“Like staying in a cave”

Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London
Ranked #192 of 1,077 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a big dissapointment. It is very dark and gloomy everywhere. Our first room was bad. It overlooked the atrium lounge and when we opened our curtains people were drinking coffee outside our windows. No natural light. We complained and moved to another room which was even worse. This room just faced onto an atrium wall and you could not see at all without putting on full room lights. We were eventually moved to the executive floor but still facing onto the atrium. With only a small amount of light. The corridors are so dark it is difficult to see the room numbers on the doors. The rooms are very clean but lacked basics. No mirror above the dressing table to do your make up and terrible lighting so you ended going out looking like aunt sally!! Breakfast very busy. Ended up waiting 30 mins for cold eggs and waffles. We went to the bar for drinks and the only free table needed clearing from customers before. The waitress cleared away and used the previous customers dirty napkin to wipe the table with. Disgusting. Only after I told her did she go and get a spray and paper towel to clean it properly. There are many better hotels to stay in london. If you do decide to stay here make sure you do not have an atrium facing room.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank TammyWilts
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear TammyWilts,

Thank you for your review, however, I’m sorry our hotel was not your liking.

We encourage all guests to review our room type listing on the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge website to ensure they select their preferred room type to avoid disappointment. For your next booking you will need to select a Studio or higher room category for an external facing view.

I’m sorry to read of your experience in the bar this is very usual and unheard of. I have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage Director and we shall be speaking with the team to ensure this practice does not happen.

Thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This was the second time that I stayed at this hotel and I must say it was much better the second time round. As I was staying on business both times my reservation and consent forms had been sent through to the hotel but the first time they claim they never received it.

This meant that I had a very irate hour or so trying to get the forms faxed back through to them. However on this occasion, much better! It went by with ease!

The rooms are just fantastic. Very spacious, beds are extremely comfy and just overall a really lovely hotel. it is right next to all the tourist places such as Parliament, the London Eye etc. Great hotel, lovely staff :)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank DYoung28

Amazing review, thank you DYoung28, great to have you with us again and delighted you experienced a better check in experience.

I hope we’ll be able to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The Hotel's location is very near the places of interest in London and a walk along the Queen's Walk will allow to reach all icons of the city including the Parliament House, Big Ben, London Eye, The Trafalgar Square, Tower Bridge, Buckingham Palace, St Paul's Cathedral and many others. It is very near the Waterloo Train Station and Westminster Station for travel outside the city and the tube. We booked the Iconic View room which gives you unobstructed view of the Parliament House and the Big Ben. Breakfast at Brasserie Joël was good enough. Hotel security needs to be improved specially in guest access to the rooms.
I would recommend this hotel for first timers in London who wants to have a walking tour of the city.

Room Tip: Book the Iconic View rooms.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Joel D,

Thank you for your review, we’re pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and our amazing iconic views and great transportation links to the city.

I am of course concerned about your comment regarding security, as per my message dated 19 June 2014, please do let me have the details of what your concerns are.

Thank you for recommendation.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

I stayed here one night at the end of a tour. Reservations were completed and keys ready upon our arrival. The room was an inner one overlooking an atrium. It was a single room with two single beds. The bed was comfortable and the quilt was not too hot. The room was quite spacious and was air conditioned. In the bathroom was a bath and a separate shower. The hotel is only a short distance to several of the local sights such as Big Ben, The London Eye and the Thames. It is definitely a hotel that I will stay at if I return to London.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ray F

Thank you for your review and recommendation Ray F, we are delighted you enjoyed one of our comfy rooms and our great location.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Was here in January for business and loved it. Came back in May for pleasure and enjoyed it even more!! Great location, modern, comfortable, well-appointed rooms with great bathrooms and comfy beds. Customer service was great and it's the best breakfast in town! They have a great bar/lounge that serves coffee/tapas during the day with live music in the evenings. Prices are very reasonable, especially for the quality of the hotel. This was our third hotel during our trip and it was the most restful and most fun. Also appreciated the numerous tv channel options, which has not been common during our trip (after a long day of sight-seeing we enjoy lounging about with a cocktail before we go out again).

Within walking distance to many tourist attractions, restaurants and bars. They also have two fantastic restaurants in the event you would like to stay in one night. I can honestly say that this is one of my favorite hotels (and I travel a lot for work and pleasure) and I recommend to everybody.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Greta V,

Thank you for your review and for choosing our hotel for your leisure stay.

We’re delighted you continue to enjoy our hospitality and hope you’ll be returning to us soon.

Thank you for your recommendation.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Beautiful hotel, good location, friendly staff. We loved London, also. Rooms are great, spacious and inviting. The staff brought a plate of chocolates to our room to welcome us. It was just lovely to stay there.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review and recommendation MICHAEL S, we’re pleased you enjoyed our great location and spacious rooms.

I hope we can welcome you again soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

One very unpleasant check-in.
My room was not ready, so I was proposed to wait, normal. I was told when ready, I would be texted on my tel. It never happened!!
Then I got my room, I could not believe it. There was no view at all.... It was a box in front of a wall.... No window... Do not be claustrophobic, this is very bad. I must say it was never particularly mentionned on the booking process, via their website. Anyway, who can think this exists!! Or that we can sell those rooms. You will think it was a cheap price, not even so.

What I am not happy, especially for the expensive rate at ca 500 euro the stay, when I mentioned to get another room, even a lower range, at the reception, no real alternative was proposed other than upgrading at my own cost...
I must say than never in the booking process, it is mentioned, that when you book, you will get a box....

Room: the so-called superior room is a standard one. Quite dark cell. You can not see any day light... Even prisoners have a small windows...
In the room, No Expresso machine, just coffee powder or tea.
No complimentary water in the room.
Worst: you can hear too other neighboured rooms. How come it has not been properly made sound proof!! Not acceptable at this level of hotel.
Another strange thing: there is large woman face of 2x2m designed on the dressing doors. Nice... However, once lights are off, it looks pretty scary: as a ghost face with dark eyes looking at you.... Strange feeling.
Shower: basic, but clean. However its hand shower is linked awkwardly to the wall, limiting its convenient use.

Lobby is very dark, lift area and lifts too. Difficult to identify which lift is available...

TV: impossible to connect your own hard drive with your movies on USB port Some cables are hanging below the TV set...
TV channels: missing international movie channels, e.g. Hbo. No Korean nor Japanese channels...
TV: for movies, you have to pay for viewing some. Not a single one is provided for customers. No DVD reader connected to TV.

Internet is ok, while speed is not fast enough.

There were no bathrobe provided to go out your room at the spa, nor any sleepers provided.
Swimming pool: not enough depth for a proper swim, located in the basement, without any particular decoration. And again no light. Floor around swimming pool needs obvious maintenance. If you go to shower near swimming pool, no hooks for your towels. No towels at the swimming pool, but only in changing room. No drinks provided (only plain till water).

Breakfast: the room has again no windows at all, nor view. Nor daylight... Another box. How can architects approve such concepts...
As for the buffet, it is the standard one you can expect from everywhere.
The second day, I asked to have a table with some daylight and view, and I had to kindly insist, three times, with three different waiter ladies welcome me firmly, as a second class citizen, to go elsewhere.
In addition, thee was a queue of a dozen customers for breakfast. Capacity is not there.

At check out: a very quick not warm process without any word of attention, nor simply asking if your stay was ok.

Therefore, I will not recommend this hotel, one of the worst, price/value/service/room taken into consideration, of the past 88 countries visited.

Room Tip: be aware, be aware... rooms without windows in front of walls...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank camok

Dear camok,

Thank you for your detailed review, however, I’m sorry to note you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Without knowing your booking details I am unable to comment freely, however, we encourage all guests to review our room types which is clearly listed on our website. When bookings are made via the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge guests are given the various rates for the different room types and a review of the selected rate and room type prior to confirmation and payment (where applicable).

As per our website, our entry level Superior room do not have an external view, for a future visit you will need to select a Studio or higher category room. Also, please note that bath robes and slippers are in our Studio and Suites.

I’m sorry our hotel was not to your liking and that your breakfast experience was not commensurate with our usual service.

Although you state you will not be returning I hope we have the opportunity to serve you better in the future.