“Vibrant part of London”

Ranked #396 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Loudoun County, Virginia
“Vibrant part of London”
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We travel to London at least once a year and try to stay in different Starwood hotels each time just to try them out. This hotel opened about 6 months ago and is right in the center of Leicester Square. I agree with other reviewers in that if you are looking for old world charm England, this is not the hotel for you. A doorman sort of greets you at the door and you walk into a bank of elevators to take you to the first floor where the desks are, bar/club and concierge. The staff at the desks are very friendly, helping us with theater suggestions and any other inquires we had. As others stated, the halls are very dark, club like, but quiet. As my husband is a Gold Member, we were upgraded to the fourth floor. Others complain of noise, we didn't hear any on our floor. Bar/lounge on the first. Room was comfortable, the sink is in the middle of the room which wasn't too bad except the bowl was too shallow and water splashed on the floor which then gets trampled on and it is dirty. I never wear the slippers in a hotel but did use them here as the floor isn't mopped daily or at all while we were there (4 days). The shower is great and the bed comfortable. Bar is packed even on a Monday night. Lots of 30 somethings, girls/guys having a night out. Loud and noisy. If this is your scene then it is perfect. Glad we tried it but think we'll head back to the hotels with "the old world charm" such as Le Meriden on Picadilly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Dear winelvr83,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that the hotel was not more to your liking.

I would like to apologise about the issue with housekeeping in your room. This is not a standard which I deem acceptable and I have launched an investigation into the matter with our department head to resolve this issue.

On a more positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff and were well looked after whilst here.

If you would consider returning please let me know as I would like to oversee your reservation personally.

Kevin Rockey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
jimmhk
Reviewed 17 September 2011

this is a too cool foir school mess.the rooms are show sized with literally nowhere to store clothes, loud noise coming from the pubic areas(they provide earplugs- saying it all) and a staff that is so self regarding as to be almost comical.on check in , DIego carriied on chewng gum while my colleague and I remonstrated about his attitude.On arrival at the room, manoeuvering proved difficult and even a swinging feline would have been cramped.whatever you do, dont waste huge amounts on staying in this overpriced, souped up hostel.

Room Tip: there are only bad rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank jimmhk
Doha
Reviewed 16 September 2011

The W hotel is fun, funky, modern and a great place to stay. The bedrooms are big for a London hotel, and very open and light creating the impression of even more space. The reception and bar area are hip and trendy, but remain welcoming and warm. The location is impressively close to Soho (we wouldnt expect anything less from this hotel), and conveniently located for all other major sightseeing and shopping locations. The customer service was fantastic - the people that we dealt with genuinely cared about their job and the guests. and the attention to detail was phenomenal. We love the W.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DohaBikerj
Dear Doha Biker,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very happy to hear that you loved your stay.

It’s great that you loved our central location and friendly staff.

Please come back again soon.

Kevin
Seoul, South Korea

What a poor service...
Fitness club: few running machines and dumbbells can't be called fitness club
Spa: dry sauna and steam sauna was out of order during the weekend
Room: middle of the night room light system was broken so engineer came to room and fix up it takes 20mins....
Lounge club : compare to other W , It's shame...

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Alex,

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry that your experience was not more positive on this occasion.

I am sorry to hear that the equipment in the gym was not up to a standard which you were expecting.

Please also accept my sincere apologies that the sauna and wet room was out of order; and for the issues with your lighting. I have launched a full investigation into this with our Engineering department in order to prevent a reoccurance of these issues.

If you would like to discuss any of these matters further please let me know.

Kevin Rockey
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 September 2011

It’s a W after all and it was exactly what I expect from a W hotel as far as attitude and surroundings, but for everything else, you might as well throw your money away. As an SPG gold member, this is the 5th W hotel I’ve stayed at and unfortunately (even though this is the newest one) it’s the most disappointing. I stayed there for 3 nights in August of 2011 with my wife and two kids (I know I know, it’s not really a family hotel), but thought the kids will get a kick of a different type of hotel.

The good: Hip, trendy, very clean, good location (for me at least, Leicester Sq. is a super buys location, almost like times Sq., but I like that)… the usual. For the single people out there, the bar on the second floor is a great pick up place and you better dress up in some kind of cheesy and wild fashion (both, for men and women that is)....

The bad: Rooms are super small, high tech and “funky”, which takes me to the impractical point… light themes, motion sensors, sinks in the middle of the room counter… etc. spent a good deal trying to figure out the light switches ( and trust me I am a tech junkie), until I gave up and called maintenance, they came and lights had to be reset from the main panel, happened twice over our stay. Light senor in bathroom was not working; they came to fix it THREE times, with no luck. If you want to shave (for the men I mean), you‘ll need to use the only sink in the room (a small shallow sink on the counter in the middle of the room) looking at a 10 inch round mirror… I can keep going, but the point is that they truly messed up the balance between cool and practice

The Ugly: I was booked in a cool corner suite, connected with a single room (for the kids); it was not available, so instead I ended up in two connecting rooms. I was assured a manager would call me the next day to move me or figure this out, never heard from anyone. They offered me “free water” but I get that anyway as an SPG gold member.

Room Tip: Don't touch the mini bar drinks, unless you plan on paying for them. No joke, each drink sits o...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank SinanInNYC
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 15 September 2011

Stayed there for a weekend early September. This is just a really cool and hip hotel. The rooms are modern, light with fancy gadgets and great attention to detail. The gym is one of the best I have ever found in a city hotel. The hotel is conveniently located in the heart of London and close to all major sightseeing and shopping areas. What makes this hotel great is that the guys from the welcome desk are really friendly, personable and fun. Loved staying there, will go back and definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a young and hip hotel in London.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Dear NJC84_5,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very pleased to hear that you had a great stay with us.

I’m glad to hear that you loved our central location , our Sweat gym and our friendly staff.

See you next time.

Kevin
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 14 September 2011

A factual account of our stay at the W London.

Towards the end of June this year, three of us arrived at 3:30pm (for a 2pm check-in) and were made to wait between 45 mins to 2 hours. I was the last to get a room a little after 2 hours, though I was offered a complimentary beverage from the bar a little after an hour and thirty minutes which I politely declined.

Later in the day, my debit card used as a security deposit for my room was run for 4000 GBP though the room was paid for in full. Unknown to me, at about the same time my colleague was handing over a designer suit for dry cleaning.

The next morning when I brought up the issue of the wrong billing, the manager on duty (English chap) seemed unwilling to even accept responsibility that a mistake was made. He seemed least interested in hearing me out or willing to help. Finally, he conceded that maybe there was an error by the bank (NOT the hotel) when I mailed him a copy of the SMS received from my bank showing the debit. He then reluctantly agreed to speak to the bank and reverse the charges. Little did I know, a bigger surprise lurked around the corner.

Later in the evening, two things happened:
1) I got another SMS from my bank that a further 4000 GBP was debited this time from an airport hotel (part of the same group as the W Hotel).
2) My colleague's designer suit went missing and no one at the hotel seemed to have a clue.

Needless to say, I had to block my card completely and my colleague had to buy a new suit in order to attend to our business meetings. There wasn't a single 'Sorry, we realize we made a mistake OR It's our fault, we'll do whatever we can'. There wasn't even a single attempt made by the hotel to compensate our sufferings.

The best that the hotel could come up with was 'We have ISO systems and it must be the bank and we have no idea why' while my colleague was told 'all our laundry is outsourced, so they messed up'. This was after the hotel tried this one 'Our records show that we never collected your suit, though they later found out they did on tape recordings'!

While I took matters in my own hands, and called the Heathrow hotel to reverse the charges, I received updates from their accounts department twice a day who finally established that the monies were in fact debited from the W Hotel. The staff at W did not call or mail me once on developments or what they were doing about my problem during the 5 days I stayed at their hotel. The same English chap (manager on duty) upon my follow up two days later said he'd left me a voice mail to say that he was looking into it (the single voice mail I didn't receive while all others to my room got to me just fine).

I finally had the money reversed (8000 GBP) after a month of my visit (and numerous calls to the bank, and none received from the hotel) and my colleague finally got his replacement suit paid for by the W Hotel (or more likely by the poor laundry).

All in all, this goodbye line at the time of checkout from the W front desk staff sums up the experience:

'I'm sure that you mustn't have had a good time!' was understated yet apt.

Room Tip: Give this hotel a skip unless torture is something you enjoy.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business