“Poor for parking - no idea for business stays” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The William IV

The William IV
Ranked #310 of 567 London B&B and Inns
“Poor for parking - no idea for business stays”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I needed to be in London for work at short notice We needed to drive so specifically called the hotel to ask about parking.
We were told there was street car parking so we decided to book.
On arrival we found max stay was 2 hours, at a price of £4. When we asked the hotel about the parking situation again, they advised to keep putting a new £4 ticket in the car every 2 hours throughout the day, we were staying for three days!!
This really should be specified on the website or up-front when we called, as we wouldn't have booked the hotel. In the end we had to arrange for the car to be parked in a secure car park elsewhere which was a such inconvenience.

Our room was small, very basic, really hot, and had a really bad smell (as described by another guest in a previous review). The walls were paper thin so we spent the first night being forced to listen to the couple next door who were particularly loud throughout the night (not ideal when travelling for work).

The hotel is not manned as far as we could tell, out of hours so when we needed 1) an ironing board 2) extra pillows (they were especially poor) there was no option of getting these until the next day.

Another annoyance, there was also no do not disturb sign and the housekeepers are extremely keen to get into your room. On the final day the check out time was 11:00 I was getting a knock at the door every 10 mins from housekeeping so they could get in and clean, which again when your trying to get work done wasn't great.

The price for London was quite good, however I'd not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Katie H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Norfolk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

Me and my wife had booked the Will IV through laterooms.com. We had tickets for the Eminem concert in Wembley and Will IV looked like the right place to stay as it was only 15 minutes away from the stadium. We had a very warm welcoming when we arrived , the room was very tastefully decorated and overall pretty clean. Later that evening when we arrived back from Wembley, the pub area was pretty busy and the volume of the music wasn't that bad as we were a bit worried after reading some reviews, it was mentioned on the website though but getting to our room we realised that it wasn't a big deal as we could barely hear anything. It didn't stop us from having a good night sleep. Breakfast was good, not cooked though but made up for it with the big variety of things they had to offer. We then wanted to look around central London and the guy at reception advised us to buy an all day travel card and use the underground transportation if we wanted to save time on traveling. 10 minutes to Oxford Circus and aprox. 15 minutes to Westminster where all the attractions are. Best value for money and very pleased with the overall stay. Would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Room 12 was an executive double. Massive bed and sun all around!!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

We were travelling in London through a travel agency that booked us to stay here. It was terrible. Our room looked NOTHING like any of the pictures. Our shower only had hot water so we took scalding hot showers and the room smelled like a toilet. We figured out that if we kept the toilet lid shut, it reduced the smell.

On Friday and Saturday nights the William IV is also a club and so there will be loud music blasting until 2 or 3am.

It is also very far from central London. You'll be about a 30-45 minute bus or tube ride from any of the main attractions.

Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sarah K

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2014

This truly is a hidden gem, its located along a quite road. The service from the members of staff, the bar is a plus, the rooms are spacious, clean and newly refurbished. We really enjoyed our stay once again and we will be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Denise F
Il Gzira, Malta
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

It was a rainy night. I had advised the personnel through email that I would arrive late evening (it was 9pm), but never received a reply once my deposit had been cashed in. After long hours travelling, I finally reached the guest house only to find it completely barricaded. So I tried knocking on the door of the bar next door which was pitch dark except for an extremely dim light inside. Upon peeping I spotted 2 hooded men who mocked me from indoors and a man and woman sitting on the other side looking awfully pale. I was left standing in the rain for 5 minutes when I mimed a 'please open'. One of the men squashed his face to the glass and laughed. Suddenly he opened the door and tried to grab my luggage. I pulled it back and ran off in the rain at night. After all this, I tried contacting them but never received any form of reply, let alone an apology. I also contacted their paypal eviivo, with whom I left my deposit, wrote letters to Brian [--], but nobody EVER replied. Obviously, I lost my deposit and had to spend a fortune for a last minute hotel. Disgusting!

Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Cinzia G
bm202, Manager at The William IV, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
First of all, I would like to apologise on behalf of William IV for the negative experience this guest felt they had with us, and as the manager working that evening I would especially like to apologise to to this guest that they did not feel welcome here at William IV, and would like to reassure you that this is not in any shape or form how we aim to treat our guests.

Our reception was open that evening to the public, and at the time of the guests arrival I was behind the reception talking to 2 customers, a male and female who were also staying with us at the hotel. None of the customers inside or myself were wearing ‘hoods’ as claimed, I was wearing a black shirt as always. The gentleman I was serving opened the door to go outside for a cigarette when he noticed the guest stood outside in the rain, several meters from the door with a suite case. He naturally assumed they had just arrived and were here for the hotel, and politely offered to come in to the shelter, held the door open and gestured towards me. Neither myself nor any of the customers made any attempt to touch the guest or their luggage. The guest did not move towards the door, but instead picked up their luggage and hurried off away from the premises, and I received no emails or phone calls regarding this matter for the remainder of the evening.

Here at William IV we strive to treat our guests with warmth and respect and make every guest feel at home during their stay. Had this guest entered the building, they would have been welcomed politely, shown to their room and offered the chance to relax before our open fireplace for a drink with some of our other hotel guests, who were all having a very pleasant and relaxing evening.

Once again I apologise that this guest felt they had a negative experience with us here at William IV as this is not at all how I want our guests to feel, and hope that this guest will perhaps one day give us the opportunity to show the friendly and professional William IV experience we strive for.

William IV
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I stayed here on a Monday night. The pub itself was closed, which was a relief given the other reviews I'd read. The guy on reception told me it was a busy week that week, so I think I may have been lucky. No noise at all for me, save the ambient noise of the occasional car passing. If you're planning to stay here, it's well worth checking whether they've any bookings as they host up to 500 people at a time. And I don't imagine it'd be quiet from Thursday to Saturday night, but I obviously can't say for sure as I haven't tried it out.

The bedroom itself wasn't huge but it was big enough for me and well-appointed for the price. Could have done with some shampoo as I'm used to it being provided, but there was soap, clean towels and linen. The lighting is a little "romantic" for a working trip, not ideal for sitting at the table with your laptop. But it would work well for most people's purposes.

The guy on the desk was friendly and very helpful. And breakfast and wi-fi are included, which is a bonus.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank R B
Smethwick, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2014

My partner booked for us to stay here from Friday 28th Feb 2014 till 3rd March as a surprise weekend away. We were only booked in to stay till sunday night but enjoyed it so much we booked till the Monday.

The hotel was easy to find and literally a 5 minute walk from Kensal Green Underground Station. It took us just 15 minutes on the underground to get to Oxford Circus.

On first arrival we were greeted with a welcoming member of staff who quickly booked us into our room and explained that there was a disco on till 2am that night which didnt bother us as both myself & my partner planned in attending anyway. However we were given one of the top rooms so it wasnt as noisy. That night we could hear the disco but it wasnt loud enough to keep us awake and we were asleep for about 12.30 with the disco still going.

The room we were in was small but nicely decorated. We had tea/coffee etc and maid service everyday that cleaned the rooms , put new towels in etc.

The only downside was that a bulb had gone in the lamp and there was only one pillow which my partner found uncomfortable. This was easily dealt with though by simply asking at breakfast the next morning for the items.

Breakfast was toast, meats, croissants, various yoghurts, jams and cereals etc with the usual breakfast drinks which was nice.

We ate in the bar on the first night and the food was beautiful and the atmosphere was lovely. Also the 15% discount due to being a guest at the hotel was great! Sunday evening the pub shut at 8pm, myself & my partner had been into Chinatown for something to eat and got back at about 9.15 which the barman said he was happy to serve us as guests even though he had just turned off all the fires and lights which we thought was really nice of him.

Overall we really enjoyed the atmosphere, the rooms, the attitudes of all the staff and the location. If you are looking for city centre standard luxury then this is probably not the place for you, having said that if you are just looking for a decently priced, nice, friendly weekend away that is not far from the husttle and bustle of main london, then i would certainly recommend this hotel. It has good transport links into London centre so for the price you pay in the centre compared to the 15 mins it takes to get on the underground, its well worth a visit!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple