“Very good”

and 1 more site!
Dean Street Townhouse
Ranked #245 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 29 May 2010

Went with my partner on a Thursday for one night. Very, very cool and great all the way round. Thanks alot!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 May 2010

Having stayed in lots hotels this one is amazing......the rooms are both relaxed
and really luxurious, the service friendly and the location is perfect. Its hard to
find a hotel that doesn't feel bland and corporate but this one is neither.

Breakfast was a bit too forma for usl so we headed to " Make MIne"....a lux coffee shop a
few doors away which made heavenly toasted salmon bagels.....

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2010

We stayed at the dean street townhouse for one night, on their special offer rate. If you book well in advance, you pay only 95 pounds, and get assigned whichever size room they have available on the day- in our case 'small'. It's a bargain deal if you can get it. Our room was small, but totally fine for a short stay- (you might have trouble if you were there longer, as nowhere to put a suitcase). Nice touches in the room- homemade biscuits, fresh milk in the fridge etc... The bathrooms are big, great showers, big choice of cowshed products. The restaurant has a great atmosphere, it was packed both with diners and people just there for a drink at the bar. I would definitely go back there, whether I was staying in the hotel or not. Basically- they have got it right at this hotel!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katie-likes-holidays
Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed there purely for the convenience of its location to a party we were attending. As we were only there for one night we booked a 'Tiny' room and tiny it certainly is. Though I cant really complain about the size as we knew this when we booked and in any case just needed somewhere to sleep for the night. However if you are going to be there for more than a night and there are two of you, you will find it hard to get ready and move around the room at the same time.

The rooms have pretty much everything you could need including an extremely wide collection of toiletries as well as full size Cow Shed products to use as well. There are even hair straighteners.

However my problem was only with the staff, they were obviously busy when we arrived, our rooms (including my sisters) wasnt ready and we had to wait until nearly 4.00 pm to get into them and no explanation as to why. The staff in the bar next door were not to keen to let us sit down for a drink while waiting for our rooms either which didnt help.

However I think we hit a busy weekend, the hotel is beautifully furnished and if you get an appropriately sized room for your stay great. I would stay there again and hopefully the staff will get some training in customer service as it is not high on their list.

Andrea

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank P0rkpieUK
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I don't generally write reviews but I would like to offer my thanks and highest recommendations for the Dean Street Townhouse. From the moment you enter, the staff is warm and inviting, as is the place itself. In my case, I'm doubly indebted. Finding myself stranded there when the volcano erupted, instead of turfing me out, or moving me to a more expensive room (which they could easily have done), I was allowed to stay on in my very reasonably priced (and gorgeous) room. (Labelled Tiny but perfect for the single traveller.) All the staff were solicitous of my travel woes and could not have been kinder or more helpful. It meant a significant worry was removed at a time when I felt genuinely and generally anxious. Thanks to all and to all who might be considering a stay here, do!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 April 2010

My husband was traveling on business and I was tagging along. We were booked into a “large room” for five nights, but due to the volcano eruption in Iceland, ended up staying for nine – that might be the record for any reviewer who has posted here on Dean Street and so I feel we know the place very well. First, it really is a beautifully designed hotel. It is both classic but up-to-date, richly styled. I loved everything about the place in that regard. That’s the fabulous part. Our issues are with the location and the inexperienced staff. Location: As others have noted it is in the heart of Soho on a very busy street filled with pubs, restaurants clubs, etc. Central for sure, and great if you are a party animal. Not so great if you have to work in the morning. And it is not as if I did not anticipate this problem. I even emailed another trip advisor critic to ask about noise and was given a neutral answer. I think because they stayed there in the winter. Bottom line, if you have a room at the front of the house during warm weather you will have NO quiet until 2 am and then at 6 am the trash trucks start to pick up the bins of glass beer bottles. We learned over the course of stay that all the “large” rooms are at the front of the house, so don’t book one of those if you have to sleep at night. Medium size rooms are available at the back and they have tubs as well - so pay less, sleep more. The hotel does provide complimentary ear plugs - so what's left to say? As for the staff: the management needs to teach them how to handle sleepless unhappy customers on an expense account capable of sending a lot more business their way. When we first checked in, we were shown an absolutely giant and beautiful room on the 1st floor, just one flight above street level. We heard the street noise immediately and asked for a room at the back. They moved us to a slightly smaller room two flights up, but still at the front. There they left us, even though in the morning and all week it was clear we were miserable and sleep deprived. NO ONE explained that we might be happier if we moved to a room at the back and no one offered to move us – perhaps because the larger rooms are harder to sell and a downgrade would have cost them. When our reservation ran out, and we found ourselves stuck there on a day to day basis, we asked for a downgrade in order to save my husband’s employer some money. They moved us to a “small” room, but get this: AT THE FRONT OVER THE DOOR TO THE RESTAURANT. Clearly, the staff person who did this (and I can name names) was either passive aggressive or not interested in changing our opinion of the hotel. There were a million other irksome issues like inconsistent housekeeping (bathmat today? no bathmat?), a “turn down” at 11:15 pm after we had gone to bed (they actually entered our room!) and a missing trash can (when we mentioned this at the front desk one morning on our way out, we were told ABSOLUTLEY there was a trash can in our room. When we came back that evening, we still had no trash can – which means NO ONE on staff was dispatched to check on this – THEY WERE THAT SURE we had one. Smug, did I say smug?) We didn’t complain about most of this, not even the location of the second room as we were just too tired to fight back. The management and staff of Dean Street could take a lesson from the excellent and luxurious hotel we moved onto in Rome after our escape from London: the Villa Spelitti Trevelli.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank McWarg
Reviewed 27 April 2010

Paying over £200 for one nights accommodation is a big deal for me so my expectations were high despite some mixed reviews. I stayed with my wife in a medium room (12) which was just wonderful. Comfortable, stylish with fabulous attention to detail including funky cowshed toiletries and a massive bed you could sleep in forever. Our room was at the back and even with our window open, it was still so quiet on Monday morning that we slept through to after 10am. The service was professional but not stuffy and the bar/restaurant although busy was still chilled and relaxed. The place is elegant, conservative and alternative at the same time and we would recommend it to those looking for a something slightly different from the homogenous corporate chains.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple