“First class experience”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #192 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Fantastic hotel, manned by polite, attentive and professional staff. Went for my daughters 18th and just happened to mention this when booking. On arrival in her room she found a work of art birthday cake. Thank you Park Plaza for this. Good sized rooms. Spotless and well equipped...the pillows and beds were to die for. The hotel is in a brilliant position for tube and train access but also allows for sightseeing on foot. Great location. My only gripe was that the breakfast was cold on both mornings. However all in all a memorable and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Mojos090
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

Thank you Mojos090 for your 5 star review, especially despite your experience at breakfast, which has been duly noted.

We hope to welcome you back soon to enjoy another great stay and our improved service.

Just a brief, yet heartfelt "Thank You" to the great staff at the Park
Plaza Westminster Bridge. I stayed at the hotel for three nights last
week - and I was very much impressed by both the facilities and the
friendly and helpful staff. From check-in, through breakfast, to
check-out and luggage storage - everything was handled very
professionally, friendly and with a smile by hotel staff.
Highly appreciated!
I am looking forward to staying at this hotel again soon.

Room Tip: If possible, ask for a room with an outside view, since the rooms facing the courtyard can be a bit...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FuenfsterneTiger

..and we are very happy with your review! Thank you FuenfsterneTiger.

You are most welcome and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

I have visited this hotel 4 times in the last year and not once have I been disappointed. From the moment you step into this hotel you feel welcome and there is nothing they would not do to assist your stay be great. I have taken my husband, mum,sister, kids and friends here. Each experience was unique and special. Thank you. I shall hope to return soon

Room Tip: Studio rooms are great for families lots of room and beds are good for children.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

What an encouraging review for our team! Thank you Caz G, we’re delighted to be providing such a great experience for you and your family and friends.

We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

Had a great stay here in January 2103. The location is fantastic - we walked to Leicester Square and Covent Garden - could not be more central. Great views of Houses of Parliament just across the bridge. Rooms extremely well equipped and beautifully furnished. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Nice small pool. Compared with many other hotels in London, great value too. Cannot fault it!

Room Tip: Well worth asking if a room upgrade is possible.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rustyrustic

...and I cannot fault your review, thanks rustyrustic for your recommendation. We’re delighted you enjoyed you time with us and our great location.

We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to London.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

The striking round building across the bridge from Westminster gets a big thumbs up for the building on the outside and the inside, and of course location. It is well laid out and offers a number of useful services. Breakfast offers all of the possible, usual breakfast options and rather well done.

However, value for money takes a nose dive once staff are factored in. Not a single member of staff could be seen to smile or appear to have any regard for the customer over the 3 days of our stay. Almost seemed like they were all being bullied at work or something... all of them?! Our reservation was issued without breakfast, which had been paid for and it took staff quite some time to rectify the problem. As was the case with lights and the television in the room which were only partly functional on arrival.

Positives: Excellent room view (guaranteed in atrium or executive rooms only), well laid out building, excellent location, modern building, quality and varied breakfast.

Negatives: Very cold staff, communal areas could be cleaner, poor welcome, beds were a bit too firm, shower did not ventilate very well, room maintenance sub-standard.

Room Tip: Any atrium rooms get pretty much as good a room as the front executive rooms, any other rooms probab...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded 8 February 2013

Dear K R,

Thank you for your review, however, I am sorry to note you did not receive our usual warm welcome.

With such a great location and rooms to match our team are dedicated to providing a great warm welcome to ensure all our guests experience a great stay.

I have shared your feedback with our team as it has truly served as a great reminder of the importance to let their joy shine through. We have a great team here and I’m sorry you did not see or “feel” it.

I do hope you’ll be back to enjoy the true Park Plaza Westminster Bridge experience on your next visit, do let me know.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

In April 2012, I decided I would like to travel to London for a once in a lifetime trip for my 50th birthday, I threw caution to the wind as I decided to book with Orbitz. I figured they would take care of my mother and me. I realized they were in this situation to make money; I just didn't know how much. We chose September 1, 2012 to fly out and to return on September 8, 2012.

We would land at London Heathrow and be met by a driver who would take us to our hotel: the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. The driver was also scheduled, we confirmed with the sweet customer service girl from Orbitz, to return us to the airport September 8th. Her accent was very heavy and I'm sure she wasn't speaking to us from an American office, but that was okay; we could still understand her very well. We established London private ground transportation to and from the hotel for our flights in and out. That was about $106 American dollars, which we thought was very good for the 10 mile trip. It was London, after all and we didn't want to chance a cab. The girl also assured us we would have two beds in our room; perhaps not queen beds, but probably full or twin beds. We had asked her several times about this, and each time she confirmed it. She also told us that breakfast was included in the price of our package.

After all was said and done, we booked the trip and it came to about $4,000 and some change. This was just for the hotel, flight and $244 for insurance. I was a little apprehensive at the cost and wondered what we'd actually get for the money, but my mother assured me it was an adventure.

Later, I was reading some of the 'small print' in the confirmation e-mail and read we had an 'atrium' room. What did that mean? My mother spoke to someone at the hotel. It meant 'brickwall' apparently. We were told our room would face a brick wall and would have a skylight to allow in a little natural light. This being a once-in-a-lifetime trip I wanted a view of the city of London. We called. They would see what they could do, but could not confirm that we'd have a room with a view of the city. They said if they did have a room with a window, the upgrade would cost us twenty pounds a day; an additional $31.80 a day American funding. In addition, I wrote an e-mail to Francisco R. I heard nothing more about a possible upgrade until August 30. He spoke about the amenities in the room and said we were booked for the atrium with a king size bed. To my dismay he confirmed the atrium room and the skylight. He also went on to say that breakfast was not included in our package. We could sign up additionally for either a breakfast that would cost about 17 pounds, or a breakfast buffet that cost about 21 pounds. Hmmm, 27 or 33 American dollars, respectively. For breakfast? I know London is purportedly one of the most expensive cities on earth, but that seemed a little ridiculous.

I told him that we would make our decision about breakfast once we reached the hotel because we were leaving within a few short hours. I had a few other questions for him, but, it being so close to the trip, I didn't hear back, naturally; And normally we wait to arrive at a hotel and ask to view the room, and then decide whether our appointed space is acceptable. You can always ask to be moved to a more suitable room. For some reason this habit slipped right out of both my and my mother's heads.

We were both pretty bedraggled when we landed in London at Heathrow. There were scads of people, but I picked out my old friend who said he would meet us at the airport. He helped us to locate our private ride and was going to meet us at our hotel. Our driver, Jimmy 15, was a nice gentleman. He was driving one of the smallest cars I'd seen in a long time. The car ran on both petrol and electricity. I hadn't been expecting a sedan, but I also wasn't expecting a car just slightly larger than a Festiva, either. One of our suitcases had to sit in the backseat. My mother insisted on sitting back there and was a little surprised when Jimmy 15 stuffed the suitcase in with her.

Jimmy 15 was the nicest man. Very sweet. He was a smoker, but did'n light up when we were in the car with him. And he explained so many of the sites to us as we wound our way through London from the airport. He gave us his card and said we could request him for the trip back if we so chose. We told him we would call and request him, gladly.

My friend met us at the hotel just as we were dropped off by Jimmy 15 and he escorted us inside to the front desk. We were told we would have an upgrade to a room with a view. I was ecstatic. They said that they were having special on the breakfast buffet (full English breakfast), it would be 12 pounds per person, per day. It was explained to us that it was non-refundable and that we would have to have it for our entire stay no matter what. We were so tired, and my friend, who was obviously accustomed to a full English breakfast, said he thought it was a good deal as eating breakfast out might be expensive. We signed up not really knowing what it was.

We got to our room. The sheers were drawn, the curtains were open, and the rod for pulling aside the blackout curtains was hanging in the middle ot the window because it was broken off the curtain. I fixed it as best I could and opened the sheers. Yes, there was a view of the city. We looked over the black and dirty exempt railroad yards and there wasn't much to look at beyond that. Over 1,100 rooms at that hotel and this is the one they chose to give us.

We weren't sure what the actual price of the hotel room was per night because Orbitz didn't break that down; but we figured the plane tickets were at least $1,000 per person. The hotel room had to be at least $300 per night before the additional 31 American dollars was added on for the upgrade. The hotel seemed so staunch in their position that I knew I wouldn't find satisfaction. Perhaps I should have been that difficult customer.

To me, the bed was very nice, as well as the pillow (wonderful) and I slept very well that first night.

We went to the full English breakfast buffet the next morning. My mother found that she couldn't stomach the food as it was prepared. When we went to the front desk--which we did more than once, we were told there was no backing out. We were told that our room would be charged whether we ate at the hotel or not. Added to this was the insult that they would not take off Saturday's breakfast charge even though we were schedule to leave the hotel at 5:45 a.m. to arrive back at Heathrow in time to fly out. The breakfast at the hotel didn't start until 7:30 a.m. Saturday morning.

Tuesday, my birthday, was lovely. We spent it going over the Tower Bridge, and the Tower Castle and ended up in the evening back at the Tower Castle for the Keys Ceremoney. This I would recommend to anyone. A 700 year tradition, and they were only late once during WWII when the Tower was bombed. Seven minutes late. We returned to the hotel that night and saw that although the beds were made and the dirty towels were removed, nothing was replenished. Wednesday, again, nothing was replenished.

Wednesday evening I received an e-mail from the hotel in response to my query sent before we flew over. I was asked how things were going. I explained a few things regarding the view and the breakfast and also explained my concern that our room, while allegedly being cleaned, was not being replenished. We weren't receiving handtowels, or the complimentary things that usually come on a daily basis with a room cleaning.

Thursday we went out and visited Stonehenge and Bath. When we returned late that evening we went to our room and the first thing we saw was a *huge* stack of towels, multiple hand-towels and precisely two washcloths. This was precariously set on the very edge of the arm of the sofa in the sitting room.

I actually felt a wave of panic as I made my way through the narrow hall and noticed there had been many, many condiments (sugars, creamers, etc.) scattered violently across the counter-top as though they had been thrown in anger. The curtains in the sleeping area had been yanked back hard enough to break the rod off the curtain again.

We went to the main floor and went directly to the guest manager on site for the evening. She was very understanding and very apologetic and put an order in for maintenance to come in to fix the curtains with a note explaining that there would be a do not disturb sign on the door to prevent housekeeping from coming in, but maintenance to disregard that. She took off the Saturday breakfast. It was then we found out that we could order anything we wanted off the menu at the hotel restaurant because the restaurant staff 'wouldn't know the difference'. That was part of the 12 pound non-refundable 'special'. We were dumbfounded. No one had explained this to us. We thought we were restricted to what was on the buffet, and not free to order off the menu.

At the time, we also mentioned our disappointment in placing and receiving phone calls in our room. We had purchased a calling card to cut back on the costs of communicating with people in London, as well as people back in the States. However, the hotel charged us anywhere between 2.5 pounds and 5 pounds per call, whether we were receiving them or placing them. All in all, the additional costs of the hotel came to about $800 American dollars with all the fees they tacked on.

After, we went back to our room and decided to confirm our ride back to the airport. It turns out our Orbitz representative had only booked a one way trip from the airport, even though she had told us we had two way transport when we explicitly asked. We had to scramble to establish an appointment to be picked up at the hotel Saturday morning, and as it turns out, the fee was half of what we had paid to be transported from the airport to the hotel, by the same service and driver, Jimmy 15!

After we returned to the states my mother called to speak with Orbitz about what had happened during our trip. Orbitz said there was nothing they could do; however, they could send us a $50 voucher for our next trip booked through them. They sent an electronic voucher.

All in all, I absolutely love the United Kingdom and am hoping to return in the future because there is so much more to see. I will not, however, stay at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge, nor am I planning on utilizing Orbitz to plan my trip. I am very disappointed in both those businesses.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before checking in, no matter how exhausted you are from your travels. If you a...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank BerkanaBeads

Dear BerkanaBeads,

Thank you for your detailed review, however, I’m sorry your trip to London was not as you had hope for.

As some of your comments relate to Orbitz who are operated independently of Park Plaza Hotels I am not at liberty to comment on your experience with them.

There are a number of packages available to our guest directly from the hotel and indeed via third party agents such as Orbitz. Without knowing your initial requirements and as the booking was made via Orbitz, I am not able to comment freely as to whether you had been sold the most appropriate package.

Upon your check-in into the hotel you would have been allocated the room that been booked prior, as you’ve rightly noted, with over 1,000 bedrooms not all rooms would have a view and we allocate rooms according to the room type booked and confirmed. However, this of course does not excuse the lapse in Housekeeping standards, my apologies for the broken curtain rod and I trust following your reporting we responded with a swift repair.

I am pleased to note that the breakfast charge was duly removed for Saturday morning. With over 80 items on our buffet I am sorry to note that none were to your liking and that you were not aware that you could order from the a la carte menu as well as request special items which were to your satisfaction.

Although you state you will not return, I do hope we are able to welcome you back to enjoy an improved service in the near future.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

We spent just one night at this hotel but wished we could have spent longer here. Nice arrival experience with a smart and efficient Reception. We had booked 3 rooms and we all received a complimentary upgrade to a studio room on the 13th floor as one of our party was celebrating his birthday. Nice modern hotel in a great location for visiting the Eye, Theatre Land and Central London. Good breakfast, nice staff and generally a very nice experience. Would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2013

Thank you Audirs4England for your star review, we’re delighted you enjoyed your time with us.