“Luxury at an affordable price”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #310 of 1,089 Hotels in London
“Luxury at an affordable price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

You will definitely not experience a stay like this closer into London for the price of a room at Rafayel.

We stayed on February 1st in an Amazon room as a birthday treat for my partner. Arrival is made special by being able to park right outside the main doors to the rear, then a concierge guides you to the underground parking, which cost us £15 for the night. Reception is magnificent and my partner suspiciously began to question how much I'd paid for the night (always a good sign)! Checking in was smooth, it wasn't at all busy there and staff were friendly and happy to help with any information we asked for.

The same concierge showed us to our room, very attentive and polite. Synthetic rose petals had been laid on the bed before we arrived and a birthday card left for my partner, all on my request and she loved it. The room is very big, with a super comfortable queen sized bed, a couch, desk and floor to ceiling windows. The only downside was that our room overlooked the road at the front of the hotel but I did know that in advance; I think it would have cost the same to have a smaller room (Yangtze room) partly overlooking the Thames but I opted for the space instead. A large room with a Thames view was more.

The bathroom is absolute luxury. There was literally enough room to swing several cats in there. You could probably hold a small party in there. A deep bath with TV screen in the wall above one end, a large separate shower with overhead shower and jets facing you, and instructions hanging on the outside of the glass just in case all the knobs leave you slightly confused. We could switch between full lighting and small blue-ish strip lighting on either side of the mirrored wall. Towels are soft and the most important feature of any hotel room: the whole place was IMMACULATE. Not a speck of dust anywhere.

The room seemed to be sound-proofed because we didn't hear a single sound during our whole time in there. There was an ipod dock and some other fan-dangle machinery on the desk which we managed to hook up to our phones to play music through speakers in the ceiling. The room temperature control was digital and really easy to use, it began at 22 degrees which perhaps could have been too warm if we'd stayed later in the year, but we switched between that and 28 degrees accordingly.

If you stay here, do go up to the roof terrace which is open until 11pm I believe. It faces the Thames and is not too high, was beautifully lit and if it hadn't been winter would probably have made a really nice place to chill out, night or day.

We had a peek at the jacuzzi and pool, both very small and too cosy for more than one couple at a time, but it was beautiful and also empty at 7pm, we would have tried it had we brought our costumes.

Leaving the hotel for the evening meant catching a minicab into town (around £15 to Covent Garden) but I've read the hotel offers a ride to Clapham Common or Clapham Junction station every half an hour until 10pm. Arriving back in around midnight we didn't bump into a single other guest and decided to roam the lobby and hallways on each floor for a bit of a nose around. There is space galore in this hotel, and lovely touches like a lounge area on the second floor; we found two massage chairs which unfortunately we couldn't get to work but that could have been the alcohol's fault...

Breakfast was included and we called reception 15 minutes before breakfast stopped being served and asked if it was still possible to eat. They were happy for us to go down but the last guests were leaving and staff had begun putting the buffet away, however a friendly staff member mentioned that we could order from the menu. I had scrambled egg with smoked salmon and it was wonderful, but would have left me hungry if I hadn't grabbed a few bits from the buffet table before they whisked it all away. If you don't have breakfast included, the menu will set you back a fair amount, I think my choice would have been nearly £8 but considering the service, quality of food and the surroundings, still worth it depending on your budget. Also, we were charged in the end for the tea and coffee we had, which I thought should have been included in the breakfast, but not complaining, excellent value overall. The restaurant overlooks the Thames and there is quite a tranquil feel there, asides from a number of joggers running past outside who look as though it might be their regular Sunday morning route.

Before we left we had a quick look around the other rooms as one or two were left open for cleaning I assume. We spotted a small dark room with no view really, still decorated to a high standard but probably more suitable for lone travellers (Mississippi room maybe?).

Checking out was fine and quick, again we were showed back to our car by the concierge.

All in all the best hotel I've ever been to and cheaper than many of those! We will absolutely be returning and hope to try out a river-facing room next time. Thanks to all staff at rafayel for making our stay so special.

