“could do better”

Ranked #127 of 1,063 Hotels in London
edinburgh
“could do better”
Reviewed 5 April 2010

we knew we were booking the tiny room and so weren't at all surprised at its size and to be honest for a one night stay its fine
BUT we stayed four nights and the size became a problem! also the bed doesn't properly fit its frame so there's a gap and my husband and I both have bruises from bumping into the corner of the frame.
the room was stifling hot and we kept turning the heating off and the staff kept turning it back on...
we thought the bathroom was great as were the toiletries.
and the lovely touch of giving you a 'treats' box with homemade biscuits was lovely
but and here is our real disappointment
breakfast in the restaurant - what a letdown for us. we were only 2 people in (it was 730am but restaurant opened at 7) - two members of staff couldn't have cared less. I ordered a bread basket and was beyond disappointed to get a pastry basket - two croissants, a pastry and a bun. I have eaten in lots of london restaurants for breakfast and had fabulous bread baskets. this wasn't one of them. my husband's scrambled eggs and bacon was mediocre. the cost of breakfast was ridiculous considering what we had.... when we told the reception staff (after they said how was your stay?) they said oh sorry about that and quickly changed the subject.
nice enough hotel but needs some improvements

2 Thank lynniemac13

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2010

Decided to spend a few days in London, on the rebound from a long business trip in Asia. I tried to book The Soho Hotel, where I usually stay, but they were booked. I recall seeing Dean Street Townhouse, on my last trip in December, and decided to try it out.
I chose a "bigger room" and have to say I loved the space and the furnishings.
The shower room is fantastic along with the Cowshed products and the bed was very comfortable.
My room, No. 32, faced Dean Street and I didn't experience the noise that some mentioned, on this site.
All that being said they need to work on room service. On both days, when I returned mid afternoon, the room had not been serviced. Annoying actually, since just as you're trying to relax, they show up. Both nights, no turn down service. One morning I called for breakfast, they were clearly busy, I was told they would call me right back -- they never did.
I understand it's a small establishment, but they need to fine tune this detail.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank gcosta58
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2010

As you have probably read this hotel is splashed over the Travel press regularly..... it's got its major plus points... but overall needs to get a bit of a grip on the details...

The Plus Points....

1) Great location - no more than 10 mins walk to Oxford Street, Theatreland & Leicester Square. The nearest tube is Tottenham Court Road.... again around 10 mins away.
2) Good room at the back of reception for a read of the paper and a decent coffee
3) Shower & all the Cow Shed products to try....

The Negatives

1) We stayed in a Tiny room.... this was no problem at all BUT you would expect them to try to de clutter the room (lots of crisps/wine, etc on all available surfaces) so the room became even tinier!

2) The bathroom.... again... designed by someone who has never tried to stay in the room... no hooks for towels or bathrobes.

3) Mirrors.... my wife really struggled to do hair/put make up on.... very few mirrors and the lighting around them was poor.

4) The Staff.... when you ask for a recommendation for a decent cocktail/wine bar and you get told ' if you wanted that type of thing you should have stayed in Covent Garden' then it ain't good. We found our own... with absolutely no thanks to them. Also, there was a general aura of we'll get to you in our own sweet time and ask you the same question 10 times as we aren't really listening... when we were leaving (at 4.30ish) there were a couple of guests getting irate that their room wasn't ready..... and not getting anywhere with the reception staff.

My overall impression was we got a bargain rate (as we booked v early) of £95 per night for a small room in an average hotel.

If you have any questions you want answering let me know!

3 Thank adamcaulfield
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 March 2010

Travelling alone I'm happy to pay a tiny price for a tiny room and Dean Street townhouse delivers. lovely cute room with fabulous shower room, small but perfectly formed. Less than half the price of other west end hotels I've stayed in but twice as nice and friendly.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank prgirl1
seattle
Reviewed 19 March 2010

I spent a long time researching where I wanted to stay for holiday in London. I was able to find five star hotels on Priceline in the 150 dollar range, however, a friend recommended Dean Street and after reading the reviews I was intrigued. The rooms are pricey...we paid 160 GBP (about 240 US) for a (very) small room...and I rarely pay full price these days as it is so easy to find a great hotel for a bargain price so it was a bit of a pinch financially.

One of the best things about Dean Street is the location. It is in the center of Soho and close to everything. It also offers the intimacy and amenities of a boutique hotel. The products previously mentioned are a nice touch and the quality of the bedding is lovely.
A previous reviewer complained of the noise which was not a problem in our room. Our small room was tucked away in the back of the hotel where no noise could penetrate. I must also say that no light could either. If you require a window, light, or a view, please make sure you discuss this when you make your booking. Also recognize that when they say small, they mean small. The bed takes up much of the room and there is little room for even the lightest morning stretching routine. Oh! And beware the dreaded fibers of the carpet. Having just returned home and done my laundry, I see that these fibers will not come out with a simple wash.

As for the staff...well...they are young and inexperienced and darling. We had three separate employees up to the room to explain the television. Everyone had a different technique for getting it to work (or not) and it wasn't until the last day that someone was actually able to make it work properly. So...a little training for the staff please! I hesitate to even complain about them because honestly they were trying soooo hard.

As for housekeeping...a little bit spotty. Dirty coffee pot. No toilet paper. Ah well. It is still
an excellent alternative to the large hotels of london with its lovely intimate feel and superb location.

• Stayed March 2010
london
Reviewed 14 March 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night in a medium room - the furnishings and decor were stunning. However, the double glazing was utterly insufficient - obviously you expect noise in the middle of soho but we have stayed in many hotels in central london and never experienced such appalling noise-proofing - we were kept awake for most of the night.
The TV had virtually no reception - we asked for somone to look into it, but no one bothered to give us an update and the bad reception meant that the TV was unwatchable.
The room was unbelievably warm, verging on the uncomfortable.
Breakfast in the restaurant was a total joke - we sat there for ages waiting to be offered a drink, when the coffee came it was cold and had to be sent back, we asked three times for our order to be taken, the service was surly and basic and we walked out after waiting for an hour for a sausage sandwich - truly shocking service.
We complained to the reception staff who took no responsibility for the mishaps and grinned back at us with a condescending smirk. The fact that their command of English was poor didn't help matters.
So, the decor is beautiful but the service needs re-thinking. And don't stay here if you want a good night's sleep!
Sort it out Dean Street - we were expecting so much more.

Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank traveller51london
Bristol
Reviewed 11 March 2010

Had a fantastic stay - we came to London for one night and I was very much looking forward to trying this new hotel and it did not disappoint. We stayed in a "Big" Room at the top of the hotel. The room was beautifully decorated, and no expense spared on extras. Our bed had 10 pillows on it, there was a tin of fresh cookies by the bed, the bathroom was stuffed full of cowshed products (I counted 10 full size bottles) and there was a tray of things you may have forgotten - toothpaste, toothbrush,mouthwash, cowshed lip salve, moisturiser, cleanser, toner, razors etc. Free Wi-fi also available.

We ate in the restaurant and had delicious food.

A few people have mentioned the service letting the hotel down. This was not our experience. The staff were friendly, attentive and a great help particularly when a speedy pre-theatre course was needed and a fast checkout was suddenly required on leaving the next day.

We bumped into a lady in the lift from Leicester who said "I have been waiting for a hotel like this for years"!!