“Welcoming hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Welcoming hotel”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Very helpful staff, excellent location and really good facilities. Would recommend eating in the hotel, particularly in the Sushi and Joel restaurants. Very accommodating for the family (out child is 10 years old and was very welcome in both the bar and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Park Plaza Hotels

ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Joanna P,

Thank you for taking the time to post a great recommendation on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read you and your family enjoyed Ichi sushi bar and Brasserie Joel, I have shared your kind comments with the team.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you all back to the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge on your next visit to London.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,330)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Westminster, CO
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I think I am getting jaded in my old age. But for the price we paid for this hotel, which was hefty even by London standards, I guess I expected a somewhat more luxurious hotel.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice. The location absolutely can't be beat. We were in the heart of a fantastic area - right across from Big Ben and Westminster Abbey and next to the London Eye, a block away from the biggest train / metro station in London, and right in the middle of a fantastic restaurant / pub area along the walking path of the Thames River. The rooms were NICE - they were clean, and decorated in a very modern, nouveau style. The breakfast room was great and well stocked. We liked the bar area and spent quite a bit of time there; the bartenders were very friendly and helpful (although of course it wasn't cheap, but I didn't expect that either). The wifi service was excellent and came with our room.

For the price we paid, though, I was just a bit disappointed in some of the smaller details of the hotel. The bed was a bit saggy and uncomfortable, and had hard corners in the base that stuck out, which I hit my shin on EVERY TIME I walked by them because I couldn't avoid them. The housekeeping staff always seemed to forget to stock something in our room, be it towels, tea service, etc. When I called down to ask for a pillow and a blanket, they said that a) they didn't carry blankets (WTF?), and b) they promptly forgot to bring the pillow anyway. When I talked to the concierge for a dinner recommendation, asking for a good pub nearby, he practically insisted I try an Italian restaurant nearby instead, and seemed miffed that I didn't want to go there. He seemed to have no idea where a good pub was, and finally reluctantly gave us directions to one that was nearby when I insisted that's what we wanted. The front desk staff, though friendly, seemed like they were all relatively new and inexperienced. And the rooms, although nicely decorated and clean, were really strange because there were no out-facing windows - there was a window, yes, but it was dark and just faced another darkened room across the way. They made space for the hotel by building the rooms facing each other directly across a sort of Atrium. I kind of felt like I was in a nicely decorated prison cell.

All minor details, yes... but it kind of adds up when you're travelling, and as I said, for the price we paid, I did expect a bit better. I don't think I would stay there again, but I can't say you shouldn't - we enjoyed our stay there and there was nothing super wrong - just the smaller details I expected were lacking.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, a room with a view facing the city would be better.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
ParkPlazaWestminster, Manager at Park Plaza Westminster Bridge London, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear female_wanderer,

Thank you for your review and for choosing our hotel for your stay.

We’re pleased you enjoyed our location and overall experience with us but I understand your frustration and agree a number of minor issues can add up.

Thank you for your feedback which I have shared with my senior management time to ensure these areas receive the necessary attention and improvement.

Sounds like you were in a Superior room which is our entry level rooms and they do not have external facing windows. For your next visit you will need to select Studio room and for an iconic view its Studio iconic or One bedroom iconic.

I appreciate your recommendation to our future guests and hope that we’ll be able to welcome you back too in the not so distant future.

Regards,
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I have stayed here twice now once with my boyfriend and the other with my sister. Both times i have upgraded to a superior room, because having a view is part of the experience right?
The views of Big Ben are amazing, and you can see the london eye from some windows. The hotel itself is very modern, they have a little coffee shop at the front which is nice and different to just going to the hotel restaurant. The staff are great also, and help you with everything you need. I went to the bar one night and had the most amazing cocktails, if you also tell them what spirits/ liqueurs you like they will make a drink up for you. Every night there entertainment; we watched the blues band and they were absolutely amazing, a really lovely night.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room- you want a good view !
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle L
Dear Michelle L,

Thank you for your review and for adding another 5* review for our hotel.

What a pleasure to read your comments and naturally I have shared them with the entire team and it is proving to be a real tonic in our continued efforts to ensure a great experience is enjoyed by all our guests.

Thank you for your continued loyalty and it would be our pleasure to welcome you back again soon.

Regards,
UK
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We were upgraded to the next level up, we were allocated a double room and had to go back down and change again. The second room was a twin, as requested and they honoured the upgrade so can't comment on a basic internal view room. We were given a room with a small living room, bathroom and a bedroom with 2 beds and an external window. The facilities were very nice, however I was surprised to see the shower tray had a big crack in it. We didn't use the living room and would have preferred bigger beds. The beds were comfy enough, but no bigger than a single. Nice decoration, etc.
The hotel is huge, there always seemed to be a queue at check in no matter what time you went past. Excellent door staff who would always get us a taxi. The location is great as well, would stay again if it wasn't too expensive!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Traveller77_10,

I am delighted to read we were able to upgrade you to one of our studio twin rooms, I hope that our engineering team were able to resolve the crack in the shower tray and it didn’t cause too much of an inconvenience to your stay.

As an incredibly busy operation, we naturally encounter some peak periods during such a busy day, Please be assured that a significant amount of analysis is performed in order to identify these busy periods, and ensure that the staffing levels reflect this. I have shared your comments with the Reception manager for her consideration.

Thank you for your kind comments about the door staff, I am glad they were able to assist you during your stay. Don’t forget we offer the Best Online Rate Guaranteed, subject to terms and conditions. Just visit the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge website for more details and also to register to receive our newsletter, then you’ll be kept up to date with future offers and promotions.

I do hope we will be able to welcome you back to the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge in the near future.

Canberra
Reviewed 8 August 2014

We have stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks as we did not want to keep changing hotels. Overall, it is a great hotel. The rooms are large and very comfortable. Service is very good and the location is fantastic - just across the river from the Houses of Parliament.

A few negatives. The hotel has meeting and convention rooms and sometimes the bar area is overwhelmed by the people from these. The bar service is a bit "iffy" - I have been ignored while writing this. Sometimes you see your drink sitting on the bar for 5 or minutes before being brought to you.

Bar food is predictable and boring. The restaurants are Japanese and ? mixed? Steak is hit and miss - mine was very fatty and not well cooked. It is expensive but so is London.

Room Tip: All seem good. We had a "superior" room with "no view" but it was excellent. So...
Green Features: Don't know. Don't really care beyond the choice to re-use towels.
1 Thank Robert K
Dear Robert K,

Thank you for your detailed review on your recent stay at the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay.

I would like to apologise that your experience in the bar was less than satisfying and not up to our normal service standard, I have shared your comments with the team and they are disappointed with the impression you have of them. Yes you are correct we have our Ichi sushi bar and the Brasserie Joel, which is a French concept. I trust that the restaurant teams were able to rectify your steak and you enjoyed the rest of your evening.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge on your next visit to London.

Phoenix, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2014

An excellent hotel from the point of view of the facilities, rooms, bars, etc with the exception of the Brasserie Joel and the general staff attitudes. If you are American, then be attentive to personal animosities generated from staff members particularly serving staff when they are requested to either correct an incorrect order or replace a drink delivered but not as ordered. They become combative and will retire muttering and grumbling.

3 Thank John C
Dear John C,

Thank you for your review and positive comments about the facilities. I am sorry to note that your experience In Brassiere Joel was not to standard, I trust that the incorrect order of drinks was rectified and the rest of your evening was enjoyable. I have shared your comments with the team and they too are disappointed that this the impression you have of them.

I do hope we’ll have the opportunity to welcome you back and we look forward to providing an improved service.

Benalmádena, Andalucia, Spain
Reviewed 8 August 2014

It was very good stay. I will repeat ones more for the next ocasion: good ubication, high cuality of the hotel, good prices, nice staff, efficient services. The rooms are quite big and nice. Breakfast good.

Dear Andranik P,

Thank you very much indeed for the lovely review. I am so glad you had a very good stay with us. I really do hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge in the not too distant future.