“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #274 of 557 London B&B and Inns
Mooloolaba, Australia
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed 28 November 2013

The location is fantastic, right in heart of London and the staff were very friendly and helpful. I have stayed at the Oakley a few times and I wouldn't dream of staying anywhere else when I am in London. The breakfast is fantastic and a good excuse to get up and not sleep in through the holiday. I have recommended this quaint hotel to everyone I know going to London.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I stayed with my daughter at this hotel. Upon arrival, our room was adequate. However, there was no bar soap in the bathroom (only hand washing soap), 2 ratty towels in the bathroom, and no wash cloth even provided. Just adding a few inexpensive basics would have made this a much nicer stay. Shampoo, conditioner (in travel sizes) and bar soap just aren't that expensive. Wash cloths should be a given. We did have 2 decent towels at the foot of our beds but we had to ask for more toilet paper. Just more attention to the basics would have made this worth the stay. We do thank you for reducing our room rate but this wouldn't have happened if my daughter hadn't persisted about the cable tv not working.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Kathy K
oakleyhotel, Owner at Oakley Hotel, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
This review is for the same stay as the review below. Please see my response there. I do provide the basics for a budget hotel stay. We are not a luxury hotel but provide comfortable, cheap accommodation in the most expensive area in London. I have never been provided with washcloths in a budget hotel in the UK but I do provide towels and soap, friendly staff and a good cooked breakfast (included)!
Reviewed 17 July 2013 via mobile

We were disappointed in this hotel after having found it in a French guidebook. Our room was dirty. No shampoo was provided. We didn't have Wifi access in our room. The cable for the TV in our room did not work either. The neighborhood is very charming, though (keep in mind that the hotel is about a 10-minute bus ride from the nearest Tube stop, Sloane Square). I would only stay here if you really can't afford something a little bit nicer.

• Stayed July 2013
oakleyhotel, Owner at Oakley Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed in my hotel. I take my guests’ comfort seriously and we have many guests who return again and again. I do stress the importance of cleanliness to my staff and the rooms are cleaned daily and are spring cleaned regularly. The staff would have willingly cleaned the room if they had been told you found it dirty. This room will be thoroughly spring cleaned tomorrow.

I think we are great value at £42.50 per person, including a cooked breakfast. We are the only budget hotel in the expensive upmarket Chelsea area (other hotels charge over £200 for a room for 2). As such we provide soap and towels, but not shampoo (and don't say we do). We also do not provide wi-fi in the rooms but do have free wi-fi in the guest lounge (most hotels charge for this service).
I do apologise the TV did not work well. However we did reduce your room price for your inconvenience. I do appreciate that some guests expect more from a Chelsea hotel as it is an exclusive area and this hotel is not for guests wanting a luxurious stay. However many guests appreciate my hotel for the budget rooms, friendly staff, good travel advice and being able to use the guests’ kitchen and lounge.
Melbourne
Reviewed 20 February 2013

We enjoyed out stay at Oakley Hotel, mainly because we were able to stay in such a fabulous area - without the cost of a modern boutique hotel. It is definitely more of a Budget Hotel, as it is situated in an older, non-modernised building, but we enjoyed its old worldly charm and the great (free) breakfasts! From our personal experience we found the hotel clean, and the staff could be seen each morning doing their cleaning duties. If you can handle rustic charm, then I thoroughly recommend this hotel....

Room Tip: We stayed in room 3! It is a good size and has a four poster bed!
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grajul
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We have stayed here twice in the last 6 years, why? It is clean, very centrally located near transport and does not cost the earth. An excellent breakfast is included in the price and you can use the kitchen if you clean up after yourself. The rooms are a tad shabby in places with excentric renovations to a Victorian terrace house. It is in need of a complete renovation but as it is 100 metres to the Thames and Chelsea it suited us fine.

Room Tip: We choose an ensuite room but the others are cheaper. We had a front room with double glazing which...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Whitehavengirl43
Ontario
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Early in May, my wife and I returned to the Oakley Hotel on Oakley St. for a 2 1/2 week stay, our 4th visit in 12 years. The Oakley offers unbeatable value and a great location in the heart of Chelsea. This upscale, desirable area of London has great shopping, restaurants and pubs on nearby King's Road. Chelsea is well serviced by bus lines and is close the South Kensington and Sloane Tube stops and the Victoria Rail/Tube station. Oakley, is a short street that starts at the Chelsea Embankment and ends at King's Road, and is not very busy during the day or night. The hotel is a 15 minute ride on bus #170 from the Victoria Train station or a 30 minute walk. The Oakley Hotel is a couple of hundred yards north of the Chelsea Embankment on the west side of the street. The surrounding area is mostly high-end residential and there are no other hotels in this prime area. Battersea Park is just across the river over the historic and picturesque Albert Bridge. Oakley St is lined with similar four story Victorian row houses that were build about 150 years ago.

We have stayed in several different rooms at the Oakley, all with a window facing either Oakley Street or the neighbour's gardens. With the worn, antique furnishings and decor, it feels like visiting your grandmother's house, but with all of London available to you. The compact rooms have a closet, double bed, dresser, night table and small sink. The beds are comfortable and the sheets are clean. We have always opted for the shared washrooms and showers, although some rooms have their own facilities. Included in the price of the room is a full English breakfast - with juice, tea or coffee, cereals, toast, eggs, bacon, sausages, beans and tomatoes, served by two delightful Aussie girls in the dining area in the lower level. If you can handle stairs and overlook some of the decorating issues of a very old hotel, in exchange for a great price, in a fantastic London neighbourhood, then this is the place to go, We will return again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Ronad
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Staying at the Oakley was one of the highlights of my trip to London. My Europe holiday started and finished in London and both times I stayed at Oakley. Service was excellent and the staff treated me exceptionally well and assisted with friendly advice. I felt very safe walking to and from the hotel and there were all the local pubs restaurants supermarkets etc close. Buses at the end of the street took me to the city and I often caught the tube to shows at night.
A top place to stay ... Highly recommended!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo