“Big room and comfortable stay”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #201 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Sydney, Australia
“Big room and comfortable stay”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Good location and modern clean hotel.
Location 5 mins walk to Waterloo station metro.
Room is big and comfortable. Carpet was a bit old but overall is clean.
The reception area is always busy n hard to ask question.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 30 October 2013
Thank you for your review Emiko H we’re pleased you enjoyed our great location and one of our comfy rooms.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,312)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

The Park Plaza Westminster Bridge is in a fantastic location just over Westmister Bridge from the Houses of Parliament. It is a new building with a modern interior, very clean and nicely furnished throughout the public areas and the room itself.

When we arrived, we were greeted politely and directed to the check in desks. We got there just after check in started and there was a little bit of a queue, but we were offered some free Orange Juice while we waited, which was nice.

We had booked a "studio" room, which are on the exterior of the building. The cheaper rooms are internal with no exterior window - probably best avoided. We didn't opt for the "iconic view" (across the river to the Houses of Parliament), but nonetheless our view was not hideous (we could just about see the London Eye). The double-double-glazed windows meant that there was absolutely no audible noise from outside at all - even though the hotel is located in the middle of the busy Westmister Bridge Road gyratory.

The room itself had a good sized bedroom area, a nice bathroom - with a bath and proper shower cubicle - and a separate seating area with a sofa, coffee table and a second TV. This should have been a nice place to sit and read a book, but the lack of natural light reaching that area meant we didn't really make much use of it. A small "kitchen" area with a sink and tea/coffee facilities and the minibar/fridge were a nice addition.

Our abiding memory of our stay though will definitely be the endless fun we had trying to solve the mysterious logic puzzle installed by the hotel designers and disguised as the room's lighting system.

If you're like me, lighting systems don't really need to achieve much. To be honest, I'm happy with a simple switch that toggles the lights from the "on" state to the "off" state. But clearly this was not the order of the day for the hotel's designers and instead they got the guys behind popular point-and-click mystery adventure series "Myst" in to spice things up a bit.

When you walk into the room, there are two seemingly ordinary-looking switches on the wall. You press the first switch to find that it is not a traditional "on/off" rocker but rather one of those push on/push off toggle switches in cunning disguise. The first switch turns on the lights in the seating area. Fantastic you think, and you move on to the second switch, expecting that to turn on the lights in the bedroom...but no! Instead the main light that was turned on by the first switch is mysteriously extinguished and a second "mood light" turns on under the architrave in the opposing wall. "Fair enough - slightly odd arrangement, but fine", you think.

So how to turn on the lights in the rest of the room? Well, next to the bathroom is a square panel with four sqaure push-button switches on. These are labelled something like "Bathroom", "Full", "Night" and "Bedroom". Furthermore, there are two additional sqaure panels with four push-button switches on the tables next to the beds. The buttons on these are labelled EVERY SO SLIGHTLY differently to the ones on the panel by the bathroom - if I recall correctly: "Full", "Mood", "Night" and "Off".

In the corner of the room is a floor lamp. It is plugged into an apparently normal wall socket and has its own foot switch part way along the power cord.

So for the rest of your stay, your challenge is to work out how these many tantalisingly-labelled buttons are wired up, no doubt through a series of complicated logic circuits, to the actual lights in the room. We never solved the puzzle, but I suspect if we had, we would have opened a portal to level 2 - a magical realm populated by magical beasts, wizards and other mystical creatures wherein a great adventure awaits...something worth the effort, you know?

As you try to apply some form of structured approach to solving the mystery of the lights, you are bound to come across some of the frustrating dead ends and red herrings that the designers have cunningly put in place. Among these are:

1. The fact that the light labelled "Bathroom" does not *necessarily* turn the actual bathroom light on and off. Sometimes it does, sure, but sometimes it just turns the ambient lighting in the bathroom on and off, leaving the main bathroom light on.

2. Notwithstanding the above, when you are in the shower and your spouse/partner tries to turn the light on or off in the bedroom using the lighting panel by the bed, you will suddenly find the bathroom plunged into darkness. This despite the fact that none of the buttons on the bedside panels is labelled "bathroom".

3. You will then find that although the floor lamp is plugged into a wall socket and has its own on/off switch, it is still somehow mysteriously linked to the bedside control panel. You will, however, fail to work out how to turn on the exact combination of bedroom lights that you want - you will get frustratingly close, but always you will have either too many lights on, or not enough and have to resort to turning on the ambient light in the seating area to compensate or wear a pair of shades.

Eventually, we gave up playing with the lights as we had places to go. One day though, we will go back and solve the puzzle. I swear.

We definitely enjoyed our stay at the Park Plaza and would recommend it to anyone seeking a nice modern hotel in a great location...especially if you have a penchant for mental gymnastics and/or a slightly warped sense of fun. More hotels should be like this.

Room Tip: Get at least a studio room. Even without the "iconic view" premium, you should get a decen...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thebertster
Dear thebertster,

Thank you for your detailed review and recommendation for our modern stylish hotel.

I’m pleased you enjoyed a warm welcome arrival and juice during your short wait to check in and your comfy Studio room too.

I can see that the lighting proved to be a bit of a puzzle and my apologies for this. For your next visit do please call our Guest Services team and they will be able to talk you through any difficulties.

I hope we’ll be able to welcome you back soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great location for Waterloo Station, bleak otherwise. I had to stay the night due to train cancellations and dived in here late. Picked up the phone at 9,00pm and asked for a burger. They said it would be a minimum of 55 minutes. Why not say "at lest an hour"? Or even "no, we don't do room service" which would have been more honest! I went and got a takeaway from Ben's Noodle Box by County Hall.

• Stayed October 2013
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear HenryTrafalgar,

Thank you for your review and we’re happy to have served you during the severe weather conditions.

It's unfortunate you changed your mind about our burger, we make a great one! Our waiting times can increase due to high demand...I hope you'll be able to return to enjoy the great service and dining experience from our Room Service team.

Assuring you of our best attention at all times

Guildford, Surrey, UK
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We are just coming to the end of our stay at the WPP -a 50th birthday treat for my husband
Plus a trip to London for our children at half term that I booked 6 months ago and spent upfront just £40 short of £1000 on 2 rooms for 3 nights.. The staff are all very nice so I've no complaints, and it's very central. But there are niggles for me that shouldn't happen in a hotel like this.
I called the hotel the day before to check my requests about adjoining rooms etc had been passed through via Expedia - they hadn't. We've ended up in 2 rooms on the 12th floor looking out onto a void - no daylight, no view of anything and 2 twin bedded rooms. The pool keeps being shut because of over-chlorination, and we are limited to booking slots in it as there are 'over 250 children in the hotel' (is this unusual then, and do only children use the pool?), which is a bit irritating. We don't have bathrobes - we are obviously either not paying enough or not on a lavish corporate loyalty programme, although it feels like everyone else on our floor using the pools does (are they flaunting them deliberately?). There is only one basin in each bathroom and ours doesn't seem to be able together rid of its contents very easily. Breakfast is £21 per person which is extortionate so off we go round the corner to Starbucks. Its a nice hotel but I feel short changed. Natural daylight and a view might have made the difference?

Room Tip: If you can afford it pay for a view.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CooksAway
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear CooksAway,

Following my request dated 30 October 2013, thank you for your booking information.

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your birthday treat for your husband, I am pleased you enjoyed our central location and our hospitality from our team. I am sorry we were not able to recognise your special occasion as this has not been conveyed to us prior to your arrival or during your stay.

I am sorry to note you were unhappy with you room allocation. Regrettably, your rooming request was also not been conveyed to us prior to your arrival.

As you have noted, your confirmed booking was for two Superior rooms, which do not have an external view. We encourage all our guests when booking via third party agents to review our rooming list on the Park Plaza Westminster website to avoid disappointment. I also confirm that bathrobes are available in our Studio and Suites.

I apologise that the pool was not readily available for your use during your stay. At times we may have to close the pool as the Health and Safety of all our guests is always paramount.

I have some great breakfast options for your next visit: we have Illy cafe on the ground floor, serving great Italian coffee and breakfast in a very Starbuck-esk way! We also have Room Service, with no additional tray charge..and of course our great value Executive Lounge. For just £33 per night (single occupancy) or £49 (2 sharing) you can enjoy breakfast, afternoon tea and evening canapés and cocktails.

For your next visit your next for your preferred room type you will need to select a Studio room and for an iconic view its Studio Iconic or One Bedroom Suite Iconic view.

I hope we’ll be able to welcome you back to enjoy the true Park Plaza Westminster Bridge experience.

Birmingham
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Stayed here for my wife's birthday and I have to say it's the worst service experience ever !! We travel all over the world but the service is bad here !!! Arrived at the hotel at an absolutely stunning place with beautiful decor, however, went to check in and they could not find my booking (last minute) even though I had the booking reference !! Eventually after 25 min we were checked in!!! and the girl on the check in desk was so bad I had to keep repeating my name. She was not listening but typing away. Then in the evening we got locked out of our room, went to reception and they re- set the key room (said it was my debit card) which was soon proved wrong !!!! Went up with the re set key and guess what did not work again !!! Called the manager and gave him a real ticking off !!!! Apart from that a beautiful 4 star hotel with 5 star rooms.

• Stayed October 2013
Dear Slybeth4,

I am of course very disappointed and concerned to read your review.

Following my message dated 29 October 2013 requesting your booking information I have yet to receive a response.

I believe I have identified your booking but as I am not 100% sure I am unable to comment freely. However, as noted in your comments, the booking was made out of hours on Saturday evening therefore unfortunately upon check in initially we were not able to locate your booking, but of course we checked you in as swiftly as possible.

Again, I am unable to comment freely regarding the pre-authorisation with your payment card, therefore, please do let me have your booking information and I will be able to investigate and respond accordingly.

Thank you.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on a girls weekend in London, the suite we had was lovely! Great size and furnished very nicely, but more importantly it was very clean. The facilities the room had were very impressive, especially the small 'kitchen' area. Would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay in central London. The hotel is within a five minute walk from Waterloo train and tube station and a few minutes walk over the River Thames to Wesminster tube station, with views from the front of the hotel of Big Ben and the London Eye.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amy R
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Amy R,

Thank you for your review and for adding another 5 star review for our hotel.

My team and I are thrilled you enjoyed your girls weekend with us in our great surroundings and one of our comfy rooms.

Thank you for your recommendation and I hope we can welcome you back again soon.

San diego
Reviewed 27 October 2013

First off I have to say that the hotel Concierge deserves an "Excellent" rating. They reached out while I was in transit to offer a room upgrade and Executive Club Access - both of which we accepted. Kudos to the Concierge Staff.

The room was quite lovely, loved how the seating area was separated by the bathroom. The bed was a good size and very comfortable. Our view was not so great, but did provide the opportunity to see London's on going construction projects. However, even being right across from an active construction site our room was very quiet. Shower was great with plenty of water pressure and hot water. The Executive Club Lounge was worth every Pence! Excellent Staff, food, beverages, drinks and view! We will add this to our reservation from now on. The hotel's location is perfect for walking about the city's centre and for catching the Tube. We ate in the Sushi Bar the first night and had some very good sushi. Note: If you are looking for a casual and good Japanese Noodle restaurant go straight out the front of the hotel, up one block past the convenience store and on the right is a great Noodle place.

Room Tip: Add the Executive Club Access to your reservation. The breakfast is excellent along with the offerin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear SandiegoBethany,

Thank you for your review and recommendation for our hotel.

It’s great to see our team's passion and dedication shining with this great example from our Concierge team, thank you for your kind words. I have shared your comments with the entire team.

I couldn’t agree with you more regarding our great value Executive Lounge, for just £39 per night (2 sharing) you can enjoy a great view, breakfast, afternoon tea and canapés and cocktails in the evening following a busy day sightseeing. Just ask whilst making a booking or checking in and we'll be delighted to add to your future bookings.

We’re pleased you enjoyed Sushi and your stay with us and hope we can welcome you back again soon.