“Avoid”

Ranked #396 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Brooklyn, New York, United States
“Avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Unless you are on a one night business trip traveling alone, avoid this hotel. The room set up without a private bath/sink/shower area is very irritating. I have stayed at comfortable and stylish W hotels in the U.S. in L.A., Seattle and San Francisco, and liked the rooms and the hip vibe. My husband and I disliked this hotel so much, with its horrible bathroom arrangement and lack of cleanliness (moldy shower) , that we checked out after one night and moved to another Starwood hotel. The staff was very understanding of our concerns, and helped facilitate the move so we knew that our concerns were not unusual. The neighborhood is also not ideal unless you like the seedy side of London.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue D
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 2 September 2013
Dear Sue D,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback about your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us was not to your expectation.

I appreciate your point about the design of our rooms. It was our intention to have the rooms designed to both maximise space and keep our guests comfortable. However, I can also understand that the design of our rooms is not to everyone’s taste.

I would like to thank you for your kind comments on my team. I will certainly be sharing these with all of them and it is always a pleasure to be of service to our guests.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back to W London again. Please let me know when you plan your next stay, as I would like to oversee your reservation personally. You can reach me via email on Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com

Ian

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

We got a 2 for 1 deal on afternoon tea here & I am really glad that we did. Although quite nice, it certainly wasn't worth £25.
I think there are far too many sweet items on this tea & not enough sandwiches. The sweets were very pleasant but not outstanding. The tea and coffee was very nice and we were offered more. The staff were also very nice and attentive
The ambience was not what we thought it would be as it offers a rock theme afternoon tea but there was no music to be heard at all. The only rock theme appeared to be the LP discs that the tea was served on. Enjoyed but wouldn't rush back!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Troughton,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to W London Leicester Square. I am pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your Rock Afternoon Tea with us.

Your feedback is important to us and I will certainly share it with the relevant heads of department to their review. Your kind words on my team are greatly appreciated and I will certainly be sharing these with all of them as they too will appreciate this immensely.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2013

All in all, this was an amazing hotel stay thanks mostly to the staff who seem to be always at your beck and call: and to the location which is a great base for sightseeing, theatre, people watching -- everything a tourist comes to London for. The rooms are the only negative and not really the room itself but the lack of a "real" bathroom. Somehow a sink in the bedroom, a toilet in what should be a closet and a shower with no place to dry off is not my idea of good design. I know I am old and about as un-trendy as it is possible to be, but I don't think a proper bathroom is too much to ask.

In spite of the bathroom issue, we loved the hotel. As senior citizens we might be expected to be annoyed by the constant noise and tumolt of the area but we loved it. It was so alive! We enjoyed watching the "beautiful people" who hung out and the red carpet event that took place right outside our door. We walked to the theatre and to the National Gallery and took buses or the tube all over the city. The location is amazing.

The staff is the best we have ever experienced at any hotel we have stayed at. They were always accommodating, helpful, and always with what felt like a genuine concern for us as guests. We have been to 5 star hotels all over and experienced snooty staff who seem to make an art of ignoring customers. Here the staff seemed to all enjoy what they were doing, and were pleased to be doing it. From the greeters at the door, to the concierge, to the management each staff member was friendly and helpful. And, perhaps just as important, it was always easy to find a staff member if you needed one.

We had one special request that took some explaining but as soon as the desk staff understood what our problem was, she smiled and told me it would be taken care of. When I later spoke to another staff member to arrange things, she told me that her colleague had already taken care of it and spoken to her about it.

I can't praise the staff enough. I just wish the rooms were more comfortable for old fogies like me.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear bubby21,

Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at W London – Leicester Square and our excellent location.

However, I was sorry to hear the design and features in the room and in particular the bathroom did not meet your expectation. I can understand that this is not to everyone’s taste and I am sorry for this.

In addition, I am pleased to hear your plans worked out well. Once again thank you for your warming comments towards my team, your kind words hold great value to me and I will definitely be sharing these with all of them.

In the meantime, I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Rome, Lazio, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2013

I should let you know first off that this was going to be a 4 star review but since the staff at this W demand customers to be happy with there stay it turned out to be a 5+ rating for my partner and self. We started out in a Cool Corner suite but when we booked online it stated there was a bathtub in the room and we really wanted one. Upon arrival into the room there was only a walk in shower:( So we called the front desk which they apologized since the UK web site and US web site state different descriptions of this room. The manager Matthew Facey was unable to move us that night but said the following day he could promise a bathtub and breakfast was on him anything we wanted :). So the next day after some shopping and site seeing we returned to move into our new room. We went to our room and was shocked to see we had been upgraded to a WOW Suite (5 class levels above our room type). I was beside myself and very pleased. The manager Matthew even came up to deliver our luggage plus making sure we were 100% happy. We will be sure to visit this hotel again in the future trips to London. Thanks again to all the staff who made our stay and my first time to London one to remember and treating your SPG gold members so wonderful.

Room Tip: Try the Restaurant in the Hotel it has such amazing Thai food.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear Christopher G,

Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very pleased to hear that both you and your partner enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including the services provided to you by my team and especially Matthew Facey, our Welcome Desk Manager. These kind words hold a great value to me and my team. I will definitely share these with all of them.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Parkland, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

I stay in London several times per year for business. The staff at the W are amazing. Particularly the Ambassadors (door). Great advise on food, coffee and all things west end. They guys and gals are really first class and I would recommend a stay at this W anytime. It is a little nutty in this part of town but everything possible is within walking distance of the front door. Beds are super, shower is hot and most of all the hotel is ultimately clean. All services are world class.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dear Dzool,

Thank you for sharing your great feedback. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including your room and the location. Thank you for your kind words on my team this is greatly appreciated and I will certainly be sharing these with all of them and in particular the Ambassadors.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alamo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

When planning the London segment of our trip, I'd initially expected to book a traditional English hotel. After hearing positive reports regarding W Leicester Square, I took a flyer and booked it for four nights. Our sixth floor room was dead quiet despite the neighborhood mob scene at night. The room itself is a lesson in great space planning, functionality, and style. In short, the rooms are pretty cool even from the perspective of an "old" geezer like me! We loved the location... easy tube access... Leicester Square... countless restaurants and pubs within easy walking distance... and an over-the-top friendly/helpful staff. This one's a winner!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this review, 19 August 2013
Dear George B,

Thank you for sharing such a great review. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your say with us at W London – Leicester Square and the location. Your warming notes on my team hold great value and I will definitely be sharing these with all of them.

It will be my pleasure to see you returning to W London – Leicester Square.

With kind regards
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Stayed one night 16th August. Double room. Room well thought out. Modern stylish. Superbly comfortable bed. 300tog bedding. Fun. Clean. Staff very helpful and professional. Spa superb. The bar is terrific and clientele very young and international on the whole. Great cocktails. Terrific location in Leicester Square.

Room Tip: Great for international travellers. Under 40 demographic.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Caroline C,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including the services provided to you by my Talents. Your kind notes on my team hold a great value and I will definitely be sharing these with all of them.

I look forward to welcoming you back.