“All style no substance”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #401 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We arrived at 1pm, but could not check into our Cool Corner Room until 5pm as the previous guest had been given a late check-out, despite the hotel apparently being full.

On settling into the room we soon noticed that it had not been properly cleaned. There were hairs on the bathroom sink and on the floor, the bathroom tiles were pretty grubby. One wipe over with a wet flannel turned the flannel black with dirt.

I called the duty manager, the room was supposedly re-cleaned, however no apology was tendered.

On returning to the room, the hairs had been wiped up, but the floors hadn't been mopped. We discovered some further hairs on the leather chair. The walls were badly marked in some places.

The mini-bar was expensively priced even for London, £4 for a coke, £6.50 for a beer, £8 for some chocolate nibbles.

The staff, whilst not rude, did not seem to have been trained with a service culture in mind.

The housekeeping is clearly a major issue, and is identified in numerous other posts on trip advisor.

Having paid £416 for a one-night stay i was disappointed and will not be returning to the W London.

3  Thank Jack C
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Dear Jack,

Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very sorry to hear about the issues which you experienced whilst here.

I would like to sincerely apologise for the issues you experienced with our Style
(housekeeping) department. This is certainly unacceptable and well below the standard that I would expect from my team.

I would like to assure you that I have launched a full investigation into this situation and we are working on further training led by our Head of Department to prevent any reoccurrence.

Jack please let me know if you would consider returning to W London again as I would be more than happy to oversee your reservation and talk things through with you.

Once again, please accept my full apology for this matter.

Ian

Write a ReviewReviews (2,060)

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Just had one night at this hotel.. fantastic location, amazing staff- everyone so warm, helpful and friendly. Efficient and friendly check in and thanks to Louise who confirmed our entry to the WYLD Bar.. a must if your staying here. Fab location and a really great feel to the hotel. Very popular bar on Saturday nights and obviously the place to be. Great location for a fun night out in London and for shopping. Cant wait to go back!

1  Thank Stephanie P

Dear Stephanie,

Thank you for sharing your very kind feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It’s very encouraging to receive such a glowing review from you.

I’m sure Louise will love to hear your comments and please come back for more Wyld fun very soon!

Reviewed 26 February 2012

Situated right in the heart of where its all happening, I had a great stay at the W in Leicester Sq. The staff were extremely friendly, helpful (and good looking). Theres a nice buzz about the hotel as soon as you check-in. The bar is close to the reception area so the music as soon as your checking in really sets the tone of the 'feel good factor' about the hotel.
The rooms are great, brand new, trendy and very comfortable bed! The TV channels are varied and not just news, like most hotels!
Must say the room service was pretty fast and I would definitely recommend trying the club sandwich!
Only thing I can complain about is that my friend stayed in an 'amazing suite',never seen anything like it, and Ive seen some amazing suites in my time. However, the lack of blackout blinds throughout made it very difficult to sleep at night, especially have all the lights and neons of the square, reflecting inside!
Other than that, I recommend for everyone to try this hotel out!!

Room Tip: Be sure your room has blackout blinds cause not all do!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very glad to hear that you had such a positive experience with us.

It’s great to know that you got the W vibe and felt right at home here.

I’m also happy to hear that you loved our fab in-room dining menu. We love it too.

I am though very sorry to hear that your sleep was interrupted by the lights. We do have black out blinds in our rooms however Leicester Square can be very busy at times. Please do let me know if you decide to return to stay with us as I would certainly be happy to look at your room positioning for you.

Kevin, I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to W London very soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

My wife and I wanted a proper night out on the town, minus kids etc, and so we donated them to a sleepover with their aunt and booked dinner out, a night at the W Leicester Sq and looked forward to reminding ourselves how it all once was.

The W didn't disappoint. It's the first time I've stayed, which isn't surprising, since I live in London, but W Hotels have done a great job with this property. It's in a top notch spot, let down by the major refurb of Leicester Sq (but the W can't be blamed for that!!), and reminds me of the vibe one gets at the W Times Sq.

The bar is a great place to hang out, whatever the time of day, the room was cozy but modern and well put together. The bathroom is combined with the main room, with the shower cleverly popped in a cupboard (it sounds weird, but I thought it was a great piece of design thinking). There's a big main table which doubles as a workbench and wash bar. The only downside with this is that it can make the room seem very messy, once toiletries have made an excursion beyond their bag.

Criticisms are limited: the major one being that the fridge was so noisy, it sounded like it was the back of a meat delivery van. I eventually had to switch it off until we left, so apologies if the next guest was a mini-bar hound.

Next up, charging £16 for wi-fi!! Haven't hotels learnt yet that ripping customers off for wi-fi is an easy way to remind them that they really haven't been an iota customer centric in thinking about what matters? It remains a sad irony that more budget hotels across the world seem to be more aware that wi-fi should be bundled, and 5* chains are still so clueless that they think it isn't a utility, but a luxury we travellers occasionally indulge if we aren't doing anything else.

Well, it seems the W has learnt, because the friendly chap on reception told me that wi-fi will be free from March 1... as he charged £16 to my credit card! This guarantees a notch off the service stars and two off the value!

There's nowhere to get ice, but the staff were quick bringing up a bucket. Still, IMHO, a US hotel chain ought to know better.

But hey, if waiting five minutes for ice makes your list of grumbles then things are good, huh?

Reviewed 24 February 2012

Stayed here for a few nights (Sun-Tues). I've stayed at several W Hotels before, but this one is a bit different. The location is excellent, right in Leicester Square and close tot he tube and all the sights/shows. Also, has a nice fitness center. Staff was nice and helpful.

However, there are some downfalls at this property. #1 being in Leicester Square. Forget about a quiet sleep. I'm not sure what was worse: the drunken college students in the square at all hours of the night or the DJ pumping bass coming from the second floor lounge. I would hate to try and sleep here on a Thurs-Sat night when things pick up! We stayed on the 6th floor and it was LOUD!

The property itself is somewhat small. You must enter on the street level and take an elevator to the reception. The lobby and bar area is small. The area fills fast, especially with people not staying at the hotel just wanting to order drinks and be seen. Kind of a pain for those staying at the property just wanting to have a drink before going out.

One final complaint. The rooms are oddly designed. The sink/vanity is in the middle of the room. Felt like it was an island kitchen. Also, our shower constantly flooded the room. I checked with the other people in my group and they experienced the same problem. Clearly a design flaw for a new hotel. Not cool when you have two people in the room trying to take showers and the entire floor floods.

All in all, a new property with many downfalls. I'd look to stay elsewhere on my next trip.

Room Tip: Go as high as possible and don't face the square!
2  Thank pikapptcu
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I always love staying at W...everyone is so friendly, professional and all of their staff or talent as they are called at W, have a certain cool edge without making you feel uncomfortable. They are all also very pleasing to the eyes!

We were upgraded to the cool corner room as we have SPG gold, having previously stayed in the Fabulous room - the corner room was a little bigger and had a great view of China Town. Everything about the room was just on the right side of quirky without overdoing it. There is so much thought out into all the different aspects of the room. The minibar is one of my favourite bits - thank god for your Angel feet gels! They helped my dance through the night!! I ordered room service at a ridiculously early hours of the morning - the burger was delicious and I was even offered ice cream - which made me giggle! My boyfriend was told that his coffee was of 'the perfect viscosity' - thats the kind of detail you wouldn't get anywhere else.

This is a wonderful hotel that is fun loving, stylish and young - if you are expecting a quiet little place to get away from the bustles of London I'm not sure that it'll be right for you.
We love the W so much that we will be booking W Times Square when we visit New York in April.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear Everlong08,

Thank you so much for your encouraging feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very pleased to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.

At W London we love seeing our valued guests indulge and have fun. It’s great that you enjoyed our Cool Corner room and of course, the mini bar.

Enjoy W Times Square. I am sure you will love it too.

Reviewed 22 February 2012

On the positive side the W in London is in a convenient location, is brand new, has excellent beds and due to extensive sound proofing, is quiet. The people I met who work there were all very nice nice and helpful.

On the negative side, for my tastes, the studio suite I stayed in had the most idiotic design of any hotel room I have ever stayed in. A hotel room should make you feel comfortable and be easy to live in. This room made me want to run away. Here we go:

1. the entry to the suite is through the bathroom. So when room service came to deliver breakfast they ran into my wife who was coming out of the shower. How stupid is that?

2. I could not figure out how to get the lights to work. Despite spending about 15 minutes trying.

3. The room was supposed to be a suite, but it was really a strange shaped room with a sitting area. The couch in the sitting area was horribly uncomfortable and pretty much useless. Anyway, who would want to bring someone into a suite for a meeting and have them enter and exit from the bathroom.

4. I felt really stressed out staying in this hotel and would not stay there again. When I went to check out, it took three calls and 15 minutes to get a bell person to come and get my luggage.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business