe service was great. We left our laptop at the reception when we checked in as we wanted to go strsight for our massage and it was taken up to our room when we got there. Staff were very friendly and attentive.

Will definitely stay there again although they could improve on making the spa a little bigger

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

Stayed for two nights with my husband and our son to visit friends in Battersea and for sightseeing in London. Had a wonderful stay. Our room was perfect with a partial Thames view, minibar and safe. The bathroom was beautiful and the shower was huge with powerful jets. There is a good hairdryer in the room too! Staff are welcoming and helpful. Discount is offered in the restaurant for residents. Hotel runs a courtesy bus to Clapham Junction. We would definitely recommend this hotel either for business or pleasure.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
hertfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Visited the Spa at the Hotel Rafayel on Monday 3 rd March, with my friend, for a day visit. We had booked the exotic coconut ritual wrap. The whole day was fantastic. From the lovely welcome we got from the very polite girl on the reception desk. We enjoyed the jacuzzi which was clean as was the whole area, the sauna and the hydro pool. Changing rooms and showers clean and tidy.
The actual treatment was one of the best I have ever had. The therapist was very professional and excellent at her job. Just the right pressure for the deep tissue massage. I felt very relaxed. The treatment room had a very relaxing and calming feel to it.
The complimentary champagne was just the perfect finish in the relaxation lounge with the great views over the River Thames.
The best spa day I have ever had. I would love to return would recommend to others to come.
Thank to everyone at the River Wellbeing spa .

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank tobyHertfordshire
Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with my boyfriend as we wanted a place close to Clapham where we were meeting up with friends. This was a most disappointing visit. The first room we were put in had no phone reception, I'm not talking about wifi, I mean we were unable to make calls or receive texts. Now I am with O2 and my boyfriend is with Vodafone UK so if the two of us were unable to connect, then I would imagine anyone from outside of the UK would definitely have a problem. I went to reception to say I could not stay in that room for this reason. The lady at reception said straight away no problem to change. While this was very good of her, it made me think that they possibly already knew the room had this problem? She spent a good ten minutes on the computer while a couple next to me who checked in well after me were "randomly upgraded" to another room. She then brought me down to another room which was right by the entrance so curtains had to be shut at all times unless you wanted to see everyone walking in and out of the hotel. This room was also around half the size of the first room we had been put in. We needed our phones to contact our friends and so had no option but to stay here although I expressed dissatisfaction.
The spa is not worth going to, I went for a massage and the towel was wet and not 100% clean. The massage was not great although the masseuse was quite friendly. The receptionists in the spa area seemed disinterested in their jobs. When I asked where the changing rooms were, one of them barely looked up from her phone to point vaguely in the direction of around 3 doors. When I went into the door I thought she was pointing at, it was an office. So I went up and asked her again where it was. Same response. I then asked her if she could show me. She responded with a big sigh as if I had been requesting a massive effort from her.
Positives:The reception area is nicely decorated. There is a shuttle bus going to the tube station and to clapham high street which is very handy.

Would not stay here again, definitely not 5* service or quality.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NiCo46
Malcolm_Bass, Director at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor, even though it has taken you three months to do so. Whilst we appreciate all feedback we receive, there are some points we don’t agree with, hence our response.

You say that our hotel is not five star purely based on the lack of phone reception you had when staying with us. Thus, you have based your judgement on our products and services purely on this issue. Varying with different mobile phone networks, there are areas in the hotel where some networks pick up better reception than others. This however is something obviously beyond our control and we are sorry if neither your boyfriend’s phone nor yours were able to pick up good reception in the first room you were checked in to. There are a few areas where the connections are weak due to the boomerang shape of the building, and in order to try and improve this aspect of our hotel, we have placed boosters at strategic points to enhance mobile phone reception. Please accept our apologies once again for the inconvenience caused.

With regard to your experience at our spa, we are surprised with your comments about the staff and services. We do not need to explain in detail however, because the very next review after yours from a senior contributor ‘says it all’.

We thank you for staying with us.

Kind Regards
The Management
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2014

My wife and I stayed for three nights in this hotel from the 24th to 27th February . My wife had booked it as a birthday treat for me , but she was a bit worried that the location may have been a bit remote - she needn't have been !
We travelled via the Underground from Heathrow to Clapham Junction , where , after a quick call to the hotel , we were collected by a very pleasant driver in the hotel shuttle bus . We had a great chat about the Irish cricket team's exploits on the short journey to the hotel !
The reception area is very comfortable , and checking in was hassle free . We were given a room in the annexe of the hotel , above their restaurant , and overlooking the Thames . The room was large , bright and airy , with a fantastic view of the river . There is a heliport next to the hotel , and kids of all ages will enjoy the comings and goings throughout the day ( there wasn't an issue with noise from this operation ) ! We were unable to operate the TV in our room ( this was probably down to our failings rather than an issue with the TV itself ) , my wife mentioned it to the reception staff when we went out for a walk one morning , and it was working when we got back .
The bed was one of the most comfortable we have ever slept in . My wife isn't the greatest sleeper , but she was delighted with this bed . The bathroom was also very well sized and equipped ( it even had a tv at the end of the bath ! ) , with a good powerful shower that didn't lose water temperature or pressure .
Regarding getting into the city centre , there is a bus stop right outside the door of the hotel which will take you into Victoria Station in 10-15 mins depending on traffic . The buses run every 6-7 mins between 0700 and 1900 hrs daily , and every 11-12 mins from 1900 to 0100 hrs , so you can go from the calm of the river bank to the hustle and bustle in no time !
We were delighted with our choice of hotel , and wouldn't hesitate to return to the Rafayel again in the future .

Room Tip: Rooms in the Annexe have best Thames views .
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank noellysull
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed here with friends; the service was first class from start to finish. The room was great, I even got to watch TV in the bath! We had a lovely meal in the restaurant overlooking the Thames and were given just the right level of service. The only disappointment was the swimming pool which is a small exercise pool, not a leisure pool.

We had a great stay and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

Im from Newcastle but travel to London 2,3 times a month for work. I always stay at Rafayel and would recommend it to any and everyone. The staff are more then helpful and continue to go out of their way to make your stay even more enjoyable.
The spa facilities are fantastic. I am yet to try a treatment here, but the jacuzzi, gym etc are nice, quiet and relaxing.
The rooms are extremely spacious and the bathrooms are just as impressive. The beds are super comfortable also.
I have stayed in so many hotels and continue to do, but there is none as good as here. It is modern, fantastic value for money, gorgeous, quiet, what more could you ask for. Thank you Rafayel for always making me feel welcome and appreciated. I will keep coming back and spreading the word.

Room Tip: I have stayed in nearly all of them, but i am a sucker for a good view and the Thames room had a spe...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo