“All you expect from a W”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #401 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed at the W London Leicester Square for a weekend in November and booked into a Fabulous room. The hotel is extremely centrally located, in the heart of the vibrant West End, within easy reach of all major attractions.

The hotel is everything you can expect from a W: trendy and fantastic design, happening bar, friendly staff etc.

The big negative for us was the street noise. As mentioned, the hotel is located at Leicester Square with the result that you can hear drunken locals and tourists passing by at every time of the night. So the central location turns out to be a bit of a negative, but then you can't have it all.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank FergieBrussels
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Dear Fergie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am really pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed our central location and the unique design of the hotel.

However, I am sorry to hear that you were disturbed by the street noise. Leicester Square can be a very busy area at times. If you would like to return we could offer you a room on a higher floor. I will be more than happy to oversee this booking for you.

Ian Ciappara

Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)

Reviewed 29 December 2011

In early 2011 we came across the W brand whilst in Minneapolis during a two week business trip, in the middle weekend, we escaped the blandness of the Sheraton and were completely blown away by the W Minneapolis.

So.... as the W London has been preparing to open its doors we have been looking forward to a stay there to recreate the magic....sadly the W London was just a disappointment from start to finish.

Upon arrival our room rate was all confused in the system and needed discussion with the manager who asked us how we had booked. Surely in 2011 a hotel computer system knows that !

The room whilst funky was very small, slightly shabby (already) and was quite simply a million miles away from being spectacular as it was billed !

The W Hotel does win one prize, the hotel with the most things for sale in the room. you can buy anything from gel pads for your shoes through to the Laundry bags all at stupid prices

The shower gels etc provided are in the tiniest bottles possible and WiFi is available for £15

These sort of things are just ridiculous, when you pay £400 for a room you cannot possibly justify charging a guest for WiFi.

I must make it clear that I am not a penny pincher and will happily pay well for a good hotel but these kind of small details are just a complete micky take.

We didn't eat in the Hotel but did go to the bar, the drinks were unsurprisingly expensive but again I don't mind that if the experience is right. Sadly we were served by a surly waitress who had an air of superiority about her, didn't bother to bring the drinks for 15 minutes and only did so after a reminder. She managed all this without cracking a smile once or using the words please or thank you.

All of the above is just basic stuff that the W Minneapolis did with ease and simply wowed us.

Sadly the W London just failed to impress and is just simply not good value.

We recently stayed at the Park Plaza Westminster and it was half the price and twice as good.

It's a shame because we were looking to feel the W experience again in London but ended up feeling that their only focus was revenue and customers didn't seem to matter.

We won't be going back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank adsmth
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I like the W brand. I've stayed at 5 W properties in the United States, so I thought to get W London a try. Like most Ws, the feel is supermodel meets the red carpet, and gets drunk on expensive martinis. Meaning, the W London has a great and funky reception, sitting and bar area. Quite active at night with a young crowd. The experience is nice, I liked the feel of the dark hallways and interiors of my room. W is pretty standard for rooms as a brand: quirky, clean, well designed. My room, a fabulous, had a sink and table that served both as a wash basin and table for the computer. Not sure if I liked the touch, felt as if I was brushing my teeth at the kitchen sink.

In any case, a drawback may be the noise, quite active location, and the noise from the bar area seems to flow through the entire hotel. I was on the 6th floor and could amazingly hear the thump of the bar. Well, the location, is great. For me, it was ideal for my business meetings and great for shopping after work was done. I caught two West End shows, and the theaters are literally right out your door.

London is expensive, but Starwood brand runs good specials during the off season. Plus you can use points. But cost wise, the hotel is a good value, and again, I liked it a lot.

Room Tip: Ask for the upper floors to avoid the street and hotel bar noise.
3  Thank BatureGermany
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2011

Dear BatureGermany,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere in our bars and our fantastic cocktails. It is also good to know that you appreciated the design of your room and the overall unique design of our hotel.

Our Wyld bar does get very busy over the Christmas period and I am sorry that this noise affected your sleep. However, I can assure you that we are constantly monitoring the sound levels in this area and I will make sure that your comments are noted to make sure that we continue to be more diligent in future.

On a more positive note, I am happy that you enjoyed our central location and all the great shopping and entertainment in the area.

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I returned to the W Hotel one more time on business to give them a chance. I have just diecided that it is just not a good hotel for business travellers. It is a great hotel if you are funky and cool and young and rich and want to party all night. My issues included: (a) no place reserved in the lounger or at the bar for hotel guests so I could not have a conversation with a business contact; (b) the rooms are entirely impractical for putting your computer at a desk and working away - as the desk and the sink are the same surface! Other issues were: the TV didn't work; the air conditioning blew out - in winter! If your room faced the square - the noise of the club kept you awake unless one is comfortable sleepign in earplugs. Again they fail to refill the very tiny cosmetic bottles in the shower - what - they can't afford 25 pence worth of shampoo for someone paying 380 pounds a night. I will try other W hotels - but the one in London - perfect location - but not a great hotel unless you simply want to party....

