“Pevious guest reveiw is absolutly spot on!”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #312 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Derbyshire
“Pevious guest reveiw is absolutly spot on!”
Reviewed 25 July 2010

We also stayed in room 223 but on 24th July. The spot light fitting in the bathroom is still hanging down and the sink pop waste was still broken. I did report the light fitting on leaving. As previous review the jacuzzi kept coming on but we assumed this was a cleaning cycle. The room is beautiful but lacks all the little bits previously mentioned ie cotton buds,tisues, and the basics like sanitary bags you would get in a 2 or 3 star hotel.
The bathroom door drove us mental. We wedged open the door with a towel on the floor to stop the noise. When the door was approx 2 inches from being closed the door was snatched in and slammed shut very noisily. A bit like Arkwrights till in Open All Hours! No discreet visits to the bathroom in the middel of the nigh then. We also heard other doors slamming shut and footsteps in the middle of the night. Not sure which side it was coming from.
Our room was not ready at 12.15 ish when we arrived after a 4 hour drive but we were invited to a tour of the hotel and the roof tops views by Errol who was amazingly friendly and helpful. We then walked along the river to Battersea bridge and walked across into the Kings Road about a 20 -25 minute walk. Just a minute onto Kings Rd and we were at the Bluebird restauraunt and numerous trendy boutiques and bars.

We returned to the hotel at about 5pm. There was only one receptionist on duty and we had to wait about 10-15 minutes to get our room as there was one person in front of us checking in and she had many queries.. There was no apologies for the wait or anything. This is unacceptable in a 5 star hotel. We had also booked an extra bed which was not in the room when we finally arrived. A single bed did appear and then shortly after a team to make up the bed. No problem really but one would expect it to be already there in the room and not have the inconvenience of having staff in your room for a while. Also although there were 3 of us all the amenities were for 2 persons only ie 2 sets of towels, 2 robes, 2 cups and a measly 4 tubs of milk for 3 people.The single bed for my adult daughter was set in the lounge but she was awaken in the middle of the night by mobile phones ringing and loud telephone conversations through the double connecting doors to the room next door.

Another gripe was the tv in the bedroom aea.The tv sticks out a long way and it is difficult and dangerous to get past the bed and the tv.My husband walked into it in the night.

We went to the Banyan restaurant and had a superb meal. This is not really fancy food but it is very good and very good value for money when getting 50% off with the hotel or top table.Cocktails were rubbish really. £8.50 or £9.50 for coloured drinks full of ice and not tasting of any alcohol. Wine was very, very nice and there was free water served throught the meal. Service was excellent. Thanks to Jana who unfortunately is only there for a few weeks. She was very attentive and friendly.

Breakfast was another story.Cold table was very sparse and not refilled often enough so there was little left. There were no eggs on the hot buffet and when we enquired were told they were to order. There was no information anywhere on the tables stating this nor menus offering alernative options eg eggs benedict, omlettes etc. Juice and coffee were very good but all in all very little choice.

My daughter who was moving to London decided to surprise he new flatmates with a gift of cupcakes from the shop downstairs but to our horror the display case was covered inside with little knats .It was quite disgusting. It was reported and to their credit the cabinet was promptly emptied and cleaned.Not sure what happened to the cakes though!!

I agred totally with the previous reveiwer.It is in effect an aparthotel. The hotel is trying very hard but it has a long way to go. It coud be so good but is bordering on the tacky in some areas and is not supplying the necesary service levels of a 5 star hotel. It lacks supervision in the reception and dining room.

To be honest we would not return but wish it well. It has a few wonderful staff members who are very proud of the hotel but the hotel lacks finesse.We have stayed at the Marriott Canary Wharf on several occasions and also the Hilton Canary Wharf in the executive rooms & more recentlythe Park Plaza Westminster and would say that you will get much better value for money and far superior service at these hotels than the Rafayel & the £239 we paid for one nights stay.
Pros
Beautifuly furnished rooms
Jacuzzi
Fantastically comfortable beds
Excellent location next to the river
Errol & Jana

Cons
Breakfast
Reception
Noisy bathroom doors
Noisy rooms
Lift floors worn & tatty

1 Thank Debbieb5red

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
  • Polish first
london
Reviewed 24 July 2010

The hotel had a fabulous special on late rooms and their own website, so I rated the value 5/5. One cannot beat £209 for a riverview suite that is regularly priced at over £600. This hotel I am told is 6 months old so I rated the cleanliness 5/5 as everything was brand new. The Nile room suite room number 223 is beautiful and spacious with a dining and sitting area. The panasonic tv hangs from the wall in the bedroom but cannot be rotated so difficult for the person on the left to see in bed. If they could add a swivel feature to the arm this would be even better. The room has a partial view of the river which we were warned ahead of time so this was fine. Our choices were a full view without jacuzzi bath or partial with. We chose the latter.

When we arrived, we were greeted by a doorman and my luggage was taken in. The owner was sitting at reception but engrossed in conversation. The receptionist was very welcoming and check in was uneventful. The room was not ready so she gave a guided tour of the hotel, restaurant and spa. After we got into our room, shortly thereafter we received a complimentary bottle of champagne. I had mentioned that this was my wedding anniversary. This was a very nice touch and much appreciated.

As the hotel was 6 months old, I was told the tv in the bathroom was not connected so I could not use from the jacuzzi bathtub so it remained on but with no reception. This I accepted. However the left vanity sink did not drain after use, so it was filled with used water for the night. My partner said it would take a lot of noise and effort for the hotel to fix the sink as he himself could not pry open the sink plug to drain the water and it would require dismantling the sideboard. I hope this gets fixed for the next guest.

The jacuzzi bathtub is fabulous - fits 2 with vibrating jets and alternating colour lights that transform the water into a rainbow of relaxing colours. Unfortunately there was no shampoo, conditioner or bath gel. Only 2 bottles of lotion and hand/body wash attached to the wall next to the bathtub. The towel rails were not heated as I would expect in a 5 star. I hope the hotel adds a bottle of shampoo and bath gel by the jacuzzi. My partner did find a bottle of hair conditioner in the shower stall. There was 1 light fixture hanging down from the ceiling above the bathtub. It needs repairing and fixing back into the ceiling,

As a woman I expected a box of kleenex somewhere to help with toiletries and makeup. There were none. I looked in the bedroom and bathroom. I ended up using the lavatory roll. There was no extending mirror/ shaving mirror. Perhaps the hotel could add boxes of kleenex to accommodate female guests. In the drawer there was a blowdryer which was great.

There were no plastic bags in the bathroom for female hygiene products or laundry bags for drycleaning/wash service. This might be another good idea for the hotel to consider. I don't think they offer a dryclean/wash service for guests.

When we entered the restaurant we waited and waited for someone to approach us to seat us. I had to make a fuss to be noticed. Perhaps ensuring someone checks the door for dinner guests arriving and ensuring someone greets them and seats them would be nice. The Indian menu was delicious and great value for money as they were also having a 50% special. The view was lovely as most tables were positioned by the huge windows overlooking the river.

I rated the sleep quality as 1/5 as I was awoken between 3 and 4 am by hotel night staff making noise outside our room. We did not know what the noise was but it did not stop so finally, my partner got up and went outside into the corridor to investigate. The night staff explained he was moving beds. My partner explained that he should show respect for the sleeping guests as he was waking up the guests with all this noise. The night staff did apologise and the noise ceased.

The jacuzzi kept coming on by itself. My partner kept turning it off. I just assumed it was an electrical fault as it was a new jacuzzi so ignored this. Then there was a strange dripping noise...4 drips and then it stopped and then an hour later it would repeat itself and yet there was nothing leaking in the bathroom. By this time, I was convinced the suite was haunted and terrified to use the bathroom at night by myself.

I could also hear people through the thin walls. Doors slamming shut as the bathroom doors are not 'soft close' but heavy and do not stay open by themselves and electronic key locks opening. Conversation and baby next door crying in the morning, etc.

Check out was straightforward. I can tell this new hotel and owner are trying their best to make this a 5 star but it is not quite there yet. I do not know how one can fix the noise through the walls. I have made a few suggestions regarding tissue boxes, ensuring night staff do not move furniture in the corridors outside rooms between 3 and 4 am, ensuring that bathrooms are checked (sink needs fixing, light fixture needs repairing, bathtub tv should be operational). These are minor points that can be fixed.

I rated the location as 1/5 as it is in the middle of an industrial area of Battersea. There are no local eateries or tube station. It is fine if you want to be isolated but if you are a tourist, it is not the best location to see the sights or do any shopping.

I just expected a good night's sleep no matter what the rating of a hotel and now am feeling knackered after a night at a '5 star' hotel. The room is beautiful and spacious and if the night staff had not made such noise outside our room, I would not have been awoken.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 July 2010

I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to London for business or pleasure. My room was spacious, clean and loaded with amenities. The hotel staff was friendly and eager to please. The facilities at the hotel include a gym with new equipment, a cigar lounge and beautiful Thames river views from the rooms and a roof deck. Many London hotels are cramped with worn out facilities and a rude staff....the Rafayel was a breath of fresh air compared to my typical stay. If you stay here you will be pleased, I certainly was. I have had so many bad experiences in London hotels that I must point out a gem like this and pass it along to others!
Sean

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2010

I walked in to the hotel at 14:00 and had such a welcoming and friendly reception at check in we had someone take us up to the room and show us around the room showing us simple features of the room which i thought was a great touch.

The room was spacious we were staying in an amazon room it was very large, it felt luxurious and very modern the bed was huge and comfy and pillows were soft. we had such a good nights sleep. The Bathroom was just amazing very large nicely decorated. I loved the seperate walk in shower with such a large and powerful showerhead.

the hotel is on the bank of the river thames great view from the restaurant the 170 bus stop is right outside the hotel that gets you straight into victoria station in the mornings i would use the drop of service to clapham junction which was very convenient.

Pros
The huge room
The comfy bed
Walk in shower
drop of service
Friendly helpful professional staff
Free Wifi access anywhere in the hotel

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Visiting the Hotel for the first time from Africa. Great Internet site, so before one could expect what to get.The rooms were huge and really clean, big bed, power shower and good eco lighting in the room! The service was good but can be improved. The weather was beautiful at the time and I used the Banyan restaurant a couple of times – the menu was excellent with lots of different cuisines to choose from, but what made it even more special was the view out to the Thames and watching the boats going by, also one was able to dine outside watching the sun set over the capital! Great Spa and Gym overlooking the Thames. Free High Speed Internet in the Hotel! Also a very 'green hotel' to be Eco-friendly in this day and age! A Great value for the price and this Hotel makes a great change from the normal Business chain hotels . Will definitely recommend and stay again when traveling for Business or Holiday.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Nairobi_KenyaAspi
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2010

We had a nice time the bed was comfortable and the place plesant was a enjoyable stay will come back and stay more than one night next time

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Western Australia
Reviewed 19 July 2010

We were booked into this hotel for four nights and moved after two. The main down side of this hotel for us was its location - a 20 minute bus ride to anywhere and a 40 minute wait for a taxi cab with little interest from the reception desk to chase it up for us. Also, the options of restaurants and night life within walking distance are practically nil.

This is not a luxury hotel, it is a clean and pleasant hotel, check in took much longer than any other hotel I have ever stayed at and with no porter service and the lift out we were forced to carry our own luggage up stairs.

The air conditioner was a nightmare - set to 18 degrees, far too cold and impossible to turn off or up we froze. Every time you leave your room it turns itself back on. Any time someone came up the stairs it woke us, as did the man snoring in the next room, the noise came through the doors not the walls. The bed was extremely comfortable as was the room, the air conditioner made the stay uncomfortable. The shower was great - but don't forget to read the instructions on the outside before you get in. Otherwise you get blasted from all over with cold water. Great wakeup call though. The lighting was a pain, when did we lose the ease of the light switch - sometimes a smart room is not that smart. Or it could be me!

I can image this hotel suiting many people, I was not one of them. It missed the character of London which is what we were looking for, however, if it had been more convenient in location I would not have moved.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family