“First Class”

Ranked #20 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“First Class”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We were fortunate enough to stay in this hotel for two nights. Wish it had been longer. From the moment we pulled up the staff at this hotel when above and beyond service. This hotel is in a perfect location for transport, shops, restaurants, bars. The hotel is beautiful, the room a very good size and decorated beautifully. The room was exceptionally clean, beautiful linen, very quiet and our room was facing the street, not a sound. Turn down service of an evening, just wonderful. Espresso machine which was a blessing. They have thought of everything at this hotel. The small touches to everything was first class.

The reception staff, all of them, were just so professional and friendly. Very knowledgeable of the area. Our hire car was ready on departure and check out so quick. I cannot rate this hotel enough, we cannot wait to go back and visit. Well done.

Room Tip: We had a room on the front of the hotel, so quiet. I would say all rooms are equal. You cannot go wr...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank theresa t
Michael V, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear teresat,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, we all are thrilled you enjoyed your stay at The Arch especially reading how much you enjoyed the people here and the service at the hotel.

Please come and visit us soon again.

With warmest personal regards,

Michael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Not only are the hotel staff efficient, professional and friendly, but they go that extra mile to ensure your comfort. It is not so big, so you cannot get 'lost' in the crowd. The rooms are excellent, with that added extra touch that always pleases. Extremely comfortable beds, modern décor, and very restful, with excellent bathroom facilities. Wonderful restaurant and also a very good location. Quiet too!
I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Michael V, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Penhill Manor T,

Thank you for the lovely review, your support is noted and much appreciated and I am hoping to meet you personally on your next visit to The Arch London.

Thank you for staying with us.

Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Excellent Hotel, very nice room size and bathroom amenities. Other hotel facilities good, staff friendly and helpful. Just a little out the way from West End and no airconditioning. It was pretty hot this summer. Would def go back however.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Michael V, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Dear Craig W,

Thank you for the nice review.

The Air-conditioning is back on track and I apologise for the little glitch we had on Monday - its lovely and cool everywhere now!

Please come back soonest.

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

The Arch was the perfect hotel for us. My husband had to work and it was my first time in London. I loved the location.. It is a little hidden - so not in the middle of all the noise. Very close to the Tube, bus tours and Selfridges. The staff was wonderful and helped me every morning with a map and where to go. Breakfast was included and was presented beautifully in the restaurant. I would definitely recommend and would go back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank atltravelgirl35
Michael V, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Dear attravelgirl35,

Wow what a nice review. - really thrilled you enjoyed the service and location of The Arch.

Thank you for your support and please let me know personally whenever you are planning to return.

High Wycombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2014

When you are staying in a 5* hotel in London you have certain expectations and it is silly to repeat what those expectations are, but it is safe to say all of them were met.

What I did not expect from a hotel that is a few metres away from Marble Arch (one of London's busiest road junctions if you don't know) is how quiet the room was. Also we stayed here on one of the hottest nights of the year and the room was blissfully cool with a near silent air conditioner keeping the room a small oasis.

The staff were excellent. Friendly and welcoming. The room was immaculately clean. The facilities were beyond what we would hope for. The bar comfortable and relaxed.

I am not going to gripe about the cost as what can you expect for a single Friday night that close to the centre of London? We would certainly choose to come again as the Marylebone area is a great location and has a unique village feel about it a mere stone's throw from the crowds of Oxford Street etc.

Room Tip: We had room that faced away from the road (109). This did not give a view of any note but was lovely...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Tagfcuk
Dear Tagfcuk,

Thank you for the positive feedback regarding your stay. The team and I are delighted you enjoyed your time with us.

I was pleased to hear the service aspect of the hotel matched and exceeded your expectations and that you liked the location of the Arch. Being so close to Marble Arch and Hyde Park is a big advantage and a lot of guests comment on the central location of the Hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and please come back again.

Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at quite a lot of hotels across the world, and understand that in some cities standard hotel rooms are smaller and less luxurious and in some they are opulent. London hotels on the contrary have smaller standard rooms than most places. The Arch however is super refreshing, they put attention into every single detail, from the phone handset, the bed, the water and juices and all the way to the bath and decor. I've stayed at bigger, more better known hotels in London, and The Arch does it better everywhere, even with customer service. The only qualm I would have is their reluctance to extend the checkout without charging a fee which is a bit uninviting but nevertheless the stay was fantastic and I love the hotel. Super refreshing! :)

• Stayed July 2014
Dear SaadE,

Thank you for the great feedback, we all love the title of your review!

Please do let me know personally whenever you are planning to return to The arch, I would be delighted to assist you in any way I can.

With warmest regards and thank you for your support,

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 July 2014

This was my third time staying at The Arch hotel over as many years, which in itself conveys that I am generally a fan of this hotel. However, I must say the service levels have declined somewhat since my last visit about 18 months ago. My partner and I stayed for 9 days in July 2014 on a combination business/holiday trip. First the positives. The hotel condition has been maintained at a high standard. It's difficult to find any fault with the cleanliness, the decor, or the furnishings. We had a deluxe room, which while a bit on the small side for 9 nights, was very well appointed and well looked after by the staff. In particular, we enjoyed some of the smaller unique touches not always found in similar hotels including the television in the shower/bath combination, the fogless mirror in the bathroom, the window that opened to allow the fresh air into the room, and the full selection of Sky television channels available. The room also had a working refrigerator (truly a minibar which we emptied and used for our own beverages without charge), excellent water pressure in the shower (not always a given in London!), very effective climate control and a comfortable bed. The first night I found the pillows too firm, but one request to reception and all was corrected the next morning. My main criticisms are unfortunately directed toward the service, which was not my experience during past stays. The front desk and door staff were, in my view, a bit inconsistent. Some were excellent---which is what I had come to expect---and others were distant, difficult to communicate with or at times seemed completely uninterested in providing guests with a welcoming experience. I would chalk it up to timing (few of us can be cheerful and helpful every moment of every day), if I had not felt the same way repeatedly for the length of my stay. Another inconsistency was with the breakfast service. While the breakfast room and continental buffet was consistently pristine and the service was extremely professional at 6:45 am, it seemed completely chaotic by 9:45 am. Tables were not set. Several items were out of stock on the buffet. Every item (butter, a spoon, glasses, cream for the coffee) seemed to require another pointed request to the servers, who seemed to be running around a bit disorganized and overwhelmed. Again, I would have probably chalked this experience up to timing as well if I had not seen it several days in a row. My primary disappointment, however, was again staff related when I was continually denied the benefits of my Small Luxury Hotels of the World (SLH) membership. While The Arch is a member of this group, they are clearly not enthusiastic about affording members the benefits of the programme. I was denied a room upgrade at check-in unless I was willing to pay for it and was also charged a late check-out fee incorrectly because the front desk staff did not bother to look up my membership information and see that late check-out should have been complementary. (To their credit, the manager did waive the fee, but my disappointment lies in the fact that it was necessary for me to complain to have my benefits recognized.) Once home and organising the receipts from my business trip, I noticed my SLH room rate was to have come with a "complementary cocktail and a stylish welcome gift," neither of which were provided. I suggest anyone expecting special treatment through the SLH programme pay close attention to the benefits associated with your stay and bring them to the hotel's attention or you may not receive them. Overall, The Arch remains a very good hotel in my view, but I suggest more focus be put on service levels and improving the customer experience in order to bring it to the next level.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Michael V, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear 2SunSeekers2014,

Thank you for having taken the time to compose your detailed feedback. With fears competition in London, the team and I appreciate the two of you returning to stay with us and I wanted to let you know that your support is noted and appreciated.

I am pleased that many aspects of your visit went well however can also see that you experienced a few inconsistencies on the way for which I am genuinely sorry.

"Small Luxury Hotel Honoured Member" bookings are hugely important to us and I can promise you that we can make your next visit memorable and perfect for all the right reasons.

You will probably have noticed that I have e-mailed you today and would appreciate to get an opportunity to talk to you personally.

With warmest regards and thank you again for staying with us,