Room Tip: The highest possible and not on the square side....
3  Thank RT1971

Dear RT1971,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London. I am very sorry to hear that your stay was not a more positive experience on this occasion.

I am sorry that there was not a table available in the bar or library area on your visit. At W London you are more than welcome to reserve a table in the W Lounge Library area. However, these must be reserved in advance as our bars do get very busy and we aim to accommodate all of our guests on a first come first served basis during those busy periods. If you do decide to return to us, please let me know and I would be very happy to arrange this for you.

Regarding the vanity desk, these were designed with the aim of being multi-functional so you can use your laptop which plugs into the socket underneath. It can also be used as an area to get ready for an evening out with the sink and vanity mirror at hand. I realise that this design is not for everyone and I am sorry that it was not more to your liking.

I would like to apologise for the issues which you experienced with the television and the air conditioning unit. This is not a common occurrence and I have had the engineering department investigate the matter and the issues have since been resolved.

I would also like to apologise about the noise issues which you experienced from our Wyld bar. This bar does get very busy over the Christmas period. However, we do have senior staff members monitoring the noise levels from the DJ equipment and we have gone back with this feedback to make sure they are more diligent to prevent a reoccurrence in future.

Finally, I am sorry that the toiletries in your room were not refreshed when they should have been. Our Style department will attempt to refresh every room and should return later if the room is occupied. I am sorry that this was not the case and I have requested further training within this department to ensure that standards are met. You are also more than welcome to ring Whatever Whenever for any extra items that you may need if you are here for future visits.

Again, please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations on this stay. If you do decide to return again, please let me know and I will be more than happy to oversee your reservation.

Reviewed 12 December 2011

I have to admit that my wife and I are big fans of the W Hotel Brand by Sheraton and I please to say we were not disapointed by our weekend stay at the Leicester Square Hotel.

Great rooms, very good service and as ever a vert trendy and "Place to Be" Bar which on the Saturday night was hopping.

A must stay place .. right next to China Town and on 19 min walk to Soho.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MJW-AMS
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 28 December 2011

Dear MJW-AMS,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your weekend with us.

I am glad that you had a great time in our bars and enjoyed the buzz of a busy night at W London.

It’s also good to hear that you appreciated the close proximity to all the happening restaurants and bars in China town and Soho.

See you next time.

Reviewed 11 December 2011

The W Hotel has a great location just off Leicester Square in central London. From the hotel you are within easy walking distance of Soho, Covent Garden, Picadilly, Oxford and Regent Street and several of the London Parks. The hotel is also close to major rail stations and stops for the Thames clipper boat service. The only down side transport-wise was that we found it quite difficult to get a cab from this spot. While the hotel itself was well insulated against street-noise, this part of London is very busy, especially on Saturday and Friday nights. If you are looking to be in the thick of it, this is a great place to stay, but if you want somewhere calm and restful look elsewhere!

The hotel looks quite cool from the outside, with a big glassy exterior. There are always staff at the door, and due to their additional role as bouncers for the hotel's club-like bar, the hotel is kept very secure. The staff on the door were very friendly and recognised us. The immediate lobby is chic but nothing too exciting, but this is because its only really the foyer for the lifts. The main reception and lounge area is upstairs, in a relaxed but very stylish area. There is a real rock-star feel to the hotel, from the disco ball ornaments to the way the door numbers are done in gold studs. You really do feel like a celebrity staying here.

We met our family in the lounge-bar area which was really beautiful with stunning open fires in glass tubes and comfy seating. The reception staff were very friendly but a bit confused by our booking which included several rooms for a pre-Christmas family get-together. W
A number of mistakes were made here with room keys not working, people being sent to the wrong rooms. The worst of these occurred when my uncle had another guest walk into his room having been given a key to it! In addition my brother arrived later and was allocated to a room which had already been given to my cousin, and once again the keys had to be reset. The hotel staff didn't handle this brillianty and suggested the whole family come to reception to sort out the confusion which had been created by them - not very practical when everyone was out and about in London.

That aside, the rooms were lovely. Very similar to St Martin's Lane and Sanderson in terms of minimalist, white-chic with some eccentric touches like giant photo-walls and quirky cushions. We had a double room, and due to the hotel being pretty full had been given a room fitted out for disable guests which meant we got extra space and an enormous bathroom. The lighting was good with movement-sensitive lights in the bathroom and various different light settings in the bedroom. However, these were pretty confusing to figure out. Not much of a view from our room, but we did appreciate the spacious feel and I liked the design of the desk, which was a bar, desk and bathroom unit merged into one which looked and worked really good. Everything was also to a very high standard of cleanliness throughout the hotel, and domestic staff were unobtrusive and very polished.

Breakfast is served downstairs in the Spice Market restuarant, which (like eveything in the hotel) is interestingly and beautifully decorated, this time in the theme of a Moroccan spice market. Guests sit on a variety of chairs, low sofas and other units, and its a bit more fun than most hotel restaurants. Sitting slightly below street-level, it also gives you a bit of a different perspective as you watch people's feet go by!

I was a bit disappointed that none of the food seemed to fit the north African theme of the restaurant, but nonetheless I was very impressed by the quality and range of dishes available. The continental buffet was good but fairly standard. However it was the a la carte options where the restaurant really shone, with delights such as coconut pancakes and the unusual but delicious crab and egg scramble. Everything was perfectly cooked and very nicely presented, and little things like being given cherry tomatoes on the vine, and a potato rosti rather than standard fried potatoes were appreciated. The staff were efficient but not particularly friendly, and we found the room a bit cold one of the mornings we were down.

My only other comment (which is not something the hotel is responsible for) is that I found some of the other clientele very unpleasant to be around, as did the rest of my family. Rude sexual talk in the lift, with people cramming themselves in and pushing you out of the way. Many of the customers (especially those just coming to the bar in the evening) seemed to have a ridiculously over-inflated sense of their own self-importance and were very unpleasant to be around.

Room Tip: The hotel is in a very noisy part of London, especially over the weekends, so go for a room on one o...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Rhienne40
Reviewed 11 December 2011

We have recently stayed for 3 weeks in W London and as real W fans were very excited at the prospect having already stayed at around 12 other W's around the world.

Firstly for the positives; the hotel is in a great location. Staff are generally very pleasant particularly on the entrance (apart from weekends). As you would expect from a supposedly 5 star hotel the gym is well equipped and it has a very nice yet small spa. Hotel finishes are high quality and there is a pleasant glitzyness about the interiors.

All of the above one would expect, however the hotel then starts to fall down on many levels. The design is actually quite basic and flawed compared to other Ws - it is a simple box cloaked in an outer glass skin which means it looks good externally however is rather unfortunate for guests who have limited views from relatively small inner windows of the glass skin rather than the outside. This seems to typify the whole hotel experience - they seemed to be completely externally focused on what the hotel looks like to occasional drinkers and diners at the expense of guests. Guests get no priority in the bar or restaurant. On 2 separate occasions we had to wait for a full hour, and 3 phone calls each time in order to get some ice brought to our room - at the same time there were at least 7 staff manning the front door and numerous in the bar area and obviously 1 at most serving the hotel guests who are paying a significant amount to have a 5 star service.

When I eventually complained to the reception and asked to speak to a manager about the quality of service they simply asked if I now had the ice and what was my problem. No apology or explanation.

As reception is on the first level (as there is an m and m world below) it means that guests go straight to thir room from the entrance and therefore have little interaction with reception unless you check in or out, have a problem or want to use the bar which means that you often feel like you are not part of the hotel ambience as you would experience in other Ws.

Also if you are a gold or platinum member of spg don't expect an upgrade. And if you do get an upgrade don't get too excited as most rooms are exactly the same. The difference between wonderful, spectacular and fabulous appears to be at what level you look out over the White piece of glass in front of your window or how far away you are from the noise - so really not worth the effort of asking for a upgrade.

Rooms are quite small but typical of London. There are some interesting design elements however again many flaws. Both the shower and toilet are in separate cupboards which are dark cramped and airless. This means you have to come out of the toilet to the centre of the roo to wash your hands and also to get a towel from the shower. Having the sink next to your computer is also a flaw. When in the wc you have to move every 30 seconds or the light goes out.

Most of the flaws with the hotel could be improved. The service issues and attitude of the management however are unforgiveable for this standard of hotel and do not bear well for them actually wanting to improve. What a shame that Ws UK launch is such Disappointment!

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading unless you go for a corner or suite
2  Thank JKlondon09

Dear JKlondon09,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I appreciate your valuable comments and I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Each W property has a unique design to make it stand out from the others whilst maintaining a common thread. However, I do realise that the quirky design is not everyone’s taste and I am sorry to hear that it was not more to your liking.

We do try to accommodate all of our in house guests in our bars wherever we can however, December can be an extremely popular time for people to visit the bars and the seating is then on a first come first served basis. For future, reference we can certainly book you a table in advance in our W Lounge Library area and also in our Spice Market restaurant next door.

I would like to apologise that the service levels from our In-room dining team did not meet the high standard I would expect and that the issue was not handled as well as it should have been by the front desk. I can only apologise again and please be assured that the departments involved have been spoken to regarding these matters to prevent any reoccurrence.

Regarding upgrades, we do try to upgrade our valuable Platinum SPG members wherever possible, however, this is subject to availability and it is not always possible in very high occupancy periods such as December therefore it cannot be guaranteed.

On a more positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed our great location close to all the best nightlife and restaurants which London has to offer. It’s nice that you also had time to spend in our Away Spa and Sweat gym.

Once again, please accept my apologies that we did not meet your expectations. If you do decide to return please do let me know as I would be very happy to oversee your reservation.