“Terrific W in London”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #399 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Recently stayed at the W Hotel in Leicester Square in London. Room was great, service was great, staff was great, location was great. Within walking distance to all major attractions. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank GSP67
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2012

Dear GSP67

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am so pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us and your raving comments!

I hope to see you return to W London very soon!

Ian

I hope we see you return to W London very soon.

There are newer reviews for W London Leicester Square

Reviewed 26 January 2012

I just spent three nights at the W Leicester Square - this, ultra hip hotel is conveniently located 2 minutes off the tube but at first blush - the hotel's high concept design is a little off putting. I needed a few minutes to find the bathroom in my room and operating the fabulous shower made me wish for a instruction manual. But the hotel delivers great value, excellent service, good food, a good spa, a 24 hour gym with a view (!) and and overall a great London experience. All the staff were helpful - but without a doubt the best part of my experience was the concierge service - when they say "whatever, whenever" at Leicester Square they mean it. It was the beginning of Chinese New Year and the W is on the edge of Chinatown, but the lead concierge Josh took care of everything from getting us reservations at a restaurant that was completely full to offering late checkout and fixing the problems with my reservations in the system. His can do attitude, in depth knowledge of London and uncanny ability to sense what I needed before I asked made this trip memorable in all the right ways. Josh and his team made the W an amazing home away from home.

Room Tip: Upper floors are quieter, ask for a room on the 5th or 6th floor.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank MLH325
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2012

Dear MLH325

Thank you very much for your terrific review! I am very happy about your wonderful comments about Joshs' "can do" attitude and it is amazing to read that him and his team brought the "whatever/whenever" philosophy alive!

I do hope that when you travel back to London, W London will be your hotel of choice!

All the best

Reviewed 24 January 2012

We stayed 3 days at the W Hotel Leicester Square as part of a business and leisure trip. A brand new hotel in the middle of London nearby Piccadilly and Soho. A trendy and innovative design. (You have to appreciate this) We booked the fabulous room at the Starwood (Westin, Sheraton) website and were requested online to upgrade the room. So we did: the cool corner room. We arrived early friday, checked in and left our luggage at the lobby and by being welcomed with a refreshing drink.
The room couldn't be upgraded and we got a room at the 7th floor. We left our mobile number to receive a message when the room was ready. At 15.00 we received a call that the room was ready. At 17.00 we returned to the hotel for a couple of cocktails at the Wyld bar. A great atmosphere and crowded with stylish London people and hotel guests.
The room was fantastic with ambient light and the bathroom in the middle. We left for dinner and got back at the bar at 23.30. The bar manager introduced himself and asked if we were hotel guests. He fixed us a lounge table and a drink after one of the younger staff stumbling asked us to leave a table regarding an upcoming party. The club was closed but a dj pumped up the beat at the bar. Good sound and dancing people everywhere. Got to the room at 02.30. Next day great breakfast at the Spice Market and left for shopping and gallery exhibitions. At night we returned at the Wyld bar and we saw that the club was open with several people getting in and out. We asked the door lady to enter the club but were rudely told that the club was full and for safety reasons we couldn't get in (?). We don't look bad are not poor or old but I would have fired her directly if it was my firm! Again the Wyld bar manager hopped in and fixed us again a drink. He and the Argentinian doorman and the Dutch lobby guy understood service and how to treat SPG members. We stayed till 02.00 and heard from locals that the bar is better than the club. Summarizing: great new hotel, fantastic atmosphere, great room but some of the staff must grow up....
(We understood later that the club was private held...)

Reviewed 23 January 2012

What a stunning hotel! Everything about it was amazing! Our room was not huge, but it had everything you would need from the crazy sink in the middle of the room to the hidden wardrobes, toilet and shower!
Great location! Just perfect!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Popped into the bar on the first floor as had half an hour to kill. Its the perfect place to go if you want to go back to 1999, I half expected All Saints to trundle over in cargo pants.

The room has the same interior design as the McDonalds opposite (it really does!) so either the McDonalds has employed a great designer or W have just gone for the obvious (glitter balls, enclosed fires, terrible seating in a corridor environment, "library" and so on).

The drinks menu had a theme for goodness sake - both drinks we had were not that great. Not sure why a cocktail bar needs to keep masses of bottles of mayo and ketchup amongst the drinks ingredients but there you go.

The other customers were either (i) bored (ii) off their faces on the sugar from M&M's World downstairs or (iii) letting their kids run riot.

One of the worst places that has opened in London in a long time which is a shame as London has more than its fair share of bad legacy bars/hotels but generally the new places each do something right.

8  Thank simonhutch
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Rooms are very nice, with great views. It is an interesting concept, but staff is not very friendly. Food is good, but a bit overpriced.
Great crowds on we nights.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 January 2012

My stay went from bad to worse:

Tried to check in at 2:30pm and was told systems were down and asked to sit on a nearby sofa. After 20 mins of being ignored I complained to be told well it is not 3pm so you cannot check in yet anyway

Got to room which looked nice. AV equipement broken in room so complained - was told yes it is broken and no nothing can be done.

Spice market was lovely and the bar great

At 2am a loud party was being had in the room next door to ours 629, we complained. 3:30am still a very loud party going on which had moved to the corridor. A timid response from a security guard was given. 4:30 am the party continued by this point we had complained 3 times and nothing had been done. Eventually at 5am the duty manager arrived and shut the party down.

Wardrobe door was loose and fell off hinges preventing access to bathroom - engineer could not fix so we had it balanced up against a wall.

Just to top it all when checking out - the welcome desk manager said how was your stay! We told her and the response was well it is not our fault that people get drunk, doors fall off wardrobes, check in processes fail and AV equipment in rooms don't work. I assume she meant it was ours?

I stayed for 1 night spent £700 and was offered nothing in compensation for my troubles.

Final point when booking I was asked if it was a special occasion - I said yes our anniversary. Did anyone say happy anniversary or treat us differently.... NO!

Awful truly awful

Room Tip: We had a corner room overlooking China Town - it was very noisy but you are very centra. 6th is wher...
3  Thank Simian03
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Dear Simian03
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London. I am very sorry to read that we failed in delivering the W promise on your most recent visit. I have taken your comments very serious and shared them with my entire team. I will be reaching out to you directly in order to have a clearer understanding of the issues that you have brought to our attention.

Warm Regards