“Pleasant stay at Dean Street”

and 1 more site!
Dean Street Townhouse
Ranked #247 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I have just returned from a 3 night stay in a small room at Dean St. The room we were allocated was bigger than I expected. While a small room, it was suitably furnished with lots of nice touches. My only gripe though small Is the cleanliness. While the bed, bed linen and towels were spotless, for the money you pay for this hotel, I would have expected the cleaning to be faultless. The shower area was a bit grubby and the tea cups and saucers looked as if they were just being rinsed in the bathroom sink with hot water. Overall, it was a lovely hotel and would probably return.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Wintert1me

Reviewed 28 May 2011

Our taxi driver seemed determined not to take instruction as to the name of the Hotel and dropped us off at the Soho Hotel a few minutes walk from from The Dean Street Hotel. Slightly annoying. None of the taxi drivers knew where it was for that matter.
The receptionists were extremely friendly and showed us to our "small room" I have stayed in smaller but it was perfectly acceptable for my daughter and I as we were only in town for one night for the Chelsea flower show.
My taxi fairs in two days were pretty ridiculous as my stomping ground is Knightsbridge and Chelsea and Piccadilly always seemed busy whatever time you were travelling.
The only major thing that I think let the Hotel down was the fact that my pillow case had someone elses's make up on it....not pleasant. I reported this to the reception the next morning I was asked if I was having breakfast I was not and guess what.. that was that! The Manager (!) (?) rang someone and ordered them to his office! Very impressive (NOT!)
Don't wash your dirty laundry in public or do as in the case of my x pillow case may be!
Will not be rushing back there.
Also too many staff hanging around the desk doing ..........?

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2011

My second stay at this hotel. There is nothing wrong with
this hotel--it is perfect. The staff could not be warmer or more efficient. The rooms are gorgeous (I was upgraded to a medium. A kindness I appreciated very much, and the room itself is spectacular.) And the hotel/bar next door is wonderful. A real oasis of calm in the middle of Soho. Dean Street has spoiled me. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Many thanks to all the staff there.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank sternsk
Reviewed 1 April 2011

I arrived 3 hours before check in and wanted to stash by bag so I could grab some lunch but was told if you have time we have a room free and you are welcome to check in which was great news. Check in was efficient but felt friendly and I appreciate what people are saying the service is not formal but I really liked their style it relaxed me and made me feel welcomed.

I was shown to my room and the gentleman carried my case for me. I was a little concerned as I had booked a small room and I thought it would be a little bit of a disappointment but is was anything but. The small room was the size of most rooms in London they are just honest in describing the product which is offered.

My room was the room pictured on the website which does not do it justice. It feels much bigger and the bed was frankly the best bed I have ever slept it. it was perfect with soft pillows and lovely linens I did not want to get up. When you walk in you are greeted by classical music dimmed lights and really it is a struggle to venture out.

The bathroom was superb with all the accessories everyone has mentioned and the Cowshed products including 4 types of shower gel depending on your mood - I chose grumpy cow!

I am the most fussy person with hotels and I have never found anywhere I truely love in London despite staying at some pretty pricey places but this is now my prefered option but beware I have tried to book up for my future planned trips this year and on several occassions the place is fully booked. Next time I am trying a tiny room as it was all they had left but when I checked out the chap on reception said if you are staying by yourself the tiny room is more than big enough and you know what this place is so lovely you believe what they stay.

Only two drawbacks which I can forgive. Noise - not from outside but internally. Early morning I could hear my next door neighbour on the loo and it was very noisy with doors banging and housekeeping. Secondly the temperature was way to hot. London was having an early heatwave in spring so it may be they had not planned for this but everytime I ventured out of my room into the corridor I thought I was hitting an early menapause.

Overall though I can summarise in one word - Gorgeous!

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Izzyk
Reviewed 29 March 2011

My daughter and I stayed in the unique "Broom Cupboard"room. The room was quaint, the service at the reception wonderful, the resturant attached fabulous and the location perfect. The first clue was ear plugs provided for the room. They failed to tell you that on four sides of this room are exposed to the outside, roof and three sides and is on the second floor above a busy very noisy street of foot traffic. The SOHO private clubs do not shut down early and drunks were walking the streets at 4-6 am every morning brawling, yelling and god knows what. Also, the floor of the room is the ceiling of the dining room and the door right outside the entrance of the room was for room service. Get the picture. NO SLEEP. They did refund 1/2 of one night of the 7 night stay for the inconvience. There were no other rooms of the SOHO group to go to for it was between Xmas and New Years and the rooms were booked. We left New Years day exhausted and disgusted. Any room in this hotel that is not on the top floor of the four floors and not an inside room gets lots of NOISE! We have both stayed in many hotels in London and this is the first time that I left physically exhausted from lack of quality sleep due to the noise from room service and location of this room. I will go back to hotels in Mayfair and travel the extra distance by underground.

• Stayed: December 2010
9  Thank BayouCity2134
Reviewed 20 March 2011

We have stayed at the Dean Street Townhouse twice within the last two weeks. It is very common to be surprised by the size of your room but almost unheard of because the room is much larger than you expected or hoped, but that was our experience. Not only are the rooms large for anywhere let alone central London, they are elegantly furnished and decorated with antique and comfortable 4-poster beds, sofas and tables. The sheets and bed linen are wonderfully smooth and the duvets truly featherweight. And that's just the bedrooms. The hotel used to be a row of Georgian townhouses and the public areas are also elegant and comfortable with panelling and old furniture painted in mellow Georgian colours: stylish and appropriate as well as comfortable. So much for the physical environment, the staff are friendly efficient and charming. The front desk know who you are and greet you personally as a welcome guest whom they will be delighted to assist in any way you ask. This is at least as important as the physical environment in making you feel comfortable. The location in the heart of Soho is fantastic and whilst there is the street noise of a central location outside, inside it is peaceful and, I guess, well sound-proofed. I was amazed and delighted by this hotel and its staff and hope that it and they get the credit for a really impressive achievement.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JonathanWalkerJersey
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We sometimes take daytrips to London for the theatre, but thought this time we would treat ourselves to a couple of nights in Soho, giving us time to explore the West end rather than just rushing in for a meal and a play. We are so glad we stayed at this hotel (as recommended by Mr & Mrs Smith) and will change our way of visiting London. We are already thinking of our next trip back.
This location is a treat because we could walk everywhere we wanted to go, and always felt safe, even on the very busy streets in the evening. (Speaking of the streets, don't miss the charming Meard Street, just around the corner from the Restaurant, that gives you a sense of stepping back to an 18th century residential street. Look for the plaque high on the wall that gives you more information.)
This Hotel may be staffed only by beautiful people, but don't worry, they are lovely and helpful too.
Whoever decorated and sorted the details out for the rooms deserves a huge thank you because we were so comfortable and cosy in our quiet room at the top of the stairs, number 29, we had trouble leaving the room the first afternoon, although the Cricket on the big flat screen TV may have had something to do with it.
I was momentarily disappointed when I looked for something decaffeinated to be had in the room (a small quibble, as they have chosen wonderful quality tea bags (like the ones from Jing tea) and fresh ground coffee and yummy cookies until I remembered the Nespresso machine in the sitting room behind Reception. Sure enough, there must be twelve different kinds of coffees, including two decaf choices. We struggled for a moment trying to figure out how to work the machine when the same wonderful chap who carried our bags to the room shimmered up beside us to demonstrate how to use it. We happily sat there for my coffee fixes, reading the papers and mags. (Big bowl of fresh fruit there as well.)
I could go on, describing the fine assortment of Cowshed products available and the flip-flops and soft bathrobes and luxurious towels and very comfortable bed and the daily Guardian outside our room each morning and so on, but you get the picture.
There isn't much storage space, but that wasn't a problem, as we travelled light. I used the Dean Street Townhouse carrier bag that was provided to keep the smaller items organised, like our toiletry bags, and everything else got hung up.
It was splendid and we were very happy.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple