“new london home”
Review of The Arch London

The Arch London
Ranked #20 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Recently defected from a different boutique hotel in w1, this hotel deliveres everything that you would want for a boutique property including friendly service.

I was asked to criticise it earlier today and couldn't.

Give it a go.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
grant_powell, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2012

Dear Guest

We are pleased to know that we are now your new London hotel.

Grant Powell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,807)

Reviewed 1 October 2012 via mobile

Hidden in the quiet streets of Marble Arch this place is a gem!! I stayed at the Arch hotel for four nights in June. Check in was so smooth and speedy considering there was a lot of us in London for a music tour so we had booked about 12 rooms. They helped us with our luggage, told gave us a map around the area, and even showed us where the gym was.This place is so different and smaller to most London 5star hotels but its gorgeous. . When I walked into my room it was decorated up to a high standard, equipped with free Sky movies & sports Channels which was great as being the only English person among my American bandmates meant that I could watch the Euro's in my room without interruption. The bathroom was sparkling clean. . The location is brilliant you can walk to Bondstreet & Mayfair. If you want a break from the normal 5star stay in London, but a bit more smaller, cosier and intimate this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012

Dear Guest

We are pleased to read your comments, thank you and I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 28 September 2012

The Arch London flaunts beautiful facilities, excellent food, but their service was often quite poor.

Upon arrival the complimentary cocktails, as booked, were not presented to us. The cocktails had to be requested, causing some confusion, later that evening.

The room was fantastic, and will certainly merit our return alone. The next morning we headed down for breakfast. We ordered a couple of items from the A La Carte, but the continental breakfast was charged, when this was included as part of the booking. Thankfully, this charge was refunded at checkout, but they did not appear to understand our reasoning.

The second night seemed to deteriorate, though, where a number of enquiries were forgotten. (1) We spoke to the concierge about theatre tickets for a few shows, to see if any were available. The box office had closed, but he said he would let us know in the morning. However, we did not hear back. (2) We asked whether an article of clothing had been taken accidentally (possibly in the bed sheets) by house keeping. Since house keeping was closed, they said they would check, or speak to the relevant staff if they couldn't find anything. Again, we never heard back. (3) And that morning we requested a bottle of mineral water, which never arrived.

This, of course, happens occasionally, where one forgotten enquiry is understandable. Such consistent unreliability, however, proved quite frustrating, and unsatisfactory.

Such an experience may be rare at this fabulous venue, and there were enough positive qualities to merit a return and recommendation to others. Service is arguably the most important aspect at a hotel, though, and left us a little frustrated. Although perhaps it was just the wrong time to visit.

Room Tip: Definitely pleasant to have had a peaceful, tucked-away executive room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yanneves

Dear Guest

We were inconsistent on your stay but have improved I can assure you. I take these comments seriously with my team and ensure they improve each and every time.

I apologise we were not exceptional on this occasion.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

...but let down by many minor issues. The rooms are gorgeous, the service is outsanding, and the location is wonderful. But our stay was marred by a number of niggles that I don't feel were properly addressed by the management. I even left a list of our problems with the check-out staff on departure but as yet haven't been contacted by anyone from the hotel to follow-up.

I should point out that we were very generously upgraded from a standard room to a lovely spacious suite that included an outdoor terrace. Staff were always friendly, except for one particularly moody employee at breakfast one morning (the vegetarian breakfast, by the way, was disappointing in terms of both quality of ingredients and cooking; the eggs florentine were better).

We were staying with our 7-month-old who goes to sleep at around 7pm and so the do-not-disturb/housekeeping panel on the wall should have been ideal for us. However it kept malfunctioning despite two attempts at fixing it and thus we kept getting disturbed by the doorbell. Both phones in our room were faulty. Housekeeping neglected to replace a couple of towels on one occasion, and the room service breakfast ordering card on two occasions (even after I'd pointed this out after the first time). There's no iron and ironing board provided in the room, and when we requested one it took over half an hour to be brought to us, and then was taken away by housekeeping the next day.

The worst fault of the lot was finding over £100 of erroneous charges on our bill at checkout (at 6.00 am with a flight to catch). There were £10 of phone calls the maintenance chap had made when trying to fix our phone, a room service charge we hadn't used and erroneous breakfast charges when our rate already included full breakfasts. This took about 15 minutes to sort out and there was no real apology made either at the time or by follow-up.

These are largely small faults in what is an otherwise outstanding hotel that does a lot of things right and has a lot going for it. It's just a shame the details let them down on this occasion. And I do feel that an aspiring 5* hotel such as this ought to have followed up with me on the issues I raised - at least a phone call to apologise for the ridiculous erros on my bill.

I don't want to be unfair on them, however, and I would probably stay here again in the hope that I was just unlucky the first time around. But you could equally make the argument that consistency is a basic requirement of an aspiring 5* property.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank teefaf
Reviewed 23 September 2012

I stayed at the Arch a couple of weeks ago, in town for a family function as well as seeing friends and doing some shopping. The Arch is situated in such a perfect location for shopping and getting around town. The hotel is just a few blocks from Oxford street and the Marble Arch tube station, so convenient to everything.
I arrived before the "official" check in time but the staff was so accommodating, they were able to get a room cleaned for me while I went out for coffee. Everyone, from the bell hop to the manager was so incredibly helpful in every way possible.
The hotel itself is beautiful, modern and clean. I don't think the photos online do it justice. My room was spacious, the bathroom too! There was even a US electrical outlet by the desk as well as a converter plug, what a bonus! The Nespresso machine in the room was like home from home, so wonderful to wake up and have coffee instantly.
I ate at the restaurant once and had room service a couple of times. The food was delicious!
I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the mews side are very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo

Dear Guest

It was a joy to read and share your comments with my team.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

I stayed at the Arch in December 2011 on the recommendation of my good friend and luxury hotel guru Philippe Kjellgren. I was not disappointed. They have gone to great lengths to remove all the annoyances of too-many hotels these days. First and foremost - no penurious inane firewall garbage for WiFi - i.e. all devices work for not additional charge. I don't know about you, but my second biggest pet peeve is having either to call room service or get dressed and head to the lobby or out to find the morning java. No worries at the Arch - they've got you covered with the in-room Nespresso machine - V nice!! The small restaurant and bar are excellent and the room service breakfast menu includes some healthy choices. Close to Hyde Park, close to Marble Arch (hence the name), close to Selfridges. Would stay there again without hesitation.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank cshackle72
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I first stayed at The Arch a few months after it opened a few years back. At that time, The Arch really got it right by providing all the small details and comforts that make the biggest impact such as free wi-fi, free sodas from the mini-bar, Nespresso coffee machines in the room and Sky TV. I'm thrilled to have stayted again at The Arch and say that the level of service and professionalism remains at the its utmost. I would recommend this hotel over and over again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roundtheworld131

Dear Guest

A favourite client of the hotel, thank you for such an honest review.