“Lovely Hotel & Anxious to please”
Review of The Arch London

The Arch London
Ranked #20 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely Hotel & Anxious to please”
Reviewed 19 January 2011

My colleague wrote a review whilst we have been staying at this hotel. Overall it is great but the room we were in was quite small. I was thrilled that the hotel responded to this and have moved us to a more suitable room for our 7 nigh stay. The other reviews are correct, the staff are very helpful and nice and anxious to please. Its a good boutique hotel and the bathrooms are excellent - which is amazing for a English hotel. Would come back and stay here again and in fact, I am coming back next week for another 2 days. Good location as well.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 31 January 2011
Thank you for posting this review and it really was our pleasure to be able to help with the room move. We all look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next week.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We are currently staying at the Arch hotel. Its a nice boutique hotel in London but we are here for 7 nights and I am staying in a room with my colleague and we booked the executive room as its the top room before you get into a suite but it is very very small. Too small to stay in for 7 nights. The bathrooms are very nice and the rooms are clean and new looking but if you are clostrophobic dont consider this hotel. We usually stay at Langham hotels or Westins and I have previously stayed in the Langham in London and for the same price I was in a much larger room which really made all the difference. It was the club floor so the cocktails were included and breakfast. The Arch has done a good job but I dont rate the 'executive' level room and only for that reason would choose another hotel for the rest of my business trips. Room service dinner one night was quite average although the breakfast is pretty good in the restaurant.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Erin C
Thank you for posting the review and it was my pleasure to talk to you this evening. I am delighted that we have been able to move your room to a larger one and thank you for all the positive points you mentioned. As I mentioned we are a townhouse hotel and therefore do not have an club floor but all our Public Areas are available for all guests to sit and relax. I hope that we resolved the room size to your satisfaction and will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I stayed at The Arch with my mother on a recent trip to London, just for one night. We needed to be close to Marylebone and The Arch was one of the closest and nicest. We were greeted upon arrival by a porter helping us out of our taxi (very nice touch) and shown to the front desk, which is very welcoming with big leather seats! Our bags were carried to our room and we were shown inside. What a fantastic room, very nice decor, and extremely plush! All soft drinks in the mini bar are complimentary, there was fresh milk and a nespresso machine. All very nice touches! The WIFI is free throughout the hotel and the connection speed is very good!
The beds were very comfortable, nice big duvet, and great pillows! Sky HD in the room, and a TV in the bath. The toiletries in the bathroom were beautiful as well. There was no breakfast order card in the room, but upon calling reception one was sent up within less than a minute! Great service. We ate dinner at the Hunter restaurant attached to the hotel. The food was fantastic and service excellent! Breakfast was enjoyed in the room and was delicious! We will definitely be returning to The Arch London. Thank you so much to all the staff who made it a wonderful, but sadly short, stay!

• Stayed January 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I've stayed for two nights from Dec 31st to January 2nd. Let me start by saying that the hotel looks great. The entrance, lobby, restaurant and rooms are cosy and romantic. A perfect fit for any couple. However there are few things that could be improved at the Arch.

1. VAT isn't included in the price. So please be aware of an extra charge of around 40 GBP a night. (ofcourse depending on the daily rate)

2. On the first day of our stay we visited Borough market and returned to the hotel with some cheese and croissants. I asked the receptionist for a plate, vork and knife. The girl said she thought this wasn't possible. "The only way to get a plate at your room is to order roomservice". (????????) Finally I got one. But when staying at a five star hotel, such a request should be followed up instantly.

3. The rooms of a five star hotel should be quiet and well isolated. This isn't the case at The Arch. Ofcourse it's an 19th century building but still I expect such a hotel to have quiet rooms. There is a constant sound of people walking, running water, doors slamming and elevators going up and down. These sounds are ofcourse normal to a hotel but you expect the structure of the hotel to be more solid. The walls and floors are just not thick enough to absorbe the noise. Because of the noise we made three room switches. I must say the staff was very helpful in getting me a more quiet room, unfortunately without succes.

3. Service charges for the concierge to call the Tube for service information (he offered this himself) of 75P and 2.63 GBP for bringing a plate to my room. (This should be included)

I travel a lot and often stay in business hotel chains like Sofitel. This time I booked a slightly more romantic hotel because I stayed there with my girlfriend. Next time I will book a Sofitel kind of hotel to make sure the rooms are quiet. After all sleeping is the most important aspect of a hotel stay.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ukkie79
BeccyGunn, General Manager at The Arch London, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
Thank you for posting such an honest review of your recent stay. I was naturally very disappointed to read all the points raised by you and will ensure that every point raised is discussed with the relevant members of my staff. I am equally sorry that you experienced some interruption and noise disturbance depsite us trying to resolve the situation. Like most London 5 star hotels, our rates do not include VAT and I am currently investigating the issue regarding the service charge. Should you wish to discuss this with me, my email address is beccy.gunn@thearchlondon.com. I look forward to hearing from you.
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 1 January 2011

My sister, her fiancée and I stayed at the Arch while spending a few days Christmas-shopping in London. It was a beautiful little hotel, very stylish and luxurious without feeling too overstuffed or snobby. The rooms were wonderful, free soft drinks and coffee, free wi-fi, flat screen tvs, as well as being so wonderfully and practically decorated. The restaurant was very good as well, and they had really good coffee at breakfast (this is very important to me :)).

A few minor hiccups (the minibar wasn't always restocked with everything, the complementary coffee in the room wasn't refilled, the English Breakfast was suddenly missing either mushrooms or sausage with no explanation etc) -- but if we chose to draw the hotel's attention to whatever we were missing they were extremely quick to apologize and put everything right straight away. I do not consider these little things reason to complain at all since they were fixed as soon as I asked.

The staff were exceptionally courteous and I loved that they were so obviously from all over the world! They were very helpful and never made us feel that we were asking too many questions or "bothering" them with tourist issues.

(The four stars for value is simply because for the price I paid, I would have liked to have had breakfast -which was delicious- included.)

But despite having to pay for breakfast, on my next trip to London I will definitely stay at the Arch!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank KarenBorsholm
Thank you very much for your honest review of your recent stay. We were delighted to welcome you all the hotel and I am so pleased that you found the staff to be so accommodating. I am sorry that you experienced some problems with the replenishing our your items in the room and also during breakfast and would like to apologise for this. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2010

I booked The Arch for my boyfriend's birthday to have a very relaxed evening and we had a wonderful stay. I booked directly from the website and got the best rate. I also requested a late check-out. Upon arrival on boxing day with the traffic chaos, the concierge swiftly took care of the parking and we were warmly greeted by the receptionist who informed us of a room upgrade!

The room was spacious, well designed down to the last detail with an iPod dock, Nespresso coffee machine, Large LCD TV in the main room and BATHTUB with all the great SKY channels, slippers and bathrobe (and even a night light for the bathroom). The bed was comfortable, the pillows were huge and fluffy and the duvet was nice and warm.

We left for the birthday dinner with the room in a bit of a mess and upon arrival our room was made-up (even the towels were changed) and a bottle of complimentary bottle of champagne was left by the receptionist for the birthday boy!

We had drinks at the Hunter bar and the cocktails were delicious (very strong too)!

Every minute put a smile on our face! We checked out at 3pm with no one calling or hassling us to leave. I can't believe anyone could write a negative review here. I have stayed in the Dorchester in a dated standard room for more money than my total stay including drinks at the bar, full english breakfast for two and parking at the Arch. I definitely think its great value and I will most certainly be staying here again and recommending it to everyone i know!

My only comment would be that they really need to expand their DVD library outside of the Oscar winners. Maybe the top 10 films of the year?

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DAL2816
Thank you for writing such a great review on the hotel and for trusting us with the birthday stay. It was our pleasure to have you staying with us and I am so glad the staff and facilities of the hotel exceeded your expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 December 2010

For the money it doesnt get much better than The Arch. Loved the TV in the bathroom, free minibar and free wireless internet - a nice touch that is rare in London hotels. The gym was super too, complete with powerplate and well stocked with water and towels.The only downfall is the restaurant where the service is very slow and food not up to much but I can highly recommend Rhodes, just a few minutes walk away.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your honest review. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us but naturally disappointed to hear about your experience in the restaurant. We are now in the process of retraining all areas of HUNter 486 and very much hope you will return to try the restaurant again. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back to the Arch London.