“Great location - lengthy check-in process”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #199 of 1,068 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicagoland
“Great location - lengthy check-in process”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I can only reiterate what other tripadvisor reviews have mentioned about the check-in procedure. As to our experience, there was a very long check-in line when we arrived (I noticed this was the case for most of our stay). Our receptionist typed (endlessly, it seemed) to bring up our reservation - which turned out to be neither the type of room nor the rate that we had reserved (we came with written email confirmation in hand.) Even though we thought we had this problem sorted out when we finished checking in, our final bill did not reflect such and it took yet another long wait in line then several minutes to sort out the problem. Although I applaud the hotel for employing a multi-national reception staff, it was difficult to understand the various accents. All of this aside, the rest of the stay was great. Restaurants were good, staff pleasant, concierge services very helpful. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean and quiet - no noise from room next door, hall or outside. If they could work on speeding up check-in process, it would be most helpful to guests. Overall, a great place to stay and value for the money. Our only real complaint about this hotel is the check-in process!

Room Tip: We had a suite which helped minimize noise from the hall. We also had a room with a window looking...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beatrice189
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Dear Beatrice189,

Thank you for your review and feedback following your stay.

I’m pleased to note your billing issue was resolved and that you enjoyed our restaurants and friendly helpful team members.

I hope we’ll be able to welcome you back for an even better stay on your next visit.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,365)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We stayed at the Park Plaza for 4 nights in late June as a family group of 5. Due to the mix of people we had to have 3 rooms which was quite an expensive trip. I had asked before we arrived if we could have adjacent rooms but this wasn't noted on arrival but luckily we did manage to get rooms on the same floor. The rooms was all internal facing which was fine but they were very dark with next to no natural light. Lovely furnishings and the bathrooms were great but just a note to ladies that there is no mirror at the dressing table to you have to stand and balance hairdryers and straighteners etc at a full length mirror in the bedroom. Breakfast was pretty rotten and service poor. Hotel breakfasts are usually a treat so the first day we were sent to a lower ground makeshift breakfast room due to overcrowding in the proper dining room. I waited patiently for a fried egg as a young chef was cooing them freshly and then just as they were almost ready she used the same spatula she'd used for stirring the ham from a ham omelette to lift my eggs. As a veggie needless to say I didn't eat them and couldn't spare another 15 minutes to wait again.Our second day we were a bit more assertive and stuck out for the main dining room. We were put in a far corner (maybe we weren't beautiful enough) and then had to track someone down 4 times before we managed to get a cuppa. Breakfast was dry and overcooked and guess what - no eggs in evidence anywhere! Gave up after that and ventured out for breakfast. The location though is fantastic and the concierge service is second to none. The bar serving food is great (Primo) - service, food, drinks and atmosphere is really very good. As I say the decor and accommodation was great, cool and contemporary. My only final point is the "Executive Lounge". The photos on the website show a great vista from what I now know is the Executive lounge. It was disappointing to find out on arrival that we could only get access to this vista if we paid extra for an upgrade to Exec. As we had already gone to significant expense to be there it was out of our grasp and we could only look on wistfully from a dark and distant window to see others sipping their cocktails whilst overlooking Westminster. The irony is that we would probably have spent lots in there if we had been allowed in! So after being sent to the dungeon on day one for breakfast, day two being put in a dark corner of the breakfast room and ignored and then not being allowed to the hallowed ground of the Executive lounge, I have now returned to my other chums in the "not worthy", carnival of the grotesques crowd!

Room Tip: Our rooms were internal facing and very dark. If you can afford it - get an outside veiw and some na...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JobiFA
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Dear JobiFA,

Thank you for your review but I’m sorry to note it was not an experience commensurate with Park Plaza Westminster.

Please note that booking requests are not guaranteed and are subject to availability upon check in, however, where possible we endeavour to accommodate requests for room close together. I am pleased we were able allocate rooms on the same floor for you.

I’m sorry to note your poor breakfast experience and have shared your comment with our Breakfast Manager Amit and our Executive Chef, Walter, they would like to be associated with this apology. However, please note that you were seated at the first table that became available and was in no way discriminated against due to your looks.

Regarding the Executive Lounge, our website states there is an additional charge for the use of the lounge - £39 per night (2 sharing), which includes breakfast, afternoon tea and canapés in the evening, all inclusive, no further spend is required upon entry.

Thank you and I hope we can serve you better in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

An excellent hotel if in London for business, and a good base if exploring London on holiday. I've been here for both.

The hotel is new, spacious and modern. There is a good gym, pool, leisure suite and spa.

The location, on Westminster Bridge, is incredibly central and easy to get to via Waterloo or Westminster stations. Westminster and the South Bank are both in easy walking distance.

The food is of a high standard, excellent breakfast range and a good room service menu.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable, although the view of the internal atrium is a let down at the price. Getting a room with an outside view is worth it. The views from the suites are particularly impressive.

Staff are very professional, welcoming and deliver the service you'd expect for a four star hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your review and continued loyalty RG46, my team and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Excellent experience with our recent stay here. Manager Hasham Soliman made arrangements for a cake and champage to be sent to our room to congratulate our daughter on her recent graduation. A very nice touch to welcome us to London. The location is perfect for short walking distances to many of the major attractions of the city. The Westminster tube station is just across the bridge. The room is divided with a seperate living area with a fold-out bed that we used. We were very comfortable sleeping 3 in our room, which had twin beds in the bedroom. Each staff member we encountered was attentive and polite. Overall a wonderful experience! Can't wait to return and I enthusiastically recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a central London location close to major landmarks in the city.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you STF501 for posting your 5 star review for our hotel.

We’re thrilled to have provided a wonderful experience for you and your family.

Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to see you again on your next visit to London.

Paris, France
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge is a rather big hotel, the reception area is huge and feels rather nonpersonal. Very few working at check in and out, expect long waiting time. The rooms and public areas are immaculately clean. The lighting in the room could be a little better, in general too dark what ever setting you tried. The bar (Primo Bar) had a relaxed atmosphere and had a nice show during our visit. The restaurant (Brasserie Joël) at the same floor as the bar served nice french cusine but not worth writing home about. In general it felt that the staff at the hotel were still in training thus lacking the efficiency expected from an establishment in this format. The pool area and the gym are undersized in relation to the number of visitors/guests at the hotel.

Room Tip: Beware that not all rooms has windows out to the city, our room has a window facing the interior of...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Bertil_75715,

Thank you for your review and feedback.

I’m sorry we were not able to provide our usual warm welcome and I appreciate your comments. My team and I continue to review and implement new ways to improve the way we conduct our business and I hope we’ll be able to serve you better in the near future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Only a couple minutes away on foot from Waterloo Station and right across the bridge from Westminster, the hotel makes for a great base to discover London. Service from the porters to the concierge and front desk was all very courteous and helpful. The room itself was a little on the dark side, and I was disappointed to be placed in a room facing an internal atrium - not the main atrium facing Westminster, but one of the two smaller internal atria. So while there was still some sunlight, my view was of the wall opposite of my window. The room interiors were relatively new but I could tell that some pieces were starting to show their age. The bathroom was huge and very well lit. And as a Club Carlson Gold Member, they even sent up complimentary macarons as a welcome gift!

One note about accessing the hotel: it is situated in a sort of roundabout, so I was a little confused as to where the front door was (it is on the side facing Westminster). Also, there are very few crosswalks crossing the roads encircling the hotel, so be sure to look at a map before arriving from Waterloo.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Dear klavkonz,

Thank you for your review following your stay.

We truly are well situated at the base of Westminster Bridge, glad you found our entrance, located by the taxi rank.

Please note for an external facing room you would need to select at least a Studio room, full details can be found on the Park Plaza Westminster website. For an iconic view when booking you would need to select Studio Iconic View.

For any directions, our Concierge team would be more than happy to assist.

I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Sweden
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I had booked the hotel 2 months prior my arrival via Expedia, paid it all in full, requested a room with an outside view and anything higher than 4th floor. I expected to have a romantic week in London and after reading the raving reviews, i decided to book this hotel for the first half of my trip, which happened to be the worst mistake I ever did. After paying around $380 a night, i was more than disappointed with my room and the service received.
The front desk service was absolutely horrendous! I had booked a king room with one bed. During check in they told me sorry but they can give me only a room with 2 twin beds, unless I want a handicap room which they didn't recommend, as it doesn't have a full bathroom. I had booked a room 2 months prior and didn't even get to sleep in one bed with my loved one! After I was complaining and saying I need a room with one bed, the woman at the front desk was so rude and told me you booked it via Expedia and we are fully booked, we don't have other rooms available. She made it sound like they don't care about any bookings via Expedia, and I chose the king room on Expedia not the twin room but it seemed that they didn't care about that at all.
Needless to say, they didn't fulfill any of my other requests either. I got a room on the 3rd floor facing the atrium. I got the corner room, therefore it had zero natural light. Although the curtains were always open, I never knew whether it was still a night or already a morning. It felt like I was staying at a cellar without any natural light. I also had a difficult time sleeping as the hotel Is huge, one hotel room door after another one, and all I heard the whole night was people entering and leaving their rooms (the doors slamming).
All in all I can honestly say that I have never been happier to checkout from any hotels, but I looked forward to and were very excited to check out from this hotel. Im happy I decided to book my second half of the trip at the 5 star Grange St.Paul's Hotel because they saved my holiday and got all my special requests right! Overall, I would personally never return to Park Plaza Westminster Bridge Hotel, neither recommend this hotel to anyone due to my horrible experience there.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Carib-H
Dear Carib H,

As per my message dated 14 July 2013, I am of course disappointed to read your review and duly await your booking details in order to investigate to allow us to respond accordingly.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.