“Welcome surprise!”

Ranked #308 of 1,064 Hotels in London
South Africa
“Welcome surprise!”
Reviewed 8 February 2010

This hotel opened recently and I must say we were very impressed!
We came to see our young children who live in England and we needed a place that had rooms big enough for all of us as well as space to play for our 3 and 6 year old.

Not only were the rooms stunning and beautifully furnished with every modern luxury, 180 degree view of the river and heliport, plush carpets, soft linen, beautiful lighting and spotless! A bed that I want for my home as it was so comfortable! From free wi-fi, in-room entertainment system with iPod docking station, X-box , huge flat screen tv, loads of cupboard space for all that extra shopping I should not have done. Stunning bathroom with a space for all our toiletries, bath and shower, gowns and slippers.

They go one step further and are eco based and you can order the toiletries you need, as well as have 24 hour room service. The food was divine and excellent value for money. Full english breakfast for GBP11.99 - which is unbelievable for London.

There was nothing they did not do to make us comfortable, just like HOME AWAY FROM HOME. Their friendly staff accomodated our every need and whim no matter how small.
Transfers to the nearest underground or train station were arranged at a moments notice, and Ali our driver kept us entertained all the way.

We would like to thank Mr.Latif and his awesome team for making this a trip to remember for our little family and would recommend this venue to any decerning traveller who is looking for a 5 Star experience of international standards.

Lee & Anastasia - South Africa

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (426)
  • Polish first
Australia
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I arrived in London on Christmas eve having been on the road for 3 months culminating in 2 weeks at the Copenhagen UN climate summit. I was completely exhausted and needed a good nights sleep before boarding a long haul flight to New Zealand. I searched for eco-hotels on the internet and fortunately discovered Rafayel on the Left Bank. As an environmental film-maker my travel foot-print is of utmost concern so to find a hotel that was seemingly addressing its impact so comprehensively was exciting and I was not disappointed. My room was spacious and simple and the bed wonderful! My arrival was not in normal meal hours and the chefs were busy preparing a Christmas Eve feast however they still managed to deliver a delicious vegetarian meal to my room on request, and all the staff were all excellent. There was no hassle or hurry. On Christmas morning over breakfast I met the owner of the hotel and was completely impressed by his integrity, passion and intimate understanding of the environmental issues he was addressing through his innovation. We need more visionaries like him. It felt good to support such an inspiring business and I hope this hotel becomes the benchmark for many others....not only hotels but businesses of every kind where there a myriad of ways to create change and honour this planet that sustains us. I believe this is our obligation.

Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Juggler66
Bristol
Reviewed 5 February 2010

I stayed at Hotel Rafayel for a night on my way to a conference. It is such an exquisite boutique hotel with a very convenient shuttle service to Sloane Square (which I used to make my way to my conference). My room was stylishly decorated and very spacious which surprised me especially since I had gone for the cheapest option. I was so tired from the day so decided to have dinner at the restaurant and the food was delicious! Honestly, if you do order a plate, I guarantee you will order everything on the whole menu! My advice is to make sure you plan your trip wisely – otherwise you may find yourself staying in the hotel rather than exploring London.

Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
UK
Reviewed 2 February 2010

The hotel interior is gorgeous and this was a huge main draw for us.

View
The original room we were shown to didn't have views of the Thames so I asked if an alternative was available. The Concierge happily showed us 2 rooms (including an upgraded room with no view) He then fetched fresh towels and milk etc.

Interior
All really lovely with gorgeous textiles and lighting. The only odd thing is the random prints someone seems to have added as an unnecessary after-thought.
The lobby is welcoming but there is a feel that it is not quite fully-operational yet as the florist and cup-cake shop were closed.
The bathroom deserves a special mention as it is large and gorgeous!

Spa
Disappointed that only the treatment rooms and gym were operational. I was really keen to try out the training pool - can't remember any mention of this not being open when I booked. Everything is lovely, sparkly and new. The Spa Receptionist was really happy to give us a little tour of the facilities.

Bar
We returned after a show to enjoy some lovely cocktails overlooking the Thames. We arrived around 11.15pm and were the only Clients there. Unfortunately the (very pleasant) bar man had not been trained on cocktails and despite fleeting appearances from a Colleague they really weren't up to scratch. We weren't offered glasses for bottled beer/soft drinks and there was no offer to bring our drinks over or somenibbles to encourage us to stay. Five star? I let Reception know at check-out and was not charged for drinks.