Room Tip: If you want space and tonnes of it, go for an Amazon room.
2 Thank LNG85

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Polish first
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Had a wonderful time at this hotel as upon arrival we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom apartment with a side view of the river. It was very clean and the view was breathtaking in the morning. Staff were really polite and the gentleman who runs the shuttle service to the station is so polite. Over all I would recommend for anyone looking for the whole package in a hotel to give this place a visit. The place is really affordable and cheap for the service provided. Absolutely amazing and we are definitely returning very soon!!!

• Stayed March 2014
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel is a little different from the big chains, and a nice surprise as a result. The location is a little off beat but they run a pick-up and drop-off service from the tube/train station, make sure you take it as the walk isn't that great (I did it). The rooms are slightly different to the typical layout and finishes, part marble part carpet floor, spacious and comfortable although the I thought the space given over to a 'reception' area of the room would have been better utilised with a sofa. The bathroom was very large, well equipped, clean and had a great multi-point shower even though it takes 20 mins to figure out how it works (why do people still put controls where you can't get at them without getting wet and/or sprayed with cold water?!). Nice place, nice service and probably a good location for a walk along the river in the summer. Will book again.

Room Tip: Ring for a pick up or get a cab from the station.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

The hotel can't help that it's a £30 plus black cab journey away from the west end, this was our fault for booking something so far away so to be fair to the Rafayel this is the main reason we wouldn't return here. Our first trip into town was using a minicab company that I guess is attached to the hotel somehow. The guys vehicle was scratched and dented down both sides and he had a HUGE crack in his windscreen that he's stuck a big sticker over, worryingly across his line of sight on the driver side!!! We opted for the black cabs after this!

The hotel is very modern and well equipped - beautiful luxury bathroom, our room had a jacuzzi bath which sadly didn't work. I rang beforehand to expressly request a jacuzzi suite and bless her, the lady is spoken to (Maria) had remembered me from days before and asked whether I was pleased with the jacuzzi. I replied with my disappointment that it didn't work and the other reception lady said that it was probably that we didn't know how to use it because they are checked regularly. I'm quite techy and the bath only had 4 buttons so I can't see how this is possible but there you go. If, like the lady on reception said, that
lots of people say the jacuzzi doesn't work and then (once checked out) they are tested to find that they ARE working there clearly is a problem. Simply pop a sign up with user instructions??

My boyfriend and I are very lucky to stay at many 5 star hotels and found the customer service at The Rafayel very cold indeed. Perhaps the manager would like to visit the Lowry in Manchester to see how they treat their guests? The restaurant was chaotic and service was poor and slightly rude from the entrance man and bar staff seemed indifferent to us. No large plates at breakfast so I had to eat my English breakfast from a small side plate! The restaurant wasn't even that busy yet many of the breakfast buffet platters were empty and the orange juice had run out. We made the mistake of asking for a cappuccino instead of the filter coffee on offer and a grumpy waitress organised this some 20 minutes later.

Confusion upon arrival as to accessing the underground parking - quite often leading to a traffic jam on the single lane forecourt outside the hotel.... Signage might help people in the future. No valet either which would have helped.

I booked two spa appointments online thru their website. Upon check in no booking had been made with the spa and was told they were fully booked. Another disappointment - a call to confirm or reject my booking would have been nice.

Beautiful rooms but rubbish location, admittedly not their fault, and very poor customer service. Definitely not 5 star (when was this rated 5 star??)

If you don't want to be in town though, the hotel is beautifully set on the river and is picturesque.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sazzlerah
Malcolm_Bass, Director at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on tripadvisor. We appreciate your feedback and the positive comments regarding our rooms and bathrooms, however feel the need to address some of your negative points.

You mention our location and that it is a 30 minute taxi ride to the west end. Battersea is one of the most up and coming areas of London and does not have as bad transport links as you may think, when considering trains to Waterloo and Victoria depart every few minutes from Clapham Junction (accessible via our complimentary shuttle service- average journey time 2-3 minutes) with a journey time of less than 10 minutes to each station. Beside this, you know you are making an informed decision about where to stay, when booking. We are registered with two or three minicab companies but are making investigations to find out who your specific driver was. We apologize for any inconvenience caused during your journey to the west end.

