“Nice touches but unhygienic”

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea
Ranked #16 of 923 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I stayed at Travel Joy for one night as I needed to catch an early bus the next morning from Victoria station.

There were nice small offerings more than usually expected from a hostel that price: free non alcoholic drinks, free breakfast with omelettes and smoothies (unfortunately didn't get to try due to early check out), towels provided. The beds were fine but the room looked like it had not been cleaned in months, i.e., you could actually see dust bunnies.

The biggest problem however was the showers. There was a line for the showers but one was unoccupied. Upon closer inspection it was because the cubicle smelt strongly of urine that even wafted to the other cubicles. While we were waiting one staff member came in, opened the door, looked in, and promptly left! Waited at least another half an hour for a free shower and no one came back in that time. Not quite sure what she was doing or what she accomplished, but it seems unacceptable that she knew what was happening and didn't address it.

The staff was very friendly but based on cleanliness of the place, wouldn't stay here again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Adrian B, General Manager at Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to complete this amazing review following your recent stay with us.

We greatly appreciate all comments made by our guests, whether positive or for our development as it allows for continued improvement in that which is most important to us, our guest service.

I was really concerned to hear that we did not meet your expectations and I am sorry you were disappointed.

I can ensure you we thoroughly clean our rooms and bathrooms twice a day. It was unfortunate that between our daily cleaning you had an issue with one of our cubicles, We would have acted upon it immediately if notified at reception regarding this unfortunate issue.

I really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to our hostel and please do not hesitate to contact us for any assistance you may need.

Best regards,

Adrian B.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My friend and I visited London from August 3 - 10, 2014, and stayed at Traveljoy for the whole week. We initially booked it because it seemed clean and came with WiFi and breakfast, but we had no idea what kind of experience we would actually have. Now that the week is over (we checked out this morning), there are no words to accurately describe how much love we both feel for this place. Rather than just living in the hostel, we felt as though the staff adopted us into their family. Their kind gestures and eagerness to talk and become friends made our time in London above and beyond anything it could have been. So just book Travel joy. You won't regret it (the housing itself is clean and comfortable), and you might walk away with some amazing new friends like we did.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor with regards to your recent stay at Travel Joy Hostel, your feedback is invaluable.

We were delighted to read your review and your comments which goes a long way in motivating and encouraging the team. I am happy to learn from your comments that our facilities as well as all the staff at the hotel were able to make this a memorable stay for you and your family.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on the occasion of your next visit to London.

If I may be of any further assistance, please feel free to reach out to me.

Kind Regards,

Adrian B.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Place was nice 10 minute walk from Pimlico station, the place had charm and character. Staff were so helpful and really made the experience, as I had never before stayed in a hostel and was quite overwhelmed at first. I would recommend making use of their free wifi, breakfast and drinks! For the price I payed per night I was surprised at the great value for money. Nice little perk to coming back at night was the bowl of candy they put by the reception, good pick-me-up after long day working or after a run. Took me about an hour to walk to my workplace in Holborn and went past major attractions such as Big Ben and the Battersea Power station.

Room Tip: Staircases are a bit narrow so difficult to take suitcases up, try rooms lower down.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed there in July for 5 days. The staff was friendly, and fast. I liked having free drinks and the breakfast was good.
But, I was very disapointed to see the negligence in cleaning. It was very dirty in the room and in the bar. The floor was black. The walls were full of dirt. And the odor was very important especially in the stairs. There wasnt any place to put my things in the room except on the dirty floor.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed for one night! Great price,but overall could use some improvements...some positives and negatives. Overall, I might come back, but I would like to experience other hostels to see if I might like it better

Positives: Free drinks, great breakfast, very nice staff, reasonable beds (not the best I've seen for the price range but not the worst), the bus 24 is right outside, and reasonable price.

Negatives: The beds in the room were all cramped (I stayed in a 12 person room)...this has been unique to this hostel in specific in my experience because I always try to get the room with the most beds. The shower room is not run-down but not the best either...the shower is tiny 2 ft x 2 ft and my room at least did not have a shower curtain. Not a very comfortable shower at all. Bathroom was also ok-not too clean but usable. I also felt the room generally (besides the bed) has been neglected in cleaning. Individual reading lamps would be a great addition. The directions should i have the distance listed per step-from the directions, the walking distance to the tube station is a little misleading.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank a442014
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

We had stayed there 3 years before. There is one thing that they should change straight away: in their directions, they should NOT make you walk 1 km with your suitcases. We already knew that, so we took bus 24 that happens to stop RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE HOSTEL. Service was very good (with the exception of the eastern European woman in charge of making omelets/pancakes, she is definitely not happy working there), breakfast was good, free soft drinks, coffee and tea all day and good food prices at dinner. Our room had a massive TV but we felt like the Flintstones, sleeping in separate beds. If the opportunity arose, we would stay there again, although is a bit far from most of the attractions (but bus 24 again saves your day and takes you all through the major sightseeing opportunities in London).

Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank FranciscoB217
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I spent 3 nights at the Travel Joy Hostel, and I enjoyed a lot. Very nice staff, clean rooms, very good breakfast and very warm and nice place. I visited 5 hostels in London, and this one is the best of all!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo