“Never elsewhere” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #389 of 1,086 Hotels in London
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
“Never elsewhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2012

Location location location. Sure, the rooms are not extremely big, but who stays in their room days on end when they are in London?! Having said that, the small rooms make practical use of their space, even though it surprised me on our first visit to find the bathroom in the closet.

One time there was this noisy party in the discotheque one floor down, that was a downer, but since we have come here several times already I will let that one slide.

Love W., love London. Ideal combination.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 19 June 2012
Dear Biztraveller,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It’s great to have you back here again.

I am happy to hear that you are enjoying being one of our regular guests!

See you soon.

Ian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (486)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2012

The hotel is located in an excellent location. Right in Leicester Square, an easy walk to Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben and the London Eye. It's also right in the heart of the Theatre District, Chinatown and the Gay Area of London. So, for the location alone it may be worth a stay.

The hotel is meant to feel like you're walking in to a night club. They rope off the front entrance and have "bouncers" standing there...though I don't know why they're there since people are at the elevator once you walk in waiting for someone with a room key to get them up to the other floors...not too secure, if you ask me.

The hotel floors were very dark with disco balls hanging all over the place and all the rooms number signs were made of beaded studs that shimmered in the light when you walked down the hotel...TOO MUCH!

We had a room on the 3rd floor and found the lay out completely odd. First, there were mirrors on all the front end walls. On the back end walls there were floor to ceiling curtains. Their was an island in the room which contained the sink and general area you would get ready to go out. The bathroom and the shower were in "rooms" right off this sink island area. The shower "room" leaked into the room every time you showered so you had to keep towels down to soak up the excess. However, it was the bathroom that I found most odd. You couldn't lock the door and since it was in a seperate room by itself you certainly couldn't hide what you were doing in there! I say this because if you're going with a new love interest and would rather be discrete about GOING to the bathroom that ain't gonna happen. You can't run the sink or shower or make any other noise so alls fair in that room (Hey, we all would rather NOT put that moment on display, right?)

The beds were very nice...very. Little clouds.

The wifi was 16 pounds a day. I found that to be a joke. This fancy hotel, that costs a pretty penny to stay at and you have to pay 16 pounds a day for wifi. Did anyone tell the W this was 2012? Don't worry though, you can go to McDonald's to get free wifi if you need it...sad huh? In fact, everything in the rooms mini bar was outrageously priced, I guess that's normal, but you'd think that paying such high dollar would allow them not to gouge you in the room too.

I wouldn't stay here again, we gave it a shot and it just wasn't for us. They want to be so uppity and that's just not what I go to London for.

Room Tip: Elevators were fast so you may not need to worry about getting a higher floor.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joncgif
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 20 June 2012
Dear Joncgif,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I’m sorry that the visit was not a more positive one.

I am sorry to hear that the design of the hotel was not more to your liking. I do understand that it is not to everyone’s taste but we did try to maximise the space with this design to ensure more comfort for our guests.

Regarding the security at the front entrance, we have this in place for the safety and security of all our hotel guests, and also to monitor the capacity of the bars in accordance with health and safety laws. However, I am sorry if this made you feel uncomfortable.

Thank you also for the comments about the WIFI. I would like to assure you that I have passed these comments on to a higher level within the Starwood group.

Jon, I would like to apologise again that your stay was disappointing and if you would like to talk any of these points through personally please let me know as I would be happy to do so.

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

Great hotel, no matter if you're traveling with kids or not.
It's the second time I'm stayin there and it will be hard to make me change for another hotel.
The hotel staff is very nice, friendly and helpfull. They will make you feel "unique" and will do their best to help you.
The bedroom are spacefull and luminous, which is rare in London. Very mordern too, with no separation between the bedroom and the bathroom.
The soaps, shampoos,... are from "Bliss".
The breakfast is very good too.
By the way, I never had any noise problem and I've stayed there on week-ends.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high floor bedroom as the higher you get, the quieter it is.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Familyglobetrotter,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us.

I am glad that my talented team made you feel special with attention and that you also enjoyed the unique design of the rooms.

See you next time.

Near London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

I spent a Saturday night here recently with my wonderful bridesmaid who decided to treat me (bless her!)

Being in Chinatown, this is in an excellent location and stands out as it's a giant, white building - you can't miss it. When you enter you'll find black walls, leather-padded lifts, dark corridors, mirrors and billions of glitterballs! This is definitely a hotel for the affluent trendy set.

When we arrived we waited for around ten minutes to be checked in. Still, we had the pleasure of listening to a guy trying to get a hefty discount off a £2000 room as he would be "spending thousands and thousands of pounds" in the bar that evening. We were finally shown to our room by a very pleasant chap who took my friend's wheeled case (but not my holdall!). He noticed that our blind was broken, so arranged for it to be fixed. This was done quickly and efficiently. Later on, we reported that a bulb was blown. This wasn't a big issue but a hotel like this shouldn't need to send the same chap to the same room twice to carry out repairs.

The beds were the comfiest I have ever stayed in and the spa was faultless; we both had a facial and massage and spent the rest of the day floating on cloud nine. We had the sauna and steam rooms to ourselves and the spa staff was polite, professional and friendly.

Unfortunately, although the spa treatments were already paid for (£160), my friend was made to sign a form which charged it to the room. This was later cleared up with a couple of phone calls and some complimentary champagne, but again this shouldn't really have happened.

In the bedroom we had a mirrored wardrobe which was actually the loo and a shower cubicle - a little odd as there were no locks on the doors, but you do get used to it. The basin was outside the loo in the bedroom with plenty of towels and some quality complimentary tolietries.

The Wyld Bar in the evening, although fairly small, was jam-packed. The music was very, very loud, so don't come here if you fancy a nice, quiet drink! I had a "Notting Hill Carnival" cocktail which, at £12.50, you'd think would be palatable. However, I have never tasted a drink like it in my life (imagine a cross between over-ripe bananas and bin juice)... I couldn't finish it. Shame really as I’m rather partial to a cocktail, although none of the ones on their list were any I'd ever heard of. No Tequilla Sunrises, Harvery Wallbangers, Mai Tais or Mojitoes here, unfortunately.

After we'd been back to the spa on Sunday morning, the keycard no longer worked, so a trip to reception was required. We were asked if we were leaving on the Monday when, had the girl looked at the computer, she would have seen quite clearly that we were due to be leaving within the hour. Instead of sending us on our way with a member of staff ‘to check we could get into our room’, we were told in no uncertain terms that she would send a member of security with us to check our identification as it was "hotel policy". The fact that we both had wet hair and were wearing hotel slippers may have been a good indication that we weren’t burglars.

To summarize, this is a very modern, clean and fashionable hotel which is set in an excellent location. The beds are wonderfully comfortable, the spa is awesome and the staff is polite and professional. However, there is a slight lack of warmth, which I imagine is to be expected when you see so many people check in and check out in such a busy city, and the basics are overlooked. Oh, and they really need to sort out the cocktail list!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Spacevamp,

Thank you for your email. I was extremely sorry to hear of your undesirable experience here with us at the W. Here at the W we thrive to achieve an extremely high standard of customer service as well a memorable experience for all of our guests and it saddens me to learn that this was not what you experienced.

I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy our Notting Hill Carnival as it is one of our bestsellers.

With regards to the menu, we do not list the 'classics' on there as this is knowledge that we expect all our bertenders to have - it is a minimum requirement upon hiring. The reason I decided not to list them on the menu is in order to keep the menu clear and short. I hope that explains the reasoning behind the classics missing from the menu.

I would like to invite you and a guest back to our W Lounge or Wyld any time that you like to enjoy a cocktail of your choice my compliments.

Please do let me know when you are able to come back and I will personally ensure that we have a table ready for you and your guests.

Once again, I apologise that we did not live up to your expectation this time.

New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2012

I love W hotels - until this hotel. Being a New Yorker, I can deal with noise. What I can't deal with is loud thumping bass until 4am - how can a hotel rent rooms to guests for them to sleep in, yet continue to allow this noise problem to persist. it is unconscionable to me that the hotel has known of this problem for well over a year but hasn't rectified it in ALL rooms. If some rooms persist with this issue, then they shouldn't make them available at all to guests. If the hotel can't afford to operate in that manner, than perhaps it should close.

My only positive experience is with the bartenders at the bar - they were very friendly and mixed great dinks.

Room Tip: Don't stay here for a good room.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Eddie L
Dear Eddie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London Leicester Square. I would like to sincerely apologise for the noise issues which you experienced here.

I would like to assure you that we are constantly monitoring the DJ sound levels to prevent any noise issues for guests and we have also had the speakers rearranged in Wyld quite a few months ago which vastly improved any noise issues in the bedroom. However, I would like to sincerely apologise that your sleep was disturbed and I can totally understand your frustration.

On a more positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed the service in our bars and were well looked after by the team.

Eddie if you do decide to return to W London then please let me know as I would be more than happy to oversee your reservation.

Warn Regards,
Stoke-on-Trent UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

Having stayed at the W hotel in Times Square, New York and had an amazing stay and experience we decided to give the W London a try for the Jubilee weekend to see if it lived up to our New York experience. We stayed for one night in a “Wonderful Room”. As other have mentioned, the hotel is right in Leicester Square so it is an ideal base for sight seeing and is a 2 min walk to either Leicester Square or Piccadilly Circus tube stations.
Check-in was a breeze, we got there around midday and checked in but we were told the room would not be ready for two hours (understandable being as check in is at 3pm) they kindly stored our bag while we went shopping. The room itself was as the name says, wonderful. Having the bathroom sink in the middle of the main living space is different and qwerky and may not be to everybody’s taste but we didn’t find it a problem. The shower cubical and wc are behind mirrored doors, the shower was amazing, it was a large walk-in shower with a rain effect head and a standard head. The condiments are all Bliss Spa products which I love so I was really happy about this. The bed was really comfy and you just sank into the pillows. The mini bar is pretty expensive, £4 for a can of coke so I would look elsewhere.
We used the lobby bar for a few drinks prior to going out for the night and we were a little disappointed that the vast majority of seating was “reserved” even at 5pm, yet nobody came to sit there in the 3 hours we were stood around the bar. It seems they reserve the seats for people prepared to have a minimum spend of around £500 from what I heard the waitress saying.

Compared this W hotel to the other W I have stayed in, I would say it lived up to the high standard and trendy looks and the thing I like most about the W brand is their customer service. Every member of staff you interact with genuinely cares about exceeding your needs, they all go the extra mile to make your experience a memorable one. For this reason I would highly recommend staying at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Sunshine_Mark
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear Mark,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very pleased to hear that we managed to exceed your expectations on this visit.

I am so happy to hear that you really appreciated the attentive customer service from our talent and the unique design features of our rooms.

Regarding the bar space, we do sometimes hire areas out for events but we will always save an area for our much valued in house and external guests to the bar.

Mark I hope we see you return to stay very soon.

Best Regards,
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

I contacted "special events" in order to organise a dinner and drinks evening at W hotel Leicester Square on 2nd June 2012 which consisted of dinner at Spice Market Restaurant for 20 people and I also made a reservation at The Lounge bar for 20 people and booked a room for myself.

Emails were sent out by the special events team, which I was CC'd on to the restaurant and the bar clearly stating "VIP Group Booking" in the title but nevertheless, despite my assurances that we would definitely attend, and after explaining that we were a group of frequent business travellers many of which held status in their rewards program and that it could potentially create a considerable amount of positive publicity, not to mention revenue for the hotel if things went smoothly, they still insisted on charging a deposit of £200 to my credit card and sign a contract for the restaurant booking as well as taking an authorisation on my credit card and making me commit to a minimum spend of £750 in order to reserve space for us at the bar.
This was only revealed to me at the point which I actually wanted to confirm the bookings which I thought was a little bit harsh to be honest.

Whilst I (and others in our group) were not too pleased with this, I went along with it anyway because we were promised VIP treatment by the special events team and the people I was dealing with at the restaurant and the bar seemed quite nice and genuinely wanted the event to be a success.

So I booked the tables at the restaurant for 6:30 and space at the bar for 7:30, as some people were not coming for dinner, I didn't want them to have to wait around with nothing to do if they happened to turn up early for the drinks.
I had also spoken with the manageress of The Lounge earlier in the week to make it clear that we were going to be eating at the restaurant and that we might not be there exactly on time and was told this wouldn't be a problem as long as we did actually turn up and meet the minimum spend. They said just to get the staff at Spice Market to liaise with them to let them know when our group would be coming up to the bar so they could welcome us properly.

Most people had arrived at the restaurant by around 6:45 so we asked them to start serving the food. I must say that the food as well as the service at Spice Market was excellent.
I think everyone really enjoyed the food. It was a very well organised meal service although if I have to pick on something it would be the fact that there seemed to be a slight delay in getting some of the courses out to the tables.
This was not really seen as a big problem by anyone as we were all chatting away, having a great time enjoying our meal.

At 6 minutes past 8pm I got a phone call on my mobile from the manageress at The Lounge, not the manageress I had been dealing with previously, the one who was in charge on that night.
She basically told me that we were late and that she was going to give our table away unless we arrived there by 8:30 at the latest. I tried to explain to her that she need not worry and that we were already in the building at the restaurant and not to give our tables away as we would definitely be attending. She was not very pleasant towards me to say the least, basically telling me that my reservation contract (I don't know what she was talking about as I never signed a contract) stated that they would only keep the table for 30 minutes after the agreed time and that she was doing me a favour by extending this to an hour. I asked her what she expected me to do, did she expect me to leave my guests in the middle of dinner to go there immediately and secure the table? She then just repeated the bit about reservation contract so I asked to speak to the general manager of the hotel and said that the general manager was not there at the moment, repeated yet again the bit about the reservation contract and hung up on me before I got a chance to say anything else.

Needless to say after this confrontation, I was absolutely fuming, my blood was boiling and I pretty much lost my appetite for the rest of the meal!

I asked for the manager of Spice Market who came to see me and explained to him what had just occurred. He said he would go up and speak to her personally to diffuse the situation which, fair play to him, he did.

When we arrived at the bar they had actually given our tables away and put us in a different area. I didn't mind too much as originally they had given us the area directly behind the DJ next to some large speakers which I think would have been too noisy for us anyway.

The manageress who called me never actually showed her face at any point during the evening which was probably a good thing because I would have lost it and told her what I really thought of her and her stinking attitude!

I would have loved to post here telling everyone what a great night we had and more about the great service and food at Spice market and the great service we received from the waitress who looked after us at The Lounge (who got a nice tip from me at the end of the night, I might add!) but unfortunately the manageress at The Lounge on the evening with her foul attitude managed to pretty much ruin my dinner.

If this is the service they give to large parties of VIP guests, consisting mainly of Gold/Platinum SPG card holders, even including a lifetime Platinum member!! I dread to think what kind of service "normal" parties get.

Stayed June 2012, travelled on business