“Check-in and Check-Out a disaster”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #189 of 1,081 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 October 2012

I stayed at the Park Plaza, Westminster Bridge on the 26th October and both the check-in and check out experience was a total disaster.

There is no proper queueing system and it seems like a free for all with customers pushing in to get checked in first. It wasn't that busy but I queued for check-in for almost 35 minutes and every customer check-in took an age, except of course my check in which only took 2-3 minutes when I was eventually served! No idea why check-in was taking so long. I patiently queued and then when it was my turn to be served the receptionist said he was closing his station and I would have to go to another receptionist, hence more queuing in the non-sensical queuing system.
It was the same at check-out which took 30 minutes again with everyone pushing in and no proper queuing system.

Surely all they need is to implement a proper roped queuing system and everyone would line up in an orderly fashion.

The actual hotel is in a great location, breakfast was excellent, but my first impression at check in soured the whole experience as did my departure. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Dominic1967
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2012

Thanks for your review Dominic1967.

That Friday saw an unusually high demand at check in, I’m sorry to note that it was exasperated a little further by the closing of a check in counter once you had already approached the desk.

We generally do have the one queue system with a team member “working the line”.

I’m sorry you were discouraged by your first experience and hope you will give us the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future.

Thank you.

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (18,090)

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Pound for pound this is just about the best hotel in London and brilliantly geared up for the business traveller. One tip. If you are staying overnight and needing a meeting room, upgrade to the 12 th floor rooms which have an attached lounge. Not quite a suite but an excellent meeting venue. The upgrade for this week was just £40. Go for it.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2012

Glad we could accommodate you Canny C, thanks for your review.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

Me and my daughter had a very nice week at this hotel. It is located very close to London Eye and Big Ben. There many buses that stop next to the hotel

The breakfast was OK, the room is nice and clean, the beds are comfortable. The bathroom is big and nice.
We did not go to the spa, because visiting London's attractions took us a lot of time.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Glad you both enjoyed London and your time with us Tadiw2, thanks for your review.

Reviewed 27 October 2012

We stayed here in the first week of hour holiday in a studio room and the last week of our holiday in an executive apartment...

Studio Room - This was a great room with a view one way of (a little) of the London Eye, The room was large and very comfortable. The sofa folded out to a bed which was great when hubby wanted to watch TV at night (and eventually fall asleep!).

The bathroom was a little on the small side, with the shower being quite small, a couple of extra inches would have been good, but it was a clean and tidy bathroom so all good. The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were strange, they just sink when your head hits them! (not the only hotel in europe who had the sinky pillows!).

The room was on the 12th floor and the hotel was nice and quiet!

Executive Apartment - Oh my goodness this was cool! We stayed here as a treat, it was a one bedroom apartment, the bedroom was large and bed comfortable, the bathroom was bigger than in the studio room also.

We were welcomed to our room by a plate of delicious chocolates! The lounge room was large and it had a small kitchen and dining table. The room had a good size bar fridge also.

We also had a balcony, which was very cool, with an amazing view of the London Eye and the other side of the city. It had a sun lounger and a table which was great for a drink!

We had access to the Executive Lounge which we paid 39pounds a day, this was well worth it as between 6-8pm there was free drinks and canapes (usually small chicken wings, cheeses, vegies and dips etc), and a small hot buffet and pastry bar for breakfast. Well worth the money, and great for an evening drink after a long day. It was always quiet and had couches or tables to enjoy the view.

Generally, the hotel was well set out, it had a business centre, gym and pool which we used a couple of times. It is close to everything. You can walk to Waterloo or Embankment tube stations, depending on where you were off to. The hotel room service was excellent - such a wide selection! I would recommend the ribs!

We also ate at Ichi Sushi which was yummy! And Brasserie Joel.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: The Studio rooms were a good size and have the extra comfort of the separate lounge area
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bubiana
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Thanks for your great detailed review Bubjana and for your recommendation and five star rating.

We hope we got your holiday tour off to a great start.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Stayed here for business but probably more ideal for tourist. I was upgraded to a studio room, which wasn't that great as essentially you have more space, but it is bisected by the bathroom. Also, I could only ever get the lights to stay on 1 side at a time, so if I was walking back and forth it was a pain. Right at the foot of the Westminster bridge, the views are amazing. You're also only about a 3 minute walk to the Westminster tube stop which is very convenient to get anywhere in the city. I am a walker so spent most of my leisure time traveling by foot - walked to Buckingham Palace, Piccadilly Circus, London Bridge, etc.

My only complaint was how inefficient it was to get seated for breakfast. If someone who didn't have breakfast included in the room rate was at the front of the line, everyone would have to wait while someone explained to them the cost and they went through the process of signing up. There could definitely be a much more efficient process, particularly when the line building up would be 10+ people.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thanks for your review Sarah8711, sorry you had difficulty with the lights and breakfast and I’ll have a look at that breakfast queuing system.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Fabulous hotel in a great location with clean, large modern rooms and luxurious facilities.
I had a complimentary upgrade to a suite which I was extremely pleased with. It's a shame I wasn't staying longer

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thanks OllyRochdale, we're always happy to upgrade when we can, glad we were able to do so as you checked in.

Reviewed 26 October 2012

Sorry....but this place left me cold... Literally. We booked a good few weeks ago and I requested a studio room with an iconic view as it was a special surprise for my partner and our 12 yr old daughter. I paid £271 for 1 night which did not include breakfast which was fine....as I expected a decent view for the price and this was the hotel rate for the studio with iconic view. On arrival I was bluntly informed that my request for a view had not been accommodated, and there was no option to upgrade. So we got a view of the hotel opposite and the back of Waterloo station... I was fuming but did not want to spoil things for my family.

The room was cold, bedding for my daughter completely inadequate for a chilly winter evening. We couldn't get anywhere near the bar or brassiere so can't comment on that. Breakfast was mediocre, nothing special with limited choices. The shower leaked horrendously...I couldn't wait to get back .

I'm not prone to complaining, but this was an experience that left me completely frustrated. The only thing that they did appear to be good at was getting the bill to you quickly.

We won't be returning, so no comments about 'we look forward to seeing you on your next visit to London' please, Mr hotel manager. we visit London a lot - we used to live there. There are some fantastic hotels available, this definitely isn't one of them.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for your review AbsintheFariy, I’m sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, this is disappointing. However, I will aim to clarify some of your concerns.

As you’ve noted, your request was not guaranteed, therefore regrettably we were unable to accommodate requests for upgrades especially as the hotel had been at full occupancy recently. To ensure you always receive a room with a view it is advisable to book the relevant room type and receive a confirmation accordingly.

I’m sorry the room was cold, we have heating in all our rooms and would have been able to assist to ensure you were all warm enough by increasing the heat and providing any additional blankets upon request, I’m sorry this did not happen.

Regarding the English breakfast selection, we have an extensive breakfast menu, therefore I would kindly ask for your feedback on what items you feel we could add which would further enhance the offering to our menu?

Thank you.