“Welcoming if not spectacular!”
Review of Kitchen Italia - CLOSED

Kitchen Italia
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Covent Garden
Berkshire
“Welcoming if not spectacular!”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

As with other reviewers we ate here as part of a theatre deal. We had a fair amount of trepidation and were prepared to forgoe our meal and eat elsewhere if necessary but the welcome was warm and we were seated in a cosier corner rather than on the communal benches. Our waitress was pleasant and attentive. We ate from a limited 'deal' menu but the meat platter was fine and the penne pasta dish was spicy and hot - ideal on a really cold April day ! A good bottle of Sangiovese wine at under £15 was most welcome and the side order of bread that we asked for was complimetary.

• Visited April 2013

london
“Better than expected!!”
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We booked this the day before with last minute as a pre theatre deal, then I read the reviews and began to worry!! Unfounded as it turned out for us. The restaurant was quiet only about 20 other diners at 5.30 on a bank holiday however that is a bit early for dinner unless you have no choice. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly from the greeting at the door through to the bill, as we were on the pre theatre deal there were not many choices however we both found something we fancied from the 3 starter, 3 main selection. I have to say that the food was rather uninspiring but it was well presented, plentiful and very hot and actually fitted the bill for a pre theatre meal just fine, I would be happy to go back on a similar deal again. We had no problems with the bill etc and this was only a few pounds as just for drinks and a couple of side orders. To sum up it was okay, nice staff, clean restaurant. average food but we had no disasters here and the place was relaxed, nice music and the staff were happy for people to stay as long as they wanted which was handy on a cold day with a fairly long wait for the theatre.

• Visited April 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 24 March 2013

Had this as part of a package with theatre and dinner. Have been before but this time the food was disappointing - garlic bread was cold, the rest of the food was luke warm.

Visited February 2013
Hereford, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed 19 March 2013

We booked the pre-theatre dinner on line and had fairly limited requirements: not a gourmet meal, just something hot and filling to set us up for the rest of the evening. We were disappointed with the options & no special pre-theatre menu choices. An Italian restaurant in the UK that couldn't offer lasagne because "the delivery hadn't arrived" did not bode well. We decided to add starters to our pre-paid dinner. These took some time to arrive & then one of them was not what we'd ordered. When we pointed this out, the waitress took it over to the till without a word, implying she didn't believe us, before returning it to the waiter who took the order who returned it to the chef!!! My correct starter was also taken away to be refried and redelivered & by the time they came back, we were clock watching in case we started to run late. After our starter dishes were collected, there was a considerable delay before another waitress came back to ask if we'd like to order main courses, which of course we did with our initial order. When the mains eventually arrived, we had to rush them & they were very average. When we tried to pay the extra for our starters, the processing waiter short changed us (although we noticed!). An unfortunate end to a poor experience, we would not go back.

Visited March 2013
London
“Avoid at all costs. Better starving or give your money in charity.”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

I have visited this restaurant twice and both times have found this to be a truly awful restaurant. I went back a second time as the party I was with hadn't been there.

Having booked a table in advance and having it confirmed with the manager of the restaurant, I was gobsmacked to arrive only for the waitress (a darn rude waitress) couldn't care less and just placed us anywhere. We had specifically wanted one of the circular round tables and even though we had enough in our party and it was empty, it was refused. I thought to myself, what on earth was the point of booking a table if nobody even cares about table bookings.

Food wise it was just appalling. Not even average. The macaroni cheese tasted like something from a packet. I ended up suffering from diarrhoea as a result. I suspect food poisoning. My friends on both occasion had bland food that they did not enjoy. There was absolutely no service except when bringing our food. Not all the food was bought over that we ordered and we had to ask for them again. There would be a different waiter each time. We ordered desserts and only realised afterwards what a mistake it was. Some of the items weren't in stock and of those that were, the desserts were clearly out of date and stale. Cannot believe that they could even serve this. I wonder if it was someone else's cake from the afternoon who hadn't eaten it and they just picked it out of the bin and served it to us.

When we asked for the bill, I realised that the items we had asked to have bought over that weren't bought over in the first instance was added to the bill TWICE as the waiter who spoke no English, assumed we had ordered it twice when infact we were waiting for it to come in the first place. One of these happened to be a drink that we ordered that appeared twice on the bill although we ordered one. I called the waiter over and asked her to take it off. She accused us of having two and then walked around picking up each glass and inspecting it. Luckily it was a fruit drink and as only one of the party had it, it was evident from the glass that we ordered only one. However, we were utterly disgusted at the fact that she had the audacity to examine our glasses as if we were liars especially when the error was from their side.

The waiter rudely went over to the manager and the manager gave us a dirty look for having the audacity to ask them to remove something from the bill that we hadn't even ordered or received.

To add insult to injury, they reprinted a receipt, slapped on a 12.5% service charge. The receipt stated "service charge not included." The waiter took a pen and crossed out with the pen the word "not" so it read "service charge [inked out pen] included." How unprofessional. Who on earth does that??? That sort of service and behaviour is despicable.

As our party were a group of professionals, we weren't too fussed about paying the service charge however when it came to paying the bill, instead of including it as one sum as we assumed it would be, the cheeky waitress suddenly turned the service charge into a tip for her and took the food as the bill and then with the last person who paid, she physically entered £3 and then added on £10 for gratuity i.e. her tip. Had I known she would have taken the entire amount as a tip, I would have knocked off the £10 altogether from the bill.

I suffered from food poisoning as a result of food from this restaurant which took me over a week to recover from. Another friend also had an upset stomach form the food.

A despicable restaurant - really this place should be closed down. Appalling food (which will probably give you food poisoning as did for me), despicable service, management who clearly do not care and an utter lack of customer service from the waitress. Avoid at all costs - you are better off starving and saving your money and if your really need to spend it, please, just give it in charity.

I am reluctant to even give this one star. Really this restaurant deserves zero stars. Unless you want to be poisoned or want poor service with abysmal food then please, do yourself a favour and avoid, avoid, avoid.

• Visited April 2012