“def not a 5 star!”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #398 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Where ever we travel W is always a priority. Coming from W Istanbul, Turkey we had very high expectations for Wlondon, However, W London was a disappointment! Rooms were extremely small, washrooms are so small it reminds one of an airplane. You can not use the toilet or shower without bumping around the walls. We were in for 5 nights, for the first two days house keeping never showed up. There is no evening turn down service. In all the other W hotels we have stayed house keeping would always do an evening service in which they would also leave chocolates and complimentary water. The lobby is on the first floor, and hotel entrance is on the ground floor. So basically the only time we actually visited the lobby was during checkout and checkin. There was zero interaction with staff or other hotel guests and felt as if we were living in a small dark box.

there was one positive during our stay, the conceirge was able to get last minute reservations in all the top resturants of london.

bottom line, for what you will be paying for this hotel you can def find a better one, prob for much cheaper.

Room Tip: ask for a larger room, don't stay in room 405
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank AsadShafi
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Dear Asad,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at w London. I am very sorry to hear that your visit was not a more positive experience on this occasion.

If you would like to address any of the above issues personally please feel free to contact me directly as I would be more than happy to do so.

Again, I would like to apologise that your stay was disappointing.

Ian

Write a ReviewReviews (2,072)

Reviewed 16 June 2012

Took my family to the W Leicester square in early June. I'm Starwood platinum and had booked 2 rooms - one on points, one revenue. Was extremely disappointed even after using Suite night awards that there was no upgrade at all. The rooms as you've read here are very small. I actually liked the layout of the one my kids were in with 2 twins better than the one I was in with a king. The vanity and sink in the center of the room is simply ridiculous - someone just got carried away with the design here. Also - only 2 outlets in the entire room. I'm a huge fan of W Hotels in the US and I'm used to them being a bit dark - again they've gone overboard here - the hallways are literally cavelike.
The public areas of the hotel are great and the location is also perfect - close to everything. The very best thing about the property is the staff. They were ALL warm, welcoming, helpful and funny too. The concierge - Jess, Fillippo, Nicola - all great.

If you are a Starwood member - as long as you know what you are in for, it's a good choice. I might try the Meridien Picadilly next time....

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Whis117
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Dear Whis117,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay on this visit.

Regarding the Suite Night Awards, we will always try to honour the suit upgrade when requested. However, if we are experiencing high occupancy and there are no suites available at the time of your request then you will be notified that this is not possible. In that case, you can amend the dates that you would like to visit so we can accommodate the suit e request.
I am also sorry that the design was not more to your liking and this was aimed at enhancing the comfort of the guests by maximising space.

On a more positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed our very friendly staff at the Concierge and W Insider desk. I will pass these comments on the team and I am sure they will be very happy to hear it.

Please let me know if you do decide to return again and I will be happy to oversee the Suite Night reservation.

Reviewed 14 June 2012

Location location location. Sure, the rooms are not extremely big, but who stays in their room days on end when they are in London?! Having said that, the small rooms make practical use of their space, even though it surprised me on our first visit to find the bathroom in the closet.

One time there was this noisy party in the discotheque one floor down, that was a downer, but since we have come here several times already I will let that one slide.

Love W., love London. Ideal combination.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

Dear Biztraveller,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It’s great to have you back here again.

I am happy to hear that you are enjoying being one of our regular guests!

See you soon.

Reviewed 13 June 2012

The hotel is located in an excellent location. Right in Leicester Square, an easy walk to Trafalgar Square, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben and the London Eye. It's also right in the heart of the Theatre District, Chinatown and the Gay Area of London. So, for the location alone it may be worth a stay.

The hotel is meant to feel like you're walking in to a night club. They rope off the front entrance and have "bouncers" standing there...though I don't know why they're there since people are at the elevator once you walk in waiting for someone with a room key to get them up to the other floors...not too secure, if you ask me.

The hotel floors were very dark with disco balls hanging all over the place and all the rooms number signs were made of beaded studs that shimmered in the light when you walked down the hotel...TOO MUCH!

