“Possibly the worst night's sleep I have experienced”

Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa
Ranked #309 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Possibly the worst night's sleep I have experienced”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2010

I stayed at the Rafayel in July for one night when my team had a cooking class in Clapham junction for a teambuild. I had booked the hotel for the team when I received a call from the hotel that morning saying due to them overbooking would 4 of us be happy to stay in the penthouse instead?! We wereof course very excited about this, the room normally costs £4000 a night but we were only charged the standard room rate. The hotel itself is a short taxi ride from Clapham Junction tube and looks very nice from the outside.

My room was the master bedroom in the penthouse, the room had a tiny single bed in a huge room. Although I was the only one in this room, I would expect at least a double bed in a 'penthouse'. We soon realised that were had not been given a penthouse, but instead we had been given an unfinished apartment. The apartment was not connected to the hotel, there was no telephone in the room and no way to order breakfast - so we all went hungry.

My colleague had no curtains in her room and although I did have curtains, the sunlight flooded into the bright white room at 5am!! Making it impossible for me to fall back to sleep. In all, I had 3 hours sleep that night. There was no hairdryer and my towels had rips in them. The bath was rusty and the walk-in shower had no light, making it a very dark showering experience! The toiletries given to us were used, large shampoos/conditioners/toothpaste etc which looked like they were left behind from other guests. There wasn't a desk area or any suitable surfaces to place any belongings on, so I placedall my stuff on the floor when getting ready. We also found clothes and building equipment in the room's cupboards.

The attitude of the desk concierge was laid-back and frosty. My colleague booked her taxi the night before with the concierge, checked again before she went to bed and was promised it was all booked and writen down. When he came down in the morning there was no taxi and the man at the desk was unhelpful and acted as if he could care less! I also had issues getting a taxi, the hotel does not seem to have a good relationship with the taxi firm they called as I witnessed a frosty conversation between them whehn I requested a taxi into town. The hotel also offer a free taxi service to Clapham Junction for hotel guests, however I had to wait a very long time for it in the morning, only to be told the driver had managed to get lost!! Very bizarre as the station is a 10 minute driver and I would have expected him to have done this journey at least a few times before I came downstairs, even if he was new! I ended up having to be taken in one of the employee's cars...

When I checked-out in the morning I was asked by the manager/owner if I enjoyed my stay. I started to say something about how long I had waited for a taxi but was then glared at by the manager! I decided I was too tired and in a rush to make more of a complaint about my awful experience.

After 3 hours sleep, no breakfast, a very late and biarre taxi journey along with many many things wrong with my room I would strongly recommend not staying here!!!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
11 Thank Sian D
Rafayel, Manager at Rafayel on the Left Bank - Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 31 August 2010
Dear Madam
First of all we would thank you for your comments and apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay with us.
The apartment you and your colleagues used is a 4000 ft. fully furnished 16th floor Penthouse with a 360 degree view of the London skyline. It is considered as one of the most beautiful apartments for its views across London. As you have acknowledged we did inform you of this relocation prior to your arrival and that it was disconnected from the hotel. The reason was that we thought that it will help in gelling activity of your corporate.
This apartment was used recently for fifteen days for a major movie with few of the most famous global actors and actresses using it expansively. Judging from the initial reactions from all of you we genuinely thought that you and your colleagues would have a pleasant experience and enjoy your stay with us. We did explain that Room Service of Breakfast was possible if the reception was informed.
All lights and linen was in perfect order when our Housekeepers prepared the apartment. Our bath room toiletries are organic products from ‘Neom’ packed in 240ml glass containers. We do not use small plastic bottles and reuseable 200ml containers. Unfortunately, the incident you refer to theTaxi Company on the following morning was due to one of our guests being overcharged. We had negotiated special rates with them on behalf of our guests and any overcharge results in our serious queries and censure.
Our representative has contacted one of your colleagues with an apology and we do sincerely hope you’ll come back and stay with us again.
Please accept our deep apologies and we thank you once again for your stay and for your critic which will help us to enhance our services further.

With Kind Regards
Chris de Saram
Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
  • Polish first
dorset, uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2010

Not much of a review-but hope it's helpful to anyone else wishing to stay here.
I had booked to stay at this hotel, through Booking.com. on 31/8/10
I e:mailed the hotel, got my reservation number and info regarding location. The reservation department answered me accurately and quickly; so I assume the service when staying there would have been similar.
Unfortunately, I will not get to experience the hotel's delights, as the re-opening, after a recent fire, has been delayed until at least September; so be warned if you have booked there for the next few days :-(
The hotel did phone me when they were given updated info regarding the re-opening week.

