“a welcome return”

Ranked #320 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“a welcome return”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at the Rafayel last Wednesday night. All aspects of the stay were first class from booking in to checkout. The room was great as always. The staff were more than helpful and it is clear that they care about the clients needs. We had a great meal in the restaurant on wednesday night good food, good wine and good company. I will be returning in the near future with my wife for a long weekend stay as the hotel is ideally placed for exploring London.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael h h

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (431)
  • Polish first
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My boyfriend and I have now stayed here twice now, the first time was simply amazing, he booked it for our anniversary as we were visiting friends in Clapham, it was a fifteen minute walk from the train station. Location wise it’s not close to much except Big Yellow storage, Pets at Home and a lot of construction work so very industrialised which is a bit of a shame.

When we arrived we were told by the polite friendly receptionist that we’d been given a free upgrade to their luxury suite on the 15th floor, and had a porter show us to our room.

Nothing could of prepared us for the room whatsoever it was bigger than my house! It was split onto two levels, 2 double bedrooms both with en-suite bathrooms and another separate wc, fantastic view of the Thames and the helipad, two huge balconies one upstairs and one downstairs connecting the rooms, huge dining table, kitchen/diner, living area with tv, sky and Freeview box, the only thing missing was a bath but it did have two showers so can’t complain!

The second time we stayed (11th July) was a bit different (maybe it’s because we didn’t get the free upgrade – ha) we were given a corner room on the second floor, the room was very spacious and we had to go in through two doors to get to our room with our room card so it made us feel very safe and secure, with a lovely view of a building site opposite! Nice big King size bed with comfy pillows, comfy sofa with mini fridge, air con that worked a little too well as my boyfriend likes it cold, there was a corridor leading to the bathroom with a big bath and rainfall shower, tv over the bath which unfortunately wasn’t working (maybe it was just there for show) very good lighting with lots of windows throughout our room, I would say due to the location the hotel wasn’t very busy so I was a bit shocked when we asked at reception if it was possible to extend our check out by an hour that yes we could but it’s £20 per hour (maybe not then). Then as our room didn’t include breakfast it would be £10 each for a continental or £15 each for a full English – we ended up going to a café down the road that did a full English for £5 each much better deal!

So overall lovely big hotel which unfortunately is not the best location wise and you do get what you pay for so if you don’t pay for breakfast you don’t get it!

Unfortunately we’ve not had a chance to try the spa yet as both times we’ve stayed there it’s always been a bit of a rush so hopefully if we stay again we will.

Thank you hotel Rafayel for making our anniversary so special and one we’ll never forget you have set the bar pretty high for future occasions but without the free upgrade which I’ve noticed on a few reviews here that it isn’t always worth the money!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed with two young children. The hotel was nice and worked for visiting friends who lived in Clapham. My wife was able to walk to Battersea park with the kids along the river which she enjoyed. I was able to take the 170 Bus to Clapham Junction and then connect to get to the city/wharf. The room was well equipped and very large. My son loved the underwater disco lights in the in room jacuzzi tub and watching a helicopter land and take off when we were outside. The Nile suites do not look over the helipad - I had booked well in advance with a request for this view and was told on arrival that no suites overlooked the helipad. It is a nice hotel and I would be content staying here again but we will look for other options first. I would recommend the hotel, but I don't know to whom. Also, be wary of using the in room iron/ironing board. I know it can happen anywhere, but it leaked and ruined a good shirt.

Room Tip: If you have kids and want a view of the heli-pad, go with a lower standard room. Nile Suites do not...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Stayed at the Nile Suite. It was my first time at this hotel. The room was lovely. It was clean. The bathroom was big. But I was disappointed to find that the Jacuzzi was out of action and therefore unable to use it. I then tried to use the shower and even that did not work. It made weird noises and shower handle went very very hot. I could not hold it to have shower at all. I did not report the issue as it was 11:30pm and I did not have the time to in hand to find someone to fix.

Ordered fish and chips. It was ridiculously expensive. I don't mind paying extra but the quality was not there either and therefore decided I will have breakfast outside. However, room service was good. Had a peaceful night sleep. Room itself is value for money. Food is way too expensive.

Room Tip: Nile suite is big and spacious.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2014

fantastic, on arrival I was upgraded to a Suite.. amazing accommodation with great facilities and the bathroom was fantastic. I will definitely be back here. Staff were great and the restaurant food was very good.

• Stayed July 2014
Market Bosworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights as we were going to wimbledon. Location wise for wimbledon it was spot on but the rest of it is just ok. Room was nice, but poor lighting and the smallest double bed I have ever slept in!! Shower didn't work properly (to be fair we didn't report this) one of the lifts was out of order and the only remaining one made the most alarming noises when in use. In general, the whole place looks a bit tired and the service is only so so. The restaurant is really over priced, especially in terms of the quality - meals at the Ivy cost less and are far superior. We arrived at around 9.30pm so just wanted a light bite. I had the duck pancakes ( a starter) which were £18 and decidedly mediocre. Went to bed at 11.30pm but woke up at 2am and was violently sick. Felt fine the next day, so not sure what that was about. Didn't eat at the hotel again, they did do a good latte though. There are better places in London for the same money. Won't be returning

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I booked Hotel Rafayel for my boyfriend's birthday in March 2014.

The hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming.

We had a 'Couple's Treatment' which meant we were both seen at the same time, in the same room which was nice.

The breakfast was in the restaurant 'Banyan On The Thames' which was really nice- beautiful scenery.

I have no complaints about Hotel Rayafel and would definitely recommend this for couples!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple