“Almost Perfect?”

Dean Street Townhouse
Ranked #156 of 1,073 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 March 2010

I spent a long time researching where I wanted to stay for holiday in London. I was able to find five star hotels on Priceline in the 150 dollar range, however, a friend recommended Dean Street and after reading the reviews I was intrigued. The rooms are pricey...we paid 160 GBP (about 240 US) for a (very) small room...and I rarely pay full price these days as it is so easy to find a great hotel for a bargain price so it was a bit of a pinch financially.

One of the best things about Dean Street is the location. It is in the center of Soho and close to everything. It also offers the intimacy and amenities of a boutique hotel. The products previously mentioned are a nice touch and the quality of the bedding is lovely.
A previous reviewer complained of the noise which was not a problem in our room. Our small room was tucked away in the back of the hotel where no noise could penetrate. I must also say that no light could either. If you require a window, light, or a view, please make sure you discuss this when you make your booking. Also recognize that when they say small, they mean small. The bed takes up much of the room and there is little room for even the lightest morning stretching routine. Oh! And beware the dreaded fibers of the carpet. Having just returned home and done my laundry, I see that these fibers will not come out with a simple wash.

As for the staff...well...they are young and inexperienced and darling. We had three separate employees up to the room to explain the television. Everyone had a different technique for getting it to work (or not) and it wasn't until the last day that someone was actually able to make it work properly. So...a little training for the staff please! I hesitate to even complain about them because honestly they were trying soooo hard.

As for housekeeping...a little bit spotty. Dirty coffee pot. No toilet paper. Ah well. It is still
an excellent alternative to the large hotels of london with its lovely intimate feel and superb location.

• Stayed: March 2010
There are newer reviews for Dean Street Townhouse

Reviewed 14 March 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night in a medium room - the furnishings and decor were stunning. However, the double glazing was utterly insufficient - obviously you expect noise in the middle of soho but we have stayed in many hotels in central london and never experienced such appalling noise-proofing - we were kept awake for most of the night.
The TV had virtually no reception - we asked for somone to look into it, but no one bothered to give us an update and the bad reception meant that the TV was unwatchable.
The room was unbelievably warm, verging on the uncomfortable.
Breakfast in the restaurant was a total joke - we sat there for ages waiting to be offered a drink, when the coffee came it was cold and had to be sent back, we asked three times for our order to be taken, the service was surly and basic and we walked out after waiting for an hour for a sausage sandwich - truly shocking service.
We complained to the reception staff who took no responsibility for the mishaps and grinned back at us with a condescending smirk. The fact that their command of English was poor didn't help matters.
So, the decor is beautiful but the service needs re-thinking. And don't stay here if you want a good night's sleep!
Sort it out Dean Street - we were expecting so much more.

Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
6  Thank traveller51london
Reviewed 11 March 2010

Had a fantastic stay - we came to London for one night and I was very much looking forward to trying this new hotel and it did not disappoint. We stayed in a "Big" Room at the top of the hotel. The room was beautifully decorated, and no expense spared on extras. Our bed had 10 pillows on it, there was a tin of fresh cookies by the bed, the bathroom was stuffed full of cowshed products (I counted 10 full size bottles) and there was a tray of things you may have forgotten - toothpaste, toothbrush,mouthwash, cowshed lip salve, moisturiser, cleanser, toner, razors etc. Free Wi-fi also available.

We ate in the restaurant and had delicious food.

A few people have mentioned the service letting the hotel down. This was not our experience. The staff were friendly, attentive and a great help particularly when a speedy pre-theatre course was needed and a fast checkout was suddenly required on leaving the next day.

We bumped into a lady in the lift from Leicester who said "I have been waiting for a hotel like this for years"!!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2010

My bottom line: a nice guest room, but very clueless "service."

Service issues: I left the heavy key with the front desk when leaving for the evening, but the staff are so green that not a single time did they know where to look for the key to "room 37." I had to point it out to them each time the cubby hole marked "37." Seriously. They didn't know how to check the computer to see if a room in my category was ready for check in. They made a big deal out of informing me that the Guardian was the only newspaper option and that it would be delivered. No paper showed up the next morning, and when I inquired, the same person who had informed me about the Guardian delivery acted surprised that I wanted a paper, and gave me one of the 2 Telegraphs that was sitting on a table in the lobby.

Check-in is in a very narrow space on the ground floor, so if more than one person is checking-in at a time you'll be crowded, especially if you have any real luggage with you.

Their top room category is labeled a "Bigger" room, which appropriately indicates that you shouldn't be expecting an outright "Big" room. But it was a decent size for a non-suite in a European city (42 sq meters), as large as a junior suite in places like the Connaught, but at a much lower price--and probably a much fresher room than what you'd find at some of the more established luxury hotels.

And the room was definitely of 5-star standards. Tremendous pillows and bedding. Very subtle and beautiful use of color. Woven natural, soft fiber for the carpeting, which seems of the place in evoking the neo-Georgian feel of the hotel. (That said, the hotel mentioned when I asked about the fiber that "they can't remember what it is but lots of guests complain about it since it sheds on all of their clothing." True enough--I dropped a black sweater on the floor by accident and it is covered with small fibers.)

Very good bathroom--with a large, walk-in rainforest shower with tremendously powerful water pressure. Black and white tile floor, white tile walls. Underfloor radiant heating, heavenly in a London winter. Roll-top bathtub in the bedroom itself.

I wouldn't recommend any room categories lower than their top, since you wouldn't want a smaller or lower quality room than the "Bigger" ones, which for 340 pounds, including VAT, provided me with a nice enough experience to not make me regret having stayed there.

Free wireless internet access.

I ate breakfast (just ok) and dinner (good-not-great) in the restaurant, which has a very convivial atmosphere.

As at least one other reviewer noted, there's no real public space--this is mostly a restaurant with rooms. But the "bigger" rooms are wonderful, even if there's nothing beyond the rooms themselves to recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
3  Thank DaneP
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Just returned from a short visit to this hotel. Excellent well appointed room, friendly and helpful Reception staff but beware of the Restaurant!! We went to the restaurant for breakfast and ordered bacon and eggs for 2 at £6.50 each. We were then asked if we would like tea or coffee. We ordered one tea and one coffee and toast. We expected a bill of £13.00 and were therefore surprised to see a bill for £24.00!! The tea, the coffee and the toast were all extra and in addition 10% had been added for service. There was no mention or reference to these items on the breakfast menu.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank hud3
Reviewed 4 March 2010

After all of the disappointments that frequent travel brings it really is great when somebody gets it absolutely spot on. Dean Street Townhouse does just that. Great location, lovely building and that's just the outside! The room that I stayed in had probably the comfiest hotel bed that I've ever slept in with good quality cotton linen and six fluffy pillows. Sony Bravia flatscreen with all sky channels (including movies & sports), Sony dvd player with free dvd rental (£20 deposit), dab radio and Bose i-pod dock take care of the entertainment and the bathroom is similarly well equipped with Cowshed products. But what really made this hotel special were the thoughtful extras. There is a mini bar in the room but the water is free, there's fresh milk in the fridge to make tea, there's a toiletry pack that includes toothpaste, toothbrish, a decent razor and shaving oil. There is also free WiFi - I really resent paying to stay in decent hotels and then being asked to pay for internet access ( at the 4 Seasons in Dublin recently I was asked to pay a charge in excess of €20 per device!). My other bugbear is being ripped off for breakfast, not an issue at DST, I had a sausage sandwich delivered to my room for a fiver, and it came with brown sauce and tomato ketchup in proper pots not un-openable sachets.
Well done Dean Street Townhouse, you'll be seeing me again

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2010

We stayed on a friday evening. On entering the foyer you enter a dimly lit world. To say it is a depressing ambiance is probably going a bit too far but it is on that way. We stayed in a tiny room. Tiny is the word and we disagree with others who have said how wonderful such rooms are. They are not what we would call relaxing and i would not want to stay in one for more than one night. Our room was in a dim parchment colour with no pictures or mirror to brighten things up. The door opens outwards because of the lack of space, two people cannot pass round the bed at the same time and there are no cupboards to hang things in or drawers to put away clothes. Ones bag then has to be climbed over. TV reception was poor. The room was quiet and the bed comfortable to sleep in. It was in the middle of the building looking out on to a central well type area i.e. not much outside light getting in and no view. On arrival - mid afternoon - so not busy - we asked if they could check our restaurant booking was still OK. We were told to go outside and round to the restaurant to check ourselves. Not my idea of customer service. The rooms are advertised as small so I am not complaining about that description just trying to give readers a fair review of what the tiny rooms are like on entry. Stay if you want somewhere central and don't intend to use the room much.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple