“Marvellous Arch!”

Ranked #21 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Stafford
“Marvellous Arch!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

We stayed at the Arch for one night and would definitely go back again for a longer period. The hotel is in a great location a short walk from Marble Arch. On check in we were greatly warmly. Our room was stunning. The TV in bath was a plus. Free soft drinks was a welcome treat. The decor of the hotel was very funky and cool. We had continental breakfast in the room which was very good. The only let down was the service in the bar area was very slow both on the Saturday night and on the Sunday afternoon before we left so that was the only disappointing part of the whole stay and didn't marr it enough to ruin the overall experience. If anyone is thinking of staying there, do. It's lovely.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
grant_powell, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 29 October 2011
Dear Guest

It was great to read your comments and thank you for taking the time to post a review. We think the complimentary soft drink mini is a great addition to our rooms so we were glad you used them. There are always areas that we can improve on so your comments have been noted and put into practice to ensure our service is that little bit faster in the future.

Be sure to come back and stay again as I would very much like to meet you.

Grant Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

We stayed here for a few nights and had a great stay. Reception staff was super-friendly and welcoming. And, the room was great. We reserved a superior room (somewhere between the lowest and highest). Everything was brand-spanking new and the room was clean and tastefully decorated!! And, there was space to walk around. We just came from Paris and our room was tiny so it was nice to have some breathing room.

And, the bathroom was also spacious with a flat screen TV in the shower.

We ordered room service from the restaurant downstairs and the food was great.

Overall, the stay was on the pricey side but well worth it. The location is great just about 5 minutes from the tube (Oxford St) on a nice quiet street in the center of town.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at The Arch London. We have a great location in the hotel being so close to the high street yet in the quite residential area.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future. Do let us know so that we can take care of your booking personally.

Colchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in October. We were 5 ladies on a long weekend break celebrating two 50th birthdays. We all LOVED this hotel, the beds and shower were amazing, and everywhere lovely and clean . Breakfast was delicious but expensive so we only ate here for one morning. Staff were lovely and friendly, especially Francisco who was the first member of staff to greet us and memorised all our names and Jonas who served our drinks in the bar one evening. Overall would definetely return.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments and we are so pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay. Francisco & Jonas were so happy to read your comments and we have rewarded them for going above and beyond during your stay.

We would all very much like to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future and thank you again for your comments.

Kortrijk, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2011

We had a fantastic stay in this hotel.
The hotel is situated in a calm street but within short walking distance of the underground, restaurants, parks, shopping streets, ...
Upon arrival the staff were welcoming and attentive. The atmosphere of the hotel is modern, stylish and cosy, as are the rooms.
Our (superior) room had everything one could wish for: internet radio, nespresso coffee machine, mini bar with soft drinks complimentary, beautiful bath room, sky tv, WIFI. We absolutely loved the size of the room, considering the fact we were in London. We have never slept in such good beds.
Breakfast was amazing. There was an ample choice of warm dishes, next to a varied cold buffet. The staff serving breakfast were polite and caring.
The tranquil atmosfere and the size of the hotel is a relief in the huge city of London.
As you can see, we don't have any downsides. Of course, quality has its price. But probably one could have a disappointing experience for the same price in other London hotels.
We can't wait to return... We'll be back in the Arch London.

Room Tip: We stayed in a superior room: it might be a little larger than the basic rooms and had the advantage...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments and we are so pleased to read that you have enjoyed your stay. Your comments have been shared with the team and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

Stayed at the Arch for 8 days recently and overall I loved this hotel. The location is fantastic, a quiet street, but walking distance to many attractions. The hotel is stylish and the rooms are really well equipped. A highlight was the food in the restaurant at dinner - really excellent and some of the best meals during my stay in London. However I have to agree with other reviewers that some of the staff and organisational issues are letting this property down. My check in was a bit perfunctory, and as others have noted some of the staff on the front desk are just not interested. In fact, whilst waiting for some friends I observed that one of these staff sat on the front desk checking out his facebook, and only bothered to assist customers when interrupted - not a good look and not what you expect from this sort of property. Perhaps he thought he was too cool to bother with customer service. Other examples were a booking made for lunch in the restaurant was not acted on - so when I turned up with my guests they had to move two tables together to prepare the table, problems with my TV required 2 reminders to front desk staff to get any action. Not big things but indicative of a lack of attention and care on the part of some staff. On the other hand, the maintenance man who did come to fix the TV was great, and I also can't speak highly enough of Theo, the concierge, who was very responsive and booked some great restaurants for me. So overall , a really good hotel but being let down in a few areas.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
grant_powell, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are currently undergoing some team changes in the hotel to ensure that these issues are rectified. I was disappointed to read some of your comments and can assure you they are being dealt with.

It was great to hear that certain team members exceeded your expectations and they will be congratulated for their efforts. I am also glad that you found our restaurant to be excellent and our hotel very well equipped being so close to many attractions.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future, please contact me in advance so that I may take care of your reservation.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2011

Have stayed here twice now and I really love the decor, room layout, room size, bathrooms etc but most of all I like that they make life easy for you with free Wifi, Nespresso Machine, Water etc.

However, there is one reason to why I am not giving the hotel a 100% score, and it has been mentioned in other reviews as well: some staff members aren’t as good as the rest of the hotel. Check in on my second stay took ages even though it was no queue and in general throughout my stay I felt that some staff members at reception had a sleazy attitude when having to deal with them while doormen, waiters and room service are much more keen on delivering service.

On reviews, the GM always replies the same way on this subject which is “we have implemented a full staff service training programme to address these shortcomings” but I think she needs to trash that non working programme and work on a new one for reception only or spend less on décor and pay more salary so you get better and more experienced people.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We are currently undergoing some team changes within the hotel to rectify these service shortcomings. As I am the General Manager, I am confident that these changes will improve service and will ensure all our clients have an enjoyable stay.

I would like to speak to you personally about your experience, if you could please contact me at the hotel that would be greatly appreciated.

sheffield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2011

I last stayed at the Arch a few weeks after it opened. This time, I stayed for a couple of nights in a deluxe room, and then one night in a standard room the week after.

A lot going for this hotel - it has its own character with artwork in the public spaces, but I still feel its design standards are not always followed through with successful function.

Staff were efficient and courteous. Everything was clean. Free wifi and free soft drinks (two of my normal issues with other hotels!) The room keys are new style key cards - they even work if you accidentally store them with your mobile phone!

The rooms are very well appointed - although I suspect some variance between rooms. However, for this hotel's prices - I suspect I have very high expectations, which, I'm disappointed to say, were (on a small number of points) not met.

Tea and coffee making facilities in the room (another tick) but no milk (room service brings it promptly on request).

The rooms also have a high-tech "do not disturb" display. My advice -don't touch them. They change from "do not disturb" to "clean my room" on their own. Fault reported, but nothing done to address.

The deluxe room's bathroom was very hot - and both rooms' hot water supply was faulty - both have pressure issues with pipes knocking, and the hot water supply oscillated in the shower.

The standard room also suffered with noise from air conditioning units outside its single glazed window, and you could hear anyone walking in the long corridor outside the room.

The kettle lid had been broken, and someone had tried a repair - which failed when I tried to pour boiling water from it - surely not best practice.

The internet radio is a nice idea, but 3 out of 4 attempts it failed to connect to the central server, and failed to stream BBC radio stations.

A fire alarm at 10pm didn't help a good night's sleep either!

The major points raised on check out, and I was promised that the General Manager would be in touch - but nothing received at the end of the same working day. Surely it wouldn't have been too much trouble just to let me know the comments had been received?

SO - I really want to like this Hotel - its something trying to be stylish in an industry that is often catering to a bland marketplace, but for the price, you can do a lot better in London.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms face the street, odd numbered rooms face the mews at the back.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank keitharrowsmith
Dear Guest

I was disappointed to read your feedback and accept that we did not meet or even exceed your expectations on this occasion. Whilst some of your comments are very positive, some areas we have not achieved a standard that I expect from my team to be delivering. I have shared this email with my managers and used this as an example so we can learn and ensure we provide a better experience in the future.

I would like to say thank you for speaking with me directly, this contact was important and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.