I stayed at the Rafayel in July for one night when my team had a cooking class in Clapham junction for a teambuild. I had booked the hotel for the team when I received a call from the hotel that morning saying due to them overbooking would 4 of us be happy to stay in the penthouse instead?! We wereof course very excited about this, the room normally costs £4000 a night but we were only charged the standard room rate. The hotel itself is a short taxi ride from Clapham Junction tube and looks very nice from the outside.
My room was the master bedroom in the penthouse, the room had a tiny single bed in a huge room. Although I was the only one in this room, I would expect at least a double bed in a 'penthouse'. We soon realised that were had not been given a penthouse, but instead we had been given an unfinished apartment. The apartment was not connected to the hotel, there was no telephone in the room and no way to order breakfast - so we all went hungry.
My colleague had no curtains in her room and although I did have curtains, the sunlight flooded into the bright white room at 5am!! Making it impossible for me to fall back to sleep. In all, I had 3 hours sleep that night. There was no hairdryer and my towels had rips in them. The bath was rusty and the walk-in shower had no light, making it a very dark showering experience! The toiletries given to us were used, large shampoos/conditioners/toothpaste etc which looked like they were left behind from other guests. There wasn't a desk area or any suitable surfaces to place any belongings on, so I placedall my stuff on the floor when getting ready. We also found clothes and building equipment in the room's cupboards.
The attitude of the desk concierge was laid-back and frosty. My colleague booked her taxi the night before with the concierge, checked again before she went to bed and was promised it was all booked and writen down. When he came down in the morning there was no taxi and the man at the desk was unhelpful and acted as if he could care less! I also had issues getting a taxi, the hotel does not seem to have a good relationship with the taxi firm they called as I witnessed a frosty conversation between them whehn I requested a taxi into town. The hotel also offer a free taxi service to Clapham Junction for hotel guests, however I had to wait a very long time for it in the morning, only to be told the driver had managed to get lost!! Very bizarre as the station is a 10 minute driver and I would have expected him to have done this journey at least a few times before I came downstairs, even if he was new! I ended up having to be taken in one of the employee's cars...
When I checked-out in the morning I was asked by the manager/owner if I enjoyed my stay. I started to say something about how long I had waited for a taxi but was then glared at by the manager! I decided I was too tired and in a rush to make more of a complaint about my awful experience.
After 3 hours sleep, no breakfast, a very late and biarre taxi journey along with many many things wrong with my room I would strongly recommend not staying here!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rafayel on the Left Bank boasts 70 designer "smart" rooms, champagne bar, riverside restaurant and conference facilities, exhibition spaces as well as the latest spa and beauty treatments and gym. Rafayel is one of the world's most advanced luxury green hotels and proves that hotels can dramatically reduce their carbon emission output without compromising on five-star luxury, quality or comfort. Located on the River Thames at the heart of London's most dynamic riverside development, with sweeping views across to Chelsea Harbour, Rafayel is minutes from the shopping areas of Sloane Square and Knightsbridge and is close to Victoria Station and London's major attractions. Rafayel provides a free shuttle service to and from Clapham Junction and Clapham Common on Northern line every 30 minutes from 7.30 AM to 10.30 PM. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Expedia, ACCOR, Lastminute, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Traveltool, S.L.U., HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rafayel On The Left Bank - Hotel And Spa
- Rafayel On The Left Bank Hotel London