We had a room on the 3rd floor and found the lay out completely odd. First, there were mirrors on all the front end walls. On the back end walls there were floor to ceiling curtains. Their was an island in the room which contained the sink and general area you would get ready to go out. The bathroom and the shower were in "rooms" right off this sink island area. The shower "room" leaked into the room every time you showered so you had to keep towels down to soak up the excess. However, it was the bathroom that I found most odd. You couldn't lock the door and since it was in a seperate room by itself you certainly couldn't hide what you were doing in there! I say this because if you're going with a new love interest and would rather be discrete about GOING to the bathroom that ain't gonna happen. You can't run the sink or shower or make any other noise so alls fair in that room (Hey, we all would rather NOT put that moment on display, right?)

The beds were very nice...very. Little clouds.

The wifi was 16 pounds a day. I found that to be a joke. This fancy hotel, that costs a pretty penny to stay at and you have to pay 16 pounds a day for wifi. Did anyone tell the W this was 2012? Don't worry though, you can go to McDonald's to get free wifi if you need it...sad huh? In fact, everything in the rooms mini bar was outrageously priced, I guess that's normal, but you'd think that paying such high dollar would allow them not to gouge you in the room too.

I wouldn't stay here again, we gave it a shot and it just wasn't for us. They want to be so uppity and that's just not what I go to London for.

Room Tip: Elevators were fast so you may not need to worry about getting a higher floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank joncgif

Dear Joncgif,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I’m sorry that the visit was not a more positive one.

I am sorry to hear that the design of the hotel was not more to your liking. I do understand that it is not to everyone’s taste but we did try to maximise the space with this design to ensure more comfort for our guests.

Regarding the security at the front entrance, we have this in place for the safety and security of all our hotel guests, and also to monitor the capacity of the bars in accordance with health and safety laws. However, I am sorry if this made you feel uncomfortable.

Thank you also for the comments about the WIFI. I would like to assure you that I have passed these comments on to a higher level within the Starwood group.

Jon, I would like to apologise again that your stay was disappointing and if you would like to talk any of these points through personally please let me know as I would be happy to do so.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

Great hotel, no matter if you're traveling with kids or not.
It's the second time I'm stayin there and it will be hard to make me change for another hotel.
The hotel staff is very nice, friendly and helpfull. They will make you feel "unique" and will do their best to help you.
The bedroom are spacefull and luminous, which is rare in London. Very mordern too, with no separation between the bedroom and the bathroom.
The soaps, shampoos,... are from "Bliss".
The breakfast is very good too.
By the way, I never had any noise problem and I've stayed there on week-ends.

Room Tip: I always ask for a high floor bedroom as the higher you get, the quieter it is.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Familyglobetrotter,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very pleased that you had a wonderful stay with us.

I am glad that my talented team made you feel special with attention and that you also enjoyed the unique design of the rooms.

See you next time.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I spent a Saturday night here recently with my wonderful bridesmaid who decided to treat me (bless her!)

Being in Chinatown, this is in an excellent location and stands out as it's a giant, white building - you can't miss it. When you enter you'll find black walls, leather-padded lifts, dark corridors, mirrors and billions of glitterballs! This is definitely a hotel for the affluent trendy set.

When we arrived we waited for around ten minutes to be checked in. Still, we had the pleasure of listening to a guy trying to get a hefty discount off a £2000 room as he would be "spending thousands and thousands of pounds" in the bar that evening. We were finally shown to our room by a very pleasant chap who took my friend's wheeled case (but not my holdall!). He noticed that our blind was broken, so arranged for it to be fixed. This was done quickly and efficiently. Later on, we reported that a bulb was blown. This wasn't a big issue but a hotel like this shouldn't need to send the same chap to the same room twice to carry out repairs.

The beds were the comfiest I have ever stayed in and the spa was faultless; we both had a facial and massage and spent the rest of the day floating on cloud nine. We had the sauna and steam rooms to ourselves and the spa staff was polite, professional and friendly.

Unfortunately, although the spa treatments were already paid for (£160), my friend was made to sign a form which charged it to the room. This was later cleared up with a couple of phone calls and some complimentary champagne, but again this shouldn't really have happened.

In the bedroom we had a mirrored wardrobe which was actually the loo and a shower cubicle - a little odd as there were no locks on the doors, but you do get used to it. The basin was outside the loo in the bedroom with plenty of towels and some quality complimentary tolietries.

The Wyld Bar in the evening, although fairly small, was jam-packed. The music was very, very loud, so don't come here if you fancy a nice, quiet drink! I had a "Notting Hill Carnival" cocktail which, at £12.50, you'd think would be palatable. However, I have never tasted a drink like it in my life (imagine a cross between over-ripe bananas and bin juice)... I couldn't finish it. Shame really as I’m rather partial to a cocktail, although none of the ones on their list were any I'd ever heard of. No Tequilla Sunrises, Harvery Wallbangers, Mai Tais or Mojitoes here, unfortunately.

After we'd been back to the spa on Sunday morning, the keycard no longer worked, so a trip to reception was required. We were asked if we were leaving on the Monday when, had the girl looked at the computer, she would have seen quite clearly that we were due to be leaving within the hour. Instead of sending us on our way with a member of staff ‘to check we could get into our room’, we were told in no uncertain terms that she would send a member of security with us to check our identification as it was "hotel policy". The fact that we both had wet hair and were wearing hotel slippers may have been a good indication that we weren’t burglars.

To summarize, this is a very modern, clean and fashionable hotel which is set in an excellent location. The beds are wonderfully comfortable, the spa is awesome and the staff is polite and professional. However, there is a slight lack of warmth, which I imagine is to be expected when you see so many people check in and check out in such a busy city, and the basics are overlooked. Oh, and they really need to sort out the cocktail list!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Spacevamp,

Thank you for your email. I was extremely sorry to hear of your undesirable experience here with us at the W. Here at the W we thrive to achieve an extremely high standard of customer service as well a memorable experience for all of our guests and it saddens me to learn that this was not what you experienced.

I am extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy our Notting Hill Carnival as it is one of our bestsellers.

With regards to the menu, we do not list the 'classics' on there as this is knowledge that we expect all our bertenders to have - it is a minimum requirement upon hiring. The reason I decided not to list them on the menu is in order to keep the menu clear and short. I hope that explains the reasoning behind the classics missing from the menu.

I would like to invite you and a guest back to our W Lounge or Wyld any time that you like to enjoy a cocktail of your choice my compliments.

Please do let me know when you are able to come back and I will personally ensure that we have a table ready for you and your guests.

Once again, I apologise that we did not live up to your expectation this time.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

I love W hotels - until this hotel. Being a New Yorker, I can deal with noise. What I can't deal with is loud thumping bass until 4am - how can a hotel rent rooms to guests for them to sleep in, yet continue to allow this noise problem to persist. it is unconscionable to me that the hotel has known of this problem for well over a year but hasn't rectified it in ALL rooms. If some rooms persist with this issue, then they shouldn't make them available at all to guests. If the hotel can't afford to operate in that manner, than perhaps it should close.

My only positive experience is with the bartenders at the bar - they were very friendly and mixed great dinks.

Room Tip: Don't stay here for a good room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank Eddie L

Dear Eddie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London Leicester Square. I would like to sincerely apologise for the noise issues which you experienced here.

I would like to assure you that we are constantly monitoring the DJ sound levels to prevent any noise issues for guests and we have also had the speakers rearranged in Wyld quite a few months ago which vastly improved any noise issues in the bedroom. However, I would like to sincerely apologise that your sleep was disturbed and I can totally understand your frustration.

On a more positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed the service in our bars and were well looked after by the team.

Eddie if you do decide to return to W London then please let me know as I would be more than happy to oversee your reservation.

Warn Regards,