“New Years Eve 2012 - a cool place to stay”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #393 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Stevenage, United Kingdom
“New Years Eve 2012 - a cool place to stay”
Reviewed 17 March 2013 via mobile

Checked in for New Year's Eve.
Great central location.
It's a bit like the Sanderson, in that trendy and the room was fun.
There was a New Year party here, which after our other event, we joined in. Really good music.
Breakfast was lovely too.
I'd stay again.

• Stayed December 2012
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear Donna B

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us here at W London - Leicester Square for New Year's Eve.

I am really pleased to hear you enjoyed the music at our special New Year's Eve party after your event and the breakfast the next day.

I look forward to welcoming you back to W London – Leicester Square very soon.

Warm regards
Ian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (503)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I like my teas so of course, I had to try afternoon tea in London. Initially, we had chosen Afternoon tea at the Kensington hotel however, we were able to find a discount online and switched to W London (since their regular price was higher).

We went on a Saturday afternoon - 2p. After walking around the gigantic M&M store, we walked over to the hotel. We went up to the hostess and informed we had a reservation. We had to wait 1-2 minutes before a person came to seat us. We were seated at a small table with 2 single sofa chairs. It wasn't busy (maybe around 5 of 10-15 tables were occupied). When our waitress arrived, it seemed to take a bit of effort to have her explain the process (We had never done the afternoon tea before so didn't know how it worked) but eventually she did.

Tea - sadly, it was not loose-leaf tea. I think the brand they gave out was Harney & Sons (which I know you can buy in store cause I bought some to bring home). It was alright tea - I wasn't blown away. Types available: Camomile, Jasmine, Dragon Pearl, Japanese Sencha, Fresh Mint, Organic English Breakfast, Earl Grey, Pomegrante Oolong, Grapefruit Vanilla, Ceylon decaf, & Mint Verbena. If I remember correctly, we chose Earl Grey (ok...nothing special and I've definitely had much nicer brands), Grapefruit Vanilla (nice, light tea for those who are not hugely into tea), and Jasmine.

We both got a single full pot - when I had asked if the tea was unlimited, she said "I guess, but don't keep choosing and then changing" I'm not sure if we asked in a weird way or she explained funny but later on, I believe a manager had walked by and I asked if we get another different tea (cause we had finished our pots) and he had no problems giving it to us.

Presentation - Their style is different from the normal tea because the 'plates' they use are shaped as old records (LPs). They name the dishes after classic songs...so a nice change from the typical thing.

Food - First off, I was satisfied with the portion of sandwiches given. I had never had tea before and when I was told by people that you get sandwiches and dessert, I was thinking "What, I'm paying that much for sandwiches...I probably won't even be full!". I There were 4 styles of sandwiches given and I really liked the one with Curried chicken.

The cakes and scones were also nice and good amount. In the end, I believe I refilled on the curried chicken sandwich and 2 other cakes.

Memorable moment: During our tea, we saw these 'teens' with some bodyguards. We later discovered them to be some famous Youtube sensations --- we saw them looking out the window so when we went to check out what was going on, we saw the whole street filled with teenage girls taking pictures of the window and I guess, trying to get a glimpse of them boys.

Overall, it was a good first time afternoon tea experience. I was definitely feeling full and had quite a late and light dinner. The quality of the food was good (but not GREAT) and if I had to pay full price, I wouldn't be so inclined to have it. You won't be disappointed by this place but you may not be WOWed either.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank clam2000
Dear clam2000

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent Afternoon Tea experience.

I have personally addressed your constructive comments with our Beverage and Food team. I am very sorry that your experience was not as you expected it to be. I am pleased to inform you that we have just remixed our W Rock Tea and I am very proud that Gizzy Erskine has created and added 3 specially designed cakes to our W Rock Tea offering which certainly enhances the afternoon experience.

If you do wish to experience our new tea offering, please feel free to get in touch with me personally via Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

We paid about £300 for a one night stay, and I did expect to have a bath and a bigger room. The staff were okay, but didn't seem to like that I wanted to pay cash. I asked for a do not disturb sign that didn't show up in the end, so I was woken up in the morning.

The soundproofing was very good, and so were the blinds which made the room pitch black.

Room freebies were also good, but I was still a bit disappointed, with my friend having told me how nice the W is in Seoul.

My recommendation is head somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Willy11186338
Dear Willy11186338

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent visit to W London - Leicester Square.

I am very sorry to hear that your experience was not as you expected it to be, and was very concerned about the comments you have raised which I have shared with my team.

I would really like the opportunity to discuss your comments with you personally, and perhaps if you would like to you can contact me via Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com

Tervuren, Belgium
Reviewed 13 March 2013

The W is a very stylish hotel in an incredible location in London. If you are seeing a show in the West End, this is the place to stay. The staff is friendly and the rooms are incredibly spacious for London. The only downside to the hotel is the emphasis on chic makes some things unnecessarily complicated. It took us almost 10 minutes to figure out how to turn off the lights to go to sleep and it was almost 1 day into our stay before we figured out where the trash can in the main part of our room was. Silly things, but a case of making things overly complicated for the sake of style.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Leicester Square can hear a little bit of street noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jenn_in_Belgium
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear Jenn_in_Belgium

Thank you so much for your great review. I am pleased to know that you had an enjoyable time with us. I have taken on your point about the lights and the location of the wastebin, and will of course review this.

I look forward to welcoming you back to W London in the not too distant future.

all the best
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Ive always had a good experience at the W hotels, whether its in NYC, Barcelona, Istanbul and ofcourse London leicester Square.
Firstly one things for sure that they are all very centrally located..so if U r a tourist travelling alone or with family,you will be right in the hub ...and attractions, restaurants and shopping are all easily accessible.
I had a super comfy stay at the W leicester square..the Wow E suite was super fab and luxurious..the check in was fast and very welcoming.
the hotel bar/lounge is cool- hip crowd..artists,etc..didnt need to step out of the hotel to party..
and the "Whatever Whenever" service is very efficient.
If walking around the crowded streets of leicester square is your thing, then this is the place to stay.:-)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Tanya2312

Thank you very much for your great review. Glad to see that you enjoyed our Extreme WOW Suite and that our talent thoroughly looked after you. I am very happy to have such a responsive team and we constantly do work on personalising everyone's experience.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back very soon.

Best regards
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2013

After watching Saturday kitchen my best friend Monika and I decided to have a try in this restaurant called the Spice Market , to sample the food . after watching Saturday kitchen i wanted to try what the chef Peter Lloyd cooked his signature dish: Black Pepper Shrimp, Sun Dried Pineapple , we didn't only had the Signature dish but we had around 14 dishes , believe me it was like seating in Royal banqueting . I will list every dish we had , I have spoken to my friends regarding the place many of them are ready to book.
Our waiter was Miguel ( from Spain), gentle person he looked after us from the moment we seat down to the end. My friend Monika had a cocktail recommended by Miguel and myself a none alcoholic cocktail. Great atmosphere every waiter/waitress face looked happy and happy to work in this beautiful surrounding.Few Managers in suit come to us to see how we were doing. We placed our order . As i said our fist dish was the Signature " Black Pepper Shrimp" and like we say in France and in french 'Delicieux and Succulent and suddenly dish by dish arrived to our table eve dish was explained by the waiter , the way the Executive chef Peter Lloyd explain on BBC Saturday Kitchen . I wanted to list all the dishes everything was so good so perfect so professional . I decided not to list all the dishes the deal is you have to go yourself and try it ! No regret like Edith Piaf will say " Non je ne regrette rien". Thank you so much for looking after us.

Kémal Chetitah

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kemal55
Dear kemal55

What a fantastic review. We are very proud of the achievemens and the improved menus of Chef Peter Lloyd, and I have already passed on your comments to Spice Market. Peter is contstantly trying to make new innovations, and currently we are running an amazing Malaysian promotion. You should come and try it!

Look forward to welcoming you back to W London and Spice Market.

London
Reviewed 9 March 2013

Stayed at the W hotel last night for our 4th anniversary, we had very high expectations considering the price bracket... What a great entrance and customer service on the door was excellent, entered into the beautiful lobby and couldn't wait to see what the room would be like.

Upon entering the room it was OK but not the level at which the rest of the hotel set our expectations... quirky layout of having the sink on a central unit in the actual room and then the showers/toilet in separate rooms was all a bit weird and didn't work that well. Very clean and tidy but didn't take our breath away.

Room was directly below the gym which meant that every time someone went on a bloody treadmill upstairs we could hear them crashing away above us.

Then it came to breakfast... poor, cold food and £9 for poached eggs then £5 for a cup of apple juice!!

Left today feeling pretty robbed... take my advice and if you want to have an ultra modern hotel in London, go to the Park Plaza Westminster... went there last year and paid literally half the price of the W and it was incredible in every way.

Room Tip: DON'T let them put you on the 5th floor, directly below the gym and all you'll hear is peopl...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dougpn
Dear dougpn

Thank you very much for your review. I am glad to hear that you found our talent and their service excellent. I am sorry however to hear that the design and layout of the W London room did not meet your expectation.

Please feel free to contact me directly next time you decide to travel to W London, so I can personally oversee your room allocation in order to avoid any discomfort and dissappointments. You can reach me via Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com