“The most stylish,thoughtful hotel I have ever stayed in” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Arch London

The Arch London
Ranked #19 of 1,086 Hotels in London
sydney
“The most stylish,thoughtful hotel I have ever stayed in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2010

This hotel is so good it's hard to know where to start.It's as though the people behind it are real travellers themselves and have pulled out every stop to make guests happy.Every aspect of the design is super-stylish, clearly expensive , but the designer has superb taste and the furniture,artwork, color schemes ,none of which is repetitious is a delight to the eye.In the bedroom itself,the mattress is indecently luxurious and comfortable.I loved the thoughtfulness of bedside lights plus specific reading lights which could be aimed exactly at my book.I always switch on the TV as soon as I get into my room.I could write a very long list of the hotels I've stayed in recently where I've had to ring reception to ask how to see plain ordinary TV rather than all the services and extras they are trying to sell (e.g.InterContinental, Los Angeles).The Arch has a Sky set top box with full electronic TV guide and I'd say in excess of 200 channels.
EVERY sports channel, every movie channel, every entertainment and news channel.The box is virtually the same as the Foxtel in Australia so very easy to use. Not for my use, but for travellers from Asia, Europe, the Mid-East etc they had additionally a list of 25 foreign language channels they had provided.WiFi is free,everywhere, again none of the bull where it's free in the lobby but not in your room.Connects straight away and does not need reconnecting everytime. Tea and Coffee making facilities..there and again not ordinary stuff. A Krups Nespresso machine which made a proper espresso. Tea bags weren't the chaff you normally get but muslin bags with real black or herbal tea.I hate having to order a cup of tea from room service. It's not the money, it's the privacy I want in my bedroom.
A mini-bar with free softdrinks including some classy juices.
Instead of those awful folding stands for my case there was a padded wide bench stool which could be used as an extra seat if not for luggage.The work desk had so many desk height power points, including American ones, plus an all type adaptor...already plugged in..again they've done the thinking for the tired traveller.
My room had a shower in the bath, with a beautiful large overhead rose, plus an easy to use flexible head. My wife had to have a bath so she could relax and watch TV in the built-in screen.2 extremely thick bath robes,huge towels as well, very good toiletries and a big cake of luxury soap (small soaps are one of my biggest hates). Even a night light in the bathroom, so necessary if you're in a strange place but lacking nearly everywhere else
We had breakfast there every day. We often will try a hotel breakfast once and not return.
The food and service offered mirrored the style and luxury everywhere else. Home made breads and jams. Hotel fresh squeezed juices sitting iced in little containers. eggs, (and kippers) cooked exactly as you ordered. Proper cappuccinos and espressos and leaf teas. Home made pastries. An excellent assortment of gourmet cheeses., all in a beautiful room. Definitely worth the 18 or 19 pounds.
I did venture once to the gym, as much to report to those friends of mine who insist on a great gym at every hotel. This one was set-up with what seemed only top-of the-line equipment, including some new machines I had not seen. The rowers were Concept 2 which I know are the best you can buy (or use)
I had an important meeting and used "The Study" a very impressive room , again featuring the diverse, luxury furniture that is everywhere.
The hotel also told me I could also use the library, fitted out like in an expensive home and very pleasing to the eye.
The staff are young, very well trained,beautifully groomed in sharp shirts and no ties, super-polite , but smiling and friendly at the same time. they all seemed very keen to please. Not surprising for a new hotel, but in London where you normally get either people who have been around too long or have just commenced a pleasant change.
I like being near Oxford St , but not with noise so I found the location fine, a five minute walk to Selfridges
After more than 150 trips around the world and perhaps 80 stays in London since 1967 I don't often bother to write reviews, but I do read them before planning a trip (e.g 1898 in Barcelona, excellent). I'm doing this because as a businessman I am full of admiration for a business that has gone so far to please it's customers and anticipate their needs.
I hope other hotels can learn from them

