“Sophisticated, stylish, and welcoming refuge in the center of London.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Arch London

The Arch London
Ranked #19 of 1,086 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Sophisticated, stylish, and welcoming refuge in the center of London.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Upon arrival I felt immediately welcome and at home. Leaving the bustle of London behind and entering its stylish and comfortable lobby was a soothing and rejuvenating experience. Behind a traditional facade, the inside blended a classic feel with up to date technology. Despite its central location the immediate surroundings were quiet and tranquil. Great location with excellent transport.

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael V, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Dear Tom909,

Thank you for the lovely feedback - we all love the title of your review!

Your support of The Arch is noted and appreciated and I hope you will come and stay with us soon again.

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Like many other big cities, London hotels are known to be expensive. The real problem, however, is that the price is not directly proportional to the hotel's quality. I have stayed in relatively expensive London hotels before that were below par and I have vowed to never make a similar mistake ever again.

The Arch is quite pricey - almost $3000HKD for a night's stay (if you book early). It is on Great Cumberland Place, slightly off Marble Arch and Oxford Street (around 3-5 minute walk from Marcle Arch tube station), which is fantastic, as you are only minutes away from all the shopping but silence is guaranteed. However, one point to bear in mind is that Marble Arch station is only served by the Central line, and its next station Bond Street (which has Jubilee Line connection) will be closed for upgrade from mid April to June 2014. So if you want a hotel that is near and within walking distance from the West End, you may need to consider somewhere else.

Basic standard rooms are not big but good enough; the bathroom is exquisite though. Large space, excellent amenities and a television in the shower.
Free minibar (bottled water, juice and milk) is a plus. A little comment on the wifi - it is slow. And reception can be almost to none in certain parts of the room (e.g. on my side of the bed).

On arrival we were greeted by wonderful and curteous frontdoor staff and bellboys; reception and concierge staff can use a bit more warmth though. Otherwise service was prompt. On our last morning we called frontdesk to ask for assistance with luggage and the bellboy came a bit late. A frontdoor staff came to us personally to apologise for the slight delay, which was a very thoughtful gesture. They were also very helpful in helping us locate our prebooked taxi to the airport.

Combining both price and value, The Arch did not let me down. One personal note to travellers - reviews are important. Don't just look at the overall rating but you really need to go into the details to know more about your hotel and destination. I must admit I am a bit obsessive-compulsive in this regard, but such trait has indeed led to well-made decisions for my vacations.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear cowardjai,

Thank you for the nice feedback and sharing the positive details of your stay here on tripadvisor. It was good to read that you enjoyed The Arch, the service we provided and our central London W1 location.

Regarding your rate, which at the time of your stay was about £230.00 per night, we always try to be competitive when it comes to value for money and I am pleased you felt we delivered on your expectations.

Further to your comment about Marble Arch tube station and the connection to the Jubilee Line, please be aware that during the summer, the central line still stops at Marble Arch, nothing changed here, the Jubilee line will stop at Baker Street instead of Bond Street. From there we are a short walk (7-10 minutes) away. Its a lovely walk actually passing by the Swedish and Swiss Embassy going through one of the most picturesque London garden squares. When you come and visit us again you should try it, its lovely.

Otherwise, I would be delighted to welcome you back and hope I can be of assistance next time you are staying with us.

With warmest personal regards,

Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I booked The Arch for a quick, one-week trip to London, both to get away for a bit and to celebrate the milestone birthday of a longtime friend. I have stayed in London many times and in many hotels and most often I stayed in Mayfair, so I was also looking forward to exploring the new area.

I wanted the birthday part of the trip to be special and I wanted to have a bouquet of flowers already in the room when we arrived. After some frustration, because I couldn't find a florist who would deliver on Sunday, I enlisted the help of Arch staff and they were great. They asked all the right questions and arranged for the most beautiful bouquet. They also added their birthday plate, with two macarons, and a lovely note wishing my friend a happy birthday.

I mention this not because other hotels wouldn't do this, but because the staff members at this hotel do things in a very special way. They are extremely warm and welcoming, in a way that is not in the least phony or obsequious. Nor do they intrude. They are just genuinely nice and they wish to make your stay as nice as possible. That speaks of good management and good hiring practices and that is extremely important.

The hotel itself is very charming. The room was small (not the smallest I've had, but small), but very well appointed and they've made good use of the space. There is ample closet and drawer space and the bathroom is actually oversized for the room, which is nice. I really appreciated the Nespresso machine and the complimentary non-alcoholic drinks. They are a nice touch, as is the free Wifi. The beds are very comfortable and the rooms are kept in good order and are very clean.

The hotel's food is also very good. The breakfast buffet offers everything one could want and all is fresh and tasty. For lunch or a light dinner, I would recommend the hamburger or pizza. Both were very good.

The hotel is in a perfect location, as well -- close to restaurants, shopping, and transport but tucked away enough so that it isn't too noisy.

If I have any criticism of The Arch, it would be their limited number of twin-bedded rooms, but that is something that my friends and I have found in many hotels in many countries.

All in all, it was a wonderful stay, from beginning to end.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael V, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear SusanA,

Thank you so much for the lovely feedback, it really summed up so well what we are trying to achieve here at The Arch and it was so nice of you to write such a positive and detailed feedback report on the hotel.

The team and I are delighted your birthday celebration was a success and I genuinely hope you will return to us whenever your travel brings you to London next.

Please let me know personally if I can be of assistance in the future.

london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

stayed at the Arch on saturday night before an event at the hilton park lane. Beautiful, clean hotel with modern facilities and huge comfortable beds. couldnt fault it to be honest. Room wasnt ready when i arrived so I waited in the bar and my bags were taken to my room ready for when it became available. originally got put in a room in the basement which was a lovely size with tv in the bathroom but a bit noisy for me, so they moved me straight away, someone came to collect my bags and I was moved to the first floor. Lovely rainfall shower and huge fluffy towels, bathrobes, slippers, sky tv and a decent hairdryer are all aspects which make this a really great find. all for a hugely reasonable price in central london! I hope to go back some day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear stecky01,

Thank you for the very nice comment regarding your recent stay. The team and I are delighted you liked The Arch, the location and facilities.

I am sorry you had to move your room during your visit but also I am convinced the team here made a careful note of your preference with regards to room allocation (not on ground floor) and next time you are staying with us you have the perfect room straight away.

Please do let me know personally whenever you are planning to return to The Arch, I would be delighted to assist you with your reservation.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I was in London on business for a week and The Arch provided the perfect combination between business and pleasure through its location, service, dining and other amenities. The location is quiet yet a 2 minute walk to Oxford st, Marble Arch tube and Hyde Park. The service in the restaurant and at front desk was excellent, being able to provide for business requests and general city knowledge.

I ate several meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) at the restaurant during my 7 night stay and cannot fault the service or the food on any of these occasions, it was simply fantastic. I also used the fitness centre facilities which seemed brand new, the gym was refreshingly sleek for a hotel gym. I will definitely stay here for all future trips to London

Room Tip: My ground floor room had beautiful large windows that opened to the street view, not noisy at all.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael V, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Dear AmandaSyrwatka,

Thank you for the feedback after your 7 night stay with us. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the hotel, your room and service and food in our restaurant.

Please come back soon and let me know personally if I can be of assistance in the future.

Geneva, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed for two nights in The Arch with my three young children to be close to a family event near Marble Arch. We also hosted a dinner for a large group on the Saturday evening in the hotel bar and then restaurant. I am a Londoner by birth but live abroad now, so I don't have a lot of experience staying in London hotels. However I can't really think of anything negative to say about The Arch. The location is ideal, close to Hyde Park and very central but somehow managing to feel secluded and calm. The rooms were well appointed and in great condition. My boys particularly enjoyed watching TV in the bath. The breakfast and dinner were excellent, and the gym is good too. But the stand-out feature for me was the warmth and friendliness of the staff. The pre-visit attentiveness by Michele in helping me to organise the dinner was exceptional and unusual for such a high-end hotel. My guests on Saturday were moved to ask me if I was a regular visitor there, such was the easy and attentive manner with which all the staff treated us. The Arch is not cheap, but for us it was worth the money and we will stay there again. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Dear SolidAg,

Thank you for the feedback, the team and I are glad you enjoyed your visit to London and that the team here managed to help you making all the arrangements.

Thank you also for mentioning Michele, she is a star amongst the team and I am so glad you felt the service Michele provided was of help to you and the family. Michele is absolutely thrilled about your comments!

With warmest personal regards,

singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

My husband and I loved our stay at The Arch. Located in a quiet lane yet only 2 min walking distance from marble arch station and 5 min from Selfridges, it was the perfect location. Besides the usual free nespresso coffee and tea in the room, there were free drinks ie milk, soft drinks in the fridge. The bed and pillows were so comfy and I loved the black out curtains as I am particularly averse to light when I sleep. TV in the shower was a huge bonus. Service was also wonderful. Will definitely return again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank karinasingapore
Dear karinasingapore,

Thank you for the lovely feedback and support. I am delighted you and your family enjoyed The Arch, the location and service during your recent visit.

Please come back soon.