“Londoner's Review of the W Hotel London”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #398 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 1 January 2013

As a Londoner, I always fantasized about staying at the W Hotel in London but never really had a reason nor the extra cash to splash out on such luxury. Well since temporarily moving to Barcelona and returning to London for a two night stay to take care of some business, I decided to just go for it and give in to my curiosity.

The positives: I was upgraded to a Spectacular room from a Wonderful room which was nice and the staff were extremely friendly and accommodating. The gym was top notch. I could easily spend all night in the bar socializing with friends and their cocktails are very good indeed. Location was top notch. I was really nice to stay in the "center" of town and not have to catch the Underground to make it home.

The negatives: I couldn't for the life of me find a room service list in the room which didn't really benefit the hotel much. I also used the Wired business center to print out some documents and found that the printer was not working, which the hotel acknowledged, but just put an "out of order" sign on it...I thought this was strange for a W Hotel as printers are not the expensive. I did contact the front desk and they printed my documents for me.

Overall: I enjoyed my stay at the W Hotel in London and would stay again if given the opportunity. I have recently become an SPG Gold member so will look forward to my next stay there. That and I'll need to restock on my Bliss products that I love.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, for 25 GBP they are worth it! We got to stay on the top floor.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Rajmopolitan
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2013

Dear Rajmopolitan,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry that your experience was not more positive in some areas.

I apologise for the inconvenient lack of in room directory and printer issues which you mentioned. Thank you for this constructive feedback which has now seen these issues rectified.

On a positive note, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the use of our Sweat gym; and that you were well looked after by our team.

I hope that we can welcome you back again in future and please let me know if you do decide to return as I will happily oversee your reservation.

Warm Regards
Ian

Write a ReviewReviews (2,076)

Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

I went to this hotel and when I arrived I was getting lost. Leicester Square is a crowded place at night. But you're right in the Center of the madness. When I go to an island, I look for a quiet place, but in a City like this, I prefer the center of the fun.

The good news is that the hotel lobby is not on the ground floor. The second you get inside, you shut out all the noise and you can relax and enjoy the hotel. The rooms were cool as usual with a W.

Service and food was great. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2013

Dear AAbadi,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am very happy to hear that you had a great experience with us.

I am pleased to hear that you find us a lovely place to relax in the centre of town.

I hope we can welcome you back to W London in the near future.

Reviewed 29 December 2012

2 night stay with my wife and daughter/granddaughter. Being SPG Platinum expected an upgrade to a suite. Checked 10 minutes before arriving on availablity, suites were shown as being available. Told on check in they had nothing available so not the best start to the stay. Was going to question the statement but received one of those looks from the wife that said she just wanted to get to the room so I did not push. Stayed in a Spectacular room (whoever thought of the room names used a lot of poetic licence) which you will either love or hate. For me the rooms are a very poor design, the toilet is not private, you can hear everything and i mean everything. If you are looking for a romantic break break you can forget it. Room amenities are poor, coffee machine is only a available on request. Storage space is useless for anything more than a 2 day stay. The wash basin and work desk combination is a disaster. PWhoever decided on this needs to go back to design school. There is no privacy so you have to wash in the bedroom, the sink is so shallow water goes everywhere. Using the same space as the wash basin for working on your laptop is poor design. The corrdidors are really dark and oppressive. The good points are the staff are friendly and the location is good. Have stayed in other W properties, sorry but this is the worst. I realise that some people will love the place, would I stay again, sorry but no.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Dear Gorilaz,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that your stay was not a more positive experience.

Regarding the complimentary upgrade, we are very happy to do this for all of our valued Platinum SPG members, however, this is not guaranteed as subject to availability. I apologise that it was not possible on this occasion but please contact me directly if you would like to return and I will be happy to oversee your next reservation.

I would also like to apologise that the design of the room was not more to your liking. The aim of the design was to maximise space for both work and pleasure hence the multifunctional vanity unit. We tried to keep both the practical and comfort elements in mind for the guest with this design. However, I do realise that it is not to everyone’s taste unfortunately and I am sorry for this.

On a more positive note, I am glad that your appreciated our friendly staff and central location near Soho.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

I spent two nights at W London Leicester Square back in October. I booked the first night with my SPG points and paid for the second night normally. The same type of room for both of the nights. My expectation was that this is not a very unusual arrangement for the W hotels, but this actually resulted in two very annoying incidents.

First, I wanted to double-check in advance that I will be allowed to keep the same room for both of the nights. The W Customer Service could not promise this, but said they will do their best to make this happen. I could not quite understand what the difficulty of guaranteeing the same room for two nights would have been. Essentially, I made a single reservation (well, two reservations according to their reservation system, I guess), and it is more than normal that one does not get thrown from one room to another during a single stay.

Second, when I returned to my room on my second evening at the hotel, nobody had cleaned the room. The explanation at the reception was that my two "separate reservations" had caused some confusion here. What is this? Finally, I had to make two requests to the reception to get my room cleaned. This took place in the early evening. Even after this, I was able to find some hair on the floor and that was not my hair... A positive thing was that the lady at the reception was very friendly and apologetic (well the least the hotel can do), but that is it. And - no - I was not offered a free cup of coffee or drink or anything.

The reason why I even gave this hotel four stars is related to the very nice and cool buzz and atmosphere present at the hotel. The hotel has very contemporary and trendy interior design, and is ideally located in Soho close to many nice restaurants and cafes offering organic food. Piccadilly Circus is essentially around the corner. However, these positives do not make me forget the disappointing service in the situations described above which represents something that I am not used to experiencing at the W hotels.

To be fair, I must say that otherwise the service was very friendly and attentive. The hotel's bar gets very crowded in the evenings which I liked very much. I requested a silent room, and I was given such a room. Combined with always heavenly beds at the W hotels, the sleep quality was guaranteed.

In spite of some of the service-related disappointments mentioned above, I am likely to return to this hotel due to the many positives of the hotel. An extra plus to the room - it is not a usual, standard, boring hotel room. They have truly tried to re-invent the hotel room, make it more social, and use the space available more efficiently. It is not the form or design over the function. However, I do understand that the slightly unusual layout of the room may generate some mixed feelings.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank MarkoSHelsinki

Dear MarkoSHelsinki,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London. I am sorry to hear that your experience was not more positive.

Regarding the issue with check in, I apologise that the same room request was not able to be accommodated for your two separate reservations. However, if you could kindly contact the hotel directly next time we would certainly be able to help with this if we are notified in advance. I am sorry that central reservations message did not come through to us and I can understand how disappointing this must be.

On a positive note, I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere in the hotel, the interior design, and the great local restaurants and bars that the area has to offer.

If you do decide to return to stay with us, please contact me directly as I would be happy to handle your room allocations.

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Great Hotel! Clean rooms and friendly staff , even the cleaning staff were friendly! I will be back to W in the future !
Location is great near good restaurants and the tube also the casino.
You must try the W bar good vibe and trendy young people!

• Stayed: December 2012

Dear Jbizze,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am happy to hear that you had a great experience here with us.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the atmosphere in the hotel, its cleanliness and our central location near to all that Soho and Chinatown have to offer.

I hope we can welcome you back to W London in the near future.

Reviewed 24 December 2012

Pro:
Hotel is located in the central spot in London. The location is so convenient and we could walk or take a quick metro stop to most of the tourist destination. There are tons of restaurants around here. If you want to party in London, this is probably a pretty good hotel for it.

Con:
I would avoid staying here on the weekends if you want some quiet time at night. We could hear the club underneath us till 3 or 4 am in the morning, and we were on the 6th floor. The service is questionable at best. We stayed here for 5 nights and 2 of the days, they didn't bother to make our room (we didn't have do not disturb sign on the door). We had to order a pot so we can have hot water, and the next day, we found the pot outside the door and the heating element below the desk.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2012

Dear Kevin,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that we did not manage to exceed your expectations on this visit.

I would like to apologise for any noise issues which you experienced whilst here. I would like to assure you that we are currently having these issues rectified to ensure that noise levels are satisfactory for both guests and in house residents.

We also have a turn down service for all rooms and this is available upon request.

On a positive note, I am glad that you enjoyed our Central location and all the great bars and restaurants which the area has to offer.

Kevin, please let me know if you would like to return to visit us as I would be happy to oversee your reservation if so.

Warm Regards

Reviewed 23 December 2012

It was an unusual experience for me but I enjoyed my stay. This hotel is in the West-end of London, centrally located near the center of Piccadilly Circus. It is conveniently located near the theaters, restaurants, night life, and stores galore.
It is trendy, contemporary, and seems to cater to a young crowd. The corridors are dark and my room was very modern and unique. The staff was friendly and offered exceptional service. I loved this hotel but it is not for everyone. Since it has a night club, it was noisy, busy, and the entrance is cord off at night. I would return, loved the location.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear TravelK,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay at W London Leicester Square. I am really pleased to hear that you had a great experience whilst here.

It is nice to hear that you enjoyed our central location near Soho and also the unique design of the hotel.

I hope we see you on a return visit very soon.