After making your room reservation with a partner website, it is true that you consequently contacted us to request a room with a Jacuzzi. We followed up on your request and did allocate you to a room with a Jacuzzi. This Jacuzzi had, up until the previous guests who stayed in that room, been in perfect working order with all functions working. Upon hearing from you after checking in to the hotel that there was a problem, our maintenance team did then discover that some of the jets were indeed not working, although the bubbles still were. We are very sorry that due to the hotel being fully booked, we were unable to move you to a room with a fully functioning Jacuzzi bath. Regarding instructions on how to use the Jacuzzi, these are placed in all bathrooms with Jacuzzis along with instructions on how to use the different knobs in the walk in shower.We are sorry though, if you didn’t notice these.

We are sorry if you found our customer service to be cold. This after all is for each person to judge for themselves. Despite your judgements, this forum clearly shows that the vast majority has praised our customer service with four and a half stars from over 1,100 reviews saying it all. We don’t need to travel all the way to Manchester to experience great customer service as we already have an abundance of great customer service in our own hotel, backed up by the many good reviews.

I am slightly confused by your comments concerning breakfast, as our records show that you didn’t have any breakfast. On the particular morning when you checked out of the hotel, the restaurant had been extremely busy at breakfast time and I can only imagine that you came down to the restaurant around 11AM when the breakfast was finishing and the buffet plates were being cleared away. Please accept our sincere apologies if this were the case.

We do offer valet parking as one of our hotel services. Our investigation has revealed that you were assisted by a member of staff to the car park, as confirmed by the receptionist who checked you in. Thank you for your suggestion about signage to the hotel car park. We have taken your point on board regarding this and are looking to improve this aspect for all future guests.

Unfortunately you are unable to book spa appointments online and had you contacted us at the time of making your room reservation we would have gladly put you in contact with our spa team to make a booking.

Finally, with regard to your subject matter, where would you find a hotel with such facilities as ours in the centre of London, for the same price that you paid for your stay? Sorry to repeat ourselves but our rates are what one would pay for a 3-star hotel across the river. However, our customers enjoy 5-star amenities for that price. Hence our slogan “affordable luxury.” This certainly does not mean we try to create a false impression of being the best, but focus on ways and means to maximize guest comfort and experience. Then again, people are entitled to their opinions and choices...

Kind regards
The Management
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I decided to take my girlfriend to this hotel after a look on the internet. The hotel looked amazing on the website but was even more stunning in person! we had a great room with great facilities including speakers everywhere ( even in the bathrooms!). The spa and spa treatment was the best i've ever had and the atmosphere was second to none. The restaurant food and hospitality was great, i had the best fillet steak ever in this restaurant and i've been thinking about it ever since. After dinner we was informed that there is a balcony upstairs were we can celebrate our day with a selection of cigars and cocktails brought to us. Overall this stay was better than many of the holidays and trips we have been to and i would most certainly look for a excuse to go again.

Room Tip: We had the room with a view of the themes..
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

I had an amazing experience when I stayed here. Everything was thought of and perfect down to the smallest detail. The staff were quick with the service and very professional. The food was delicious and the every part of the spa was relaxing including the deep tissue massage which was unbelievably good. when I left the next morning I wanted to stay for longer so will hopefully be returning soon!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014

Odd little place, in a bit of an industrial park on the road side – with no restaurants or bars immediately around the hotel. It is a little bit out of the way – but by this I mean a 15 minute walk (or free shuttle service that runs every 30 mins) to Clapham Junction. From Clapham Junction you have access to everywhere in south and central London. The rooms were beautifully decorated, and the view over the Thames and Chelsea is superb. It is fabulous to be in such a great location on the Thames. The downside is it immediate locationand that there is nothing immediately around the hotel - although in 5 mins you can walk to a neighbour hood with takeaways, bars etc.. and. In 10-15 mins you can walk to Clapham Junction and travel on from there.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends