“Perhaps the most stylish hotel in London...in the center of it all...”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #387 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Vancouver, Canada
“Perhaps the most stylish hotel in London...in the center of it all...”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We had a very busy, but short stay at the W Leicester Square for two nights in late Sept. I'm sitting in the Suite typing this Review.

We would rank it right up there with other top W Hotels around the world including W Taipei and W Hong Kong. You feel like you're in the centre of the city (literally) and from a design/luxury perspective.

Reminder that Leicester Square and Picadilly Circus are noisy at the best of times and this is certainly NOT a hotel for those looking for tranqulity and quiet. Also Leicester Square is being renovated for the London 2012 Games, so lots of construction going on during the day. Also Spice Market (the restaurant on ground floor), can be very noisy if there are parties - we were here during Fashion week, so all the gliterati were out in full force.

To that end, the Welcome Manager, Rupa Deora helped to make our stay fabulous. The Lounge was surprisingly intimate and both cool and friendly plus a nice place to take breakfast. The art/design and wonderful books were readily accesible.

If you can afford to stay in the Centre of London, you can't do much better than this hip and young stylish hotel.

Do ask for upgrade to their Suites particularly the Wow Suite which we made wonderful use of.

We will definitely be staying here on our next visit to London.

Room Tip: Ask for the Suites facing Leicester Square...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear Lawrence,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. It is amazing to receive such a glowing review and I am very glad that we are one of your favourite hotels.

I am very happy that you were well looked after by Rupa, our Welcome Office Manager. She is an asset to our team and I know she will be delighted to hear your comments.

It is also great to hear that you loved our fantastic Wow suite and its unique design concept.

We will be looking forward to welcoming you on your next visit to London.

Kevin Rockey

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Never been inside but put off by the bad design of large extractor fans by the entrance which fill the air with the smell of sick. Not very pleasant!

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Jim J
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 September 2011

This is probably the best London Hotel I've stayed in, not only is it the perfect central location, its beautifully designed, chic and luxurious; beautifully appointed rooms with special design touches. I ate in the W lounge, where not only the hotel of unique design but the food is too; precisely presented, which to someone like me makes all the difference.
The design aside, what also makes a hotel is its service; at the W it is exceptional, from greeting to check in the team can’t do enough for you. A special thank you to Jefferson on the door, not only was he welcoming and helpful, later on he guided be perfectly to my meeting point in Central London, he couldn’t do enough for me and ensured he took any stress out of what was an amazing evening in London.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Dear Andrew,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am so pleased to hear that we are your hotel of choice in London.

I am very happy that you loved the hotel's unique design, amazing food and friendly staff. I will pass your comments on to Jefferson and I am sure that he will be very pleased to hear this.

We hope to see you soon.

Surrey UK
Reviewed 18 September 2011

The Hotel is certainly different and probably a love it or hate it place that I suspect primarily appeals to 20 something clubbers with more money than style or sense. It is a dark Hotel that creates a kind of nightclub impression with glitter balls and dark leather padding on the lifts and walls.

The bedroom was an ok size for central London and bed was very comfortable. However, there is no separate bathroom, and the sink is ridiculously located in the middle of the room on a central standing unit that makes the place feel like some sort of weird kitchen! The sound insulation from the corridors is poor and you can clearly hear what people are saying as they walk outside your room.

The W may be worth trying once, but the Soho Hotel off Dean Street or Goring in Victoria are a lot more classy, comfortable and better value

1 Thank J-P_Surrey
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 27 September 2011
Dear JP,

Thank you for sharing your recent feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry that you did not have a more positive experience on this occasion.

I do realise that the room design is unusual and not to everyone’s taste. However, it was designed with the comfort of the guest in mind and to utilise space in the room.

If you would like to discuss any of these points further I would be more than happy for you to contact me directly.

Shelton, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 September 2011

We are SPG gold members and stayed with points. We made a long trip to the UK to drop my stepson for one semester at U of Central Lancashire and we only had time to stay for 2 nights and fly back to the states. The W is conveniently located a short walk from the Leicester Square tube station. It is a shiek, classy property perfectly located between the square and Picadilly. Check in is on the 2nd floor. We were greated by a friendly chap and given an overview of the hotel. We had a room facing the street on the side of Chinatown on the 8th floor, The rooms are spacious and somewhat over the top (the sink is in the middle of the room on the end of a large central island.) It was nice to have such a large space to place items, but it is not practical. The toilet is in a separate closet as is the shower. The king size bed lovely, large flat screen TV and lots of mirrors make the room hip and modern. It seems the new trend in Europe is energy conservation and while we support this trend, it is annoying to have to leave a room key in the slot by the door to power lights, outlets, a/c. Additionally, while showering the light in the shower would go out leaving you to wave hands to try to trip a sensor! Silly...
We have a concierge service as SPG owners and I had mentioned it was my husband's birthday to her and she had advised the hotel, although no acknowledgement of this until I went back to the desk to mention it. I was pleased that he made note and upon our return from dinner, there were 2 glasses of champagne, fresh strawberries and whipped cream sitting on the counter. Balloons strewned about! My thanks to Ruben and Kristina for this personal touch. I truly appreciated the effort!
We had a drink in the lounge and were quickly served by a friendly waitress and sipped a cosmo and cognac while surfing on our iPad. The free Wi-Fi had a glitch and my husband walked to the main desk for assistance.
I had read some unflattering reviews and was concerned we may not be treated with respect or appreciation, however I am pleased to say everything was as I expected an upscale property such as a W should be.
We would definitely stay here again - thank you to the staff!

Room Tip: High floor to avoid street noise - use screens behind sheer curtains
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
DenneDempsey, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 22 September 2011
Dear Love2travel1960,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very pleased to hear that you had such a good stay and that we exceeded your expectations.

I am also very happy to hear that our staff made your stay special and that your husband had a wonderful birthday.

I hope we can welcome you back to W London very soon.

Loudoun County, Virginia
Reviewed 17 September 2011

We travel to London at least once a year and try to stay in different Starwood hotels each time just to try them out. This hotel opened about 6 months ago and is right in the center of Leicester Square. I agree with other reviewers in that if you are looking for old world charm England, this is not the hotel for you. A doorman sort of greets you at the door and you walk into a bank of elevators to take you to the first floor where the desks are, bar/club and concierge. The staff at the desks are very friendly, helping us with theater suggestions and any other inquires we had. As others stated, the halls are very dark, club like, but quiet. As my husband is a Gold Member, we were upgraded to the fourth floor. Others complain of noise, we didn't hear any on our floor. Bar/lounge on the first. Room was comfortable, the sink is in the middle of the room which wasn't too bad except the bowl was too shallow and water splashed on the floor which then gets trampled on and it is dirty. I never wear the slippers in a hotel but did use them here as the floor isn't mopped daily or at all while we were there (4 days). The shower is great and the bed comfortable. Bar is packed even on a Monday night. Lots of 30 somethings, girls/guys having a night out. Loud and noisy. If this is your scene then it is perfect. Glad we tried it but think we'll head back to the hotels with "the old world charm" such as Le Meriden on Picadilly.

Dear winelvr83,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that the hotel was not more to your liking.

I would like to apologise about the issue with housekeeping in your room. This is not a standard which I deem acceptable and I have launched an investigation into the matter with our department head to resolve this issue.

On a more positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff and were well looked after whilst here.

If you would consider returning please let me know as I would like to oversee your reservation personally.

jimmhk
Reviewed 17 September 2011

this is a too cool foir school mess.the rooms are show sized with literally nowhere to store clothes, loud noise coming from the pubic areas(they provide earplugs- saying it all) and a staff that is so self regarding as to be almost comical.on check in , DIego carriied on chewng gum while my colleague and I remonstrated about his attitude.On arrival at the room, manoeuvering proved difficult and even a swinging feline would have been cramped.whatever you do, dont waste huge amounts on staying in this overpriced, souped up hostel.

Room Tip: there are only bad rooms
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business