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 30 July 2010
Thank you so much for such a long and glowing review, high praise indeed! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with here at The Arch London, we strive hard to anticipate our guests needs and provide the facilities and extra touches that take an ordinary hotel stay to the next level. I really look forward to welcoming you back to The Arch London in the future and hope to have the opportunity to meet with you in person.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (267)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
takoma park, md
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

The Arch is a lovely, boutique hotel about 2 blocks from Marble Arch. The staff was very gracious and welcoming. The bar and restaurant are comfortable...especially for a solo traveler.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 15 July 2010
Thank you for posting a review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to The Arch in the future.
leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2010

A very conveniently situated hotel just 5 minutes walk away from Marble Arch. Great access to underground stations and Oxford Street. Everything from the welcome to check-out was perfect, the only thing is the staff need to actually smile at the guests a little more and come out from behind their computer screens which are too big (or there are too many) on one reception desk!
The rooms and amenities were excellent and I like the coffee machine in the room as well as the thoughtful addition of milk in the mini-bar.
I would definetly pick this hotel again on our next trip to London. I might even get a smile next time!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 14 July 2010
Thank you so much for posting a review, your comments are much appreciated and we do take them all on board! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to personally welcoming you back to The Arch London again soon.
california
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2010

We were relocated to this hotel by the St.James club hotel. Just lovely and well located. Nesspresso in room was a bonus. Easy walk to Hyde park.

• Stayed July 2010
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 12 July 2010
Thank you for posting a review, we hope to see you again here at The Arch London soon.
Helsinki, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

I booked the Arch for 5 days based on the good reviews on Tripadvisor, and was not disappointed.
Lots of the plusses already mentioned, but for me the best bits were:
+ Large bathroom and great shower
+ Gym open for 24 hours, there were no free weights, which was a handicap, but otherwise equipped with the latest machines (Techogym, Power Plate, Kinesis), free towels and water
+ Nespresso machine
+ Free soft drinks incl the nice touch of fresh milk in the fridge
+ Breakfast, mine was included in the room price, but I think the cold table, which would have been £12.95 was worth the price, and the bar area where the breakfast was served was very cosy and relaxing, and the service very friendly
+ Lovely bed
+ Location
A small hiccup was the fact that I did not receive my "welcome gift" which was part of the SLH package. Also, the nice bathroom products were replenished only once during my five day stay.
However, despite the last two, I think this is a fab hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank gabbiano02
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 9 July 2010
Thank you for posting a review and sharing your experiences of The Arch London, I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel facilities and service. We strive to add value to our room offering via all of the complimentary amenities, I will of course investigate your comments concerning the welcome gift and the bathroom products with my team and put corrective measures in place. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Arch London again soon.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

My partner and I stayed 4 nights at this hotel in early July.. We had a great room, with quality finishes, and a decent size bathroom with rain shower. To top it off, i've finally found a hotel in London which actually knows how to make an air conditioner work properly. This made the nights so much easier for sleeping (especially as the quilts on the beds are quite thick). The free internet, gym, and water/coke in the mini-bars are a nice touch.

The breakfasts were fantastic (and if you can try and get it included in your rate). I am surprised by other reviewers commenting on surly staff - we found the opposite... everyone was so nice and pleasant, and nothing was too much trouble.

All in all, i have nothing bad to say about this hotel. It is on the expensive side, but I'll be definately staying there again when we next travel to London. Its so hard to find a good place to stay in the city - so i'll be back.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aussieguy69
Thank you so much for your comments, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay here at The Arch London and particularly enjoyed your breakfast. We strive to make our guests feel at home in the hotel and we really look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.
Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2010

We pop into London a few times a year for a night or two and have stayed at many of the top hotels including The Sanderson, St Martins Lane but more recently we have stayed on several occasions at the Mayfair Hotel. We like the Mayfair - its in a great location, has a good room size with nice decor and generally speaking the standard of service has remained very high. Breakfast is incredible, a real treat too. The Mayfair has a wonderful bar, though to be honest this has gone down hill on the last two occasions and for this reason we thought we might try somewhere else.

Read the reviews on The Arch and booked for 26th June

Firstly, I couldn't agree more with the "Stunning Hotel let down by surly staff" review below.

