“City break with my daughter”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #348 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Ideal location if you don't want to stay in central London, our amazon room was great, I had rang the hotel previously to ask for a room with a bath which had a tv at the end of it.You don't need to take shampoo or shower products its all provided , even conditioner and body lotion and its all organic. Amazing bathroom it was very spacious and the shower was the best, bed was big and comfy. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss for the price so I did complain because there didn't seem to be a top up of the cooked breakfast, eggs are ordered separate, mine came out crispy and hard so I asked for some soft eggs which were ok still a bit crispy and a bit raw on top, the rest of the hot food was only warm. breakfast on the second day was a bit better but not worth £30 for two people. I did complain had the first days breakfast refunded which I thought was fair. I had a 30 min back massage which was amazing, the spa staff were lovely. We used the 170 bus to travel into London and then used the underground . Buy an oyster card to travel with its so much easier. on our last day the receptionist who's name was Sanya was so helpful we told her we was going into Clapham which has a nice shopping area with places to eat Sanya suggested Westfields which is a massive shopping centre with all the shops and eating paces you need. We was told to get the 170 to Clapham junction and cross the road to go overground to shepherds bush which drops you across the road from Westfields. If you need advice the reception staff are very helpful and have maps to help you find your way. Overall a really enjoyable stay in an amazing hotel.

Room Tip: It depends what you want to spend,i would imagine all rooms are amazing, our amazon room overlooked...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,094)

Reviewed 19 April 2014

Stunning location. Real luxury and great value for London.
A short walk to Clapham for both overground and underground stations, shops, pubs and restaurants.

Most importantly, the staff were, without exception, absolutely amazing, polite, friendly and incredibly helpful - thank you.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Glyn C
Reviewed 18 April 2014

The room was stunning. Decor was beautiful we stayed in the Amazon suite. Bed was extremely comfortable, black out blinds were perfect but the bathroom was the best by far. Waterfall shower with mini jets too. Staff were very helpful with free shuttles to Clapham common & Clapham Junction. We had problems on the London Underground and staff were very helpful in helping us find alternative routes to London. We took advantage of the half price offer in the restaurant and the food was exquisite (hotel staff arranged our meal for us). We used the free spa facilities which were clean and extremely relaxing. Perfect for a romantic mini break!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014

PROS
Good free shuttle to and from Clapham Common and Clapham Junction.
Great views depending on what room you get.
Great comfortable beds and even better showers.
Great value for a romantic hotel near to London.
Great staff always willing to help.
Carpark is easy to access and park.
Half price offer in the restaurant for two meals very good.

CONS
Only downside is that the hotel feels like it's trying a little too hard. The reception area is a bit tacky, and the fitting are to a specific taste.
Technology in the rooms is fun to play with, but can become tiresome if you just want to flick through some TV channels.
Carparking is an additional cost, but what can you expect in London?!

NB: this is right next to the helipad, which we loved, watching the helicopters taking off and landing. It didn't wake us at all, but if you're a light sleeper and you want a sleep in on a weekday, you may encounter some disturbance.

Overall, was a great spot to surprise my partner, and we enjoyed the experience, we will come back again when in London on a romantic getaway!

Room Tip: Go for a guaranteed river view room, you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I just recently stayed here on a trip to south London & thought it was worth shouting about. It is quite a unique place... Decor is striking, not to everyone's taste, but they have clearly spent alot of money here and done it well.

The room was AMAZING! I had a second floor suite overlooking the Thames (very nice view) and enough room to hole a banquet in my hotel room had I wished too!

The hotel has a spa (no time to visit unfortunately, but next time) and an Indian come European fusion restaurant on site that was fantastic. I stuck with the Indian food, which far from your average place, was well thought out with amazingly delicate flavours & much enjoyed.

It's also worth mentioning the Battersea Heliport is RIGHT next door, but the hotel was very well soundproofed and there are no night flights there, so it did not disturb.

If you need to be in this part of London, you could do a lot worse than a very nice night at the Raphael.

Room Tip: I had a suite with a Thames view... not all of them have, so well worth asking for when booking.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank xtyeisu
Reviewed 14 April 2014

The rooms are fantastic value for London. All the features are of a high standard and the rooms are very spacious. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced. I had a very tasty curry with duck to start. The food is contemporary British. I think if you go when the hotel is quieter you can get some really good offers so you can just go and stay for a night even if you live in London and feel like escaping. I Highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here overnight and had a lovely time. We phoned the hotel from Clapham Common and the shuttle bus picked us up 15 mins later so prompt, curteous service. However, I think I would suggest the tube to Victoria and then the 170 bus goes straight to the hotel. (and vice versa for getting into town- the hotel is a wee bit far out but that's reflected in the price.) On arrival, (the lobby is a bit strange...what is the sparkly chain thing?), we were given an upgrade to a room with a Thames view which was great. A big room, huge bed, crazy massive shower and floor to ceiling windows. Unfortunately it had taken us quite a time to get to the hotel so we weren't able to relax before we had to be off- I wish we had got there earlier as a stroll by the Thames might have been nice. Anyway, a good nights sleep, no sounds whatsoever from other rooms but a bit of road noise and I think City airport must be quite close as planes could be easily heard. The rooms are dark and that does make applying make up difficult- I ignored the fact that there are appartments and niehbours and kept the blinds up and curtains open just to get light in- sorry neighbours if you had to see me making myself respectable!! The shower cubical also leaked and my discarded jeans got soaking wet, hurray for the hairdryer!! I probably should have told the reception but it was so busy at checkout that I forgot. Breakkie is a buffet and so overindulgence was the order of the day...I would have liked hot milk to be served with coffee but perhaps they would have done this had I asked. (but perhaps for 5 star I shouldnt have to ask..?) So all in all a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a Thames view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple