“Don't stay for the room service!”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #192 of 1,089 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Don't stay for the room service!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great location for Waterloo Station, bleak otherwise. I had to stay the night due to train cancellations and dived in here late. Picked up the phone at 9,00pm and asked for a burger. They said it would be a minimum of 55 minutes. Why not say "at lest an hour"? Or even "no, we don't do room service" which would have been more honest! I went and got a takeaway from Ben's Noodle Box by County Hall.

• Stayed October 2013
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear HenryTrafalgar,

Thank you for your review and we’re happy to have served you during the severe weather conditions.

It's unfortunate you changed your mind about our burger, we make a great one! Our waiting times can increase due to high demand...I hope you'll be able to return to enjoy the great service and dining experience from our Room Service team.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,288)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Guildford, Surrey, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

We are just coming to the end of our stay at the WPP -a 50th birthday treat for my husband
Plus a trip to London for our children at half term that I booked 6 months ago and spent upfront just £40 short of £1000 on 2 rooms for 3 nights.. The staff are all very nice so I've no complaints, and it's very central. But there are niggles for me that shouldn't happen in a hotel like this.
I called the hotel the day before to check my requests about adjoining rooms etc had been passed through via Expedia - they hadn't. We've ended up in 2 rooms on the 12th floor looking out onto a void - no daylight, no view of anything and 2 twin bedded rooms. The pool keeps being shut because of over-chlorination, and we are limited to booking slots in it as there are 'over 250 children in the hotel' (is this unusual then, and do only children use the pool?), which is a bit irritating. We don't have bathrobes - we are obviously either not paying enough or not on a lavish corporate loyalty programme, although it feels like everyone else on our floor using the pools does (are they flaunting them deliberately?). There is only one basin in each bathroom and ours doesn't seem to be able together rid of its contents very easily. Breakfast is £21 per person which is extortionate so off we go round the corner to Starbucks. Its a nice hotel but I feel short changed. Natural daylight and a view might have made the difference?

Room Tip: If you can afford it pay for a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CooksAway
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear CooksAway,

Following my request dated 30 October 2013, thank you for your booking information.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your birthday treat for your husband, I am pleased you enjoyed our central location and our hospitality from our team. I am sorry we were not able to recognise your special occasion as this has not been conveyed to us prior to your arrival or during your stay.

I am sorry to note you were unhappy with you room allocation. Regrettably, your rooming request was also not been conveyed to us prior to your arrival.

As you have noted, your confirmed booking was for two Superior rooms, which do not have an external view. We encourage all our guests when booking via third party agents to review our rooming list on the Park Plaza Westminster website to avoid disappointment. I also confirm that bathrobes are available in our Studio and Suites.

I apologise that the pool was not readily available for your use during your stay. At times we may have to close the pool as the Health and Safety of all our guests is always paramount.

I have some great breakfast options for your next visit: we have Illy cafe on the ground floor, serving great Italian coffee and breakfast in a very Starbuck-esk way! We also have Room Service, with no additional tray charge..and of course our great value Executive Lounge. For just £33 per night (single occupancy) or £49 (2 sharing) you can enjoy breakfast, afternoon tea and evening canapés and cocktails.

For your next visit your next for your preferred room type you will need to select a Studio room and for an iconic view its Studio Iconic or One Bedroom Suite Iconic view.

I hope we’ll be able to welcome you back to enjoy the true Park Plaza Westminster Bridge experience.

Birmingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here for my wife's birthday and I have to say it's the worst service experience ever !! We travel all over the world but the service is bad here !!! Arrived at the hotel at an absolutely stunning place with beautiful decor, however, went to check in and they could not find my booking (last minute) even though I had the booking reference !! Eventually after 25 min we were checked in!!! and the girl on the check in desk was so bad I had to keep repeating my name. She was not listening but typing away. Then in the evening we got locked out of our room, went to reception and they re- set the key room (said it was my debit card) which was soon proved wrong !!!! Went up with the re set key and guess what did not work again !!! Called the manager and gave him a real ticking off !!!! Apart from that a beautiful 4 star hotel with 5 star rooms.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Slybeth4,

I am of course very disappointed and concerned to read your review.

Following my message dated 29 October 2013 requesting your booking information I have yet to receive a response.

I believe I have identified your booking but as I am not 100% sure I am unable to comment freely. However, as noted in your comments, the booking was made out of hours on Saturday evening therefore unfortunately upon check in initially we were not able to locate your booking, but of course we checked you in as swiftly as possible.

Again, I am unable to comment freely regarding the pre-authorisation with your payment card, therefore, please do let me have your booking information and I will be able to investigate and respond accordingly.

Thank you.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on a girls weekend in London, the suite we had was lovely! Great size and furnished very nicely, but more importantly it was very clean. The facilities the room had were very impressive, especially the small 'kitchen' area. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in central London. The hotel is within a five minute walk from Waterloo train and tube station and a few minutes walk over the River Thames to Wesminster tube station, with views from the front of the hotel of Big Ben and the London Eye.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amy R
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Amy R,

Thank you for your review and for adding another 5 star review for our hotel.

My team and I are thrilled you enjoyed your girls weekend with us in our great surroundings and one of our comfy rooms.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

San diego
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

First off I have to say that the hotel Concierge deserves an "Excellent" rating. They reached out while I was in transit to offer a room upgrade and Executive Club Access - both of which we accepted. Kudos to the Concierge Staff.

The room was quite lovely, loved how the seating area was separated by the bathroom. The bed was a good size and very comfortable. Our view was not so great, but did provide the opportunity to see London's on going construction projects. However, even being right across from an active construction site our room was very quiet. Shower was great with plenty of water pressure and hot water. The Executive Club Lounge was worth every Pence! Excellent Staff, food, beverages, drinks and view! We will add this to our reservation from now on. The hotel's location is perfect for walking about the city's centre and for catching the Tube. We ate in the Sushi Bar the first night and had some very good sushi. Note: If you are looking for a casual and good Japanese Noodle restaurant go straight out the front of the hotel, up one block past the convenience store and on the right is a great Noodle place.

Room Tip: Add the Executive Club Access to your reservation. The breakfast is excellent along with the offerin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SandiegoBethany,

Thank you for your review and recommendation for our hotel.

It’s great to see our team's passion and dedication shining with this great example from our Concierge team, thank you for your kind words. I have shared your comments with the entire team.

I couldn’t agree with you more regarding our great value Executive Lounge, for just £39 per night (2 sharing) you can enjoy a great view, breakfast, afternoon tea and canapés and cocktails in the evening following a busy day sightseeing. Just ask whilst making a booking or checking in and we'll be delighted to add to your future bookings.

We’re pleased you enjoyed Sushi and your stay with us and hope we can welcome you back again soon.

Thames Ditton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We arrive at reception to be greeted by the longest queue I have ever experienced when checking in. Approximately 45 minutes later we reach the desk and immediately enquire about the extraordinary queue, she smiles! I try again with a different question, is it usually like this on a Saturday at this time or has a coach just arrived? She smiles! Well this is a good start to my wife's birthday present. She then starts to tell me about my booking, at which point I realise she's foreign. Perhaps she didn't get my British humour at the start. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt. I proceed to enquire about my request not to be near the lift because sometimes the noise can be loud which if busy can go on through the night. She looks into this and says no problem your all checked in.
We arrive on the 6th floor and walk far away from the lifts, of which where among the most I have ever seen in one location. Must have been about 10. This meant we only waited a few seconds for a lift each time. Not a great start but getting better. We get to our room, lovely decor and very cool looking hotel. I booked a superior room with queen bed but no breakfast or views of big Ben as the extra cost was not worth it as we had lots planned away from the hotel. The room could have been superior but I can never tell in hotels because they don't have the names above the door so you just take their word for it. The view was rubbish (internal wall) but didn't care and the "lovely lady" at check in had made it very clear (the only thing she had been clear about, my wife had to clear a few things up that I miss heard) that we had no breakfast because I hadn't paid for it, thanks? Then the queen bed. Nope, it's twin singles? Really? For a married couple? Am I missing something here? Didn't think we'd have single beds until we are old and grey (we are in our early 30's).
I call to find out what has gone wrong. They say they will call me back. We wait and wait and wait. I call back, they put me on hold then say they will call me back, no I say, she says go to reception if you don't want to wait around in the room. Thanks? We arrive at reception, a manager comes over and I explain the situation and ask him if he had checked my wife and I into that room would he not have felt it necessary to mention the single beds? He said yes, he would have mentioned the beds and given me an opportunity to upgrade. If you pay low wages to cheap foreign works you end up with poor first impression. Just a quick point, I was not born in Britain and my wife's parents are foreign. Have nothing against migrants, I believe there is a right person for every job. I'm the best at my job and I expect the person checking me in to be the best at their job. Anyway, I digress.
The manager explains the mix up with the bed is Expdia's fault. He says they only give Expdia single or twin single bed rooms to Expdia. I have booked with Expdia before, in fact earlier this year to Italy and had no problems. I check the booking I made and saw no mention of this fact. I took his word for it. He went off to look into the matter. Comes back and says he's sorted it but it will be 10mins. We get a free drink at the bar (I don't believe in complaining to get things for free or more than you deserve).
We finally get to our room, on the 6th floor right by the millions of lifts, great! The view is even worse, yes, worse than a wall! Who cares anymore, we have things booked and need to get going.
Must say the location is great and hotel looks the part. The manager was also very helpful and the bar is cool. I will contact Expdia about this matter and if it proves true that they only use single beds for some of their hotels then they will lose a loyal customer.

Room Tip: Check booking before arrival and avoid 2pm on Saturday. Arrive a bit later and if staying for the ho...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Max_ditton,

Thank you for your booking information which has allowed me to review and investigate your comments.

I apologise that your experience was not commensurate with Park Plaza Westminster Bridge. With so many positive reviews we are disappointed and concerned with your posting.

I have reviewed your booking and confirm the room booked was for a Superior double or twin. As the room type was not guaranteed, regrettably upon check we did not have Superior doubles available therefore you were duly allocated a Superior twin room. As that was not suitable, our Guest Relations Manager offered you an alternative room type that required supplementary payment, this was declined.

Our Superior rooms are our entry level rooms and do not have an external view. For an external view you need to select Studio room and for a room with a view it’s Studio Iconic.

We encourage all our guests when booking via a third party to review our room types on our Park Plaza Westminster Bridge website, this will ensure they are duly informed of our different room types. I am sorry this was not the case for your booking.

I have shared your comments with my senior management team and we are reviewing where issues were evident and ensuring that we manage and improve in these areas.

I hope we will have the opportunity to redeem ourselves in the near future and look forward to serving you better soon.

Kent, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at the hotel after working late one night, I had a great stay in this great hotel! Very warm welcome at the reception and was upgraded free of charge to a nicer room. I had a drink the bar with colleagues before heading up and the service in the bar was also very efficient and welcoming.

I was ecstatic when I got back to my room and saw that I had been upgraded to a gorgeous room with a view over Westminster Bridge towards House of Commons and Big Ben. The room was very clean and made effective use of the space, with a lot of hidden features. Complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits went down a treat, I did order something off the bedside menu which was delivered very quickly and was a lot more reasonably priced that I thought it would be.

Before going to sleep I left my breakfast room-service ticket on my door handle selecting what I wanted to be delivered for breakfast in the morning. I requested breakfast at 8am, so was a little surprised when it came 10 minutes before that, as I wasn't awake! But breakfast itself was gorgeous, with generous portions and quality produce. When leaving the hotel I was given a sending off by the nice member of staff at the door, where he told me of the offer to return for another night for a cheaper rate, as tempting as this was, I decided I better not!

Overall a lovely stay in a lovely hotel, with lovely staff and facilities. I hope to return soon.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a view across Westminster Bridge. Rooms higher up may be nicer, I was on th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your review Joshua C, we’re pleased you enjoyed a warm welcome to our modern and stylish hotel.

Glad you enjoyed your impromptu stay with us and complimentary upgrade, we’re certainly pleased to be able to off this when we can. Glad you enjoyed that amazing view too!

With regards to breakfast, there’s a 15 minute window either side of the request time to ensure efficient delivery times for all our guest requests. I’m pleased to note that you enjoyed a great start to your day with our portions and quality products.

So as not to miss out on our great deals, I strongly recommend registering to receive our newsletter. Just visit the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge website to register, where we also offer the Best Online Rate Guaranteed, subject to terms and conditions.

I hope we can welcome you back again soon for another great stay...business or pleasure!