“Nice hotel, excellent location, but a little short of expectation.”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #404 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 July 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights and was expecting a lot from the W brand. The hotel is brand new and located off the Lively Leicester Square and is a short walk to the lovely Covent Garden. The rooms are well designed but have some practical issues. The have an open Basin with a long counter. The bath area has a rain shower but no tub in the 'Wonderful room'. The problem we faced was that shower room door didn't shut properly and made the room messy after shower. The staff overall was very helpful. The concierge ('Whatever Whenever service') is very well connected helped us to book nice theater tickets and a nice nightclub table (Thank you Philipo and team!). But as the name suggests, this is not a 24/7 service it works from 8.30 am to 8.30 pm. The hotel has an excellent must visit bar and we had a very nice evening with our friends there. Since the hotel, bar and club all have the same entrance you will always be greeted with a bouncer asking you to show your room key every night after 10 pm which made us feel unwelcome like a typical London Night Club. Also if you borrow an umbrella you are made to sign and are told if you don't return the umbrella by 11.30 pm the same will be charged to your room!!! Never have other hotels of similar standard have done that. Also WiFi is very expensive at 16 pounds a day (Even cheaper hotels in Europe had this complementary). Staying at W London was quite and experience overall.

1  Thank rajivk11
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Dear Rajivk11,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that we failed to meet your expectations this time.

I am very sorry to hear that you experienced problems with the shower in your room. I would like to let you know that I have had the Engineers look into this issue to make sure it is resolved as soon as possible.

Also, if you are interested in a room with a bath tub, you may like to try one of our Fantastic suites for example which has a separate room with a bath and shower.

Regarding late night entry to the hotel, I am sorry if it made you feel uncomfortable and we very much value the safety and security of all of our guests, but we also need to make sure that the numbers are controlled on busy nights in the bar to monitor capacity. This is due to compulsory Health and Safety Laws regulated by the Government.

On a positive note, I am glad to hear that you were well looked after by our Concierge team; and that you had a great time in our Wyld bar.

I hope we can welcome you back to us very soon.

Reviewed 8 July 2012

We stay in MANY, MANY hotels throughout the year and with all the great recommendations we were expecting a nice, perfectly located stay at the "W"

Sadly, not even close to a typical Starwood experience.

Location is handy, for sure. The renos look nice inside and out. Market restaurant is a winner, must visit. The shower was excellent!

However, from there... disappointment.

#1 - Staff was indifferent (in all but one interaction during our 3 night stay). Seemed to be too busy talking to each other rather than helping guest (while we waited, I watched and noticed it seemed to be pervasive with all guests)

#2 The room design was very strange, funky looking but not overly practical

#3 Air Con control didn't allow for much control at all. And worst of all they designed the vent to blow right across the heads of the bed. Not healthy at all.

Lots of choices in London, choose wisely. Wished it was a more fantastic experience given the location and SPG rating.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from nightclub. Ask to look at layout before you agree to the accepting the room.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

Dear Best Cook,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent trip to W London. I am really sorry to hear that we failed to Wow you on this occasion.

I am disappointed to hear that the staff was not more attentive throughout your visit. I would like to emphasise that this is certainly not the level of service that I expect from any of my team and I will certainly be looking into this within the department make sure that there is no reoccurrence.

Regarding the room design and features, I am sorry that it was not more to your liking and you found it a bit difficult. It was our intention to have the rooms designed to both maximise space and keep our guests comfortable. However, I can understand that this is not everyone’s taste.

On a more positive, note I am glad that you enjoyed our delicious Spice Market restaurant and the buzz of the surrounding areas with all the fabulous site seeing opportunities and culinary pleasures that London has to offer.

I would love to be able to welcome you back to W London and make sure your next visit exceeds your expectations so please feel free to contact me directly if you would consider returning to us again.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

The online outreach prior to my getting there, and the on-site support of the team was outstanding, and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, paritcularly SPG rewards types like myself.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jdheit
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Jheidt,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear that you were made to feel special by our fabulous W Insider team who reached out to you prior to your visit to W London.

It is great to hear that our Whatever Whenever service is working as we were hoping it would. We do like to pay extra special attention to all of SPG guests

Regards,

Reviewed 1 July 2012

Booked the hotel for its location. Had no idea what W hotels were like.
Absolutely delighted with the excellent service we received.
Got upgraded with a caution that the upgraded room was above the nightclub. It was noisy but the fabulous bathroom more than made up for the drum and beat!
Staff were exceptional. Charming, polite and could not do enough to help.
The room was like something out of Barbarella and the hotel is seriously hip. despite not being seriously hip myself, it didn't matter as the service and facilities coupled with a great location made this a first class experience. Keep it up! Will definitely be back and will look at W hotels in other locations without hesitation now.

