“Stuffy and claustrophobic”

W London Leicester Square
Ranked #401 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This hotel has a real claustrophobic feel to it, all I felt like doing the whole time was opening a window and letting some fresh air in ... that's my point there are no windows!! Rooms are very small and stuffy couldn't find the light switch for about 5 minutes far far too modern for me. Didn't like the bar either it was absolutely packed of Z star like celebrities not for me at all. Will never go back

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tan019
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Tan019,

Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay with us at W London Leicester Square. I am very sorry to hear that your stay did not meet your expectation.

I appreciate your point about the modern design. We believe the rooms are designed to both maximise space and keep our guests comfortable in all aspects. I can understand that this is not to everyone’s taste.

I would like the opportunity to welcome you back again. Please let me know when you plan your next stay, as I would like to oversee your reservation personally. You can reach me directly via my email Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com

Ian

Write a ReviewReviews (2,038)

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We stayed two nights at this hotel. I've read the reviews and was skeptical but I was pleasantly surprised! The staff were friendly and helpful. We arrived at 3p.m. but our room wasn't ready. We were offered rooms on the 2nd floor but was advised against it as I had requested for a quiet room. So we left our luggage at the concierge and went for a walk.
The W was so conveniently located we strolled towards Piccadilly Circus and Regent Street. Leicester Square is a great place to sit and people watch. We also spent our time in the lounge which was a popular hangout. Our waiter offered us a more comfortable seat when they became available (it was a good touch). The lounge had wi-fi and our drinks arrived promptly with a side of nibbles. We were very happy not to be moved.
Our room was spacious and modern. It was an aesthetically pleasing version of an upscaled Ikea. There were plenty of mirrors and a lot of light, which I find very impressive. Most hotels we've stayed in are very dim and dull and would do with another bulb or two. Also, there are 4 lighting modes in the room which I find very useful.
The WC was literally a water closet. The shower was spacious and the bath products were lovely. The problem we had with them were the lack of ventilation so there was a slightly stale smell in the those rooms. There was an iPhone dock and the an electricity socket in the safe too. The wardrobe has a padded sliding door which slides over to insulate further noise from the hallway - genius!
We really felt at home in the middle of London.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Wardour Street for a bit of quiet. Forget the breakfast and sleep in because t...

Dear MayBurns,

Thank you for taking the time in sharing your review. I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including the excellent location. I would also like to thank you for your kind words on my team. These hold a great value to me and I will definitely be sharing these with them.

I look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We wanted somewhere to stay on our wedding anniversary and couldn't have picked a better hotel. Great style and location. Very friendly staff and a very relaxing stay.

We had a corner room - classy decor and everything you'd ever need, except for in room tea making facilities. Room service fantastic though.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Jonno008,

Thank you very much for sharing such a great review. I am very pleased to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square during your wedding anniversary met your expectation. It is always great to see a guest detailing a flawless experience. Thank you for your kind words on my team, I will certainly share these with my entire team.

I look forward to welcoming you back to W London – Leicester Square soon.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Had a single night in the W London for business. A quality experience, very handy to be in Leicester Sq to go for a walk and a nice meal in the evening. The W rooms are really well designed for a smallish space, the bathroom and living spaces all blend together. A friend was upgraded to the penthouse WOW suite - now that was amazing, had to be seen to be believed. Icluded fully rotating circular leather couch to ensure you can customise your view!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear john c

Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very pleased to hear that your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square met your expectation including the excellent location. I hope to welcome you back on your next visit.

Reviewed 15 November 2013

Most W Hotel bars across the USA are happening funky places, ideal for after work drinks.
Unfortunately, that model has not transferred well across the Atlantic.
After arranging to meet friends for drinks, half of our group were already inside, the remaining few to come. All were young professionals, with jackets and collared shirts and sober.
At 8pm for reasons that are unclear, the remaining few members attempted to enter the bar and were scolded by an over zealous bouncer for apparently walking on the wrong side of the door. They were then herded like cattle into a small roped off area to be 'interviewed' by some guy with a clipboard. Apparently he was the 'Guest List Manager'. Our group were further admonished because of course 'you can't just walk in' without speaking to the 'Guest List Manager'. Combined with bouncer, they formed quite the obnoxious pair.
It was half empty at the time with no line up outside.
Not unreasonably, our friends refused to be interrogated by a guy with a clipboard at 8pm to get into a half empty bar for an after work beer.
We then all left the venue and spent several hundred pounds at an alternative establishment, where fortunately you don't need to be interviewed by pretentious and obnoxious guys with clipboards to enjoy an after work beer at 8pm.
The door staff have clear delusions of grandeur and would benefit from some customer service training.
Even by London standards, the drinks are outrageously expensive, the theme of pretension pervades the establishment with even more guys inside walking around with clipboards and grandiose job description titles.
Our group has a prolonged stay in London and the W Hotel have missed out on us being regular clients. At a rough guess, this would equate to somewhere between 4-5000 pounds. A sum few hotel bars could afford to lose in a competitive market.
Try one of the many nearby alternative upscale bars and avoid the deplorable behaviour of the staff at the hotel entrance.

• Stayed: November 2013
6  Thank SquawkerMelbourne

Dear SquawkerMelbourne,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us. I was sorry to hear your visit to W London – Leicester Square did not meet your expectation.

We do take guest feedback very seriously as we are always looking for ways to improve upon guest experiences. I welcome the opportunity to discuss all the points you have highlighted in person or on a one to one basis in detail.

Please feel free to contact me via email Ian.Ciappara@whotels.com at your convenience

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards

Reviewed 13 November 2013

Both my partner & I visited the W London hotel for the first time on Friday 8th Nov. This was a surprise 1 day "get-away".
Upon arrival we were greeted warmly by the hotel reception. Check in was a breeze & we were upgraded, which was a nice surprise. The room we stayed in was absolutely fabulous, we couldnt have wished for anything better. (We have both stayed in luxurious hotels previosuly).
When we returned later in the evening a bottle of Moet was chilling which was a very nice touch (thankyou).
Breakfast in the Spice market was exceptional, we opted for the cooked breakfast and this was beautiful.
"Maybe" the ONLY negative point was the loud music we could hear late into the night, however this hotel is situated right on Leicester Sq itself, so anyone expecting a quiet night should go to the Cotswalds... :-)
A big thankyou to the hotel for a wonderful experience

Room Tip: Go floor 6...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Nigel C,

Thank you for sharing your great review with us. I am very pleased to hear that both you and your partner enjoyed your first stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including your breakfast experience in Spice market. Your warming words towards my team hold a great value to me and I will certainly share your note with my entire team and Chef as they too will appreciate this immensely.

I look forward to your return to W London – Leicester Square.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

The location of the hotel couldn't be more central if you want to be in the West End, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus, Oxford Street, Regent Street or Covent Garden area. Rooms are a bit trendy for those looking for traditional hotel room layout. For example, there is a sink/worktop/desk area in the middle of the room. I quite like it. It's like an upmarket CitizenM. Rooms are quite pricey for what it is. Shower not the best design as they had to place a towel in the shower to prevent the water from flooding into the room. Not sure if it is suitable for family. If you are looking for a modern hotel in the centre of all the action, this is a good choice.

Room Tip: Go for higher floors. We were on the 2nd floor. It was noisy at night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Ian C, General Manager at W London Leicester Square, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

Dear sfchang,

Thank you for sharing your review following your stay with us at W London – Leicester Square including the excellent location. We take the feedback of our guests seriously, as we are always looking for ways to improve upon on our guests’ experiences.

Thank you once again and I look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to W London – Leicester Square.

Warm regards