“Nice courtyard but instantly forgettable pizza”
Review of Amici

Amici
Ranked #11,467 of 22,692 Restaurants in London
Price range: US$14 - US$19
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Venue The decor is modern and the seating consists of curved booths at one end of the restaurant, with a large red wooden communal table as the room's centerpiece and smaller tables dotted around it. There is an outside area at the back that's perfect in warm weather. The Atmosphere Loyal regulars come back again and again for never-changing favorites, but seasonal additions keep it interesting. Service is reliable and there is no problem adding something to a dish if you wish. The clientele is a mixture of couples young and old, families and groups of friends. The Food The menu also hits all the right notes, with its line-up of well-turned-out comfort food: textbook carpaccio, calamari, perfectly cooked Steaks, veal milanese the size of Sicily, &, especially, knockout pasta (try the crab linguini). Alternatively, perch on a stool at the bar while knocking back Prosecco & snacking on Bruschetta. The Drink Amici is fully licensed and you can indulge in classic or Champagne cocktails for about £6. One particularly welcome addition is a larger choice of wines by the glass, bottles of wine start at around £15.95 And beer is available either in draft or bottles.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice courtyard but instantly forgettable pizza”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Had dinner here on a balmy evening late September. It was nice to sit outside but the pizza was extremely disappointing, cardboard-like base and toppings also disappointing. Would not recommend!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Tobymcphilemy
Houmi, Owner at Amici, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear Toby,

I am sorry for the late reply.
Thank you for your kind remarks about our garden – yes it is a hidden gem in central London.

I am sorry that you were disappointed with our style of pizza which is thin and crispy although I can not call it ‘cardboard like’. It would be interesting to know what toppings you had on your pizza
I am saddened that you didn’t mention this to your waiter as we are all there to make sure that your experience is a pleasant one.

We cant do much if guest decide just to leave a note in a website, we are all losers then. We haven’t managed to put anything right for you, and you have left our restaurant not feeling good.

Anyway, I hope you change your mind and visit Amici again – this time maybe ask for extra sauce on your pizza. Please contact me (07775843522) and I will be happy to make your reservations personally.

Kindest Regards,

Houman Meshkati

Paris
“Must go there mot than ons to understand”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I have Ben to this Restorent befor, it only gets beter specially wen there is a event specially recommend jazz night :)

• Visited August 2013
Houmi, Owner at Amici, responded to this review, 21 August 2013
I am very glad to read that you have enjoyed your visit at Amici Kennington. I am pleased that you did enjoy both the food, the atmosphere and Jazzzzzz.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to seeing you all :-) again very soon

Houman and the team
London
“Nice Italian, great courtyard, bargain lunches”
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Good food with passion. Nice and friendly staff. Great courtyard out the back when the sun is shining. Incredible lunch prices. Don't go to Pizza Express next door. If a bit more clinical then I would give 5 stars but I really like this place so give it a go.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank horsepower27
Houmi, Owner at Amici, responded to this review, 8 August 2013
Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am very glad to read that you have enjoyed your visit at Amici Kennington. I am pleased that you did enjoy both the food and the atmosphere provided there. You are correct, the Courtyard certainly a unique space in Kennington,Thank you once again, and we look forward to seeing you again in the future
You might also like to know that we have a sister restaurant Doost - Persian Grill & Vodka Bar at 305 Kennington Road

London, United Kingdom
“Amazing family lunch!”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We had the most fantastic long, lovely lunch at Amici's to celebrate our daughter's first birthday with our family in style and it was magnificent. Everyone commented on how lovely it was - the food was incredible - tasty, fresh and beautifully prepared. The staff were incredibly accommodating and helpful and the service was brilliant. The setting, outside in the very cute, private, quiet little courtyard (which you wouldn't know was there unless you go in) was just delightful. Everyone enjoyed it so much, we think a large family, summer lunch in the Amici courtyard may have to become a family tradition each year to celebrate!!

• Visited July 2013
Houmi, Owner at Amici, responded to this review, 27 July 2013
Dear Rosie_Holden

Thank you so much for your kind comments.
We are both sorry to have missed you - I had to give Sethy a lift to airport as she was going to visit her mum.
Very pleased to hear all went well - I will pass on your kind comments to Dawid, Martin and their team. Enjoy the sun and we hope to catch up with you next time you are in London. Thanks again from us all

Houman
“Average food, deceptive & poor service”
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

Had a great meal here with my family in May - using tastecard upon walking in. Next time was told tastecard required 24hr booking and now they don't accept it at all!

Saw a good looking lunch deal on a board outside, though so thought we'd try it. Turns out ALL the prices are 'old' and so don't apply. A very bad glass of white wine cost £4 and the courses were WAY more than £6.90.

The food is good but the price is just very high for what it is and the deception and changing 'rules' surrounding tastecard are very frustrating. Though we are local residents we won't be back again!

• Visited July 2013
Houmi, Owner at Amici, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear AaronHNahum

I am glad that you had a great meal with your family with us in May using Taste Card. Yes we did try to use this concept but we soon found out that as a local restaurant with no huge co-operation behind us this was just a recipe for bankruptcy. I cannot understand why you find this confusing. As a local resident surely you should support a local business that has been involved in the community for over ten years.
With reference to the good deal you found on the board, that relates to our lunch time special Tuesday - Friday and it is very clear, it is 6.90 for one course, so your comment regarding prices just very high What did you have? That you thought the price is To High!!!.

I am sorry that you felt that our Taste Card withdrawal was frustrating, all our regular customers (as a resident you would know that 90% of our clients are local repeat customers) have understood and have supported us rather than moving away to the local chains because they all understood Amici's dedication to Kennington, the quality of food and service we provide.

I hope that you change your mind and visit us again. Please contact me directly so I can make reservations personally.