Location
The shuttle service into Sloan Squ was great but (we were advised) tends to stop around 9.30pm We were advised to call if we wanted to be collected but it felt a little cheeky of us to do that at 11pm. Bus is probably the best option but there is still about a half mile walk from the stop. The location has potential but certainly isn't there yet.

Staff
They are all friendly and eager to please.

The price would have been excellent if the hotel was fully operational. There are many 5* hotels with superior working facilities offering axcellent rates in the city. This is not a bargain price, it is a reduced rate for reduced facilities.

A gentleman who appeared to be the Owner was around the lobby a couple of times and enquired about our stay. We gave him positive feedback as so much is very good.

The hotel has masses of potential but must reach it soon while the novelty is bringing in Guests.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FussyMonkey
Birmingham
Reviewed 1 February 2010

I stayed here recently on a Friday night with a friend as a celebratory treat. We had booked two standard doubles but were kindly upgraded to the next room-type. Despite this, and not wishing to sound ungrateful, we were rather underwhelmed by our stay. I appreciate that this is a soft-opening, and therefore I expected there to be a few teething problems, but I was surprised at how wrong some of the basics still were. The hotel is undoubtedly aesthetically quite pleasing but it just doesn't function as a 5* star hotel, eco-friendly or not. Firstly, the location - it isn't great. Yes, it's by the river but obviously only some of the rooms have that view. The room I was in did but the bed was positioned facing away from it, overlooking the Travis Perkins building supplies yard opposite the hotel. Very strange. There are no bars or restaurants very near to the hotel and it's about a 15 min walk to central Clapham which is good but the route is through unfamiliar residential streets and we were warned to be careful in the area by our cab-driver. The hotel does offer a complimentary shuttle service to Clapham Junction and Sloane Square but it isn't always available immediately, so walking is really the best option (and eco-friendly too!). The main problem with the location though is the noise from the heli-pad next door. You can definitely hear when helicopters are flying overhead, although it didn't disturb our sleep - I think we just got used to it. The other noisy feature was the open ceiling vents that seemed to open straight up into the ceiling cavity above. It meant that the noise of other people running water in their bathrooms was very prevalent. Another particularly annoying feature was the temperature in the rooms. When I arrived the room was very cold (despite being shown how to use the thermostat). When I mentioned it to staff, it was adjusted but this time it was stifflingly hot. Staff explained that they are having problems with it and that it should be sorted soon. Breakfast was disappointing and expensive. It's held in a small side room. The service was exceptionally slow (despite there being only 3 other customers) and our poached eggs were undercooked/still raw. The accompanying toast was provided much later than the eggs in one case and not at all in the other. Other than that, there are lots of little things that aren't hugely important on their own but they do add up to. Eg the room had no plug socket near to a mirror, which is annoying for us vain types who like to blow-dry their hair. There was no price list by the (what appeared to be) complimentary small packets of kettle crisps which were then charged at a staggering £3.50 per bag on check-out. The bar didn't open until 6.15pm. The staff are doing their best but (and I hate to say this because they are lovely) they just don't seem to have a good grasp of what they are doing. In addition, they are not local to the area and they can't answer basic questions about where things are and how to get around. I over-heard another guest ask for a local map of the area and they were told there wasn't one. However the person I asked did have one, albeit a tiny one of only the very nearest roads nearby. Check-in and out took ages (40 mins in the case of the latter). If this hotel takes the time to find out what matters to its customers (I was surprised that no-one asked me about this, I had to offer my opinions!) and does something to improve things as a result, then no doubt the experience of staying here will be a much better one. As things stand, this is vastly overpriced for what it is (even with the 50% discount duing the soft-opening) and the experience I had would put me off using it again until things had improved.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nomad89
SystemaDave
Reviewed 29 January 2010

Stayed here during the January snow and I have to say what a refreshing change it was from the usual London hotels I stay in when in London for business.

The room size and the furnishing is far superior to anything else at this rate, the shower amazing and the staff were helpful, polite and the service very quick.

I cannot recommend the hotel enough for the business traveler- try it once and I am sure you will use it again!

Dave- Bath

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
united kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2010

The hotel was fantastic, the room was beautiful and the biggest available.Unfortunately the staff were unhelpful, rude at times and didnt seem to know what they were doing.They even gave me someone elses bill by mistake and tried charging me more for someone elses smutty movies they had rented. The worst part was waiting to be seen at the check in desk which on several occasions meant the mostly foreign and barel able to speak english staff, would start dealing with other people or answeing phones for ten minutes at a time whils you stood and waited.Other than this, the tv in the bedroom didnt work or in the bathroom, the shower didnt work properly and the view was that of a lobby and workmen as opposed to the riverside view promised.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends