“Wonderful”

Ranked #389 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Doha
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The W hotel is fun, funky, modern and a great place to stay. The bedrooms are big for a London hotel, and very open and light creating the impression of even more space. The reception and bar area are hip and trendy, but remain welcoming and warm. The location is impressively close to Soho (we wouldnt expect anything less from this hotel), and conveniently located for all other major sightseeing and shopping locations. The customer service was fantastic - the people that we dealt with genuinely cared about their job and the guests. and the attention to detail was phenomenal. We love the W.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DohaBikerj
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Dear Doha Biker,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very happy to hear that you loved your stay.

It’s great that you loved our central location and friendly staff.

Please come back again soon.

Warm Regards,
Kevin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (496)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea

What a poor service...
Fitness club: few running machines and dumbbells can't be called fitness club
Spa: dry sauna and steam sauna was out of order during the weekend
Room: middle of the night room light system was broken so engineer came to room and fix up it takes 20mins....
Lounge club : compare to other W , It's shame...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Alex,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry that your experience was not more positive on this occasion.

I am sorry to hear that the equipment in the gym was not up to a standard which you were expecting.

Please also accept my sincere apologies that the sauna and wet room was out of order; and for the issues with your lighting. I have launched a full investigation into this with our Engineering department in order to prevent a reoccurance of these issues.

If you would like to discuss any of these matters further please let me know.

Warm Regards,
Kevin Rockey
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2011

It’s a W after all and it was exactly what I expect from a W hotel as far as attitude and surroundings, but for everything else, you might as well throw your money away. As an SPG gold member, this is the 5th W hotel I’ve stayed at and unfortunately (even though this is the newest one) it’s the most disappointing. I stayed there for 3 nights in August of 2011 with my wife and two kids (I know I know, it’s not really a family hotel), but thought the kids will get a kick of a different type of hotel.

The good: Hip, trendy, very clean, good location (for me at least, Leicester Sq. is a super buys location, almost like times Sq., but I like that)… the usual. For the single people out there, the bar on the second floor is a great pick up place and you better dress up in some kind of cheesy and wild fashion (both, for men and women that is)....

The bad: Rooms are super small, high tech and “funky”, which takes me to the impractical point… light themes, motion sensors, sinks in the middle of the room counter… etc. spent a good deal trying to figure out the light switches ( and trust me I am a tech junkie), until I gave up and called maintenance, they came and lights had to be reset from the main panel, happened twice over our stay. Light senor in bathroom was not working; they came to fix it THREE times, with no luck. If you want to shave (for the men I mean), you‘ll need to use the only sink in the room (a small shallow sink on the counter in the middle of the room) looking at a 10 inch round mirror… I can keep going, but the point is that they truly messed up the balance between cool and practice

The Ugly: I was booked in a cool corner suite, connected with a single room (for the kids); it was not available, so instead I ended up in two connecting rooms. I was assured a manager would call me the next day to move me or figure this out, never heard from anyone. They offered me “free water” but I get that anyway as an SPG gold member.

Room Tip: Don't touch the mini bar drinks, unless you plan on paying for them. No joke, each drink sits o...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank SinanInNYC
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Stayed there for a weekend early September. This is just a really cool and hip hotel. The rooms are modern, light with fancy gadgets and great attention to detail. The gym is one of the best I have ever found in a city hotel. The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of London and close to all major sightseeing and shopping areas. What makes this hotel great is that the guys from the welcome desk are really friendly, personable and fun. Loved staying there, will go back and definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a young and hip hotel in London.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear NJC84_5,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us.

I’m glad to hear that you loved our central location , our Sweat gym and our friendly staff.

See you next time.

Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 14 September 2011

A factual account of our stay at the W London.

Towards the end of June this year, three of us arrived at 3:30pm (for a 2pm check-in) and were made to wait between 45 mins to 2 hours. I was the last to get a room a little after 2 hours, though I was offered a complimentary beverage from the bar a little after an hour and thirty minutes which I politely declined.

Later in the day, my debit card used as a security deposit for my room was run for 4000 GBP though the room was paid for in full. Unknown to me, at about the same time my colleague was handing over a designer suit for dry cleaning.

The next morning when I brought up the issue of the wrong billing, the manager on duty (English chap) seemed unwilling to even accept responsibility that a mistake was made. He seemed least interested in hearing me out or willing to help. Finally, he conceded that maybe there was an error by the bank (NOT the hotel) when I mailed him a copy of the SMS received from my bank showing the debit. He then reluctantly agreed to speak to the bank and reverse the charges. Little did I know, a bigger surprise lurked around the corner.

Later in the evening, two things happened:
1) I got another SMS from my bank that a further 4000 GBP was debited this time from an airport hotel (part of the same group as the W Hotel).
2) My colleague's designer suit went missing and no one at the hotel seemed to have a clue.

Needless to say, I had to block my card completely and my colleague had to buy a new suit in order to attend to our business meetings. There wasn't a single 'Sorry, we realize we made a mistake OR It's our fault, we'll do whatever we can'. There wasn't even a single attempt made by the hotel to compensate our sufferings.

The best that the hotel could come up with was 'We have ISO systems and it must be the bank and we have no idea why' while my colleague was told 'all our laundry is outsourced, so they messed up'. This was after the hotel tried this one 'Our records show that we never collected your suit, though they later found out they did on tape recordings'!

While I took matters in my own hands, and called the Heathrow hotel to reverse the charges, I received updates from their accounts department twice a day who finally established that the monies were in fact debited from the W Hotel. The staff at W did not call or mail me once on developments or what they were doing about my problem during the 5 days I stayed at their hotel. The same English chap (manager on duty) upon my follow up two days later said he'd left me a voice mail to say that he was looking into it (the single voice mail I didn't receive while all others to my room got to me just fine).

I finally had the money reversed (8000 GBP) after a month of my visit (and numerous calls to the bank, and none received from the hotel) and my colleague finally got his replacement suit paid for by the W Hotel (or more likely by the poor laundry).

All in all, this goodbye line at the time of checkout from the W front desk staff sums up the experience:

'I'm sure that you mustn't have had a good time!' was understated yet apt.

Room Tip: Give this hotel a skip unless torture is something you enjoy.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
7 Thank il0ve2travel005
Shropshire, UK
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Stayed on Saturday 10 September in a 'fabulous' room (had a free parade from 'wonderful'. Such a cool, fun hotel, right in the middle of the west end.

The rom is sooo cool and innovative, loved the sink/dressing tabe in the room, the room very very airey... Customer service is amazing... Just fantastic!

Will be coming back!!

Room Tip: Get a high floor for better night's sleep
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 15 September 2011
Dear PM Snowdon,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us regarding your recent stay at W London Leiicester Square. I’m very pleased that you had a great time here.

See you next time.

Baghdad
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This hotel would benefit from spending considerably less time trying to be hip and more time training its staff to a level commensurate with its pricemark. The location is very central and there is not too much noise from the street considering the rowdiness that is Leicester Square. Fees for additional services such as laundry, and even things which shouldn’t be charged for, especially at this pricemark, including internet and parking, are nothing less than exorbitant, although charges for room service were comparatively modest. During a recent stay, staff were noted to be very young and apparently quite inexperienced, even at the managerial level. When posed anything but the most simple of enquiries, they became flustered and were unable to give an answer that inspired any confidence. Instead of offering to find the correct answer, they attempted to fob you off with what they thought sounded best, either because they didn’t want to demonstrate their incompetence or because this was the option which involved least energy expended by them. For instance, a piece of mail never arrived during my stay of over a week, but, having spoken to numerous members of staff about it, I was left with no confidence that any of them knew what system was in place for dealing with guests’ mail, or even if such a system actually existed. Moreover, promises of being called back by the appropriate person never materialised until I went to reception and asked to speak to a manager myself, who then claimed never to have been apprised of the matter. Cleaning standards were definitely subpar, with some days nothing more than a cursory glance over the room having apparently been made by the housekeeping staff. Towels and robes were frequently taken away but not replaced. The bedroom itself was small and noise levels from other rooms and the corridors were disturbingly high. The layout is innovative, the lavatory and rainshower concealed behind mirrored cupboards, washbasin in the middle of the room and wardrobe behind a sliding door, but is awkward and simply doesn’t work. Fancy features such as dimmer lighting and flatscreen TV failed miserably and required frustrating repeated visits from engineers, whilst basic features such as electric blinds, sockets for electric shavers or a kettle were overlooked. A trip to the spa was disappointing, with staff once again displaying a dreary mixture of incompetence and inexperience (the Daily Telegraph’s recent review proved wholly accurate). Gym was clean but next to useless for anything other than cardio. You’d be far better off staying at a Firmdale hotel if you want something central, contemporary and where guests as such rather than irritating interlopers.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christian B
Dear Christian,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very sorry to hear that your experience was not more positive on this occasion.

Please accept my apologies that the service levels in the hotel were not up to the standard which I expect from my team. I can assure you that we are implementing further training in all departments to address the issues raised as soon as possible.

I would also like to apologise for the issues regarding the electrics in your room. I have launched a full investigation to address this within our engineering department.

Once again, please accept my sincere apologies that your stay was not more pleasurable. If you do decide to return please let me know as I would like to personally oversee your reservation.

Warm Regards