Room Tip: If you want a good nights sleep stay in the higher floored rooms
2  Thank kittycanard
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Dear Kitty,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am really pleased to hear that you are a new W convert!

I am very happy that you were well looked after by our friendly staff and that you loved our fabulous bathroom in your suite.

I hope we are able to welcome you back to us in the near future.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

As is common with the W Hotel chain, this hotel seemed to be the place to be seen on the Saturday night we were there. The anger from the fact that British Airways delays caused a 24 hour layover was quickly abated once we stepped into the W.

All staff were friendly, well dressed and willing to help in any way required. And the lobby was packed out with glammed-up 20-somethings swanning arond.

The rooms were ultra-modern with shower and toilet almost invisible - hidden behind mirrored glass that you'd think would be a wardrobe. And a sink in the middle of the entrance area... of course it is.

The bed was very comfy and the blinds could be drawn to pitch black but the only quirk is that to operate the electronically controlled lights you do need a degree in electronic engineering - they're almost too funky to be easily tuned on and off.

Finally the location is hard to beat, right among the action in Leicester Square and a short stroll to Trafalgar Square, The Mall, the River and most major attractions.

Very fun place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Travis J
Management response:Responded 9 July 2012

Dear Travj1234,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very happy that we managed to exceed your expectations on this visit.

It is nice to know that we turned your day around and you had a chance to enjoy our fabulous location.

I am also pleased to hear that you appreciated our unique design features and in particular our very comfortable beds.

Reviewed 27 June 2012

I used some of my well earned points to stay at this hotel. I had the option of the Meridien Piccadilly, Park Lane Sheraton and the W all close to each other. Based on the reviews (and cost), I opted for this one and I was not disappointed.

The lobby is on the first floor and is just 3 desks with hip young things checking you in with the fancy lounge next to it.

Our room was strangely arranged to say the least and I am not sure if I liked the 'sink in the middle of the room' arrangement but I worked with it. Compact is how I would describe the room with enough lcd lighting to keep a light sleeper awake. We had to drape the blanket over the TV to camouflage the lcd lights; unplug the phones to stop them beeping, use a piece of card to cover the bright green fire alarm lcd and remove the card key to switch off the motion sensor operated toilet light which was constantly on...so not a great night's sleep..

We went to the bar and club in the evening and although both were packed, mentioning that we were guests at the hotel managed to get us a lovely sofa and then into the club that holds only 90 people (and plays various versions of urban tunes). Drinks are expensive (£15 for a cocktail and about £4.50 for a single spirit) but they are not measured and hit the spot very quickly!

On the Sunday was the last England Euro 2012 game and we were going to go to the Sports Cafe but opted to see if they were showing it at the W. They have a screening room which holds about 40 people and they had it on the big screen...with a waitress taking orders. Nice.

Not sure I would pay to stay here when there are so many other similar options in the area but if I want to stay in that area of London again - I would definitely use my points for this Sheraton hotel.

Oh...and there is a rain shower...

Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Deneshae,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am very pleased to hear that we managed to exceed your expectations.

I am especially happy to hear that you enjoyed the use of our lovely Screening Room watching the Euro 2012 games. Stay tuned on our Facebook page for more W happenings.

Reviewed 26 June 2012

Great location close to many London attractions, museums, SOHO, theater, and restaurants. W has a popular bar area, especially on the weekend. The restaurant is outstanding high end Asian fusion type food as well as a nice breakfast buffet. Service was exceptional from the bellman, front desk, concierge, maid and restaurant. The service was exceptionally good. I travel literally every week and they were great.
Only disappointment was my room was very small with an odd set up of one sink in the main room area instead of the bathroom. This was inconvenient for my wife and I to share in the small room. I tried upgrading to a suite several weeks in advance since I am a Starwood Platimum member but was not able to. I highly recommend the W Hotel dispute the small room but try to get a larger room or a suite.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite or at least a larger room with a bathroom with a sink.
Management response:Responded 28 June 2012

Dear Jfrao,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I’m very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.

I am delighted that you experienced exceptional service from our front of house teams as they are working very hard to meet the high standards that we expect at W London. I’m glad to hear that we are getting it right.

Regarding the room upgrade for Platinum SPG members, I would like to explain that whilst we are more than happy to upgrade you when we can, this very much depends upon availability. Therefore, when we are experiencing full occupancy it is impossible to grant. I can understand the disappointment this may cause but hoping you can understand that we will grant this subject to availability.

Jfrao, I hope we see you return to W London very soon.