We were staying at The Arch for both of our birthdays (two weeks apart).

On arrival we walked to reception. There were three women sitting behind huge Apple Mac monitors. After a few seconds there was a reluctant acknowledgment. I nearly positioned myself to the right, so that i would be directly behind the huge monitor and so we could have a conversation without looking at one another....... recommend you move the monitors to the side more or get much smaller ones

All three girls seemed to be Eastern European and neither of the two we spoke to had an exceptional command of english - just ok really. The girl in the middle (dark curly hair) made some sort of grunting noise and gestured to the girl on the left. Blond girl, quite nice, checked us in took our bag from us. After lunch, she escorted us to our room.

The bar and restaurant area was really nice, nice guy at the bar (with beard) did an amazing bourbon sour! Had a steak, which easily matched or bettered Gordon Ramseys Maze Grill, which is saying something...... Generally, i got the impression that a few of the staff were under worked and preferred to have a chat as opposed to thinking about their customers. One item off our order had not been passed on to the chef and generally the service was average at best. So fantastic 5 stars for food and drink - let down by one or two individuals which is a real shame as the rest of the staff seemed great....

We booked into an Executive Room which cost £325 ex VAT this compares to maybe £280 at The Mayfair. The room was fantastic, very high quality, wonderful decor of the highest quality. A very, very nice room though maybe 30% smaller than the Mayfair but thats no big deal.

We popped back to the restaurant later in the evening for a drink and on leaving i asked the maitre d if he could recommend a good Thai restaurant. He looked at the other member of staff and pointed to the Reception desk (10 feet away), assuming he wanted us to ask reception we walked over. Same miserable faces. I asked the girl in the middle (dark curly hair) the same question. She looked at me with disdain and simply nodded to her colleague to her left saying we'd need to ask "her"....... we didn't bother as "her" was too busy typing.

After a night out, we ordered breakfast in bed for the morning with the Sunday papers - this is our one time every few months away from the kids and just these few hours are a very special time for us. We ticked all the boxes for the English Breakfast (£18 each vs £25 at the Mayfair).

The breakfast was of a good quality, actually very nice but really doesn't compare as well to the Mayfair. Recommend someone at the Arch has a breakfast at the Mayfair and compares i.e. it includes cereals, jams, fruits juices, yogurt etc etc - a very special but rare treat......

Our stay was over, it had been really nice and a refreshing change over the larger 5 star hotels but we had to check out.

Back to reception and girl in the middle (dark curly hair) was to check us out. After a few miserable mumbles, she eventually produced a bill for over £600, when i went through it, i could see that we'd been double charged for breakfast. On explaining, there were two of us and therefore just two breakfasts she patronisingly recited the whole bill back to me......... i informed her of her mistake..... No "thank you", no "how was your stay" just a miserable "moo"

In conclusion and on reflection The Arch is potentially a very strong, real find for a weekend away or longer. It reminds me of a book i once read where there was a luxury yacht. This was an amazing yacht, had received fantastic reviews, the crew were well selected and the owner was a really nice guy. The trouble was, the owner was away a lot which meant the crew had the run of the yacht to themselves. Over time, they started to resent the owner visiting his yacht. They knew the yacht and they had received amazing reviews so why do we have to look after this guy who only visits from time to time.

The Arch is in great danger of going the same way, a really, very special space spoilt by a few who want the yacht to themselves.....

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank blueboy111
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 7 July 2010
Thank you taking the time to share your experiences of The Arch London, I am thrilled that you enjoyed the quality of your steak and bourbon sour in the restaurant and that you found your bedroom to be fantastic.

However, I am of course deeply disappointed to learn that the service on the front desk and in the restaurant let us down on this occasion and I would like to assure you that this is a matter that I take extremely seriously indeed. I am investigating your comments with all of the departments involved and will put additional training measures in place to ensure this experience is not repeated. Please accept my most sincere apologies for any disappointment felt, I would like the opportunity to discuss this matter with you further and will be contacting you directly in due course.