“great value, comfort and style to boot”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #318 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Came to Ldn for a couple of nights for business, I work for a boutique-style investment house based in Chelsea and thought would give a boutique-style hotel a chance this time. Must say was highly impressed. Hotel has is positioned really nicely on the river (had a good Thames view), and rooms were about four times the size of the best 5 *s I have stayed in in New York and Tokyo but a quarter of the price. This is unusual for London, where I am used to not getting value for money. Met the proprietor in the restaurant, he has clearly cut a unique style for the hotel - elegant, eclectic and sophisticated yet comfortable. Food in the restaurant top quality, and good value too. I think this hotel, restaurant and spar/gym (I am a keep fit guy and was impressed to see a very well equipped gym and managed an early morning river run) has great promise. Will be coming back, especially given a lot of my business is in Chelsea with hedge fund guys and this is a 5 minute cab ride away.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 10 February 2010

I had the pleasure of holding my 40th birthday celebration with family and friends recently. Mr Latif and the staffs' organisation and hospitality was fantastic. From the moment I mentioned I would like to hold the party within the fantastic Banyan restaurant everything I needed was catered for, above and beyond expectations. My friends had a marvellous time and I had a birthday celebration I will never forget. The drinks and food were top notch and the cake supplied by Baketique (within the hotel) was fantastic together with the flower arrangements. Thank you so much for making this a trully wonderful eventing.As a resident I have also used the SPA facilities and thoroughly enjoyed my massage and facial treatments and will definitely be returning. Thank you Hotel Rafayel

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 February 2010

Stayed mid week last week for one night. Very impressed with location, style & ambiance & rooms & dinner. The facilities (although currently not all are open during soft opening) are superb. Staff tremendously helpful. Best value accommodation in London. Once fully open the facility will be (even more) tremendous. At this time the room prices will increase, so check it out before they rise. I stay in London each month & will be returning to the Rafayel.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2010

This hotel opened recently and I must say we were very impressed!
We came to see our young children who live in England and we needed a place that had rooms big enough for all of us as well as space to play for our 3 and 6 year old.

Not only were the rooms stunning and beautifully furnished with every modern luxury, 180 degree view of the river and heliport, plush carpets, soft linen, beautiful lighting and spotless! A bed that I want for my home as it was so comfortable! From free wi-fi, in-room entertainment system with iPod docking station, X-box , huge flat screen tv, loads of cupboard space for all that extra shopping I should not have done. Stunning bathroom with a space for all our toiletries, bath and shower, gowns and slippers.

They go one step further and are eco based and you can order the toiletries you need, as well as have 24 hour room service. The food was divine and excellent value for money. Full english breakfast for GBP11.99 - which is unbelievable for London.

There was nothing they did not do to make us comfortable, just like HOME AWAY FROM HOME. Their friendly staff accomodated our every need and whim no matter how small.
Transfers to the nearest underground or train station were arranged at a moments notice, and Ali our driver kept us entertained all the way.

We would like to thank Mr.Latif and his awesome team for making this a trip to remember for our little family and would recommend this venue to any decerning traveller who is looking for a 5 Star experience of international standards.

Lee & Anastasia - South Africa

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I arrived in London on Christmas eve having been on the road for 3 months culminating in 2 weeks at the Copenhagen UN climate summit. I was completely exhausted and needed a good nights sleep before boarding a long haul flight to New Zealand. I searched for eco-hotels on the internet and fortunately discovered Rafayel on the Left Bank. As an environmental film-maker my travel foot-print is of utmost concern so to find a hotel that was seemingly addressing its impact so comprehensively was exciting and I was not disappointed. My room was spacious and simple and the bed wonderful! My arrival was not in normal meal hours and the chefs were busy preparing a Christmas Eve feast however they still managed to deliver a delicious vegetarian meal to my room on request, and all the staff were all excellent. There was no hassle or hurry. On Christmas morning over breakfast I met the owner of the hotel and was completely impressed by his integrity, passion and intimate understanding of the environmental issues he was addressing through his innovation. We need more visionaries like him. It felt good to support such an inspiring business and I hope this hotel becomes the benchmark for many others....not only hotels but businesses of every kind where there a myriad of ways to create change and honour this planet that sustains us. I believe this is our obligation.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank Juggler66
Reviewed 5 February 2010

I stayed at Hotel Rafayel for a night on my way to a conference. It is such an exquisite boutique hotel with a very convenient shuttle service to Sloane Square (which I used to make my way to my conference). My room was stylishly decorated and very spacious which surprised me especially since I had gone for the cheapest option. I was so tired from the day so decided to have dinner at the restaurant and the food was delicious! Honestly, if you do order a plate, I guarantee you will order everything on the whole menu! My advice is to make sure you plan your trip wisely – otherwise you may find yourself staying in the hotel rather than exploring London.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2010

The hotel interior is gorgeous and this was a huge main draw for us.

View
The original room we were shown to didn't have views of the Thames so I asked if an alternative was available. The Concierge happily showed us 2 rooms (including an upgraded room with no view) He then fetched fresh towels and milk etc.

Interior
All really lovely with gorgeous textiles and lighting. The only odd thing is the random prints someone seems to have added as an unnecessary after-thought.
The lobby is welcoming but there is a feel that it is not quite fully-operational yet as the florist and cup-cake shop were closed.
The bathroom deserves a special mention as it is large and gorgeous!

Spa
Disappointed that only the treatment rooms and gym were operational. I was really keen to try out the training pool - can't remember any mention of this not being open when I booked. Everything is lovely, sparkly and new. The Spa Receptionist was really happy to give us a little tour of the facilities.

Bar
We returned after a show to enjoy some lovely cocktails overlooking the Thames. We arrived around 11.15pm and were the only Clients there. Unfortunately the (very pleasant) bar man had not been trained on cocktails and despite fleeting appearances from a Colleague they really weren't up to scratch. We weren't offered glasses for bottled beer/soft drinks and there was no offer to bring our drinks over or somenibbles to encourage us to stay. Five star? I let Reception know at check-out and was not charged for drinks.

Location
The shuttle service into Sloan Squ was great but (we were advised) tends to stop around 9.30pm We were advised to call if we wanted to be collected but it felt a little cheeky of us to do that at 11pm. Bus is probably the best option but there is still about a half mile walk from the stop. The location has potential but certainly isn't there yet.

Staff
They are all friendly and eager to please.

The price would have been excellent if the hotel was fully operational. There are many 5* hotels with superior working facilities offering axcellent rates in the city. This is not a bargain price, it is a reduced rate for reduced facilities.

A gentleman who appeared to be the Owner was around the lobby a couple of times and enquired about our stay. We gave him positive feedback as so much is very good.

The hotel has masses of potential but must reach it soon while the novelty is bringing in Guests.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple