“Very cool. Nice location”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #389 of 1,063 Hotels in London
San Francisco
“Very cool. Nice location”
Reviewed 30 July 2013 via mobile

Stayed here as a platinum member. Got upgraded to a studio suite. Very nice. Large for a city hotel. Cool W style. And great internet, which is rare these days. Nice to have Spice Market downstairs. And a very nice Platinum breakfast. This place is not exactly a family hotel, but great for couples. And within walking distance to great shopping.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Mpolatin,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square and in particularly the Studio Suite and your dining experience in Spice Market.

I hope to see you return to W London – Leicester Square soon.

Ian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I stayed at this W with my wife and two young daughters. We were very pleased overall with service and experience.

Ahead of the stay I contacted the hotel and explained what we were looking for. The manager replied that the Cool Corner room wasn't going to work but gave us an upgrade to Junior Suite.

The room wasn't ready when we arrived but they gave us a loaner. When we got to our room they had set up a camp bed for my daughter complete with a few presents and some candy. She felt so special.

Location is very central between Leicester Square and Chinatown and yes it is noisy and busy. If that isn't what you are looking for stay elsewhere but if you are just worried about noisy rooms simply call ahead and get something on the Chinatown side.

One last word on staff. It is rare to find a hotel where everyone is this friendly and effective. From bell-service at the door through to the maids cleaning the rooms not forgetting Whatever Whenever and check-in. Even the bouncers (main entrance feels like a nightclub late at night) were friendly). Bravo to whoever manages personnel. Brilliant across the board.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Ydris5
Dear Ydris5,

Thank you for sharing your review. I am pleased to hear that overall you and your daughters enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. Thank you for your kind words on my team. I will definitely share these with them as they too will appreciate this.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

London was the start and end of our visit to Europe. We only stayed one night at the start of our trip, but my daughter liked it so much she asked if we could stay there at the end as well. From the moment we arrived, we felt welcome. Every staff person we encountered was friendly and helpful, welcoming us back and making sure we didnt lack for anything.

I checked with the front desk and was able to reserve a suite for the end of our trip. We also used the hotel's car service to and from the airport. With three people the cost was only slightly more than taking the express train and then a cab. We had the same driver, our request, each time.

Yes, on the weekend the place has a club atmosphere, but not in a way that is bothersome to other guests.

The one minor issue with our room was quickly addressed and fixed.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and look forward to staying here again the next time we are in London.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear lisah559,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London - Leicester Square. I am pleased that both you and your daughter enjoyed your stay with us including the services provided to you by our Talents. These warming notes hold great value and I will definitely be sharing these with my entire team.

I hope I will have the opportunity to welcoming you back soon.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 28 July 2013

This hotel has plus and minuses. The location and service are on the positive side. The nightclub aspect of the property (and the noise that goes with it) and the funky bathroom scene are minuses. Your sink is in the middle of the room, with a separate toilet and shower chamber. Not a room to be shared if you have privacy issues!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear wstmark,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at W London Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear your stay with us was not to your expectation. Regarding the room design and features, it was our intention to have the rooms designed to both maximise both space and keep our guests comfortable. I can understand that this is not everyone’s taste.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to W London – Leicester Square. Please let me know when you plan your next stay, as I would like to oversee your reservation personally. You can reach me via email on Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I have stayed in many W Hotels and usually have a good experience. This hotel is one of the WORST for service that I have ever experienced. The front desk manager made us feel like imposters for asking basic questions. We will never go back, neither to this particular W or to any other.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
10 Thank kate d
Dear kate d,

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback following your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. I was sorry to hear your stay with did not meet your expectations. I would like the opportunity to discuss the above points raised with you personally. Please feel free to contact me via email Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I have been for a few Afternoon Teas at different 4 and 5 star hotels and have to say that I was very impressed with the W Rock Tea. The sandwiches and cakes were delicious. The items were not too fancy – but they consisted of the usual favourites that almost everyone surely loves! For example, the Battenberg cake, salmon sandwich and mousse cup were delightful. There was only one item I didn’t enjoy and that was something called sticky fingers that was just 100% meringue. The tea selection itself was sufficient but by no means extensive. The Tea takes place in the W lounge so it’s quite informal.

I only have 2 criticisms of the afternoon tea experience: firstly, they only served 1 scone per person, which was not sufficient; it should be 2 scones per person (having said that, the scone was nice but it was certainly not the yummiest I’ve had). However, the clotted cream and strawberry jam were divine. Secondly, not all the items on the menu were served; instead they were substituted certain items with different treats. Having said that, the substitutes were delightful and yummy but I just wanted to make the point, in case there are some people who expect to get exactly what the menu offers.

The 4 slim sandwiches and all the sweet treats were somewhat filling – but as I mentioned already I could have done with just one more scone.

The waiter was attentive and extremely pleasant, although I did feel he was lacking in knowledge about the cake menu as well as the tea menu. The afternoon tea was well presented in the usual tiered cake stand (see my attached picture). Also it was my friend’s birthday and they brought out large tasty cupcake, which was very sweet of them.

I would recommend the W Rock Tea and in fact I will go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Georgia B,

Thank you for sharing your review following your visit to W London – Leicester Square. I was pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your Rock Afternoon Tea experience and the choice of pastries provided.

Regarding scones, we do offer refill without additional cost when requested. I apologise that this was not explained to you at the time. I have shared your feedback with the relevant managers to ensure further training is implemented in order to maintain the highest level or service and standards which is expected at W London – Leicester Square.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We regularly stay at the W Hotel in San Francisco and assumed the W London would be of similar quality. Even though the W London is much more expensive, it is shabby and 15 years past its prime. The bar area looks like it hasn't been updated since the 1980s with uncomfortable seats. Our room - an expensive suite - was small and in much need of a new coat of paint; the furniture was chipped. We booked a crib for our child ahead of time, but it took two hours to arrive despite numerous requests. When it arrived, it was unceremoniously dumped into the room; we had to make the bed ourselves. There are plenty of much better places to stay in London (cheaper too).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Nick M
Dear Nick M,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us at W London Leicester Square. I am very sorry to hear that your stay with us was not to your expectations and in particular the décor of our lounge and room.

I am sorry to hear that the crib was not set up for you. I have shared this with the relevant managers in order to prevent any reoccurrence and in addition we will implement further training in order to ensure that the highest levels of standards and service s are maintained.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back again to W London – Leicester Square. Given the opportunity please do contact me so that I can oversee your reservation and room allocation. You can reach me via email on Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com