“Words cannot say”

Ranked #21 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Reading, United Kingdom
“Words cannot say”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Mere words cannot paint the picture that is The Arch Hotel. Excellence in every thing we experienced. Check-In - fast, professional, friendly and warm, the room - I want to live there forever. Breakfast - filling, plentiful and with variety. The people - all professional and nothing too much trouble. And the cocktails ........
The stay here surpassed all expectation!
We stayed in room 003 - bathroom to die for, bed - one of the best night sleeps ever, TV's galore! Storage space, outside area - this was a haven in London and we will return.

Room Tip: Become a member of the Small Luxury Hotels of the World and see if you can upgrade
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
grant_powell, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 9 November 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for saying that we were excellent in everything that you experienced. This is wonderful to read as the team strive hard to go above and beyond for our clients.
Looking forward to seeing you upon your return.

Grant Powell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 5 November 2012

Arrived in The Arch on 1st, when we arrived at 7 pm we were told that our room was not ready, despite i believe the normal check in time is at 3pm.

Room was nicely decorated, bath room was nice as well, with TV mounted on the wall. however i found the room was a little bit too small, i like those small settings and touches in the room. Breakfast was nice for London standard, i guess this is the best setting and variety of breakfast produce so far that i had in this trip ( i still stay in other hotel in london when i wrote this review)

Tried the dinner as well, taste was ok.. nothing extra ordinary. Loves their Chocolate martini - highly recommended.. i guess they have quite good bartender..

Check out was efficient despite small hassle on check in.. but i guess i will definetly back when i am in london

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Thank you for commenting about us being a good SLH hotel. In fact, we were voted best UK Club Hotel for 2012 by Small Luxury Hotel of the World clients such as you.
I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I travel extensively and therefore find myself staying in many different hotels around the world. One thing I have observed is that so many hotels have a certain “sameness” about them. Of course, many international chains strive for that “sameness” to attempt a certain level of consistency in quality and service. I stay strive, as this objective for consistency in quality and service is rarely achieved. Given the opportunity to offer something different or unique, even many of the independent hotels (which I prefer) are also becoming very bland and similar in the offering they make available to guests. I am delighted to say that I have found an exception to this all too frequent observation; The Arch, London.

I stayed two nights in this hotel and the experience was truely unique. From arrival at the front door, to check-out on the last morning, I was made to feel like I was staying at a very good friend’s (albeit large and luxury) house. The level of service was truly exceptional and the attention to detail, unique.

The deluxe room I stayed in was absolutely wonderful - beautifully stylish, extremely comfortable and equipped to the highest of standards. Whether it be the blue china tea pot, Nespresso coffee maker or even the TV in the bath, every detail in the room had been carefully considered and perfectly presented. Soft drinks in the mini bar were offered free of charge as was the full Sky TV package and high speed wifi; certainly a first for me. The bed was so incredibly comfortable I didnt want to leave it for work!

I decided to eat in the hotel on my last night (I rarely eat in hotels when staying in London), but this experience also went way beyond my expectations. The bar served some really unqiue cocktails mixes with small finger snacks - again, every detail was carefully considered. The menu was varied and extremely reasonable in price and the food was of a really high standard. I had pheasant that was cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. I will definitely eat here again.

I could write much more about my experiences, but don't want to write a dissertation, nor spoil the surprise for other guests! In someways, I would like to keep this hotel as my own secret...but hey, I guess it is too late now.

In my short stay I got to meet many of the staff that worked at the hotel and each and everyone contributed to the wonderful experience. If any other hotel wants to know how a hotel should be run, spend one night here...

I will be back soon.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest

Your very detailed feedback from such a discerning and experienced traveller is extremely gratifying. Our team were extremely overjoyed to read your post and this takes pride of place on our staff wall.

Thank you and I do hope I have the chance to meet you in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel for 1 night on route to Europe. It is an outstanding hotel. The rooms are large (by London hotel standards), staff helpful and pleasant and the food (especially breakfast) is magnificent. Overall, highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2012
grant_powell, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 9 December 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for the comments, what more could we ask for. Wishing you a very warm thank you for such an honest feedback of your stay.

Markham, ON Canada
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed here on recommendation from a great travel company and we were not disappointed. From the moment we walked through the doors, we were given the best service and hospitality. Theo, the concierge was a great help and answered all our questions as well as helped us book tickets over the phone.
The restaurant food and quality was great. We had continental breakfast included in our room and the selection was very good. For an additional few pounds we were able to also order off of the breakfast menu and have the buffet. We also had dinner in the restaurant one evening and the food was great.
Our king bed was super comfy and the duvet was soft and warm. The shower even had a tv inside. The Bathroom was a good size and we didn't feel cramped in the room at all.
The hotel was a few minutes walk to The Marble Arch and tons of shopping and restaurants. Sulfridges was very close by also.
I would definitely stay there again the next time I'm back in London.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

It is our staff that do make the make the difference and Theo has been rewarded for going above and beyond whilst you stayed. Thank you for taking the time to mention him and for your generous comments about your stay.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Ideally, this review would be a 3.5. The hotel is modern and our room on the 5th floor was great, especially because we could open the windows. Soft drinks from the mini bar are complimentary and the Nespresso machine is a nice touch. Bathroom was large, unfortunately it had a tub shower instead of a walk-in, but it was manageable. What was a bit disappointing is that the room was not ready at 4pm, although check-in is supposed to be available after 2 or 3pm. It means that someone had a late check-out which we were denied when we asked for it. We had prepaid the visit or, rather thought we had and when we checked in, the front desk confirmed that we had prepaid. When we checked out, the pre-pay was confirmed again. Later that night, they sent an email saying we had modified the booking (we which we had not done) and that the room had therefore not been prepaid. We then had to contact the Small Luxury Hotels group and spent half a day sorting everything out with them. We had asked that the hotel send us a confirmation that all had been settled, but that email never came. Also at check-out, we were not asked whether we had enjoyed the stay and no review forms were available, so they have to find out about our impressions here in a public forum. As we had to rush out of the room since they would not give us a late check-out (in spite of being SLH members), and left the luggage with the relevant people who handed us the stubs for later reclaim. We then went out and returned to the hotel where our limo was waiting for us, but the luggage people brought out only 2 out of 4 bags. This created some tension because we were told that we didn't have the proper stubs for the other 2 bags which contained our travel documents and laptops. Since blame was assigned to us instead of the person who had not provided enough stubs, the departure was not a happy one. Once again, the problem was the service and we are now getting a bit cautious with SLH member hotels as we had experienced a true disaster at the snobby Villa Castagnola in Lugano in August.

Room Tip: Our executive room was good and had three decent-sized windows (including one in the bathroom).
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank LiandYu
Dear Guest

On this occasion we did not meet with the high standards that I expect of my team. We have discussed your feedback and I do believe that my team have leant from it. I am grateful for your post as we are always striving to improve.

bjarred
Reviewed 31 October 2012

Spent four nights and was a pleasant stay. staff and hotel were top flight What was important was the quiet room even though it was on the street side of the building.Rooms were fresh and clean. Did not try the food for dinner but the breakfast was very good and worth the cost

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest

What a joy to read and thank you for commenting about your experience.