• Stayed August 2010
Dear Madam,

Many thanks for your review on Tripadvisor. We sincerely regret being unable to welcome you to our hotel, and would like to take this opportunity to update you and other readers of the sequence of events that took place at the building.

The fire was in the basement car park of the 17-storey Falcon Wharf building and not in the hotel itself. However our water plant, which is located in the basement, was affected and the supply of hot water to the rooms was interrupted.

As a result, we had to suspend all bookings until we could rectify the problem. A new plant was ordered immediately and we are happy to report that the hotel will recommence operations from Friday the 3rd of September.

Thank you once again for your encouraging review and we hope to welcome you to our hotel in the near future.

Kind regards,

Chris de Saram
Operations Manager
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2010

Had the pleasure of staying with friends just before Christmas 09.
Everyone had an amazing time, was made to feel very comfortable
and were well looked after.
The Hotel is very clean and tidy with great service, they can't do enough for you.
I will continue to use Hotel Rafayel as my preferred hotel choice when staying in town.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2010

We are regular visitors to the London and with business stay on a regular occurrance. We normally stay in the Clapham area and were very impressed by the hotel and room we stayed in.
The location, food, restuarant and rooms were all great.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

I have had the privilege of staying at many of the high end hotels in London. Some although very good lack in that personal touch especially when it comes to the staff. No such issues here The Rafayel is a wonderful place to stay if you are working or just site seeing in London, easy to find no congestion charge cheap parking and even a transfer to take you to and pick you up from the nearest tube station.

The Rafayel is very trendy and set on the Thames with great views from rooms overlooking the river; the river walkways are easily accessible from the Hotel. The staff went out of their way to show great hospitality and assistance. They were very helpful and actually I'd say professional but real people down to earth and friendly. The Hotel itself is new with a modern decor but there are so many personal touches throughout the building including the rooms which are spacious and welcoming. My room came with a large LCD TV mini bar FREE yes FREE internet Access there was even a bidet in the bathroom. The heating/air con is computerised and easily controllable. The bed was very comfortable and I had no issues relating to noise.

Towels a plenty slippers and bathrobe, the fitness area was great a brand new sauna and steam room Jacuzzi. There are Spa facilities and a fitness pool available at an extra cost, I will definitely get myself a treatment next time. The restaurant onsite had very good food and atmosphere, situated so that you are next to the river makes it a very special place. Try the rack of lamb chops for mains and kheer brule for desert absolutely delicious. There is even a cigar sheeshah area fully fitted with patio heaters, relaxing sofas and an LCD TV.

During my stay here in one of the out buildings there was a party for Bollywood Great Sharukh Khan and there was a fantastic atmosphere and buzz. I think I've found my favourite retreat for when I visit London on business and have booked to stay here again next week. Oh and the price for is very low when compared to similar hotels in the area.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Germany/UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

We booked this hotel before reading any reviews just because the location suited us - we needed to be in that area. After our stay I can confirm the positive reviews I have now read: clean, welcoming, friendly staff, delightful river terrace on 2nd floor, attractive rooms. So there is no need to repeat what has been said before and I would certainly recommend it as an alternative to the standard, central London hotels.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2010

We stayed at this hotel for mini break for our 2nd wedding anniversary and from the moment we arrived we just knew it would be a fantastic stay. The lobby is very impressive with clean lines and sleek furntiure with calm lighting and welcoming and cheerful staff. We were taken up to our room which was huge (amazon room) with a huge bed too! - we had a tour of the hotel from Errol who was a true gent and even saw views from the 17th floor which have 360 panoramic views of london. The bar / restaurant area is lovely and the staff are so helpful, there is an outside area overlooking the thames were you can sit and have drinks or a snack in the early evening while watching the sunset. The Operations Manager - Chris De Saram was so helpful to us and others and nothing was too much for the hotel - they even suprised us with sparkling wine and cup cakes - not to mention the fabulous sauna / steam / jacuzzi!! Overall very impressed and would come back again and again! - possibly the only hotekl i would stay in for lesiure in London!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple