“be aware, be aware... rooms without windows in front of walls...”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #198 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
netherlands
“be aware, be aware... rooms without windows in front of walls...”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

One very unpleasant check-in.
My room was not ready, so I was proposed to wait, normal. I was told when ready, I would be texted on my tel. It never happened!!
Then I got my room, I could not believe it. There was no view at all.... It was a box in front of a wall.... No window... Do not be claustrophobic, this is very bad. I must say it was never particularly mentionned on the booking process, via their website. Anyway, who can think this exists!! Or that we can sell those rooms. You will think it was a cheap price, not even so.

What I am not happy, especially for the expensive rate at ca 500 euro the stay, when I mentioned to get another room, even a lower range, at the reception, no real alternative was proposed other than upgrading at my own cost...
I must say than never in the booking process, it is mentioned, that when you book, you will get a box....

Room: the so-called superior room is a standard one. Quite dark cell. You can not see any day light... Even prisoners have a small windows...
In the room, No Expresso machine, just coffee powder or tea.
No complimentary water in the room.
Worst: you can hear too other neighboured rooms. How come it has not been properly made sound proof!! Not acceptable at this level of hotel.
Another strange thing: there is large woman face of 2x2m designed on the dressing doors. Nice... However, once lights are off, it looks pretty scary: as a ghost face with dark eyes looking at you.... Strange feeling.
Shower: basic, but clean. However its hand shower is linked awkwardly to the wall, limiting its convenient use.

Lobby is very dark, lift area and lifts too. Difficult to identify which lift is available...

TV: impossible to connect your own hard drive with your movies on USB port Some cables are hanging below the TV set...
TV channels: missing international movie channels, e.g. Hbo. No Korean nor Japanese channels...
TV: for movies, you have to pay for viewing some. Not a single one is provided for customers. No DVD reader connected to TV.

Internet is ok, while speed is not fast enough.

There were no bathrobe provided to go out your room at the spa, nor any sleepers provided.
Swimming pool: not enough depth for a proper swim, located in the basement, without any particular decoration. And again no light. Floor around swimming pool needs obvious maintenance. If you go to shower near swimming pool, no hooks for your towels. No towels at the swimming pool, but only in changing room. No drinks provided (only plain till water).

Breakfast: the room has again no windows at all, nor view. Nor daylight... Another box. How can architects approve such concepts...
As for the buffet, it is the standard one you can expect from everywhere.
The second day, I asked to have a table with some daylight and view, and I had to kindly insist, three times, with three different waiter ladies welcome me firmly, as a second class citizen, to go elsewhere.
In addition, thee was a queue of a dozen customers for breakfast. Capacity is not there.

At check out: a very quick not warm process without any word of attention, nor simply asking if your stay was ok.

Therefore, I will not recommend this hotel, one of the worst, price/value/service/room taken into consideration, of the past 88 countries visited.

Room Tip: be aware, be aware... rooms without windows in front of walls...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank camok
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear camok,

Thank you for your detailed review, however, I’m sorry to note you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Without knowing your booking details I am unable to comment freely, however, we encourage all guests to review our room types which is clearly listed on our website. When bookings are made via the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge guests are given the various rates for the different room types and a review of the selected rate and room type prior to confirmation and payment (where applicable).

As per our website, our entry level Superior room do not have an external view, for a future visit you will need to select a Studio or higher category room. Also, please note that bath robes and slippers are in our Studio and Suites.

I’m sorry our hotel was not to your liking and that your breakfast experience was not commensurate with our usual service.

Although you state you will not be returning I hope we have the opportunity to serve you better in the future.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,315)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We have stayed at this hotel a few times it's always amazing staff are second to none and I have stayed at all the best hotels in London the spa is a massive bonus to this hotel my kids love it and also one of the few hotels in London that cater for 2 adults 3 children rooms are huge prices are very reasonable had room service loads during our stay amazing value for money and great food location is great just wish I could book it for this new year :(

• Stayed December 2013
Thank you for your amazing review Lolly220479, my team and I are delighted that you and your family continue to enjoy your stay with us.

You are all always welcome and we look forward to welcoming you back for another amazing stay.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is a fantastic, modern hotel in a superb location across Westminster Bridge facing the Houses of Parliament. Rooms are ultra modern and luxurious and are very well equipped. The hotel is very convenient for the London Eye, the South Bank and waterloo station. The bar area is very chic and trendy, but drinks are rather expensive. Would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Cheaper rooms have windows looking into the inner atrium, don't expect a view of Big Ben unless...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review and recommendation northerngirl_07, I hope we can welcome you back again on your next visit to London.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Park Plaza is ideally located right at the end of Westminster Bridge. We booked a basic room with an internal view and were offered an upgrade to a room with an unobstructed view of Big Ben for a very reasonable price when we arrived. We were glad we took it, the view was amazing and the room was spacious and clean, the bar area in the room with a sink, mini bar and water / wine glasses was also good to have. Room service was fast and tasty and the staff were extremely helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Gabeliz,

Thank you for adding your 5 star review for our hotel.

Glad you enjoyed one of our comfy and spacious rooms with a view and our friendly team.

I hope we’ll be able to welcome you again on your next visit to London.

South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Chose the Park Plaza based on its amenities, location, and great reviews, and could not have been happier! The pool and gym were fabulous after a full day of sightseeing, and the room had every amenity we could have asked for. Special thanks to the fabulous concierge staff!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Pottsandcompany
Loved everything about your review Pottsandcompany!

Thanks for sharing your great experience on TA and for your kind words for our Concierge team.

Sheffield, United Kingdom

Wonderful experience!
Superb service, food and attention to detail, perfectly situated for a weekend break.
As I’m a Yorkshire lad born and raised I found the food and drinks to be little on the steep side as you would expect from a London hotel but still worth every penny.
Will be returning

Room Tip: Superior Double Room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
Thanks for your review peter b, what a pleasure to read that you had such a wonderful experience with us and that you will be returning.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2014

To make a long story short, I traveled from the US for a week in London, and despite many prior successful apartment rentals, my friends and I had one of those horrific experiences where we could not stay in the place we paid a lot of $$$ for.

Fast forward me frantically trying to find a place with running water... and I knew about the Park Plaza from a previous trip. Booked a room that could sleep 4 (I have to admit we were nervous if it could really sleep 4), and we headed over.

Walking in the front door was like a breath of fresh air. I can't quite describe the feeling we got as we erased the hellish night from before with the lobby decor. The room was just as good. A pull out couch with a TV in its own alcove, nice bathroom (running water!!) and a great bed with a second TV. It's exactly what we needed. The bar area was great too since we expected to have a full kitchen at our apartment, we were glad to have a sink and glasses for wine etc.

We had breakfast every morning at the hotel (got a deal for this). It was a nice selection though I am not sure if I would pay extra for it. The location was great as well, although it is definitely in the more touristy parts of London. The Westminster tube station is just down the street and you get a really iconic view of the London Eye as you walk over to it, so perhaps there is something to be said about staying in the touristy parts of the city.

I also really appreciated the extra plugs for US adaptors, saved us from having to share our one converter. I would stay here again for sure, although I am still hoping to redeem our apartment rental experience in London, so maybe on my shorter visits, as it is a pit pricey.

I would recommend staying here on first visits to London. It is perfect for the first-time traveler.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thanks for your review StellaCO and I’m pleased we were able to salvage your trip for you with one of our spacious, well equipped and comfy rooms.

Now you know where we are I hope we’ll be able to welcome you back in the near future.

Remember, we offer the Best Rate Online Guaranteed, subject to terms and conditions, so do register via the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge website to receive our newsletter with great offers and promotions.